PDA

View Full Version : Favorite covers/remakes.

Dingo Jellybean
02-26-2005, 06:45 AM
So what are your favorite covers/remakes of songs?

I love 10,000 Maniacs' cover of Because The Night. The piano is so perfect to suit Natalie Merchant's Voice. Or at least I think it's a cover, I know Bruce Springsteen did this song, but eh...maybe someone will verify.

And Toby Lightman's acoustic version of Real Love(originally MJB's).

Strider
02-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Rage Against the Machine - The Ghost of Tom Joad

Dr.K
02-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Metallica did a very nice cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" and added a bit more spice to Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey In The Jar" (which was pretty much a cover in itself I guess).
mxpx did a nice cover of "Fairytale of New York" too.

ZeZipster
02-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Nirvana's cover of Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker.

Doc Sark
02-26-2005, 09:17 PM
I love 10,000 Maniacs' cover of Because The Night.

Yep, Brucey's song. Not heard that cover, but I'd like too.

Mine is Higher Ground by the Chili's, although Futureheads cover of Hounds of Love is awesome.

rubah
02-26-2005, 11:07 PM
*Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
NOFX - Radio
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
*Yoko Takahashi and Utadi Hikaru's - Fly Me to the Moon
Kristine Sa - Real Emotion
Gus Gus and HIM - Don't Fear the Reaper
The Moog Cookbook - Buddy Holly and Hotel California
*AFI - My Michelle
Weezer - *Uptown Girl, Mrs. Robinson, *Velouria
System of a Down - Goodbye Blue Sky, *The Metro, *Snowblind
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
*Tatu - [whatever the name of the charmed theme song is]
New Found Glory - My Heart Will Go On
*Save Ferris - Come On Eileen

*= I thought the cover was better than the original, or I haven't heard the original.

Kirobaito
02-26-2005, 11:41 PM
John Denver remade Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans." I love both versions.

The New Kid
02-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Poison The Well - Today (Smashing Pumpkins cover)
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
Dashboard Confessional - Jamie (Weezer cover. Probably the only DC song I like)
Bowling For Soup - Summer Of '69 (Bryan Adams cover)

Shoden
02-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Uniting Nations- Out of Touch
Girls Aloud- Jump
Scooter- the Logical song, All I wanna do and Shake that
Nakatomi- Children of the Night
U2 vs LMC- Take me to the clouds above
Happy Hardcore theres to many to name

Leeza
02-27-2005, 12:48 AM
My favourites at the moment would be Marilyn Manson's covers of Depeche Mode's <i>Personal Jesus</i> and Pink Floyd's <i>Another Brick in the Wall</i>.

Rye
02-27-2005, 12:53 AM
I like Evanescence's cover of Thoughless by Korn, but I haven't heard the orginal so I can't compare.

Denmark
02-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Dropkick Murphys - Which Side Are You On? (Pete Seeger cover)
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons (Nena cover)
Malcolm McLaren - Without Her (cover of The Animals' "She's Not There" Kill Bill Volume 2 OST)

MecaKane
02-27-2005, 01:57 AM
KoRn, Metallica's One. Awesome, just needed the gutair solos, since it was for that MTV Metallica thing they probably wouldn't let them do it all, no one else really did any of their longer songs. @_@
System of a Down, Metro. I haven't heard the original, and I don't even know who it's by.
Rage Against the Machine, and Soulfy, NWA's Fuck the Police. Soulfly says mother fucker instead of nigger, though. (Implying niggers are mother fuckers, are they? *gasp* probably not) It's kind of off-putting, anyway.

Strawberry Gashes
02-27-2005, 04:58 AM
*Tatu - [whatever the name of the charmed theme song is]
The song is called How Soon Is Now?. It was covered by some guy (don't know the name) for the opening song on Charmed, and the very original was done by The Smiths.

I really enjoyed Bjork's cover of "99 Red Love Balloons" and Metallica's cover of "Stairway To Heaven."

rubah
02-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Is the original any good? I really didn't like the charmed one^^

ooh, more 99 red balloons. I guess I should look into it^_^

Strawberry Gashes
02-27-2005, 05:39 AM
Yes, the original is great. As much as it pains me to say it, I rather enjoy the tATu cover as well.

Bjork's cover is easily my most favorite version of 99 Red Balloons, by far.

Rainecloud
02-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Marilyn Manson's "Tainted Love" is quite good.

Pure Strife
02-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Say It Ain't So - Deftones

Damn cool Weezer cover. Apparantly they covered some other Weezer tracks, I'd like to hear them too eventually. The Cure song they did on MTV icon sounded damn good too.

I liked Cradle Of Filth's Hallowed Be Thy Name rendition, the original Maiden version sounds too slow after listening to their version.

Shlup
02-27-2005, 11:25 AM
You actually like something that I don't think sucks?? I didn't know this was possible. ^_^

I love all of Marilyn Manson's covers.

Heck, I really like covers. How can you go wrong with a cover? You're taking a song that's already good and tweaking it (usually making it faster and yelling). Its hard to screw that up.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-27-2005, 11:30 AM
The problem with covers is that proper credit is rarely given, so you have a bunch of idiots thinking that Orgy came up with "Blue Monday," that Celine Dion was the genius behind "I Drove All Night," etc.

Doc Sark
02-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately it has become a very effective way for a new group to gain recognition. Originality is almost dead in terms of commercially accepted music.

Chris
02-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Grace Jones' cover of Bill Withers "Use Me" and her amazing covers of "Demoliton Man" (The Police) and "Nightclubbing" by (David Bowie and Iggy Pop).

Strawberry Gashes
02-27-2005, 02:13 PM
..Are you serious?

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-27-2005, 04:59 PM
The greastest cover I have ever heard, in terms of improving on the original, is Nonpoint's cover of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight"

Goldfinger's "99 Red Balloons" is pretty good too.

And, of course, Johnny Cash.

Skogs
02-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Probably (in my opinion) the three definitive covers of all time (original artist in brackets).

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)

rubah
02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
The problem with covers is that proper credit is rarely given, so you have a bunch of idiots thinking that Orgy came up with "Blue Monday," that Celine Dion was the genius behind "I Drove All Night," etc.

Or thinking that Sarah Brightman wrote Dust in the Wind.

that just makes me so irritated:/

Skogs
02-27-2005, 08:32 PM
...or that Fred Durst wrote 'Behind Blue Eyes'...

Leeza
02-27-2005, 11:28 PM
..Are you serious?
Why wouldn't he be? I think it's excellent myself and much better than Soft Cell and whoever did it before them. Why question his taste just because it's not yours?

Personally, I like every one of Marilyn Manson's covers.

Dingo Jellybean
02-28-2005, 02:31 AM
I want to add Counting Crows & Vanessa Carlton's Big Yellow Taxi. It's much better than Joni Mitchell's original, but maybe cause I'm use to hearing it more.

From what I've heard, the covers for R.Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly are like...eh. They probably would sound better if I didn't hear R.Kelly's version first.

Mr. Graves
02-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Metallica's covers of "Die Die, My Darling" and "Green Hell".

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I tend to perfer originals over covers.

Giga Guess
02-28-2005, 03:48 AM
The Ataris-Boys of Summer

MadHouse-Like a Prayer.