PDA

View Full Version : Scanner help

crashNUMBERS
02-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Help. I need to know how you paste something from your scanner to the web. Im trying to make a webcomic but its drawn not sprite. Any suggestions?? :confused:

NM
02-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Scan your image and save it as a jpg file on your hard drive. Then upload it to some webspace you have. Most internet providers will give you around 20mb of webspace with your account.

Chibi Youkai
02-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Or, if the file's too big, save it as a .gif.

rubah
02-26-2005, 12:46 AM
. . . I seriously doubt a jpeg will be too large.
_________
First off, you can use your scanner right? Got all the cables and have successfully scanned stuff? if so, good:D

Usually, scans will require editing. the GIMP is free and can probably do all that you need with it:) Play with the levels and histogram to make it more legible, but dont' got overboard^_^

Sometimes your ISP gives you space, if not, you can beg geocities and freewebs for hosting (and it doesn't take much, just sell your soul and your email a couple of times)

Code a bit, so that each comic can link to the previous and next.

Get somewhat known and admired, and go harp on keenspace to give you an allotment.

Make the big time:D

(if you need specific help with one of these steps, then ask for it;p)

Chibi Youkai
02-26-2005, 04:15 AM
I have to resize jpegs all the time. Especially for sigs. Or just lower the resolution.

rubah
02-26-2005, 04:19 AM
It's sorta pointless to use >90 dpi (or even 72) for stuff on the internets.

300+dpi is necessary to print stuff, but monitors can't display above 90 dpi most of the time. So yeah.

Actually though, if I remember correctly, GIFs store data more efficiently by horizontal rules, so if you had a lot of unbroken-single color lines running across your signature, it probably would be smaller as a gif.

It just takes some intuition to be able to balance jpeg gif and png:)

Chibi Youkai
02-26-2005, 04:23 AM
do you ever use .tiff files? It it's black and white, or grayscale, usually that's even smaller, if you're under some sort of size limit. That's what i'm using for a project of mine, that requires scanning 60 or so pages.

crono_logical
02-26-2005, 02:41 PM
.tiff is uncompressed data like bitmap - never use it on the Internet for web pages unless you enjoy wasting bandwidth. It's fine for a temporary phase, like scanning then editing something quite a bit, but not for a finished image for distribution. It's smaller if you're using black and white or grayscale, because there's very few colours to store, so it doesn't need to waste a full 24 or 32 bits per pixel. But then, if it's black and white or grey scale, you should be using gif or png with an appropriate colour palette instead, since they will do much better for that sort of image, since they will have lossless compression on top of all that.

crashNUMBERS
03-03-2005, 12:10 AM
How do you change the file type??

Chibi Youkai
03-03-2005, 12:40 AM
You load the picture, document, whatever it is, go to file; save as; and resave it as whatever you want.