PDA

View Full Version : Knight or Ninja

Gunblades
02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Top choice in FF

Knight includes Darkknights, while hand to hand combatants would be in a differnt poll

Martyr
02-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Forget speed and acrobatics.

Save that junk for games like Zelda.

In Final Fantasy, it's all about who has the biggest sword, who swings it hardest, and who is hurt worse after getting hit.

Knights.

rubah
02-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Oh man, Ninjas.

How much cooler are they?

Chopseuy
02-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Knights. Its true, its all about power. If your fast bu only do 2 damage on HP, haha your hilarious, but your gonna die next turn.

Ultima Shadow
02-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Knights. Its true, its all about power. If your fast bu only do 2 damage on HP, haha your hilarious, but your gonna die next turn.
Since when did Ninjas do 2 dammage per turn? In FF, Ninjas are often 1 of the most powerfull classes... however... beats Knight and Dark Knight. But if the Ninja was fast enough to have as much as twice the agility of the knight, then the Ninja would have been much more powerfull dude.

Gunblades
02-24-2005, 10:36 AM
you might die laughing at a ninja as they run around in their PJ's :)

Yuffie514
02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
the Paladin has powerful skills :) , but ninjas are my choice :) . i have a super powerful one in FFTA that's just as strong as Marche :cool: .

Gunblades
02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Ninja - armoured in shadow, defeated by battery powerd torchs :)

Zante
02-25-2005, 08:46 AM
http://img103.exs.cx/img103/7885/assassin.gif

Ninjas forever!

Gunblades
02-25-2005, 08:26 PM
i actually wrote a essay on how ninjas armour is actually their closths because silk is a defence against arrows etc

Flamethrower
02-25-2005, 10:04 PM
I'll compare them game by game.

FF1 - Knights are better than Ninjas.
FF3 - Ninjas are better than Knights.
FF4 - Cecil is far better than Edge.
FF5 - Knights are better than Ninjas (barely though).
FF6 - Shadow is better than Cyan.
FF7 - I guess Cloud counts as a Knight. In which case, he's better than Yuffie.
FF9 - This one's close, but I liked Steiner more than Amarant.

Final Score: Knights 5, Ninjas 2.

Both are great classes, but Knights are generally better, I find.

ljkkjlcm9
02-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Dude Cyan is better than Shadow!!!

THE JACKEL

Flamethrower
02-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Cyan is horrible with magic, and sword techs take forever to use. He can't even use the best swords in the game. Shadow on the other hand, has a pretty good balance between power (with the Throw command), magic, and speed.

Ultima Shadow
02-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Dude Cyan is better than Shadow!!!

THE JACKEL
Not really. Shadows high speed, evade and perfect balance in all the other stats makes him 1 of the most powerfull characters in the game. The throw command is actually very usefull trough the whole game if used correctly and Interceptor is a GREAT bonus. Shadow > Cyan any day. :cool:

rubah
02-25-2005, 11:03 PM
amarant's limit is much better than steiner's though.

chakra-all=pwnze.

Del Murder
02-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Well, we aren't Cid's Ninjas.

DocFrance
02-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, Cid's Ninjas work behind the scenes and ban people when you're not looking.

Slade
02-26-2005, 10:01 AM
I prefer knights. Mainly cause Edge from FFIV put me off ninjas.....i really despise him. Yuffie is cool and Yoshimitsu from Tekken is like, the coolest ninja ever to walk the virtual earth, but thats only two, whereas i like nearly all knights.
Oh and im pretty sure Amarant wasnt a ninja......the throw camand dosnt automatically make you a ninja, i mean, i can throw and im no ninja....

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 10:31 AM
the only ninja i liked was shadow, the rest sucked pickled eggs. Knights are cool in and out of armour, hey chocobo knights in FF10/10-2 were all glamazons with no pants on, how can that go wrong. Even Steiner who wa aweful was cool in his rather funny armour, but he had neat swords.

Flamethrower
02-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Oh and im pretty sure Amarant wasnt a ninja......the throw camand dosnt automatically make you a ninja, i mean, i can throw and im no ninja....

The "Throw" command is as much associated with ninjas as the "Jump" command is associated with dragoons. He may not be a traditional ninja like Edge or Shadow, but he is more like a ninja than any other class.

Dark Matter
02-26-2005, 05:34 PM
hehe, you guys are wrong! Amarant's a monk!! :)

I prefer Ninja just because of Yuffie. oh man, I love Knight too, but never mind that, I'll simply vote for Ninja. The End.

