PDA

View Full Version : n00b

crashNUMBERS
02-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Why are people so affended when someone calls them a noob in a mmorpg?

Ouch!
02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
n00b is a particularly offensive term, whereas newb or newbie is more polite.

Dr.K
02-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Because they read it as "You're InEXPERIENCED, INEPT, INFERIOR AND PATHETIC", not n00b :)
There's no need for it...everyone's been a noob at some time in their lives *pushes minor exceptions under rug*

Mindflare
02-23-2005, 09:09 PM
n00b is an offensive word. Try "Newbie" or something. The biggest thing about MMORPGs is to be nice. It's not that hard. Help someone out. Make a friend. From my experiences in AC2, doing stuff for others was often more fun than actually progressing.

Cz
02-23-2005, 09:24 PM
The term tends to be used as an insult, either because someone is inexperienced at playing the game, or simply goes against the almighty 1337 players' ideas. It happens on forums too, with people making understandable errors/going against the grain and getting flamed for it.

Newbie-bashing is an unfortunate side of web-culture that stems from status-obsessed jerks with inflated egos, and because it is so common terms like n00b can often be interpreted as offensive, even if they aren't meant that way.

As Ouch! and Mindflare said, use the politer 'newbie', which is a much friendlier term. Most new players are happy to admit that they're inexperienced or need help, but they'll probably be worried about getting flamed. If you make it clear to them that you don't want to yell at them, I'm sure they won't mind.

Ultima Shadow
02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
But newbie takes almost an extra half second to write down. It's so much easier to just write n00b... :(

crashNUMBERS
02-23-2005, 09:28 PM
n00b is an offensive word. Try "Newbie" or something. The biggest thing about MMORPGs is to be nice. It's not that hard. Help someone out. Make a friend. From my experiences in AC2, doing stuff for others was often more fun than actually progressing.

Hey i dont call anyone a n00b.

Mindflare
Never said you did. That was just a nondirected rant. I have a lot of pent up MMORPG rage.

Cz
But newbie takes almost an extra half second to write down. It's so much easier to just write n00b... :(Half a second is a small price to pay for people not to think you're a complete idiot.

Rainecloud
02-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Hello.

Welcome to Eyes on Final Fantasy. Just kidding.

Ultima Shadow
02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Half a second is a small price to pay for people not to think you're a complete idiot.
Hey, don't take my last post SERIOUSLY. :p

Hello.

This actually made me laugh... man, I guess I'm too tierd for my own good... again. :Oo: (I act strange when I'm tierd)

crashNUMBERS
02-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Hello.

lol :lol:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Because they read it as "You're InEXPERIENCED, INEPT, INFERIOR AND PATHETIC", not n00b :)
There's no need for it...everyone's been a noob at some time in their lives *pushes minor exceptions under rug*I think that is the only thing that had to be put on this thread! That is exactly true!All people are newbies at one time, so we all have to deal with it.

Chris
02-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I tend not to care what people call me these days.

crashNUMBERS
02-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Preach brotha preach!

I agree.

The Captain
02-25-2005, 06:40 AM
In many regards, I still am a n00b when it comes to computer technology as I really only possess the minimum skills required to use a computer properly. Everything from web design to some of the simpler tasks that many people use in their posts are amazing to me.

Take care all.

crashNUMBERS
03-02-2005, 12:38 AM
So thats why they take it offensively. :D

XxSephirothxX
03-02-2005, 12:43 AM
I have to say, though it's not polite, I at least think about calling people n00bs when they start posting on a forum. It's not the fact they're new that bothers me, on most occassions--it's the horrible grammar, spelling, spamming, and disregard for rules that enrages me. Anyone who actually attempts to be coherent (and does a decent job of it) is fine. I rarely insult people...just think it most of the time. I've been called a noob before, and I can't say it bothered me that much.