PDA

View Full Version : why Vincent?

Yuffie514
02-28-2005, 05:30 AM
has there been any reasons why Vincent is the main character :mad: :) ? i like Red better, plus i never find Vince him attractive :D . maybe there'll be one with Red since he outlives all the characters :confused: .

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Why Vincent? Because he has tons of fans.

Chris
02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
It would have been better if they had chosen Nanaki, oh well life goes on.

CloudStrife48
02-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I think Cloud might die in Final Fantasy Advent Children :( because he tells Aeris "I'll hold on a bit longer" in one of the trailers. but i hope im wrong :mad:

ljkkjlcm9
02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Well for the type of game they seem to be designing, Vincent is obviously the best choice. Plus there is a lot more freedom with vincent, he has long ranged weapons and can change into awesome beasts. If it was nanaki, what could he do? Just maul people basically, not all that many options....

THE JACKEL

Destai
02-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Vincents a mysterious character and very little is known about him. Plus hes often seen as cool.

Yuffie514
02-28-2005, 05:29 PM
well, nothing personal :) (other than the fact that i don't see Vince as a chick magnet :p ), Vince is cool enough for me :cool: .

UltimateSpamGrover
02-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Devil May Cry, anyone?

Craig
02-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Devil May Cry, anyone?

No thanks, I just ate.

advent-child
02-28-2005, 10:56 PM
yeah alot of people liked vincent

i hope cloud doesnt die :(

Big D
02-28-2005, 11:47 PM
It would have been better if they had chosen Nanaki, oh well life goes on. Absolutely. The game's not even out yet, but we can all say for sure that it sucks in advance;)I think Cloud might die in Final Fantasy Advent Children because he tells Aeris "I'll hold on a bit longer" in one of the trailers. but i hope im wrong I don't see how that's got anything to do with this thread, but I should just point out that a major character's death usually isn't revealed in trailers. Kind of spoils the plot a little. Trailers are meant to build anticipation, not tell you what's going to happen.

Yuffie514
03-01-2005, 01:01 AM
well, i hope he doesn't die anyway :p . it would suck...bad :weep: :tongue: .

Palindrome
03-01-2005, 02:21 AM
I agree that vincent is the easiest character to expand upon since so little of his story is revealed in FFVII. Though Nanaki is cool he would make a terrible playable character for this type of game. What would be really great is if Cid had his own game. On top of running around stabbing bad guys, you could have dog fights in varius airships. It would be kinda like Star Fox without the gay.

Sepho
03-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Dirge of Cerberus is a shooter.

Vincent's weapon of choice is a gun.

That fact alone is probably a big factor in the choice of Vincent as the leading role. It's probably of great interest to Square-Enix to explore other genres and attempt to make money by that method.

In addition, Vincent is incredibly popular with the mass FF fan base. That's always important when it comes to the marketing aspect of designing a game.

Ryth
03-02-2005, 12:44 AM
1. Its a shooter and Vincent has a gun but its been said so I'll moveon.

2. Vincent has a mysterious past, still. So that make the plot much better or at least more interesting.

3. Cloud could die. PLEASE NO!

kikimm
03-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Well, first off, I don't think we should be judging who should be the main character by how attractive he is. Not completely fair. :) But that said, I agree that Vincent is a very popular character; I would love to learn more about him, since he wasn't in the game very much. If it delves into his past, I'll be very happy.

Dirge of Cerberus is a shooter.

Vincent's weapon of choice is a gun.

I think that the second might actually have influence the first, and not the other way around, though. But perhaps I am wrong.

And I also get the feeling that Cloud will die. I definitley wouldn't be surprised, if Square took that route to end that part of the story. The game's already plenty sad; Cloud's a melancholy character, and even more depressed in this movie it seems. I don't know, I guess I'm not very good at explaining it, but I am really getting that feeling. I hope I'm wrong though.

