PDA

View Full Version : Sub-Titles Going To keep you from Buying FF: AC ??

Nakor TheBlue Rider
02-23-2005, 12:09 AM
I Will buy Advent Children Regardless of Subtitles or even if it has very poor & crappy Voice overs.

Nothing Can Ever Stop me!!! Even if they Banned it in Canada, I'd Just Buy the US or Japan Version. :evilking:

amratis
02-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I chose the top option, I mean....duh! ;) :D

deejay
02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Nothing will stop me from buying or seeing FFAC!!!!
Seeing the actions is already enough for me ^^

Mirage
02-23-2005, 04:43 PM
It's more the other way around. Original speech with subtitles is better than english dubs. I'm not voting either. None of the options suit my opinion.

Yuffie514
02-23-2005, 05:19 PM
i don't really care :p , just as long as i don't have trouble reading them :mad: . i hate the small subtitles in some of the Chinese movies i have :mad2: . i rather the subtitles are in the black strips when watching on a widescreen :) .

Doomgaze
02-23-2005, 05:36 PM
I Will buy Advent Children Regardless of Subtitles or even if it has very poor & crappy Voice overs.

Nothing Can Ever Stop me!!! Even if they Banned it in Canada, I'd Just Buy the US or Japan Version. :evilking:

They don't really ban things in Canada just because they suck, you know.

MecaKane
02-23-2005, 06:04 PM
You might aswell be asking if the new pokemon movie is going to be subtitles only. I hope it does have a subtitles option, even though it'll probably be a better job than most animes or video games, cause Square has the monies.

Dignified Pauper
02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
japanese voice with subtitles rocks... look at crouching tiger: hidden dragon

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Except the people in that movie spoke Chinese.

amratis
02-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Actually wasnt it Mandarin?

Mirage
02-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Mandarin is a language which they speak in China.

Palindrome
02-24-2005, 03:02 AM
With today's techno-thingies, they can record the lip movements of the voice actors and animate that in the movie to make lip movement more life like. This also means that when changing the language instead of trying to voice over you can reanimate and synchronize the lip movements with great ease. But for a B movie i think it is more work than SE is willing to put into it.

strawberryman
02-24-2005, 06:16 AM
I never really thought about it, seeing as how I never really finished FF7. :lol:
but that's just because I lost the 2nd and 3rd discs. :cry:

Eternal Snow
02-24-2005, 07:22 AM
personally, i feel that there's many things that ppl will consider~

first there's those who feel that Jap voice by itself is the best~ might be due to the lip movements or just the Jap feel of it~ also no sub titles to cover the action and you don't get distracted~

then there's those who want the Jap feel but don't understand Jap~ i myself fall under this category~ these ppl will be the ones wanting Jap voice + subtitles~ correct me if i'm wrong but most anime watchers all fall under this block~

thirdly, there's a group of ppl who prefer to listen to it in english~ no distractions from the show, no covering of action~ with the sacrifice of lip movements and the Jap feel, you get to understand what's going on at that same instant just as if you're watching an English movie (i'm refering to those w/o the subtitles)~

Except the people in that movie spoke Chinese.

Actually wasnt it Mandarin?

Mandarin is a language which they speak in China.

a lil off topic but to sum these up, Mandarin is often referred to as Chinese too~ in short, Mandarin = Chinese~

amratis
02-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Well you learn something everyday, I didnt know that, thanks :D

I fall under the category of wanting subtitles rather then dubbing but I wouldnt mind watching dubbing. Well, I wouldnt mind watching it with *no* subtitles atall, as long as I was watching it :D

LastCetra
02-24-2005, 10:13 AM
I couldn't care less about dubbing or subtitles as long as it's here soon!

JAS4Yeshua
02-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm one who prefers it in English. Final Fantasy X had great voice-overs with a great voice cast. I'm hoping that the movie will follow the same lines.

