PDA

View Full Version : Your group of real life friends vs. online friends.

Dingo Jellybean
02-27-2005, 05:43 PM
This topic isn't meant to insult anybody, so eh.

Anyways, do you prefer RL or OL friends? I kind of prefer RL friends. I only have like, 3 or 4(the 4th one is iffy, but that's a long story) RL friends. I never had a great batch of friends, so I cherish them a lot. OL, I maybe have like, 20. Oddly enough, none of my RL friends have ever chatted with me online and vice versa.

So eh...discuss.

Del Murder
02-27-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't ever get to hang out with either of them, so at least the online group is around more to talk to since I hate phones. I don't keep many of either.

Faris
02-27-2005, 05:56 PM
.......This is hard.
I like to hang out with my real life friends, and laugh n' stuff.
But I love to talk with my online friends probably just as much as my real life friends, or maybe more sometimes :|
So, ya hard to pick, probably more with my online friends, sinve they're very helpful :)

boris no no
02-27-2005, 06:07 PM
most of my real life friends are all from uni so can't do much....
my online friends seem to aperciate my madness a little more.
but i suppose they don't need to see it

i woyuld say i like them in equal amounts!
:love: :love:
thus insulting noone!
yeay!

Rainecloud
02-27-2005, 06:13 PM
It's much easier to keep in contact with online friends. However, there's no personal contact, so it's not quite as good.

Having said that, I don't really like my offline friends. They're annoying. At least you can mask your social weaknesses online (to a certain extent).

Luc
02-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I prefer my RL friends. I have quite a few of friends, but most of them I really cherish. They're all great people.

Online I have so many friends. I had to make a new AIM username just to get rid of some of them, it's really hard to keep up with so many IM's. :/

Although, I enjoy talking to my online friends more than my real life friends as they can actually give advice or just hold a decent conversation.

Doc Sark
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
RL friends. They are the ones that back me up, that help me through the bad times, that know me inside out. I've met some cool people OL but none that could compare to the people that exist physically in my life.

louby_4eva
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I prefer my real friends, I don't really have any friends on the internet, I do have a wife though (Jojo) :love:

Xander
02-27-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't have many RL friends but the few I have are worth more to me than everyone online. Because with RL friends, you know what you're getting, everything is face to face and real. Online you never really know anybody and everything is based on how people "seem". I appreciate all my friends from EoFF, but I'm not sure how many of them would even like or get on with me IRL. Spending some real time with a friend IRL is what makes me really happy at the moment.

Rye
02-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Online. I'm gonna sound like an insane computer nerd here, but I really dislike my real life friends. There are 3, maybe 4, that I actually like. The rest just annoy me and bring a lot of drama into my life.

I'm not all that good at keeping IRL friends, maybe it's cause the people in my town irritate me, but they tend to become mean or weird or pot heads or they call me too much which makes me so mad.

Jojee
02-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Online I have so many friends. I had to make a new AIM username just to get rid of some of them, it's really hard to keep up with so many IM's. :/

Friends aren't people you try to get rid of. :)

Anyway,

I would prefer hanging out with my RL friends over talking on the internet to my online friends, almost all of the time. ^_^ However, when it comes to chatting online or talking on the phone, I find that I a lot of the times prefer doing those things with online friends more. I have a lot more online friends and aquaintences than I do real life friends and aquaintences... but in both places, the <i>true</i> friends that I make are ones that I truly, truly cherish. ^^ I think my list of aquaintences online dwarf my list of actual friends :x

Mm... and I have a lot of wives/hubbies xD *chomps louby*

Denmark
02-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Online. w00t.

My real life friends are alright, I just don't spend much time with them (because I spend so much time online ^_^), and I dislike the telephone. I don't usually talk to my real life friends online though.

also, online, I can be random and express myself any way I want, and be me imho.

boris no no
02-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Online. I'm gonna sound like an insane computer nerd here, but I really dislike my real life friends. There are 3, maybe 4, that I actually like. The rest just annoy me and bring a lot of drama into my life.

