PDA

View Full Version : Pod G4 vs Pod Mini

Eternal Snow
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
heys alls~

haven't been here to the forums for quite a long time now so you can sort of say i'm new here~ hehe~

anyways, i'm sure this topic has been brought up a number of times but yah, hope that you'll bear with me while i explain the situation i have here~ LoL~ have been pondering about this for a couple of weeks now~

details:

Pod G4 - S$550 - 20 gig - quite large in my opinion
Pod Mini - S$450 - 4 gig - decent size

what i'm looking for in the players is basically that i have enough space and that it's size is not too large~

abit of a background information just in case~

over here, there's this brand called Creative~ Creative is a well established local brand that has a player which is quite simiar to pod and have better functions and is more economical, but i simply do not like the design~ however, it has this player called Muvo N200 which is about 2mm more in thickness as compared to a pod shuffle and only 1/2 the length of the shuffle at the cost of about S$250 but only has 1 gig of space~ i thought of getting it because it's small and has the recording function built in, but it's LCD screen is just too small to scroll through multiple songs~ i have to look at the track names to find the songs~

bonuses:

1) have recording function
2) have enough space
(i have about 1 gig of legal mp3s in my comp but i also have a number of cds (about 20+) which i might want to load inside~ not to mention other songs which may come in later)
3) reasonable price
(not that i place emphasis on this but looking at the price above you sort of can't help but think about it)

uses:

1) while studying
2) traveling
3) while hanging out

hope you all can help me out~

deejay
02-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I prefer the 20GB because it can also be used to backup data..

But personally..i perfer iRiver mp3 players ^^

Eternal Snow
02-22-2005, 02:28 PM
i used to like iRiver alot too, until my mp3 discman went dead in less than a year~

Mokona
02-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a 20gb iPod... i love it! :love:

Lindy
02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Creative have been making MP3 and audio devices for FAR longer than Apple, and they're far better at it.

Not only are Creative devices cheaper, support more audio formats and have greater storage capacity, they're also no Apple products and that boosts them by a million times as well >_>

Don't buy either.

Buy a Creative product, maybe a MuVo, or the MuVo X-Trainer is pretty good, though I have a 30gb Nomad ZenNX, which while being about a year or so old now, is still awesomely good.

If you want to waste your money and go for something new and up to date, get a Creative Zen Micro, which is about 5gigs I think, and they come in a variety of colours. In fact, they generally look a lot nicer than iPods too.

But don't fall for the idea that iPods are the only high storage MP3 players out there, there's more companies and products available than I'd care to count.

Eternal Snow
02-22-2005, 02:53 PM
if Creative comes into the picture, i probably won't choose zen micro, on the basis that based on my preference, i don't quite like the design of the zen micro~ if Creative's zen micro looked somewhat more plain or close to a pod, i would have bought it immediately~ no offense Creative supporters~

as for price, i don't quite mind the cost~ however, in the end i must like what i got~ i feel that is more impt than anything~ cause if you love it, you'll treasure it~

Leeza
02-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Whoa, I agree with Lindy! iPod is all about image and looks.

Also, iPod has an internal battery, which is not replacable. Creative's is replaceable and rechargable.

Destai
02-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I "want" an ipod. I'll settle for a mini but if i can save enough Id defitely get a 20gb or higher.

Brian The Pink Shark
02-22-2005, 04:30 PM
i got a 20 gig one and it is really good, personnaly i dont like the design of the mini ipod, but it really depends on how big your music collection is, :choc:

Eternal Snow
02-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Creative have been making MP3 and audio devices for FAR longer than Apple, and they're far better at it.

Not only are Creative devices cheaper, support more audio formats and have greater storage capacity, they're also no Apple products and that boosts them by a million times as well >_>

Don't buy either.

Buy a Creative product, maybe a MuVo, or the MuVo X-Trainer is pretty good, though I have a 30gb Nomad ZenNX, which while being about a year or so old now, is still awesomely good.

If you want to waste your money and go for something new and up to date, get a Creative Zen Micro, which is about 5gigs I think, and they come in a variety of colours. In fact, they generally look a lot nicer than iPods too.