Will Japenese with English subtitles cause me not to buy it? Probably not, but I would be slightly disappointed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-24-2005, 05:01 PM
I hope it has the subtitle option, I've seen bad dubbers spoil the feel of a game before. Not always though, Zone of the Enders and Disgaea both had great English dialogue. Xenosaga's original voice actors (with the exception of the guy who now does chaos, who I like more in the second installment) were all pretty good, but the Japanese ones were better.

Cless
02-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I would prefer English dialogue only if it's done well. Failing that, I have no problems with subtitles at all. I would have a problem, however, if there is poor dubbing and no selectable Japanese language track. I'll still get it no matter what though!

Maya
02-24-2005, 06:09 PM
I don´t care if there´s subtitles.
I actually like subtitles more than dubbed versions.
I wish there would be subtitles in that movie or atleast good english voices. My japanese isn´t that good :D
We have subtitles in every foreign movie in my country.
I wish to see ac very soon.

Armisael
02-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I chose the top option, I mean....duh! ;) :D

Sefie1999AD
02-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Since FFVII: Advent Children won't be dubbed into Finnish, I'm going to use subtitles anyway, no matter which language it will be in. :p

Necronopticous
02-27-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm going to download it as soon as it gets fansubbed because it's going to come out in Japan before it comes out here in the U.S. so I'll first see it with subtitles but that's not going to stop me from buying the DVD when it does come out here.

CloudStrife48
02-28-2005, 04:42 PM
ill buy it, then ill watch it probably about a thousand times (even without subtitles) until well... the disc dies!

nothing will keep me from seeing that movie! even if square announced they were dropping it completely, id goto japan and run in their corp and steal it! muahaha! :tongue:

Nakor TheBlue Rider
03-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Doomgaze: They don't really ban things in Canada just because they suck, you know.

:mad2: :mad: :smash: :down: :irked: :shoot: :twak: :chop: :trout:

Thats Pritty Much my response to you Doomgaze

If they Did they'd have to ban your opinion :p

Lucky Charms
03-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Shoot, subtitles are nothing. I'd even watch it in Japanese.

fire_of_avalon
03-07-2005, 02:41 PM
I prefer subbing to dubbing, so I would rather see it as a strictly subs movie.

Zante
03-07-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm going to get it no matter what, but I would prefer english voices.

zimmunky
03-07-2005, 05:43 PM
so is it still coming out in a week? i thought there was more hype the closer it got and its really really close but there no new news or anything. did anyone hear anything about it?

Del Murder
03-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Don't you guys think subtitles take your focus away from the action? I don't like having to read when there is some strong dialogue going on in an important scene. I also don't like hearing another language, since it is basically meaningless noise to me, but that's beside the point.

amratis
03-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Subtitles dont detract my attention I find, though it probably comes down to personal preference. I personally find dubbing distracts me alot more as when I'm watching a scene with a fair bit of dialogue, the fact that what they're saying doesnt match up with the way their lips move is quite distracting and fairly annoying to me.

Greiver205
03-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Its going to suck so bad if it doesnt come out here in English...Im going to be so pissed off. But i'll still get it. I really want to know how all the characters would sound like in english

**ShadowZone**
03-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I will buy no matter what. I must see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Yea me too i guess

AkiraMakie
03-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Don't you guys think subtitles take your focus away from the action? I don't like having to read when there is some strong dialogue going on in an important scene. I also don't like hearing another language, since it is basically meaningless noise to me, but that's beside the point.

Well, not me because, ive been watching anime with subs since the days of DBZ fan subs, so that was definately awhile ago. Its like after awhile, you learn to look at the screen and take in the writing while not accually loosing focus of the action. Its really a subconcious thing. You dont really even notice it after awhile. And to me, it almost feels like i understand what the charecters are saying, but its really just me reading the subtitles without taking my eyes off the action.

i accually dont have a prefence when it comes to dubs or subs. Sometimes i will like an anime that is sub and then sometimes i will like an anime better when its dubbed. Ie., i like "Great teacher Onizuka" better subtitled, but i like watching Cowboy Bebop Dubbed, which by the way has excellent voice actors. It all really depends i guess on which version i saw first. i get accustomed to hearing charecters one way and it annoys me when i hear a different voice to a charecter i already know. Like DBZ for instant. im so used to Goku's High pitched voice.

anywayz.... nothing in heaven or earth could stop me from getting FF:AC. After waiting so long, i wouldnt care if it came just in japanese with no subtitles.

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 08:01 PM
If it were only in japanese i would get extremely pissed...but hopefully it comes out in english or at least subtitles...

amratis
03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
It will definetly come out with at least subtitles. They wouldnt release it in Europe and leave ppl with no way to actually understand what the people are talking about. That just wouldn't make sense.

Greiver205
03-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Yea i doubt they are that dumb to do that...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-08-2005, 01:14 AM
movie........must see...... must see movie........ now..........must see movie now!!!!!

Greiver205
04-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Lol...me to...twitch...twitch

Drift
04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
id probs prefer it with subs since licensors usually choose crappy ppl 2 do the voice overs original japenese sounds better in an anime anyway look at dragon ball z in japenese/cantonese compared to english sounds so much better

Greiver205
04-09-2005, 05:34 PM
well i would rather see it in english voices no matter what...i dont think they will be that bad anyway, square-enix can get good voice actors i think.

Mercen-X
04-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I'll simply read the subs aloud. My voice can replace anyone (except the girls) in FF7. Mhm! lol

Greiver205
04-12-2005, 12:01 AM
lol..wat about Red XIII

Croyles
04-21-2005, 09:17 PM
you forgot to add an option for "I prefer subtitles to annoying american voice-overs"

no offense intended, sorry, but after Tidus you just gotta be careful.

so ill just go for "nothing will stop me"

Greiver205
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Lol...good point.

Lionx
04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Mandarin = Primary DIALECT of Chinese
Cantonese = Secondary DIALECT of Chinese.

I speak Canton :x

I prefer subtitles with japanese. Because even with Chinese movies dubbed, i would say its crap, it does NOT capture the feeling at all and therefore it dumbed down the movie. And unless Square has a real good sub, i am going with fan subbers, becuase offical subs alot of the time dumb down Chinese movies and anime in general(well for chinese no dubs or subs unless its in mandarin anyway..).

I'll simply read the subs aloud. My voice can replace anyone (except the girls) in FF7. Mhm! lol

You sure? ;) SCREEEAAAM! O.O

Vyk
04-23-2005, 10:48 PM
You guys must live in the stone age. Or haven't checked out dubs recently. Graned 4kids and Funimation aren't the best. But they're also not the only ones out there. I'm one of those anime watcher that prefer dubs. But I've also learned the ability to soak in a scene (text and all). Though I also feel like I have to then watch it again, just to be sure... which is kinda annoying. But yeah. Once you're used to subs, your mind starts using english words with the voice tone of the original actors. I think back on some of the animes I've watched, and remember exactly what they said, in english, but have no recollection of even seeing subtitles. Subtitles just disappear in the nostalgic memories. But still. That's beside the point. I would personally prefer they release it both. I completely trust them to do a good job dubbing. Like I said in another thread. With the relationship they have with Disney. And Disney's quality in dubbing already. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they teamed up with Disney on this and did a kick-ass english release. Also I agree that FFX's voices were well done. So there's really no question. IF it gets an english dub. It's going to be a good dub. But really they'd be wisest to give us an option.

Lionx
04-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I hope they give us a good dub, because some of the anime i seen just butcher it up like HELL...someone going watch out! is so different and the voices do not match character =/ But hopefully you are right, i had a bad experience with dubs everywhere.

Vyk
04-23-2005, 11:33 PM
I understand completely. I'm very selective about my dubs. Just lucky so far I guess. For the most part anyway. But I honestly don't know why I prefer them. Guess I developed an affinity when I learned I'd been watching anime my whole life (Voltron and stuff). It was in english... I never had experience with horrible dubs until after I become accustomed to good ones. So it's either good dubs or subtitles. Win/win for me. Somehow.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-24-2005, 01:36 AM
I am one of those who prefer subs. Dubs are almost always done badly, and I didn't even like FFX's dubbing. The mouths do't move with the words, and you have to completely alter the script because the translated sentances don't fit the original. Even the best dubbing makes some extreme sacrifices.

I don't care if I don't understand the language completely, I can hear the tones of the voices and the feelings portrayed as they are originally intended. And with the words at the bottom, you know what they are saying, so all the messages are getting across. Obviously there will always be problems with the direct translation of the dialogue, but at least it doesn't have to further get butchered in trying to make it look like it fits with their mouths. On top of that, it has to get the same emotional feelings across.

The characters show a lot of body language, facial expressions, and so on, which are all cultural. It's like a foreign dance to foreign music. When you change the music to sound like 'our' music, then the dancing doesn't look right, because it doesn't fit the music.

Keeping the Japanese voice acting keeps everything in tact, and the subs translate the language over and you get a mroe authentic representation of the movie as it was originally intended, without further butchering.

I believe they should have a sub and dub option on the DVD release, but I pray that if there is a theatrical release, it will be subbed, because subbed is ALWAYS better, in my opinion, with some very rare exceptions.

Disgaea is one of these exceptions. The mouths don't move, and the voice acting is pretty good. Or Kingdom Hearts, where they changed the mouths movement to match the english words, and also had decent voice acting.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-24-2005, 03:44 AM
I should also point out that subtitling is much more likely to preserve the original intent of the dialogue, as they don't have to try to match lip movements, especially given the differences in length between some Japanese words and English words.

BackRoomKid
04-24-2005, 06:42 AM
^^^bit time...for example:

i watch Crouching Tiger:Hidden Dragon in subs...really good movie blah blah

i buy the DVD and watched it in dubs...i will NEVER watch in dubs again...the subs were waaay better...just as Behold the Void said, it keeps in the originated content, not just paraphrasing the dialogue

Heath
04-24-2005, 10:29 AM

It's obviously easier to watch a film without having to read the subtitles, though subtitles don't overly bother me.

It'd be nice if there was an option for Japanese or English voices with subtitles avaliable. If only to be able to compare the voice actors and be able to watch the film in Japanese.

HanaKirei
04-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Meh...I've been watching things subbed long enough that I'm just completely used to them. ^^; They don't deter me from the action at all. Maybe because I'm a fast reader. But yeah. I tend to prefer things subtitled. Advent Children also has a few VAs I'm familiar with, so I'm looking forward to hearing them take on the roles of some of my favorite characters. ^_^

crazybayman
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Yep. Me too.

The way SE has been teasing us with delaying everything that is Final Fantasy lately, I bet they'll release it in Japanese, with subs, then redo the lip movements, and re-release it at a later date with english voice-overs, causing fools like me to buy 2 copies!!! :mad:

Or have they made annoucement on this?

KoShiatar
08-19-2005, 09:14 PM
There is not my options.
I *WANT* Japanese audio.
With or without subtitles.
I wouldn't buy an English-audio only edition.

here for a limited time
08-19-2005, 09:20 PM
how the hell do u get a an english dvd if its an jappanese movie?? there has to be english words in it!!

Lushs
08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
I'd still buy it ofcourse!

Although, it would suck to read it the whole time... :(

but still soooo worth it!

Vanilla's vanilla
08-20-2005, 02:03 AM
you know i have to read subtitles whole my life, why? I'm deaf. :tongue:

BackRoomKid
08-20-2005, 02:31 AM
^^^glad you have a sense of humor about it

i'm gonna reserve my copy today....EB games or GameStop????
which ever ones gets it first i guess...

Daemion
08-20-2005, 04:39 AM
I like that they are keeping the japanese voices. It sounds much better that way.

Meat Puppet
08-20-2005, 06:05 AM
I can't read

BackRoomKid
08-20-2005, 08:09 AM
^^^lmao, we got funny people on this site

reserved my copy....hooray for me

voice actors or not, i still got my copy

Vanilla's vanilla
08-21-2005, 04:36 AM
but i'm really deaf.

Lord Magician
08-21-2005, 08:46 PM
It would be better in english so I could pay more attention to the movie and action, THAN READING A BUNCH OF LETTERS AND WORDS! :mad2:

Vertisce
08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Lets get our own group of people and do our own voiceovers.

ultima88
08-22-2005, 04:10 PM
id buy it wether it was dubed or subed, id get it ever if its was all in japanese

Vertisce
08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
id but it wether it was dubed or subed, id get it ever if its wall all in japanese
Sense no made it, english not read can

crazybayman
08-22-2005, 06:45 PM
There is not my options.
I *WANT* Japanese audio.
Well, that certainly makes sense if you are Japanese, or understand the language.
However, it would be great if they also did an English version, complete with lip movement alterations, to make it appear that they are indeed speaking in english.

Ehn.........either way, I'll still buy it.

Lord Magician
08-22-2005, 08:35 PM
I know there is going to be no english vocies. They would have said it by now, or made a trailer with english vocies!! :eek: DID NOT THINK OF THAT HUH!? :cool:

crazybayman
08-23-2005, 12:27 PM
I know there is going to be no english vocies. They would have said it by now, or made a trailer with english vocies!! :eek: DID NOT THINK OF THAT HUH!? :cool:
Actually that's why I asked.

Lord Magician
08-23-2005, 08:20 PM
My bad, you see I skip whater ever I don't seem a point of interest so I probabaly skip you. My bad, But it's true what you and me said. Other people don't see it through our eyes. But they will see later! :rolleyes2

Strawberry_Mew
08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Nothing will stop me from buying it XD Been waiting to long for it and can't wait for it to be relesed XD

Lord Magician
08-23-2005, 08:28 PM
There is a lways that 0.00001% chance squaresoft screws America and does not release it here.

I mean, they are still mad about the World War 2 bombing!

crazybayman
08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
There is not my options.
I *WANT* Japanese audio.
Well, that certainly makes sense if you are Japanese, or understand the language.
However, it would be great if they also did an English version, complete with lip movement alterations, to make it appear that they are indeed speaking in english.

Ehn.........either way, I'll still buy it.

Another thing........all the characters don't even look Japanese, or even remotely Asian, except for maybe Yazoo and Kadaj, but just slightly at that. Yes, it is being created in Japan, but if the characters look more caucasian, you'd think they'd do the frickin' movie in a caucasian language as well as Japanese(which I assume should be english, as this will most likely be the language that most FFVII: AC purchasers will speak aside from Japanese) just as they did with FFX and FFX-2.

Movies can still be great in captions, like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Hero. However, its just not the same, and as I said the characters don't look Japanese, so why limit the DVD to just Japanese? It will be pretty funny seeing Barrett speaking in Japanese :p

For some reason, I was hoping for an english trailer all along, and now that an english trailer hasn't been released, with less than 1 month to go, its a safe bet that it will be just in Japanese and captioned in English. :mad:

Ah well.....I'm still looking forward to it. I guess Square realizes that english speaking fans will still buy it, captioned or not, so why spend the money on redoing it in english. (I hope I'm wrong though :p )

ReiHino
08-24-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm buying advent children as well waited too long just to quit now.Been following it ever since day 1.
The E3 trailor is the best one shows cloud with his g/f aries in the flower garden.She's happy to see him again but he's angry at himself for what happened.

Vertisce
04-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I just thought I would point out...the movie is out...and...its in English too!

Starcrest
04-30-2006, 08:13 PM
indeed, but i'd seen it b4 at my friends house, who dl'd it, and it only had subtitles, so it didn't bother me that much. IMO i think i'd watch it in english dubbing just to see the difference, see what was lost in the translation, so to speak oO

Mercen-X
05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I'd never seen it before . . . I highly anticipated its April 25th Release (the same for Aeon Flux.) I bought it last Tuesday (the day it came out). I had to have it the day it came out so I could add it to my "first day" collection. Currently, it's only KH2 and AC. I've watched it at most 3 times a day since I got it. I mostly can't get enough of the Cloud-Kadaj battle scene with the Jenova Death music BGM. It's so awesome. Although, the banter aboard the Shera really cuts into the music.