Flamethrower
02-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Just because he uses a claw as a weapon doesn't necessarily make him a monk. What Amarant's true class is has been debated for a long time, but in the end, usually most people think he's a ninja.

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 08:14 PM
surely he's a theif/assasin. He was being hunted for being a theif and he came to assasinate the goodguys

Slade
02-27-2005, 02:58 AM
surely he's a theif/assasin. He was being hunted for being a theif and he came to assasinate the goodguys

Thats what i always thought he was...........or a bounty hunter.

Flamethrower
02-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Amarant is an assassin and a bounty hunter but those arn't character classes in Final Fantasy. It's like saying Edge's class is a "prince" rather than a ninja because he's a prince.

Also, Amarant isn't a thief. To my understanding, Zidane stole something in Treno and Amarant was framed for it. There was a flashback at some point in the game that showed it.

Rase
02-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Ninjas, cause they tend to be cooler characters, plus Speed and agility are my two favorie things that affect battles.

Gunblades
02-27-2005, 06:20 PM
i still dont see how running around in your underwear is cool lol

Rase
02-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey, Superman's cool.

Destination0
02-28-2005, 02:52 AM
I like ninja

Gunblades
02-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Batmans cool too, but superheros are in a class of their own

rubah
02-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't get the whole 'ninjas wear nothing but underwear' insinuation.

I mean, none of the ninjas I've seen were just in panties and boxers. Generally they seem to have a few more clothes than that.

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 03:24 PM
it isnt an insinuation, it was a joke...PJ's, Ninja's look like they are running around in their PJ's.

Dking'squeen
03-01-2005, 03:37 PM
no, they don't...all the time. True, some of them do, but then again it's something that they wear so that they can get the job done. I said knight, but i don't agree with the fact that someone said power over speed, but if a knight can be fast and strong, there you go

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 11:42 PM
it's a nerd lie that you carnt have power and speed, or that speed can always beat power. it's a fact that in fighting, CONTROL is the ultimate, and thats a life lesson i have got from fighting for real.

Most ninja garb is light for stealth, dark for camo, loose for loosing quickly and silk because its arrowproof. also the silk can tangle and mess with their blades cutting edge

kalaspappa
03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
I like swords... big, bad swords....

Gunblades
03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
:)

Harvest Moon
03-14-2005, 03:21 AM
I hate bulky armor, being a mage and all..

if we're trying to sneak into something the ninja being a master of stealth will be no problem but the knight and all his honkytonk metal will surely give us away.

Half the reason knights are so tough is cause they're the reason you get into fights in the first place!

Another thing i don't like about knights is they're always guys, never pretty girls. And ussualy whiny guys at that.

Then again ninja boys can be pretty annoying too "00h! I @m t3H r0cK0rz!1!" and the ninja girls uhh! *Thinks of Yuffie and is scarred for life*

Ofcourse knights tend to be more stupid too, which is good for me to manipulate them..

Knights also won't give me no backtalk in my plans for world conquest.

Knights also are less greedy when it comes to sharing treasure. Ninja are second only to theives in that category.

And you only have to run faster then the person next to you. In which case i'd rather have the walking pile of metal instead of a stealthy uber mofo..

Course if we come across a rust monster we're screwed..
Then again the ninja is more likely to backstab me..

BAHH! I HATE YOU ALL! *Summons Tiamat*

http://www.planetnintendo.com/ff1/monsters/tiamat.gif
I like knights.. cause they're shiny..

Guess i'm going with knights this time around. -_-;

Gunblades
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
if you keep your armour well maintained it's not that noisy :)

rubah
03-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Tell that to Steiner.

Gunblades
03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
:) he didnt look after his armour

Dking'squeen
03-15-2005, 03:41 PM
obviously. That stuff went clanking all over the place

KuRt
03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Its true, its all about power. If your fast bu only do 2 damage on HP, haha your hilarious, but your gonna die next turn.

That ainīt hilarious. well it kinda is but that is hilarious when your chars have 255 all stats, except hp and mp are 9999 and 999

Gunblades
03-16-2005, 03:05 PM
maybe that was just the pea inside Stieners hollow skull lol

Wiegrahf42
03-28-2005, 04:23 AM
A ninja would sneak up on a Knight and slit his throat end of story.

Rostum
03-28-2005, 05:02 AM
I'd like to be a knight.

Martyr
03-28-2005, 06:12 AM
A ninja would sneak up on a Knight and slit his throat end of story.

With what? A laser knife?