I'm not all that good at keeping IRL friends, maybe it's cause the people in my town irritate me, but they tend to become mean or weird or pot heads or they call me too much which makes me so mad.
this is the same for me
i'm really rubbish at talking to people to their faces. i think that i'm annoying them
online i don't get shy so i find it easier to talk and be more witty!
that shows how dumb i am! i have the same amount of wit as a dead mongoose.

fire_of_avalon
02-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Jojo knows the score. I like all of my online friends, and there certainly are a lot of them, and I really WOULD like to get to know them in real life, but, for now, anyways, the people I know in real life are the ones I trust the most, ergo they're the ones I'm closer too and appreciate more.

Levian
02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
At the moment, I'm a bit annoyed at my offline friends, or at least some of them, but I still prefer them. There's just so many things you can do with offline friends that you can't with online. I do like my online friends too, of course, but offline anything is superior to online anything, imho.

Strawberry Gashes
I prefer my online friends. They're intelligent and have shared interests and a similar sense of humor. Besides that, they've been there for me and I've known some of them longer than anyone.

Loony BoB
Let's just say that if I could live in the same city as every online friend I have, I would.

Denmark
02-27-2005, 06:56 PM
So you want us all to move to Edinburgh, do you? :p

Yamaneko
02-27-2005, 07:05 PM
As much as I love all you guys, you can't compare to the real thing. Damn you Internet! :(

Loony BoB
02-27-2005, 07:05 PM
So long as you're all prepared to move to Auckland when I return there for good.

rubah
02-27-2005, 07:57 PM
<3 RL friends, because we can go to movies, and they're at school so I dont' feel like a geek alone in class (except for the classes they aren't in)

<3 OL friends because I talk to them more often, and they generally like the same things as I do more often.

Dragonfire
02-27-2005, 08:18 PM
the OL friends are much easier to contact sometimes, especially since my car died a couple weeks ago. My RL friends are stoners and alcoholics like me :beer: , but my OL friends are gamers. So both groups are great

Psychotic
02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I "lost" a lot of my RL friends when they went to a different college (English education system here) a year ago, so I don't see them every day like I used to, and so MSN is the main way for me to keep up with them. And in the summer, the friends I have at my college will also be lost through everyone splitting up and going to different uni's around the country. So I guess at the moment, OL friends, because I know I'm going to need them when I first go to uni and don't know anyone and have no-one to talk to.

Jojee
02-27-2005, 08:29 PM
*nod* Good thing about online friends is that as long as they keep going on the internet, they're always there. I've moved around a LOT in my education process and therefore have never kept a lot of long term real life friends, but online... I've known many of you for five, six years. When I went to uni, I was having a really hard time adjusting, and my online friends helped me pull through that :)

Blackmageboi
02-27-2005, 08:37 PM
My real friends well i have quite a few and most of them are there to suport me and i support them
Online friends are eisier to talk to and you can make more friends because you judge them by personality rather than how they look
Its a draw really

Craig
02-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Well, I have a few RL friends, and although sometimes they can be major turds they are great so i'd pick them. Don't have many online friends, sure i've got alot of people in my contact list but only really talk to some of them.

Leene
02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I've got many RF!
I have not got many OL friends....but i :<3: them all!
Friends are everything whatever they are!!! :D

bennator
02-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I don't have any OL friends really, all the people I really talk to online are people I know from RL first. So, I guess RL friends win out, even though I don't have many of those, either.

kikimm
02-27-2005, 09:26 PM
I dont know. I like both groups a lot, for different reasons, of course. Offline friends might have the advantage though, because I see them, and that's a big thing for me. But I wouldn't trade my online friends either; I've had so much fun, and good conversations. So I love you both lots. :love: :love: :love:

:D

StarlightAngel
02-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Sadly, online friends. My real friends annoy me often, and have all their 'problems'.

Dking'squeen
02-27-2005, 10:03 PM
maybe both, though sometimes the scale tips in favor for one group to the other depending on the day.