:D

ljkkjlcm9
03-02-2005, 01:34 AM
anyone else think it's possible Square-enix wanted to create a different type of game, and they thought, how about a shooter? Then they thought, we need sequels to our ever popular Final Fantasy games. They decided on 7 and then thought, hey Vincent was popular, he has a gun, it's like killing 2 birds with one stone... lets do it!!!

THE JACKEL

Sepho
03-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I think that the second might actually have influence the first, and not the other way around, though. But perhaps I am wrong.

That's entirely possible. No one can really know for sure Square's motivations behind making a shooter with Vincent as the main character, and I was just stating one theory that I had heard (and it sounds entirely plausible). You could surely be right, though.

And I also get the feeling that Cloud will die. I definitley wouldn't be surprised, if Square took that route to end that part of the story. The game's already plenty sad; Cloud's a melancholy character, and even more depressed in this movie it seems. I don't know, I guess I'm not very good at explaining it, but I am really getting that feeling. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm not sure whether Square is ready to kill off one of their most popular characters (and biggest money-makers). Such an action would complement the setting and general atmosphere of the FF7 universe, though, so we'll see.

kikimm
03-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Ah, yes--of course. I never thought of what his death might actually DO. But eh, yes; we will see. Sometime.

:D

CloudStrife48
03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't see how that's got anything to do with this thread, but I should just point out that a major character's death usually isn't revealed in trailers. Kind of spoils the plot a little. Trailers are meant to build anticipation, not tell you what's going to happen.

well im sure you have your ideas about the movie, im just saying that was my hypothesis of WHY Vincent is the main character. Me thinking Cloud dies and moving Vincent as the main character is my reason. So Yes it DOES have something to do with this thread. And of course trailers arent supposed to tell you what happens. Even if I did blur it out, you would have looked anyways...

MJN SEIFER
03-03-2005, 08:55 PM
i hope cloud doesnt die

I liked him...really (He was the first FF character I ever used) But I kinda think he'd be better off dying...

CloudStrife48
03-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I liked him...really (He was the first FF character I ever used) But I kinda think he'd be better off dying...

even though I'm going to get bashed bc its off topic I'll post this:

This was released in the Venice Summary on adventchildren.net

Tifa: You've got Geostigma, haven't you?

Cloud: ...there's no cure for it

I consider it foreshadowing.

LH
03-08-2005, 06:56 AM
My first instinct about that quote is that Cloud having an incurable condition would be a swell plot device, but he doesn't necessarily have to die. Cloud having a condition with a cure laid out in front of him doesn't strike me as too exciting.

Oh yeah, I think Vincent is a good choice for this game because his backstory is interesting and can be fleshed out nicely. He's got a long history and he's very dramatic, so I think he's a good candidate to carry a story (almost) by himself.

Camanche
03-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe they present the problem of Cloud having Geo-stigma (along with all those children on Gaia) in the movie, and then we get a new RPG where you go about, trying to find a cure! Heh, I wish, well, as long as it's good. I doubt it would happen, but for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Cloud kicked the bucket in AC, or any new games with him in it.

I think DC looks interesting as well, but I could certainly go for a game featuring Nanaki. I would love that.

Creeping Shadow
03-08-2005, 02:43 PM
um what is geo-stigma exactly and also in a trailer i saw for advent children it shows that vincent has a daughter :eek:

Shoden
03-08-2005, 07:02 PM
errr thats Marlene

Camanche
03-08-2005, 07:03 PM
That's not Vincent's daughter, it's Marlene. Go to www.adventchildren.net to find out about Geo-stigma or check out some of the threads around here. They explain it quite well.

EDIT: Whoop, someone already beat me to it.

