PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your hero's

Gunblades
02-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I prefer female heroins, but often they are severly held back, unable to be allowed to lash out with a blade or gun and reduced to whimpering maidens in need of help to endure a quest.

Yuffie514
02-25-2005, 09:59 PM
male or female :cool: . though i'd like to see more female main characters :D .

Flamethrower
02-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Either or. I guess I prefer male heros, since I'm male and it's easier for me to identify with them.

TheSpoonyBard
02-25-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't want to vote because I think there are equal amounts of male and female characters in each FF. Going back to what Gunblades said I think there are female characters that are not 'reduced to whimpering maidens'. I'm going to start from FFVI because I havn't played the earlier ones (yet).

FFVI: Celes was pretty strong, as was Terra. They had their weak moments, but then so do all the characters.
FFVII: Tifa and especially Yuffie. Hardly whimpering while they were bringing down ShinRa Inc and defeating the second best villian (arguable) of all time.
FFVIII: Quistis stays strong throughout, as does Selphie (except when the stage in the Quad gets destroyed). In fact, if Selphie did feel down then something is seriously wrong.
FFIX: Freya, Eiko and Quina (I think she's female) are all strong throughout and are more than capable of dealing some serious damage.
FFX: Rikku. Her hyperactivity is comparable only to Yuffie, and possibly Selphie (depends on her sugar level)
FFX-2: Rikku, again, and Paine. I don't think she ever says anything that suggests she is feeling in need of rescue. But then again I may be wrong, as someone will surely point out.

Destai
02-25-2005, 10:30 PM
The most common gamers are males at 18 or 19 which is why so many heros are males or so Ive been told. I honestly dont care if they're malem or female as theyre actually likeable. If theyre females I dont want them to be at all X-2'ish. That would just put me off altogether.

rubah
02-25-2005, 11:06 PM
I hardly consider celes an admirable heroine.

I suppose I prefer male heroes. I guess I'm used to thinking as them after so many games^_^

Destination0
02-26-2005, 01:31 AM
I like male heros

JseanjohnC
02-26-2005, 03:49 AM
i voted female because I would like to see another female heroine like Beatrix from ff9 and Kill Bill and Strom from X-men kick ass

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 10:45 AM
i was talking about the MAIN character Forest owl.

exactly, KillBill is a great example of a strong female lead.

Zante
02-26-2005, 02:55 PM
As long as they are well developed I don't realy mind.

Gunblades
02-26-2005, 08:27 PM
so you dont just want big funbags lol

Jojee
02-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Liked Lenna.
Liked Kururu.
Loved Faris.
Hated Rosa.
Liked Rydia.
Loved Celes.
Didn't really like Terra.
Loved Tifa.
Liked Aeris.
Liked Yuffie.
Rinoa was okay.
Quistis was okay.
Liked Selphie.
Hated Eiko.
Garnet was okay.
Yuna was okay.
Liked Lulu.
Loved Rikku.

^_^

On the other hand,

Liked Butz.
Loved Locke. <3
Disliked Cloud.
Disliked Squall.
Disliked Zidane.
Liked Tidus.
Loved Wakka.

And more people, too lazy to think ;) Generally female ones are better but when the male ones are good, they are so good ^_^;;

Xander
02-26-2005, 11:33 PM
I don't really care, as long as they are a good, interesting character.

Chris
02-27-2005, 02:35 PM
I voted for both of 'em because:

I'M IN LOVE WITH QUINA, SHE'S BRAVE AND HE'S ALWAYS HUNGRY.

:D

Dark Matter
02-27-2005, 06:55 PM
I want to vote for the 2 options too, but which one comes first? Lady first! :love: Once I voted for female, I could no longer vote for male and i received this message, You have already voted on this poll. Too bad.

Hey, Chris's lying, how come he could vote for 2 of them. :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I said male due to my own being male, as I generally enjoy playing characters of the same gender as myself. Hardly a requisite though.

Gunblades
02-28-2005, 09:55 AM
i only gave one vote each on this poll so i dont know how anyone could vote twice.

i generally want a character to be good before i get choosy over gender, but i do prefer taking on a female role, hey what can i say, i like girls :)

Imperia
02-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I prefer female heroins, but often they are severly held back, unable to be allowed to lash out with a blade or gun and reduced to whimpering maidens in need of help to endure a quest.

I love both heroes and heroines, but I completely agree with you about the females being held back. Thank goodness they're getting better respect though (i.e. FFXII-Ashe uses a sword ^_^).

Captain Maxx Power
02-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Male. I feel a bit...fruity if I play as a chick. Especially a good-looking one.

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Imperia, i think it's a cultural thing (japanese), while the western world is more willing to not only accept but embrace a strong female lead who can kick butt. It's nothing new, the damsel in distress was a victorian invention while Celtic tribes were lead by warrior women.

Dking'squeen
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I saw that some or most female characters are weaker than the males, or are used for background magics, such as the white mage in earlier FFs to be female. Female characters tend to be weaker, but faster :rolleyes2 Well, the only femmes I've seen strong are Orlha and maybe Tifa and sometimes a few others, but I would like to see some stronger femmes in games that aren't just there becuase of magic and such *Rinoa, Selphie, Quistis, Aerith, Garnet, Yuna, Eiko* or have weak physical attacks *Rikku*

Sorry in advanced if that made no sense

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
i get ya, you wanna see more female characters who are pyscially strong rather than relying on magic all the time, i agree

Dking'squeen
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
yeah, basically, gunblades

DarkLadyNyara
03-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I prefer females because I am one. But I like any character who is well-developed. (and that includes villans.)

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 11:33 PM
would you prefer to see a female whos dominated by magic or is skilled with blades and unarmed combat?

Dking'squeen
03-01-2005, 11:38 PM
blades, simply to put it. Like the dark knight and knights in X-2...if more of then were running around, then i'd be more happy with games

Gunblades
03-01-2005, 11:48 PM
i agree compleatly, i loved the DarkKnights in X2, even the chocobo knights who showed their butts off in X.

biff0465
03-02-2005, 02:13 AM
we all love ff here right?? so perhaps square knows their stuff, in every game (minus X-2 which i consider an emarrousment to the series) the hero was male. so i think males are the way to go.

now i do believe woman have their role in the stories.. strong roles not "whimpering madens"

Snap Jumper
03-02-2005, 02:22 AM
we all love ff here right?? so perhaps square knows their stuff, in every game (minus X-2 which i consider an emarrousment to the series) the hero was male.

That's debatable. Game 6 revolved around Terra and her connection between humans and espers, and Celes' quest to find everyone, in particular, Locke. Terra and Celes seem to have the main roles, but one could also make a case for Locke as the MC.

Gunblades
03-02-2005, 02:32 PM
well you could assume Mcdonalds knows it's stuff because it's a massive dominating chain, but it's actually destroying the enviroment as well as cultures not to mention it's animal cruelty and detremental effect on peoples health. Just because Square has made lots of successful video games doesnt mean they have the right formula. i want a strong heroine and im not getting one.

Captain Maxx Power
03-02-2005, 06:08 PM
What, a chick who relies on kicking people's asses rather than using magic? Hello? Did you miss Tifa? I'd say she's probably one of the strongest female characters ever. She never needs Cloud to save her (Infact it's usually the other way around), plus the one time she really really REALLY needed help was when she'd just ran to the very tip of the cannon after scaling the side of a building. Now that's sassy and a half.

Apollo
03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I voted for Female characters.Because I loved Maria from FFII,Loved Rydia from FFIV Loved Celes from FFVI and my new favorite character in FF,Quistis

Cybele
03-03-2005, 04:13 AM
(Thought I'd make this my first post, though I've been reading the forums for months)
Anyway, I prefer heroines. While some have good reasons to be mages (Aeris, for example), others I think are just made mages because they're girls. Strength wise, I'd like to see more characters like Terra, Quistis, Freya, Tifa, Paine, and Yuffie (I couldn't think of any more right at the moment). The only type of heroines that I really would like to see less of would be Rosa, Rinoa, Garnet, and Yuna (FFX only). All of those were sort of wimpy and always needed saving. Every minute you got of spare time in FF4 was spent saving Rosa from various things. The same with Rinoa. Garnet required less saving, but you still had to save her in the Alexandria Bahamut scene and the eidolon extraction scene. Yuna's more of a matter of opinion. With the main heroines being so wimpy, it over shadows all of the strong ones (plus the fact that most of the FFs (of the ones I've played) only have 3 playable girls in them). Glad FFX-2 made up for the lack of a strong female cast with girls who could really kick butt. I would also like the girls to be more fully clothed (well, at least a bit more than in FFX-2)...but I guess you can't have everything. :mad:

Gunblades
03-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Maxx Power - perhaps you missed me saying almost at the start that i was talking about the role of a main character, Tifa wasnt the main heroine of FF, yes she was strong and kicked butt, but cloud was the main role.

About being fully clothed, what about the DarkKnight dressphere or the samurai dressphere, even the black mage one was pretty coverd up, as was the white made. FFX-X2 was a coastal tropical world, and most people wear bikini's at the beach, so i felt it was natural for RikkuX2 to don that garb. Yuna was coming out of the closet and wanted to experiment. Besides, armour is very constrictive and slows you down. When i fight i prefer to be free'er, it makes sense the FFgirls would be.

Cybele
03-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, I guess that makes sense, but I prefer more like how Rikku dressed in the first one. It was cute and reflected her personality without being too revealing. I like the fact that Yuna was more free since I really disliked her in FFX. Of course, dressing like that on a snowy mountain is another story, but I guess square didn't feel like making a new form for them just to have in the colder places. But if they ever make a playable main heroine dress like Yunalesca, I will scream. That armored thong and bra was just plain ridiculous.

Gunblades
03-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Yunalesca was dead, i dont think she felt the cold. Think about FF7, they went into the snowhills in the same cloths they wore throughout the game...tifas mini?

i also felt rikkus X look was underdeveloped - Hotpants and goggles

Cybele
03-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I didn't mean Yunalesca was cold, I meant Rikku, Yuna, and Paine were when they were climbing that mountain in their bikinis and such. As for FFVII, that game is pretty old, so I wouldn't have expected square to try and make different clothes for them to wear on the snowy mountains. FFX-2 had tons of different dresspheres, they could've made one for them to wear on the mountain. This is getting a bit off topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

Gunblades
03-04-2005, 10:22 AM
it's a fantasy, thats why conan and red-sonja always walked around stark naked

i dont mind a heroine wearing nothing but her butt cheeks, as long as she kicks...butt lol