We're comparing knights to normal ninjas. Not god-ninjas who can slice through steel.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-28-2005, 06:47 AM
A Knight in Full Plate Mail is pretty much invulnerable to anything the Ninja might try to pull, especially with a visored helm. The best a Ninja could hope for is throwing a needle through the visor or the chinks in the armor, which is damned hard to do. On the other hand, a Knight'd probably have some difficulty hitting the Ninja due to the weight of the armor, but they can still get some decent speed on their swing so if a Ninja were to engage a Knight in close combat they'd probably eventually get cut down. A Ninja's best bet would probably be to try to knock out the Knight by bashing the helm with something hard, but that's probably not going to fly with the Knight trying to skewer them on their sword. Thus, in a fight to the death, the Knight will probably eventually win, if he's smart enough to conserve his energy while the Ninja tries stuff. He can afford to be passive, the Ninja cannot. If he decides to chase after the Ninja, however, he's more likely to get winded before the Ninja, and if he collapses, the Ninja can go for the kill.

Generally I'd give the fight to the Knight. And in Final Fantasy terms, since we're using *all* of the Knight types, we're also including Dark Knight, Paladin, and the like, giving the Knight even more of an edge.

FieryxNightxSky
03-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Ninjas due to the fact tehy can throw items and wepaons, use veil, nija magic and double sword in all the FF games. Plus with the high speed and evade with the atatck power i don't normally get hit unless by magic. sorry but i like ninja

Gunblades
03-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Behold the Void - it's so nice to see someone think out their answear first.
Of course, a broadsword is actually just as fast as any oriental sword, it's the fighter who will speedup or slow the situation. Ive been in alot of situations where my opponant moves so fast all i do is remain focussed, take one step forward and they move so fast they kill themselves on my sword because they expect me to react in panick and i dont.

Fireblade13
04-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Knights. I meen sure you can't hit what you can't touch but the knight has all the time in the world because that ninjas hitting for 1-50 damage depending on the game.

strawberryman
04-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Knights.

Gunblades
04-05-2005, 10:41 AM
if you carnt touch the ninja, then he carnt touch you....said the wise man on the mountain

smittenkitten
04-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I vote Nights!!\\come on Squall and Seifer are nights and they're HOT!!I just love night's in ff :love:

Zante
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
A Knight in Full Plate Mail is pretty much invulnerable to anything the Ninja might try to pull, especially with a visored helm.

I doubt any armor can give 100% protection, there have to be openings so that the wearer of the armor can move. And the ninja would just need to throw some dirt into the visor to blind the knight.

Gunblades
04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
actually it was common practise to slip into the slits of oriental armour, but the same rarelyt works for knights, often the whole armour is a tightly fitting working mechanism, and even when you do get close enough it's childs play to take off the ninjas head. As for tossing dirt in the visor, they were designed to limit exactly that, as well as other shrapnel. I get the giggles how some people think knights will simply stand still or move slowly to allow a ninja to act.

RedCydranth
04-06-2005, 04:40 AM
So you knight advocates are saying that all the years of training in the way of the sword a ninja goes through are going to be thwarted by a guy wearing armor whaling around a large sword and shield? You dont take in effect the actual agility a ninja has. Speed trained properly will overcome strength and defense. A true ninja will find a weakness and isolate that as his/her target.

On the other side of the coin a Knight is trained to handle his weapon to be more than "whaling" it about. He/she is also trained to defend its weaknesses.

Overall I think a Ninja will win, but the fight is a good one.

Now that I have that covered, I feel that that entire argument is completely off topic. this IS a Final Fantasy question and since none of this fall into play in any FF game, its irrelevant. In FF games Knights are superior because FF focuses more on strength and swords than speed and skill. Example: FF1. Knights were hands down the strongest class physically. Ninjas were decent, but Knights hit harder.
Another example is FFT. The only reason a Ninja may have the edge over a knight is the 2 swords ability. However take that ability and place it on a knight and you have a knight who is better. With one sword, knights beat ninjas as well. FF5 Knights are better than Ninjas too IMO. In no other game that I can think of (ff3 I havent played much, IDK if theres even a Ninja class) are there any Ninja/Knight comparisons. Sure Shadow is a ninja technically, as is Yuffie. However their system allows you to train them in any way you feel. So its down to you who turns out better. Yuffie or Cloud. Shadow or Edgar.

The ONLY "ninja" who has anything to say about greatness is Edge. But Kain and Cecil I feel equal him so theres a tie for that one. FF8, 9, 10, 10-2 do not have Ninjas.