CloudStrife48
03-10-2005, 07:05 AM
um what is geo-stigma exactly and also in a trailer i saw for advent children it shows that vincent has a daughter :eek:

look in the Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children section of this site, I explainted it there.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 01:09 AM
any reason not Vincent? he's the only character we didn't learn very much about and one of the coolest out of them plus what good does Nanaki do in a shooting game?

fainaru
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
yeah i think it's a pretty cool choice to pick Vincent just because this past week *someone (not mentioning names) was saying how Vincent's kinda isn't-a-strong character with his limits (eg. how he goes berserk in his limit and has not-so-good attacks for em)...so this would be sorta like a chance to redeem how not-so-strong of a character he was in FF7? but dont get me wrong, he's still my choice for a main party(and yuffie too!)

oh yea, bringing up that topic, what do you guys think a strength of Vincent is in FF7? I'm not so convinced he's the strongest but there needs to be something about him that's good...like i thought cait sith wasn't all that great but then again he has his slots limit @_@

Shoden
03-13-2005, 12:09 AM
i think the best thing for his limit would be transform atack the turn back next turn

crashNUMBERS
03-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Why vincet?? WHY vincet!?? 'Cause GOD made it that way!! (joke :laugh: :lol: )

Quina
03-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Vincent killed my father. Why, Vincent? WHY?

Camanche
03-13-2005, 09:36 PM
what good does Nanaki do in a shooting game?

No good at all, but I don't think that's what everyone meant. I think everyone (well at least I did) meant that they'd rather have a sequel featuring Nanaki as the main character instead of Vincent. Obviously if they made a sequel revolving around Nanaki, it wouldn't be a shooter. :p

Yuffie514
03-13-2005, 09:49 PM
yeah, i think i may have misinterpreted myself at the start :-\ . sure he would never be a good shooter :bored: , but he's well deserving of his own game [my opinion] :cool: .

Dolentrean
03-14-2005, 08:26 PM
As for Vincent being the main character in DC, I think it might work out pretty well. Nanaki would be a good main character for a game, but for a spin off I think Vincent was probably the best choice. Vincent had a lot of issues he tried to come to amends with and only partially succeeded, he is haunted by the many things he had no control over, these things plus the fact he was an ex-Turk gives him potential for a more in depth story.

Greiver205
03-16-2005, 12:42 AM
They never even got that into him in FF7 so i think they should have made DoC on another character like Barret.He was one of the stories characters and wasnt optional.Vincent is so wierd and ugly looking anyway.

Camanche
03-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I bet a lot of fans would disagree with you on that one. Optional or not, Vincent had a lot of backstory to him, and helped flesh out the plot of FFVII. Barret, and own little personal story had closure, Vincent's didn't. Not to mention, many people are rabid fans of him. I think his design is quite classic to be honest. :p

Greiver205
03-17-2005, 12:45 AM
I dont know why he is so popular...and he only had one event that waterfall thing...so how is that a lot of backstory. It just doesnt make sense to me.

LH
03-17-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm assuming they'll expand on that.

Camanche
03-17-2005, 02:41 AM
Um, he has more events then that. Flashbacks to his past an what not. His backstory is there, but it is still rather mysterious, leaving it opened to be expanded on. Vincent never got closure to his end of the story, unlike most of the cast.

Dolentrean
03-17-2005, 04:15 AM
yes his background is very in depht, if you use him you start noticing he begins to open up more to the group. he also begins to come to peace with himself throughout the story you just have to pay attention. actualy if you fight hojo with him he says I was wrong Hojo... the one who should have slept... was you" if you think about whot Vincint thinks about himself that is a very powerful line. He was very alone and very tortured and never forgave himself even after Lutricia forgave him.

Camanche
03-17-2005, 05:19 AM
While I can obviously see how he got some closure when defeating Hojo- that's the main reason he travelled with you- but I think there's a lot more nitty gritty in Vincent's past. A lot of it is intertwined with people from Shinra as well, who's pasts are mostly a mystery. (Reeve, for an example, is in DoC.) Maybe it's me, but I never thought Vincent was developed as fully as he should of been. He's so damn quiet most of the time, that he seems to fade into the background when put up against any of the other chracters.

