PDA

View Full Version : sleep

Carnage
02-28-2005, 04:02 AM
why do we need it? i dont see the point in it. what does it do for you. i mean i know it gives you energy but so do foods. so why cant you just eat healthy and never sleep someone explain the point of it to me please. thanks.

Mindflare
02-28-2005, 04:09 AM
There are many scientific reasons behind sleep. Gives the mind time to take in all that was learned during the day, and relaxes the body. I'm no expert, though. I find sleep to be annoying. Especially recently, when I either don't get enough or get too much.

Mr. Graves
02-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Go for a week without a wink. I'd love to hear about the hallucinations you have, not to mention the total loss of focusing on anything mentally.

But, yeah, my life would so much easier to handle if I didn't need sleep at all.

Leeza
02-28-2005, 04:14 AM
I don't like sleep at all, but I guess we need it.

http://www.helpguide.org/aging/sleeping.htm

Carnage
02-28-2005, 04:14 AM
i havent slept since thursday night, i didnt sleep friday because i had saturday detention so i thought if i was really tired i would sleep there. but i couldnt sleep there. then the next night i was tlaking online all night, and i started to hallucinate a little, kind of like i was dreaming while i was awake, dont ask me why.

We probobly spend 2/5's of our life sleeping. i want to invent a way to not hafto sleep.

Edit:thanks leeza

Erdrick Holmes
02-28-2005, 04:23 AM
I hate sleep. For me it's literally impossible unless I take meds or have some liquor. I only sleep probably three nights a week. It's driving me to the brink of deciding on finding a way to sleep or suicide.

Giggles
02-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Sleep is one of the only reasons I haven't blasted my brains out yet. I sleep as much as possible.

Dingo Jellybean
02-28-2005, 04:38 AM
I remember reading that the body doesn't need sleep to heal, and such.

I sleep 5-11 hours on any given night. It's a serious waste of time, but it does help you retain memory...but only if you dream. I hate dreaming, because all my dreams are like...so happy and ditsy, then I wake up and like...damn, I'm still alive?

The Captain
02-28-2005, 05:27 AM
REM sleep is an essential part of staying healthy because it is during this time that our brain allows us to relax and our body can heal any wounds or illnesses that it may have encountered. Without sleep, you get sick much easier, have much less strength and energy, and cannot focus as easily because the brain and body have been drastically overworked.

Sure, sleep can be a hassle sometimes, but for many, sleep is also a great source of power and strength as it can allow us to wind down after a stressful day or for a while be alone and not have the outside world forever on top of us.

Take care all.

strawberryman
02-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Sleep is the time when my nuclear bomb known as anger is reduced to a mere gunpowder keg. It puts you people one step further away from apocalypse.

Yamaneko
02-28-2005, 06:04 AM
If I remember correctly from my bio class, damage to the cerebellum can cause the process of sleep to be altered. Depending on the type of damage one's cerebellum has received, it is possible to lose the ability to sleep resulting in eventual death.

So, you need sleep to stay alive.

Rainecloud
02-28-2005, 07:06 AM
An experiment springs to mind in which people were deliberately woken from sleep to see whether or not it would have an adverse effect on their health. Of course, the guinea pigs were paid well for this experiment, but the side-effects weren't really worth the extra cash.

After a few weeks, they started displaying very unusual (and mostly aggressive) behaviour. A few months after the experiments ended, the test subjects started to develop mental problems and disorders ranging from insomnia to schizophrenia. So, I guess you could say that sleep is an important part of your life, even if it does appear to be a colossal waste of time.

amratis
02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I dont know if you need sleep or not, all I know is that I love it. I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE sleep, I sleep as much as is possible without missing lectures and so forth. My subject is lecture-light and on wed and fri I have nothing to do and on thursdays 1 tutorial at 4pm. I often dont get up till like 1-2 in the afternoon on these days. mmmm, I love my bed

Sophitia
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
You do need to sleep, I've been about 3 days without sleep once and when I tried to focus I just stared at my teacher like - what? you're expecting me to do what with a who now?! It was actually quite funny. I enjoy being sleep deprieved if I'm honest, I didn't hallucinate I just didn't feel like I was on the planet =3. I find eating to be a waste of my time sometimes..