Gunblades
04-06-2005, 09:27 AM
and you think that all the years that a knight spends as a squire, plus his knight period where he compeates in combat and lives combat would make him less experianced than a ninja, dont make me laugh. :p
i actually have taken these things into account, i have to or i wouldnt have been able to train people how to be the best they could be at swordfighting. speed more often than not will get you killed faster than anything, relying on streagnth will do the same. Competance and control are the real govening factor, and without them, everything else is just a weakness.
theres no shame in accepting that ninja was only designed to operate well in it's given enviroment, but frankly the most of the sword styles (not counting the type i teach) combined with a broadsword, even without armour, would leave ninja's a stain on the floor.

as for the relevance in FF, i intended this thread to be a giggle, if people want to stick to the law of whats possible in an FF, thats up to them :)

rubah
04-07-2005, 03:29 AM
I think what we need here is someone that's trained as a ninja.

Because there's an awful big sway of people that say they've had experience with knighting and stuff but not so many on the other side.

Gunblades
04-07-2005, 01:12 PM
actually one of the last group of people i traind was heavily into ninja, and you can read the philosophy behind it all over the place on the net and books. The thing is to be a competant swordfighter you have to be ready to fight with any type of sword let alone weapon, against anybodys combat technique, theres only any rules or restrictions if you agree them with your opponant first off. Ive used more classically "ninja" weapons and ive even had to teach people how to use them because they wanted to, so experiance allows me to judge, and waigh up the advantages and disadvantages. If someone did turn up who had been involved with ninja stuff from childhood as i have with swordfighting, i would welcome their experiance, but if someone has been restricted to one outlook, they may be hinderd like someone only learning and excelling in one form of martial art.

of course this can be applied to vedio games because someones gotta make those games and movies, FF does pretty well unlike the aweful LOTR movies

Nod
04-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Ninja. rapidity of attack and agility are paramount. An attacker cannot strike what is not there; and there are always chinks in an opponents armour.
:p

Big D
04-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Mediaeval plate armour is not completely impenetrable. Arrows, swords and pointed daggers will penetrate steel plate. A ninja could, in theory, stab an armoured knight through his armour. However, chain mail will stop virtually anything short of a battleaxe or war hammer. While it may not stop all blows, full armour will reduce or eliminate damage from most assaults. A knight's weapons, such as swords and halberds, have much greater reach than a ninja's non-projectile armaments. Of course, ninja are less heavily armoured and their weapons are lighter, so speed would be on their side in a duel. A ninja would have to dodge their way in close to a knight and do something particularly lethal; a knight, on the other hand, just needs to land one blow that's reasonably on-target and the ninja would be dead or incapacitated.

Another advantage is a knight's ability to parry. Swords and shields are effective for blocking attacks; a ninja's weapons are utterly useless in that regard.

Also, the entire 'purpose' of the knight just appeals to me more: valiantly charging into the midst of the most fierce fighting, as opposed to the ninja's way of sneaking about the place, looking for cheap and easy ways to pick off unsuspecting enemies.

Gunblades
04-08-2005, 08:09 PM
and silk was considerd arrowproof because the arrow couldnt rip it, so the arrow pushed the cloth into the wound, preventing most infection and removing the arrow more easily, but you have to take into account the numerous layers of armour (as you do by moving onto mail etc). Never the less, just getting a bad scratch in combat could and often did lead to a deadly infaction which, if not killing you, would cause a limb amputation, whos more likely to recive such a wound - ninja.
armour was also shaped and curved to prevent people from simply stabbing through their armour via deflection, or there wouldnt have been much point to it, thats why crossbows were more deadly than bows because the crossbow was closer range like a sniper.

if youve been tought PROPER sheild fighting, then you will know hoe bloody hard it is to fight someone who knows what they are doing with a sheild, and that on it's own, let alone fully armoured would stump a ninja (unless they had ninja magic lol) as for parrying, you can parry and block with ANY type of sword, but oriental swords being one sided are a hinderance, and the curve is even more of a letdown. BUT alot of people today, are tought compleate rubbish about how to fight, so EVERYONE is relient on actually learning something decent lol

i agree totally with you about valor and chivalry. I have had countless people who turnup and before they have even held a real sword they want to stab people in the back, once they become experianced in only a week, they can see how stupid this was, most people who stab in the back get hurt because a decent swordfighter learns to "sense" everything around them and will often turn around and hit you by accident. Backstabbing is a very VERY difficult technique to learn to do properly.

if you need to stab in the back it means one simple thing, you lack any ability whatso ever and your still gonna die. And your probably gonna die worse than an honest opponant.