Greiver205
03-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Exactly since he was so quiet in the story he didnt get much attention so why a whole game on him...

Dolentrean
03-17-2005, 10:10 PM
because like Camanche and I have been saying, he was a very well developed charecter but never had any real closer and had a lot of mysteries in his backstory

Camanche
03-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Exactly since he was so quiet in the story he didnt get much attention so why a whole game on him...

Um, sorry If I'm being a bit of a pain, but I think you just answered your own question there. :p

Greiver205
03-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Really...I did ? :surprised

Camanche
03-18-2005, 01:34 AM
Well, I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but...

He didn't get much attention in the story, therefore, we didn't know as much about him as we did the other characters. He's all *wiggles fingers* mysterious and what not, so it leaves more for Square to delve into if they are making an entire game based around his character. As I said before, most of the other characters received closure to their own personal stories, or vendettas. Vincent "didnt get much attention", so they wanted to focus and elaborate on him more through the medium of a video game.

Greiver205
03-18-2005, 01:57 AM
I wasnt being sarcastic,dont worry...and well i guess you got a point, but either way i still dont like him that much. sorry its just my opinion.

Camanche
03-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Hey, hey. Certainly, that's obviously something you are entitled to. I was just hoping to give you a reasonable explanation as to why Square is making a game based on him. And also, maybe a little insight into his character that you might have missed.

Yuffie514
03-19-2005, 12:57 AM

so, is that why he wasn't part of the original VII cast :mad: , 'cuz it was an option whether to get him or not ;) (an event which i didn't skip ;) ). i was just wondering :eyebrow: , since i underrated Vince and didn't get a chance to know him better :confused: .

Greiver205
03-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Yea i underrated him to. Hey Yuffie514 is your favorite character Yuffie ???

Yuffie514
03-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Yea i underrated him to. Hey Yuffie514 is your favorite character Yuffie ???

absolutely :jap: :goofy: . we're practically the same :upsidedow .

Greiver205
03-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Cool, I think Yuffie is awesome too, i cant wait to see her in the movie. My favorite character is Red XIII though.

Shoden
03-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I prefer Cloud and Vincent

Xalioniaf
03-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Okay, you guys are getting it all wrong! Here's the real story behind it.

One day, Vincent was avoiding his gothic fans, when he got a call from Square-Enix and SCEA about making a game based on him. So, he took a secret entrance out of the Shin-Ra Mansion, and on the way, met Cait Sith who happened to be doing children's parties after the team broke up. They teamed up, and went acroos Final Fantasy Landia. You see, in order to get to the real world from FFL, you have to backtrack the entire series. Tidus and all them have a hell of a time when they get called up by Square-Enix, and all the other spin-offs don't get any access, especially Mystic Quest, who's world is behind 20 gates of titanium. Anyway, Vincent and Cait Sith make their way thru FFL, battling 3-D Goblins, 2-D Goblins, forever altering the plotline of FFVI when they come in and kill Paladin Cecil, allowing Dark Knight Cecil to break free and wreak havoc upon FFVI Landia. They kill the Onion Kids because they don't like them, and destroy the Light Warrior's ORBs with their 3-D prowess. Anyway, they come upon the gate to Square-Enix, and go in. The head of SE tells them to go back to their world, where they'll meet up with the crew who want's to make a game based on Vincent. Then they notice Cait Sith, and say he can do somethign in the game as long as he isn't annoying. So, they go back, and as they go, they blow up Pandimonium and save the kingdom of Fynn, and they kill General Leo because he stared at them weird, then make it look like someone else did it. They make it back, and meet up with the crew, who provide no reason whatsoever to why they want to make this game.

And, that's the real story behind the game.

In case you didn't notice, this is fake. And if you think this is real, you need help.

Camanche
03-20-2005, 01:53 PM
LOL. *groans*

Yup kiddies, that's what happened. (Don't read the spoiler, it'll ruin the entire plot of all subsequent FF's that Square releases.) ;)

Flamethrower
03-20-2005, 03:18 PM
They picked Vincent because he's dark and mysterious. Gamers eat up dark and mysterious characters with a spoon.

