PDA

View Full Version : Best Black Mages Song

Sephex
02-24-2005, 05:26 AM
After heavy listening of both albums, and I have decided that "The Battle with the Four Fiends" is the best. That song perfectly translates to rock form. I especially like the part where after they are done doing solos, the transition at the three minute mark is simply awesome.

Runner ups include…

Zeromous—Excellent work all around, this is exactly how I wanted the song to sound, Black Mages style.

JENOVA—I like how the bass dominates the song (especially in my car).

The guitar solo near the end of “Dancing Mad”—Brialliant.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
On the first album, "J-E-N-O-V-A," "Those Who Fight Further," and "Dancing Mad." On The Skies Above...prettymuch the whole thing.

Dr.K
02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
My favourite is either "Clash on the Big Bridge" (reminds me of F-Zero X in parts) or "Those Who Fight Further".

rubah
02-25-2005, 01:00 AM
The Skies Above

so. awesome.

I have a thing for the songs that feel you with pride and emotion, and they usually have a lot of trumpets, but The Skies Above doesn't need them.

Other favorites would probably be. . . Hunter's Chance, Clash on the Big Bridge, and The Decisive Battle. (ff9, ff5, ff6. such wonderfully ambiguous titles)

Mostly I like the decisive battle because it reminds me of saturday morning tv from when I was little. I can't quite explain why-- it's like a mental mix of the ninja turtles and saved by the bell. That doesn't explain it at all, but I was like, four. So it makes sense, some how^_^

Masamune·1600
02-26-2005, 07:46 AM
J-E-N-O-V-A.

Dark Matter
02-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I only have their first album. :(

Clash on the Big Bridge's the best!

Dancing Mad - I just love that distant and mysterious female voice together with the beat of the drum, after 3 mins from the biginning and last for about 1 min.
Force Your Way & Fight With Seymour- And, I love these two very much, though I prefer original version.
Battle Scene - oh yeah, this one is very cool too, as if you fight the enemy alone, I think.

Servilonus2112
03-14-2005, 03:39 AM
Considering myself an FF music expert...I will do a track by track of BM.
Black Mages I
1. Battle Scene FFI - they did this track justice, and it is appropriate t be the first song.
2. Clash on The Big Bridge (aka Gilgamesh) FFV - Not enough guitar. Not fast paced enough, otherwise a decent arrange.
3. Force Your Way FFVIII - This is one of thier best. They did a great job on this song. The original version had really cheesy synth, but good writing, and thgis shows a much better version.
4. Battle Scene II FFII- A very cool and laid back song, until the wicked ass breakdown, which seperates this from the rather boring original.
5. Decisive Battle FFVI- Ugh. I have heard many version of this song, and this one is by far the worst. They changed the key, and dropped the tempo waaay down. Almost incoherent to the original.
6. Battle Theme FFVI - same as previous, the original is good due to its fast paced tempo, and this one is played too slowly.
7. Jenova FFVII - sounds a great deal like the original, which is not a bad thing. I dont particularly care for the ending though.
8. Still More Fighting FFVII - I think this is what the song was supposed to sound like in the first place, a great arrange.
9. Dancing Mad FFVI - I used to listen to this nonstop when I first heard it, but I have heard better versions of this song (namely Akineko's). The guitar solo gives it a very epic feel.
10. Fight With Seymour FFX - This is a cool song, but I like the flavor of the original better. Why isn't Dancing Mad the last track though?
Black Mages II
1. The Rocking Grounds FFIII - Everyone has never heard this song...except for me. It's Battle 1 from FFIII. I have only heard 1 other version of this song. This one is better. A good album opener.
2. Zeromus FFIV - another song that there a thousand versions of. This one was a bit too slow, and had no repeat. Not bad though.
3. Vamo' alla Flamenco FFIX - Black Mages are very good at FFIX stuff, I think they should do more next time, they didnt lose the flamenco sound, but they also gave it a rockin feel.
4. Hunters Chance FFIX - Ditto.
5. Otherworld FFX - Wow......Wow.....When I make copies of this cd, I just put the original song instead of this one. Just awful. Stick to instrumentals.
6. Matoya's Cave FFI - Really misplaced. Not bad until Nobuo's omgwtf is that ridiculous 70s rock keyboard solo. wtf.
7. The Man With The Machine Gun FFVIII - I think this is a good version of this song, although I know people who dislike it, I dont know why though, theres really nothing wrong with it. You cant hear the main theme that well though.
8. Maybe I'm a Lion FFVIII - This is the best Black Mages song (I guess I couldve said that in the first place). The original is rather slow paced, but this song just reeks of intensity in a way that none of thier other songs do. An amazing arrange.
9. Battle With The Four Fiends FFIV - The second best Black Mages song. They make this one part of the song into the verse though, whereas it was just a transition in the original. I kinda wished they stayed close to the original for this one, as it is my favorite battle theme, but it is ok nontheless.
10. The Skies Above FFX - See "Otherworld" WTF. Was it really neccesary to put the entire song before the metal? Without the vocals, this might be a pretty good song, but alas it is not. It is really cheesy. If I wanted to listen to epic Canadian opera singers I'd listen to Rush. (Well not really, I just wanted to reference Rush. 2112!)
and finally...
11 Blue Blast - Winning the Rainbow - WTF is this doing on this album? I didnt buy the cd for a wrestler's theme, I would have preferred that they have done another FF theme.

Overall, Maybe Im a Lion is the best song by the Black Mages.

Ultima Shadow
03-17-2005, 08:17 PM
My fav variates a bit depending on my mood and other things... but my current favs are "Battle with the four fiends" and "Force your way". :cool:

Everyone has never heard this song...except for me.
I've heared a couple of different versions of this song! :p Mostly fan-remixes.

5. Otherworld FFX - Wow......Wow.....When I make copies of this cd, I just put the original song instead of this one. Just awful. Stick to instrumentals.

10. The Skies Above FFX - See "Otherworld" WTF. Was it really neccesary to put the entire song before the metal? Without the vocals, this might be a pretty good song, but alas it is not. It is really cheesy. If I wanted to listen to epic Canadian opera singers I'd listen to Rush. (Well not really, I just wanted to reference Rush. 2112!)
and finally...

Wow... someone actually agrees with me on these 2? Rock and opera is not a good combination! Nobou... don't ever do this misstake again. This track would have been much better without the vocals... in my opinion that is. :greenie:

Necronopticous
03-17-2005, 09:30 PM
My personal favorite is Battle Scene 1.

Lankyman
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I have to agree with Servilonus2112, "Maybe I'm a Lion" is one of the best songs i've heard in ages. mucho greatness. must admit i quite like "Otherworld" and "The Skies Above" tho...here's hoping nobuo does a take on "You're Not Alone" from FF9, that was audio heaven.

Mirage
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM
The Black Mages 1: J-E-N-O-V-A
The Black Mages 2: Maybe I'm a Lion

Destai
03-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Jenova was really great. I thought it stood out from the rest of the songs.