But don't fall for the idea that iPods are the only high storage MP3 players out there, there's more companies and products available than I'd care to count.

hmm, just adding~ i don't really want a pod cause of it's high storage~ but because i really really really like the scroll system which is easier than a zen~ tried both before so yah~

Also, iPod has an internal battery, which is not replacable. Creative's is replaceable and rechargable.

i've always felt that something that looks gd plays a part in whether you'll treasure it or not~ (unless it's given of course, that's a diff case) but come to think of it, yah there'll be battery problems~ thanks for bringing it up~ will ponder on it~

thanks too to the rest for their views~ feel free to provide more as i won't be getting it within the next few days~ maybe next week or so~

Brian The Pink Shark
02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
speaking of battery replacement does any one know how much it costs to have it replaced, in £sterling please :choc:

Samuraid
02-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Buy a Creative product,

Creative >>> all

Nod
02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
i have a 20GB Creative Zen Touch mp3 player. it has lots of cool functions (which i dont have time to mention suffice to say you can find out on the creative website), and its battery lasts for 24 hours which is much better than the iPod (i think they only last bout 8hrs). I really like it, tis a little bit thick, but relatively small. :)

Lindy
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Apple's batteries cost, from what I've heard somewhere between £50~100, and you have to send it away to get the battery replaced.

For Creative products they cost about £10 or so, depends where you get them from.

Though one thing, when my Nomad broke, I went through the returns process and sent it back, thinking they'd just send me back mine repaired, but instead they just sent me a whole brand new, complete set, new player, box, carry case, battery, leads, EVERYTHING.

I doubt Apple would do the same thing, nor would they re-instate the year warranty on the new product carrying on one year from when you recieved the replacement like Creative do.

Dr Unne
02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
http://creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=4908

Dingo Jellybean
02-23-2005, 05:44 AM

They actually are replacable, Apple just recommends that they are not user-replacable.

Apple's batteries cost, from what I've heard somewhere between £50~100, and you have to send it away to get the battery replaced.

Though one thing, when my Nomad broke, I went through the returns process and sent it back, thinking they'd just send me back mine repaired, but instead they just sent me a whole brand new, complete set, new player, box, carry case, battery, leads, EVERYTHING.

I doubt Apple would do the same thing, nor would they re-instate the year warranty on the new product carrying on one year from when you recieved the replacement like Creative do.

The batteries for the iPods are around $15-$30. Only people who don't want to replace their whole iPods will spend $100 to get their iPods replaced. A lot of people who own iPods don't know how to replace it. But the few who bother to look online will realize it takes only 3 minutes and $20(for me anyways). Apple does replace everything, so if you send back an older 1G iPod, they'll send you back a new 4G equivalent. The only thing is that if the only copies of your music is on the iPod, Apple will NOT copy those files for you. If you send them your iSkin and iShade and such, Apple will NOT send them back to you. But most people have enough common sense to have backup copies of their files and such.

I have a 3G 15GB iPod. I love it. Yes, it is about fashion and such, but the iPod is actually a great piece of machinery. I'm not saying it's the best MP3 player out there, but I can't imagine scrolling through thousands of songs any other way. The way the iPod was designed is almost perfect IMO.

If you want an iPod, for the 4G 20GB instead of the Mini. apple will release a 6GB color-screened mini in a few weeks at $250 anyways...so don't waste your money on the current mini's now.

I went and got an older iPod(3G), which is better than the 4G iPod since it has no movable parts. Plus it was a lot cheaper at $160.

But the main reason to buy an iPod is that there is a market for them. The accessories that comes for the iPod far outnumber anything else. I use my FM transmitter all the time, it's made specifically for the iPod so that it plays through the dock instead of being filtered through the headphone jack. Plus there are actually stereo systems dedicated to the iPod alone...but they aren't cheap. The best one on the market now is Bose's Soundock, made specifically for the iPod at $299. It uses the same technology as Bose's Waveradio, so you can expect pure sound quality.

But I went and bought some nice satelite speakers for $17 at Target and they work great.

Yamaneko
02-23-2005, 06:35 AM
I have the Creative Zen Micro. It's great!

Eternal Snow
02-24-2005, 02:38 PM
If you want an iPod, for the 4G 20GB instead of the Mini. apple will release a 6GB color-screened mini in a few weeks at $250 anyways...so don't waste your money on the current mini's now.

Is there a specific release date for the color-screened mini?

Dingo Jellybean
02-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Is there a specific release date for the color-screened mini?

Well, apparently it's not color screened now. Apple just released a 6GB Mini at $250, while dropping the current 4GB mini at $199.