LH
03-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Gamers eat up dark and mysterious characters with a spoon.

While sitting and crying alone in the dark.

Greiver205
03-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Sometimes...but Vincent is too dark and myserious.

TurkSlayer
03-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Vicent was one of my three favorite characters in FF7, and probably at the top of the list (My other two are Cloud and Yuffie(And Yes, I realize Yuffie has a COMPLETELy different personality) And even after killing Hojo and being forgiven by Lucercia, he still couldn't forgive himself. Besides, we don't know anything about Vincent before Lucercia's death, except he was a Turk. They probably decided Vincent needed more of a story. Of course, they could have done a shooter with Reno as well, because I know a lot of people who like Reno. Of courset hey are making Before Crisis with Reno, but I think that would be better on PS2.

Greiver205
03-25-2005, 04:33 PM
I dont like shooter games that much...

TurkSlayer
03-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Neither am I, but as long as it has Vincent, I'll play it.

Greiver205
03-27-2005, 12:35 AM
o ok...that makes it worse for me...im just gonna get it cause its part of FF7 compilation thing.

TurkSlayer
03-27-2005, 01:18 AM
I don't really understand people who don't like Vincent, but you certainly have the right to your own opinion. And I still think thereshould be a PS2 game with Reno. BTW, I believe Cait Sith will also be playable, which actually may make even worse for you. :D

GibsonGoth131
03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
I think it's about Vincent cuz' its OBVIOUS how big a role he's gonna play in Advent Children. Also, in Advent Children, he seems to know more about what's going on than everyone else, atleast from what they show in the previews (take that Cloud!). Also, if you look at the profiles for Vincent in the movie and Dirge of Cerberus, you may have noticed he hasn't aged a bit. He's still 27...... soo there's obviously something BIG planned for Vincent. Also, I too think Cloud's gonna die... Not much reasoning, I just have this feeling he'll die... hopefully I'm wrong though cuz' I still really like Cloud!

Greiver205
04-01-2005, 02:04 AM
i actually like Cait Sith better than Vincent...and a ps2 game with Reno would be awesomw...he was cool too

Camanche
04-12-2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, we need a game starring Reno. Now dammit! Before Crisis doesn't count. I want a real PS2 or 3 game.

zpforter
04-14-2005, 12:43 AM
ugh...call me dramatic, but i couldnt stand Cait Sith no matter how nice his/her slots limit may have been. the character to begin with was just kinda irritating. it was like a rash....at first mild discomfort.....then full blown irritation. that full blown irritation came at about the same time that it decieved the group. grr.....

i forget how i first learned that there were hidden characters in FFVII, but i heard about how shady Vincent's past was and i was automatically drawn to his character.

i heard that DoC was supposed to be very close to DMC. does anyone know if they are going to release that in the US? i heard this was even a sequel to AC. it picks up a year after the events in AC. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/548/548211p1.html)
the graphics in it look pretty cool too.

MoonZapdos
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Ya know, Vincent was a damn good character. Everyone liked him. Thus it would change A LOT the storyline if Red XIII was the main character.

Luthien Rogue
04-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm going to ask Squall to answer this, because he knows the TRUE reason. :joey:

Squall of SeeD
04-17-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm going to ask Squall to answer this, because he knows the TRUE reason. :joey:

At my sweety's request, I'll answer the question. ^^;

Because he's hot and they know his fans -- and even those who aren't particularly fans of him -- would gladly to pay see more of him. He's likely as popular as Sephiroth in that regard, if not moreso, but would make a lot more sense in regard to the plot to use for such a purpose... due to him still being alive, whereas Sephy isn't.

Greiver205
04-18-2005, 11:56 PM
im not glad about it...i dont like Vincent

Croyles
04-20-2005, 06:17 PM
vince is the bomb