PDA

View Full Version : Consoles/Systems I've Never Heard Of!

Doc Sark
02-25-2005, 07:58 PM
O.K, I was browsing an emulation site earlier in an attempt to alleviate my boredom and I came across loads of systems I had never even heard of!

So who off the top of their head can tell me what any of these are?

ColecoVision
CPC
Intellivision
MO5
MAME
MSX 1
MSX 2
MTX
Oric
PCE
Raine
Sam Coupe
Tandy Colour
Vetrex
Watara
Wonderswan
Impact

And there was me thinking I had knowledge.

ZeZipster
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
MAME = Arcade Machine, essentialy. The rest are just old, old consoles.

Lindy
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) is an Arcade Emulator, so is Raine.

The MSX was an early sorta NES like console, the first Metal Gear game was released on it.

The PC Engine (PCE) was the first ever console to use CDs, and also had the first and original Street Fighter game before it was called Street Fighter.

The Wonderswan is a Japanese only portable system, sorta like the gameboy, it also spawned the Wonderswan colour, onto which remakes of FF1~3 were released.

I think Colecovision was an early computer, but I'm not sure, and the rest I've never heard of.

Doc Sark
02-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Oh right. How do you know all this? Is it the kind of thing I should know in case they come up in a pub quiz?

Cz
02-25-2005, 08:28 PM
The CPC would presumably be an abbreviation of the Amstrad CPC 464, which was released in 1984 to compete with the Spectrum and Commodore 64.

The Vectrex was a vector-based system released by a division board games manufacturer MB in 1983. It was a basic five-inch monitor with a joystick attachment that never really performed very well, being released around the time of the Eighties gaming crash.

I did read about Intellivision once, but can't remember much about it besides it was released in the early Eighties. There is a retro pack out at the moment named Intellivision Lives! though, so maybe you could have a look at that and see if it gives you any information.

Anything else is either unknown to me, or has already been mentioned by someone else. Hope it helps. :)

Doc Sark
02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Awesome.

I used to own an Amstrad CPC 464. Even at Four years old my favourite games were Match Day 2 and Football Manager 2. Those were the days.

NM
02-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I've heard of a few of those system. I even think the Gamestation in my city has a ColecoVision and an Intellivision for sale for something crazy like £100+.

radyk05
02-25-2005, 09:15 PM
i had a colecovision! i think i still do... games like just and pitfall were released for it. it also had think that would let you plug it to the atari.

DJZen
02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
Go HERE (http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/) for console history 101. I hadn't heard of half of these systems (I'm not even counting the numerous clones) before I went here, so this is a must read for anyone interested in the history of gaming.

Rainecloud
02-26-2005, 07:43 AM
"Raine?"

O_o