PDA

View Full Version : what to know what "Dirge" means?

cloud20747
02-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Dirge means sad song
so the name of the game is the sad song of cerberus??

Destai
02-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Others said Dirge means pain or killer/destroyer/enemy. Vincent had been called the Dirge of Cerberus.

cloud20747
02-23-2005, 02:52 AM
well i read about it in english class today

Cless
02-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Everything you ever wated to know about the word dirge! :D

dirge ( P ) Pronunciation (dûrj)
n.
1. Music.
a. A funeral hymn or lament.
b. A slow, mournful musical composition.
2. A mournful or elegiac poem or other literary work.
3. Roman Catholic Church. The Office of the Dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, an antiphon at Matins in the Office of the Dead, from Medieval Latin drige Domine, direct, O Lord (the opening words of the antiphon), imperative of drigere, to direct. See direct.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dirgeful adj.
Word History: The history of the word dirge illustrates how a word with neutral connotations, such as direct, can become emotionally charged because of a specialized use. The Latin word drige is a form of the verb drigere, “to direct, guide,” that is used in uttering commands. In the Office of the Dead drige is the first word in the opening of the antiphon for the first nocturn of Matins: “Dirige, Domine, Deus meus, in conspectu tuo viam meam,” “Direct, O Lord, my God, my way in thy sight.” The part of the Office of the Dead that begins with this antiphon was named Drige in Ecclesiastical Latin. This word with this meaning was borrowed into English as dirige, first recorded in a work possibly written before 1200. Dirige was then extended to refer to the chanting or reading of the Office of the Dead as part of a funeral or memorial service. In Middle English the word was shortened to dirge, although it was pronounced as two syllables. After the Middle Ages the word took on its more general senses of “a funeral hymn or lament” and “a mournful poem or musical composition,” and developed its one-syllable pronunciation.

Luthien Rogue
02-27-2005, 11:39 AM
I love my dictionary. n.n

Go to www.m-w.com if you need to know the meaning of a word. ^.^

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
i go to dictionary.com

eestlinc
04-01-2005, 02:31 AM
A dirge most certainly a song of mourning. You can of course use it figuratively in various other contexts, but that is the meaning of the word. If you want to discuss the potential meanings of the name, I suggest this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=58269).