PDA

View Full Version : Stupid me. (ROM Trouble)

Magnus2501
02-21-2005, 03:31 AM
Sorry, but I'm new at using emulators and ROMs and I was gonna try starting with the FF1 ROM in the downloads section.

First I downloaded the NES Emulator and the FF1.nes (they're both sitting in a folder in my C-Drive). Now, I have the nesticle.exe program up and I can't figure out how to load the ROM and play it.

BTW, I'm planning on buying either Origins or DoS, but I have a question. People on the GameFAQs boards say the DoS is crap easy compared to Origins and I was wondering if there is any truth to this?
I want a more challenging game and since DoS means buying the GBA along with it for me, I don't want to spend money on an overly easy game.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

omnitarian
02-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Instead of guiding you through running NESticle, I'll simply reccomend you use NESten instead: http://tnse.zophar.net/NESten.htm

I haven't played FFO, but I don't think Dawn of Souls is radically different from it in terms of difficulty. The great thing about FF1 is that you can tweak the difficulty to your liking, by choosing different parties.

abrojtm
02-21-2005, 06:47 AM
I would also recommend using NESter or NESten or something more user friendly. In those, all you have to do is go to File>Load Rom>Then find the spot in your C:\ drive.

FFI is great. FF:O is pretty much a replica (with the ability to change difficulty) with updated graphics. FF:DoS, however, is radically different. It introduces new items, armor, weapons, optional dungeons, optional monsters, and optional bosses. If you're looking to play FFI in its original glory, go for FFI or FF:O. FF:DoS is really a fun game and the new bosses/dungeons/etc. are really fun.

Also, you could might just use an emulator for DoS.

rubah
02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I use virtualnes myself. It's nice and plays ff2j, which is more than nesticle could do for me:) the only thing is the buttons I like to use correspond to the quick save button, so you have to change quick save slots often or pick other buttons (which is too much trouble^_^) to access the menu

commodorejohn
02-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I use FCE Ultra (highly efficient emulator with a lot of compatibility,) but nNesterJ is also cool. Any emulation site will tell you that whatever you do, DON'T USE NESTICLE!

MarikTheYuke
07-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Yeah! FCEU is da bomb!!! :up:

Magaso
07-01-2005, 04:12 AM
The Newest thing about FF1 in DoS is the use of Regular Mana! Now you can use just mass Flares as long as you have 50 mana! And Ethers!

Butz
07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Regular Mana?? you mean mp??

and there's ethers, horray..

Alexander
07-01-2005, 02:59 PM
THIS made the game idiotly easy.

Play Origins. 'Nuff said.