Miriel
02-27-2005, 10:20 PM
My real life friends...they're the loves of my life.

I don't think I can accurately explain how much I love and appreciate my best friends. I <3 them muchly and nothing and no one on the internet can really compare.

m4tt
02-27-2005, 10:31 PM
My RL friends are becoming fewer and fewer. I have friends at work, and that's about it. I don't have many online friends either..

Flamethrower
02-27-2005, 10:34 PM
This is an easy question for me to answer. I have no online friends, so real life friends win by default. :p

ShivaBlizzard8
02-27-2005, 11:00 PM
LOL - me too. I don't have any exclusively online friends. All my friends were my crazy undergrad college buddies who I lived, danced, and acted with for a delightful four years, and still talk to constantly. Although I have quite a few new friends in grad school now too. The only people I know online are the people who post on forums with me such as these, and although I feel like I know the oldbies sometimes, I wouldn't consider them friends. Hell, most of the time I don't even know your real names. LOL :p

Agent Proto
02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Both are good. Real life friends are there in person, and they can make me enjoy my life. Online friends are good because I don't get to be bored at home... so both to an extent. :P

Rostum
02-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Girlfriend > Online friends > Offline friends.

Edea
02-28-2005, 12:09 AM
i have no preference for one or the other and all my friends,online and off are male at the moment.

Ryth
02-28-2005, 01:19 AM
I say my online friends because I for some reason can be more open to them and I have few friends in RL and when I do be more open or myself I don't feel like I had a coversation I feel like uh, I don't know how to explain it but I think you know where I'm going with it.

o_O
02-28-2005, 01:26 AM
So long as you're all prepared to move to Auckland when I return there for good.

;D

I definitely prefer my real life friends. I'm blessed with a really tight-knit, close bunch of friends, and we all trust each other, 100%. There are some online friends that I would very much like to meet though.

YunaGirl05
02-28-2005, 01:35 AM
real life friends. they are the best.

Dingo Jellybean
02-28-2005, 02:23 AM
I just want to note that when you say "real friends", you totally diss your online friends. So what, all your online friends are imaginary?

I know what you guys mean...but eh. :)

RSL
02-28-2005, 04:23 AM
I don't have any friends.

Jojee
02-28-2005, 05:34 AM
Oh come on Dingo :p

RSL, you gots me! :<3:

strawberryman
02-28-2005, 05:38 AM
Who needs friends? :|

Polaris
02-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't have much RF, and they sometimes freak out and start joking me ina abd way so I think that OF have more 'respect' than my RF....

Sophitia
02-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I like everyone they all rock, although I feel more open to my online friends, because then you can't see the funny look on their face when you tell them something stupid =p. Real Life friends rock though, because you can just do nothing and still appreciate them and enjoy life as it is ^----^

Resha
02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
I luff BOTH. They all rock! With OL friends I can be so much more open, less concious and smilies are SOOOO expressive. :love:

But I love my RL friends to death, coz we've had some great moments together, and nothing can ever erase those out. Even though we're all gonna get split up for college or uni, we'll all still be the bestest friends ever ever ever, for ever ever ever.

But sometimes, in RL...you get really annoying people who I just detest and wanna strangle with my own bare hands. (And no...they're not considered FRIENDS!). It's so much easier to ignore people like that online, but in RL...those annoying cows just pop up everywhere. :mad: Grr. :( Oh, I'm being so mean.

Ultima Shadow
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
It's almost a draw... but I think I'll have to go with my online friends. I've got 4 good real life friends and I enjoy the time i spend with them alot... however... they still can't beat some of my online friends. :)

Armisael
02-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I luff BOTH. They all rock! With OL friends I can be so much more open, less concious and smilies are SOOOO expressive. :love:

But I love my RL friends to death, coz we've had some great moments together, and nothing can ever erase those out. Even though we're all gonna get split up for college or uni, we'll all still be the bestest friends ever ever ever, for ever ever ever.

RSL
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
You're the only one, Jojo.