PDA

View Full Version : Doom and Gloom Characters

Chopseuy
02-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Is it just me, but from FF6-FFX-2 there has always been a character that keeps to him/herself and doesn't like to talk. For example, Shadow (FF6) rarely does anything in the game. Vincent (FF7) is just some dude who follows you around. Squall (FF8) has that tough macho attitude and doesn't like to communicate with people. Red (FF9) is just some guy with freaky hair who rivals Zidane and doesn't like to talk much. Kimahri (FF10) is just someone who talks in third person and protects Yuna, hardly says a thing. Paine (FFX-2) is just a sphere hunter looking for spheres with no regards to anyone else, except Yuna and Rikku.

Has anyone else noticed this???

DJZen
02-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Red (FF9) is just some guy with freaky hair who rivals Zidane and doesn't like to talk much.

His name was Amarant. Or, if you want to be specific, "the flaming Amarant". If you'll notice, Zidaine constantly remarks about his moodiness. You are right about this particular archetype though, they've been making quite a bit of use of it. Even in FFIV you had Kain and in FFII you had Leon. I guess dark, moody characters just appeal to people a lot. I personally like characters with a little more dimension like Auron and Lulu who laugh about things and express a range of emotions, but that's just me.

Ultima Shadow
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Shadow (FF6) rarely does anything in the game.
Then you're playing the game in the wrong way! :greenie:

Shadow is a very important character, have a good story about his past, actually DOES show emotions (he just hides them very good) and is the overall greatest character ever! :D

Oh, and these kind of characters are almost always my favs. I just love this "dark style". :cool:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
His name was Amarant. Or, if you want to be specific, "the flaming Amarant".Or, if you want to be cool, Salamander.

Craig
02-24-2005, 11:07 PM
I prefer the light hearted characters to be honest, are any of the characters mentioned for XII moody types?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-24-2005, 11:10 PM
It'll probably be Fran or Basch...or maybe they'll actually refrain from having a particularly morose character for one game. Just kidding.

Destai
02-24-2005, 11:25 PM
*snigger*

rubah
02-25-2005, 01:03 AM
I don't think fran will be dark. . . Basch seems a lot more likely.

heck, maybe it'll be vaan;)

(Yes I realize how unlikely that would be)

The ones that keep to themselves are the ones I really like:) I liked shadow, I thought vincent was cool, I adored squall, amarant was just awesome, and well, you fall apart a bit at ffx. I don't see kimarhi as being dark-- that feels more like lulu? but I don't really like him much anyways (although his holy is to be feared), though. and yay paine.

So yeah, the dark characters are cool, generally can do more damage, and tend to be more interesting:D

Martyr
02-25-2005, 01:52 AM
The characters are dorky losers. They probably have a really hard time getting chicks.

Lots of gamers can relate, and so they like them.

Personally, I think that they all mostly suck. A video game, an RPG especially, is still a story. Purposefully creating a severely underdeveloped character is plain stupid.

On a side note, I don't think that Pre-FFIV games count much since there wasn't much emphasis on character development.

Er, actually, FFII had some good dudes. I liked a lot of characters. The monk dude, the one who died while trying to save everybody from the boulder, he was cool. Bu still not worth considering in the grand scheme of this debate.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-25-2005, 02:15 AM
These characters are introverted, not underdeveloped.

strawberryman
02-25-2005, 02:26 AM
The characters are dorky losers. They probably have a really hard time getting chicks.

Lots of gamers can relate, and so they like them.

Personally, I think that they all mostly suck. A video game, an RPG especially, is still a story. Purposefully creating a severely underdeveloped character is plain stupid.

On a side note, I don't think that Pre-FFIV games count much since there wasn't much emphasis on character development.

Er, actually, FFII had some good dudes. I liked a lot of characters. The monk dude, the one who died while trying to save everybody from the boulder, he was cool. Bu still not worth considering in the grand scheme of this debate.

Maybe, but they'd probably beat you silly for calling them that.

DJZen
02-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Or, if you want to be cool, Salamander.

Giving a character's Japanese version name doesn't make you "cool", it makes you a fanboy. I think top researchers and scientists would agree with me on this one.

Gunblades
02-25-2005, 08:36 PM
the classic antihero/loner is always a popular archtype.
I always got happy and involved with everyone through my colledge years, but when i hit university i was burnt out and just wanted to remain in the shadows, so i did and guess what, suddenly i was classed as a sexy mystery to the attractive goth girls who populated degree photography, when they did encroach into my space they fell even more for my confident apporach to life and my artwork. Meanwhile my pals on other courses who were happy to mix never got ANY interest. Maybe im just sexy, thats just a fact of life :) but i have seen it time and again - anti-heros/brooding loners get more girls.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Giving a character's Japanese version name doesn't make you "cool", it makes you a fanboy. I think top researchers and scientists would agree with me on this one.Your mud-slinging will not be tolerated in this courtroom.