PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox

PhoenixAsh
02-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Okay so Internet Explorer has started closing on me and I'm getting ad pop-ups any time I try and load it, so first off any advice on how to fix this would be great.

Anyway I'm trying to start using Firefox instead, as although it still seems to be letting in infections (which I keep seemingly getting rid of then return), it at least will open. I have it set as my default browser, but things like the inbox link from MSN Messenger, and Windows Update still try and open in IE, is it possible to change the settings so they open in Firefox?

Thanks a lot.

crono_logical
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Windows Update doesn't work in IE, as far as I know, and MS has no reason to make it work in rival browsers either :p As for MSN Messenger, well it's by MS again, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied :p I just copy/pasted links when I used to use MSN, though I've ditched that in favour of Gaim, which can also use the MSN network :p

As for Firefox letting in infections, how do you know it's not because of infections already on the computer (because of IE), and they're using Firefox because you set that as the default browser? You should really do a spyware scan if you know you're infected :p

PhoenixAsh
02-25-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm running like three different spyware programs, it doesn't seem to be fixing it. Thanks though.

Doomgaze
02-25-2005, 06:54 AM
The manual Windows Update does use IE (and ActiveX). The automatic updates don't use it though, as far as I know. And yeah, many programs are lazy and just open IE rather than looking for your real browser. There's not much you can do.

Yamaneko
02-25-2005, 07:31 AM
I update through Help and Support. :D

crono_logical
02-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Oops, I misworded myself, I meant Windows Update doesn't use a browser other than IE xD Should have been obvious from that my first sentence contradicts itself :p

PhoenixAsh
02-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks, though now I have a new Firefox question. If I want to save a download to disc, is there a way to tell it where to go? It just automatically puts it somewhere (I forget where).

Endless
02-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Tools > Options > Downloads

PhoenixAsh
02-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Ooh simple... Thanks :D