PDA

View Full Version : off to NY....

sascha
02-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Next year I'm going to a school trip to New York which is going to be fun :D anyhow just wondering, since you all seem travelled ;) , if you've been to New York and if so do you have any recommendations on where to visit/eat etc or just anything you want to say really :tongue:

Rye
02-25-2005, 10:03 PM
New York rocks. I live in NY, but not in NYC. :D You should go visit the museums and Central Park Zoo. Try visiting Coney Island if you can, though it's not in NYC.

Denmark
02-26-2005, 01:38 AM
NYC is full of New Yorkers. Upstate is way better. *biased*

T-MaN
02-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Just make sure u don't get jumped by anyone, and i'm seriously hoping that u won't get hit on the street or sumthing....NY is a pretty dangerous place...

Carnage
02-26-2005, 02:24 AM
The citys not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. i can only really speak for the bronx but my neighborhoods not to bad, id go with the city over the burbs any day. You just gotta look out for assholes that try to scam ya, and lemme tell ya, plenty of assholes in this general area.

T-MaN
02-26-2005, 02:27 AM
You just gotta look out for assholes that try to scam ya, and lemme tell ya, plenty of assholes in this general area.

Ya gotta agree with that, I guess itz just up to u to find the city's true beauty underneath its rough exterior...

Rye
02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah, in Manhatten itself, there are hardly any muggers. In the Bronx and stuff, then you watch out.

boris no no
02-26-2005, 12:57 PM
whould love to go but cant afford it!
it seems such a big place! lots of buildings! :p

sascha
02-26-2005, 10:46 PM
lol ok well I try be ready for them :p .. nah i'm just kidding of course. I mean it's with the school so we won't actually get to really wander into other places so um.. hopefully we'll be fine :eek:

Shlup
02-26-2005, 11:11 PM
If I' not mistaken, Daryl knows all the best places in New York (*wink, wink*), but she's away for the weekend. :|

Chaos
02-26-2005, 11:31 PM
*grins*
I've just got back from a school trip to NY.
First off - let me recommend a few resturants: Virgil's, located just off Time Square (I think) does finger-licking good barbeque food. Mmmmmm.

Also, look for an Italian Resturant called Carmines. Seriously - I have rarely had such good food. I can't remeber where it is though.

Make sure you go visit the Museam of Modern Art, The Metropolitan Museam of art and the Whitney Museam. All of these are well worth a look - if you're into the arts side of things.

Go to the Village Vangaurd Club to catch some great jazz. I saw Winton Marsellies there when I went - it was wow.

5th Avenue for shopping, although I spent most of my shopping time in Tower Records on Broadway. 68th or 64th street I think.

Watch out for Taxi drivers who will try and mess you cos you're a tourist. We had a couple of drivers who tried to take us on longer routes. Keep asking questions as to the route, you'll put them off if they are thinking of sneaking you about. Also watch out for one driver, my art teacher had this one. He was silent for the entire trip, then when she was about to get out, he leaned over and went 'All taxi drivers in this city are evil....'

NY is a cool place, very odd though.

Chaos

Rye
02-26-2005, 11:33 PM
I've never taken a Taxi in the city, come to think of it. I always walked. I like it better that way, but I never stay there more than a few hours.

sascha
02-27-2005, 01:06 AM
*grins*
I've just got back from a school trip to NY.
First off - let me recommend a few resturants: Virgil's, located just off Time Square (I think) does finger-licking good barbeque food. Mmmmmm.

Also, look for an Italian Resturant called Carmines. Seriously - I have rarely had such good food. I can't remeber where it is though.

Make sure you go visit the Museam of Modern Art, The Metropolitan Museam of art and the Whitney Museam. All of these are well worth a look - if you're into the arts side of things.

Go to the Village Vangaurd Club to catch some great jazz. I saw Winton Marsellies there when I went - it was wow.

5th Avenue for shopping, although I spent most of my shopping time in Tower Records on Broadway. 68th or 64th street I think.

Watch out for Taxi drivers who will try and mess you cos you're a tourist. We had a couple of drivers who tried to take us on longer routes. Keep asking questions as to the route, you'll put them off if they are thinking of sneaking you about. Also watch out for one driver, my art teacher had this one. He was silent for the entire trip, then when she was about to get out, he leaned over and went 'All taxi drivers in this city are evil....'

NY is a cool place, very odd though.

Chaos

oooh thanks for all this :) I will certainly look out for Virgils... barbeque food.... mmmmmmmm. well it's with my art teacher so we're def. going to all the museums of art :D oooh jazz club... me like the sound of that. :) and as for taxi drivers... wow that one your art teacher had... creep alert :mad: