PDA

View Full Version : Emulators, ROM's and all that fun stuff...

Manamana
02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey, I just downloaded SNES emulator and FF6 ROM, but when I try to load the rom in the emulator it wont work. I can find it in the emulator it just says there is no file to load... anybody got a answer as to how I can get it to work?

NM
02-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Which emulator are you using?

Manamana
02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm using the SNES Emulator, if it helps I found out that when I downloaded FF6 it was a 'read only' version. I though that might be the problem so I tried again, and I got a 'read only' version.

crono_logical
02-20-2005, 10:52 PM
If you downloaded the ROM from this site, you need to unzip it first with something like winzip or winrar.

What's the exact title of the emulator? It should say in the title bar - if it doesn't have a title bar, describe what it looks like (probably zsnes in this case).

Manamana
02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
I have unzipped the ROM. And your right, the emulator is ZSNES

crono_logical
02-20-2005, 11:29 PM
In ZSNES, you should be able to go to Game > Open ROM, then select the unzipped ROM file (it will have a .smc extension) and it'll play it.

The ROM being read only doesn't seem to have an effect for me when loading it. Maybe you've got a .srm file in the same folder with same name as the ROM? That's probably what's read only, and is just save game data. You can safely delete that, and you probably want to if you've not played before, since it won't be your save games anyway :p If that doesn't help, then what is the exact error message?

NM
02-20-2005, 11:40 PM
The other thing to look out for. When a ROM is loaded in ZSNES it should say in the bottom corner. "Check Sum OK" If it says "Check Sum Fail" then you've probley got a corrupt ROM file. In that case try downloading the ROM from another website.

Manamana
02-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks, I finally got it working.

But I have on more question. If I burnt them on a CD-R, could I use them on another computer? I'm trying to get them to my PC in my room but I don't wanna screw around with it if it isn't possible.

Levian
02-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Yes, it works fine.

Manamana
02-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Thanks, that should be all the questions... at least for now