Citizen Bleys
02-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I can't wait to die, because then I never have to wake up.

<3 sleep

Resha
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
...is something I need desperately right now. :greenie:

Nod
02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I dont know if you need sleep or not, all I know is that I love it. I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE sleep, I sleep as much as is possible without missing lectures and so forth. My subject is lecture-light and on wed and fri I have nothing to do and on thursdays 1 tutorial at 4pm. I often dont get up till like 1-2 in the afternoon on these days. mmmm, I love my bed

My sentiments exactly. Sleep is so GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
plus i only have 1 and a half days of lectures a week so i sleep lots. dreaming is so much fun!!! :D :D

boris no no
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
i once went without sleep for about three days.
i had a powerpoint lecture on the fourth day and the writing was falling off the screen
i knew that i needed to sleep
if i had my way i wouldn't get out of bed until about 2 and then speand the majority of the day sleeping!
:love: :love:
got a big double bed! lots of blankets and cusions :D i'll be happy all day!
:love: :love: :cool: :cool:

Yamaneko
02-28-2005, 02:54 PM
I can't wait to die, because then I never have to wake up.
One enjoys sleep because they're able to reflect on the experience once they are awake.

Citizen Bleys
02-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, I'm different from this "One" person, then. <3 Death

rubah
02-28-2005, 11:51 PM
if we didn't sleep, then we couldn't have awesome dreams, like a big huge typhoon blowing up and putting the world into monsoon season.

like this morning. (I think I was only half asleep though, because the oscars and the Today show were in there, which was on the tv this morning when I woke up)

but we have to live with sleep. otherwise we feel grumpy in the mornings, on days like today, when we don't get enough:D

Craig
02-28-2005, 11:56 PM
I love to sleep. Sure if I didn't need to I'd have alot more time on my hands, but sleep is great.

Also, does anyone know roughly how long you'd have to stay awake before you began to hallucinate?

Destai
02-28-2005, 11:59 PM
I like to sleep. Its so comfortable.

Shlup
03-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I hate the fact that we need sleep to live. I think it was... eight days you could go without sleep before it kills you. That freaking sucks.

Especially since it takes me about an hour to fall asleep every night and then its hard as hell to wake up, even if I've slept for fourteen hours. Very inconvenient.

Yamaneko
03-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Well, I'm different from this "One" person, then. <3 Death
You are The One, Bleys.

Blackmageboi
03-01-2005, 07:58 AM
i like sleep....i haven't been getting much lately and my atention span is zero -_-ZZZZzzzzzzzz

UltimaLimit
03-01-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm a bit sleepy as I'm writing this, so bear with me:

Carnage, I agree with you that sleep is a pain in the ass sometimes. Personally, I don't mind sleeping itself so much as A) needing it and B) not being able to control it.

I wish we could function OK without sleep without adverse affects, but that we could choose to sleep at the drop of a hat for better health. Sort of "extra credit" to help your body, if you get my meaning.

...zzz...

YukiKiro
03-01-2005, 08:05 AM
what the hell kind of question is this? its like asking what is the meaning of life.

we sleep because we have to. our bodys take about 8 hourts and turn that into a hyper recharge period, where basically all it does is breath and store energy.

<!--how old do you have to be to know this. i'm sorry but there are just some questions that are stupid, at least for a compitent person.-->*snip* Please be respectful. ~ Leeza

K-chan
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I went without sleep for like a day a couple of times. Thats about all I can stand. I love sleeping in when I get the chance to. :3

Citizen Bleys
03-01-2005, 01:00 PM
You are The One, Bleys.

Don't mess with me, dude. I know Kung Fu.

super sayin Tidus
03-01-2005, 02:43 PM
aah wonderfull sleep how much i cherish this blessing from god. Pitty i only get like 3hrs sleep a night cause am on the DAMMED internet or playinf FF. So no points for guessing coffe plays a part in my life. :)