PDA

View Full Version : Form of magic

Gunblades
02-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Blue, white or black. For strict magic users only :love:

Ultima Shadow
02-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Blue is often the most powerfull kind of magic. Mighty Guard and White Wind are classic kick-ass spells that always are usefull. It's also the most well-balanced kind magic, with both powerfull attack and support spells.

ljkkjlcm9
02-23-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm not much of a magic user, but whether you love to just fight, or use magic, white magic is ey to surviving. Black magic is good to take out groups, but they can be dwindled with attacks as well. Blue magic is good, but depending on the game can be more of a pain to learn. White magic is just key to surviving. And when white magic includes spells like Aero/Holy it has those attack spells to help you out if needed.

SO yeah, white is the best because it is always useful.

THE JACKEL

Destination0
02-23-2005, 10:54 PM
I like blue magic...
I contains both good offence and defence

Martyr
02-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Black Magic. Offence is the best defence.

Blue Magic is too frail. It's also too contrived of an idea. Realistically, attacking blue magics are black in nature, and healing blue magics are white in nature. So it's hard to say that blue magic even exists, except that humans can't seem to figure out how to teach the spells (And only monsters can? Wierd. Or stupid!?!)

Gunblades
02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
i like black magic because female blackmages are useually very sexy lol

Masamune·1600
02-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Blue Magic has to be the most useful in an overall sense; it takes elements of both Black and White Magic, while often adding creative twists. It can also, in certain circumstances, overwhelm an entire body of White of Black Magic with a few spells. In FFVII, for example, White Wind, Angel Whisper, and Big Guard are undoubtedly more useful than all of the typical White Magics combined. Normal Black Magic in FFX-2 consists entirely of elemental spells; something like Supernova or Annihilator is clearly more destructive.

Blue Magic also has twice occurred as a Limit Break set for a character. You can't tell me that Shockwave Pulsar and Degenerator (FFVIII) or Nova (FFX) are weaker than the Black spells in those games.

DocFrance
02-26-2005, 08:40 AM
What about Time Magic? Or Yin/Yang Magic? Or Summoning?

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 10:34 AM
i count summoning as differnt, just like im not counting materia or the ability to draw via GF's.

Flamethrower
02-26-2005, 05:02 PM
White magic is the most important.

Dark Matter
02-26-2005, 05:22 PM
i like black magic because female blackmages are useually very sexy lol
White Magic, because I love female White Magic Users. :<3: My little closed heart's beating fast, ah, I feel I'm becoming young again! :love:

Who are female Blackmages? Lulu, Edea, and then?? I can't think of any more!

DocFrance
02-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Despite it not being an option, I have to say Time Magic. Who can say no to haste?

rubah
02-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Jikuu magic rules-- pity they had to degrade it into black and white:/

but white magic gets teh most of it that I use, so I voted for that (regen, slow/slowga haste/hastega, float, compared to demi, stop, comet, meteo, quarter, mute, and 'death')

Flamethrower
02-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Who are female Blackmages? Lulu, Edea, and then?? I can't think of any more!

Rydia.

Also, sometimes White Magic can be just as powerful as Black Mage, with Holy.

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 08:25 PM
yeah but holy is whites only offenceise spell unless you count reflect

Flamethrower
02-26-2005, 08:42 PM
It's the only offensive spell they need. Holy is usually the second most powerful spell in a FF game behind Flare/Meteor/Ultima/Whatever the most powerful spell is in that particular game. Plus, their healing magic does big damage to undead monsters.

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 08:57 PM
and most often zombies are rear and it takes too long to get holy

Flamethrower
02-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Regardless of how much damage White Mages can do, their primary use is to heal and support the team. Sure, Black Mages can do huge damage with their spells, but they won't live long enough to use them without a good White Mage in the party.

Rase
02-26-2005, 11:17 PM
White Magic, mostly because it's just the way I am, defensive. I'd rather slowly kill something than try getting rid of it quickly and risk dying. And that's why Paladins are cool.

Yuffie514
02-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Black magic for me :) . why isn't Red magic in there :mad: :p ?

rubah
02-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Zombies are anything but rare in ff2j.

In some of those dungeons (most notedly, the snow cave, I *think*) cure was my best weapon.

Gunblades
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
FF2..i wouldnt know.

As a black mage you can use offensive magic and cure with basic items. The same carnt be said for white mages unless you stockpale deadly items

rubah
02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
You'd be surprised how many deadly items there are.

That's the only reason I could get vincent in ff7^_^ I was stupid and went there in disc one, so I ended up using all those bio 2 items on the sucker.

So I could have used several white mages in doing so. I don't think I did, but regardless^_^

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Giving white magic to my characters is always a much higher priority to me than giving them black magic. If possible, I will always have a cure and life spell on everyone. Having offensive magic is nice, but hardly requisite.

Gunblades
02-28-2005, 10:06 AM
nothings requisite, except you have one character alive etc. I just find in battles Black mages are more handy than white ones

DJZen
02-28-2005, 10:19 PM

They didn't. Jikuu magic wasn't a concept before FFV, so you could say it's sort of a latecomer as far as magic types go. Kinda like blue magic.

Also, there's been many female black mages. Maria was arguably the first since she starts out in the back row (ideal for a mage) with a bow (one of the most magic friendly weapon types) and an intelligence (black magic ability) stat 5 points higher than Frioniel and Guy. Terra and Celes both start out with some black magic. Selphie's limit break contains various black magic spells, and Rinoa's Angel Wing limit break is VERY black magic friendly. Then you have Phoebe and Kaeli who both had black magic. I won't venture into the realm of FFXI wherein anyone could be a female black mage if they wanted, since there's no real "characters" that you play as other than yourself.

TheSpoonyBard
02-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I voted for White magic, simply because it is integral to the characters' survival. Take this analogy if you will: Imagine you and a group of friends are stranded on a strange planet inhabitd by numerous evil critters. Would you rather a knife (symbolising Black Magic) or enough bread and water (White Magic) to feed the entire group for a week? Clearly White Magic will sustain the group longer than Black Magic will. I know it isn't a great analogy so please don't pick holes in it. It's just an example.

Something with a little more base is the immediacy with which you find White Magic. I havn't played any before FFVI so there may well be exceptions, but this is what I have found.

FFVI: Terra has White Magic right from the start.
FFVII: Restore is the very first Materia you find.
FFVIII: Cure is the first Draw point you come across.
FFIX: Garnet is the second character to join your party.
FFX: Yuna is with you from the 'beginning' of the adventure.
FFX-2: White Mage is the first DS you get after the initial sequence is over.

While typing this I have realised that you are given access to Black Magic round about the same time as White Magic, so this post has no feet on which to stand. Oh well...

strawberryman
02-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm evil. I use Black Magic.

rubah
02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by rubah:
They didn't. Jikuu magic wasn't a concept before FFV, so you could say it's sort of a latecomer as far as magic types go. Kinda like blue magic.

*regrade then.

I think it'd still have been awesome to keep it separate. Plus the name is so much cooler:P

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Black magic isnt really bad tho, n more than white in the FF realm

DarkLadyNyara
03-01-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm evil. I use Black Magic.
Heh heh. Same here. The way I see it, if you kill everything before they can get a shot off, you don't need white magic. :D :D :D

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Are you bad if you wipe all badguys off the face of the earth by oblitering them with Ultima and other blackmagic?, see you can be violent and deadly and still be a goody lol

kalaspappa
03-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Black magic = crap magic and white magic is the right magic....
I guess blue is somewhere in the middle....

Gunblades
03-03-2005, 09:27 PM
yeah, thats what the guy with the big sword said untill lulu melted it with flare lol

DJZen
03-03-2005, 10:09 PM
The guy with the big sword has a limit break that does way more damage than flare. More than flare fury too.

rubah
03-04-2005, 03:39 AM
and forunately, after both the black mage and sword dude decimate themselves, the untargeted white mage casts triple full life:D

which I don't think exists, but it should.

Gunblades
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
unfortunatly the guy with the sword has a slower response time due to the nature of his weaponry and the bias of the FF creators, so while he sqeels as he tries to max his guage to use him limit the Blackmage simply casts death (if that isnt black it should be)