PDA

View Full Version : Berserk

Shadow8017
02-28-2005, 10:16 AM
It's 4:00 AM and yeah I'm pretty tired so I'm not about to go into any sort of detail here but its my favorite anime series ... its based on the manga by Kentarou Miura. Anyone seen it?

Anxious Heart
03-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I did. I also read the manga.
There are two different feelings fighting in me according to this anime... I disliked the blood. I don't know if that was intended, but the effect was overworked. After the 10th fight, in which Guts/Gutz/Gats killed 100 men, it became boring. War and violence seemed to be the only way to solve any problem.... nothing new at all.

What I really liked was the portrayal of The Black Swordsman as a loner, who is seeking himself. And of course Griffith as the white light figure, who casts a pitch-dark shadow.

Hm... the characters were great, but the plot was too much black-and-white-painting. Here is the good and there is the evil..... the interesting thing is, that they didn't do that with the characters but with the story. In this respect it was okay.... the characters made up the plot for sure.

I think, I recommend this anime. But it is not at all suitable for sensetive souls.

Shadow8017
03-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Believe me theres much worse anime out there in terms of violence. Overrall I think berserk deals with some very serious deep subject matter and therefore I think it would be a cop-out if they softened up the gore. In other words, the violence remains true to the tone of the story. I'm not sure exactly how you came to the conclusion the plot was black and white ... up until the eclipse in episode 23 or whatever the story mainly focused on the conflict between midland and chuder and it was never implied that either side was inherently "good" or "evil". And if you're trying to imply Guts as being "good" ... I would say not so much, he's chaotic good at best but not a cookie-cutter "good" protagonist by no means. but you're certainly right about the characters ... I still dont know what to think of griffith =p

krissy
03-01-2005, 09:27 PM
good music

Anxious Heart
03-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, maybe 'black and white' was the wrong expression.... what I meant was 'Here are the White Hawks, there is an enemy, let's produce come blood'. It was kind of too easy. They had great and deep subjects, but they could have made more out of them. This is what I like about FF. There is not one red thread swimming through each scene... there are a lot of different coloured threads, meeting each other from time to time.
About the blood-effect.... it is always a question of the extend... I guess if they had used less blood, they could have achieved the same effect. After 5 parts my senses were numb. So there was no emotional effect any more. I don't know, if that was intended.

XxSephirothxX
03-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Berserk was incredible. I'm in the process of reading the manga now, as the end of the anime doesn't conclude things in the least.

Shadow8017
03-04-2005, 04:35 AM
well you do realize that the very first episode in the first volume is technically the "end" ... I say this because the first time I watched it through and episode 25 ended with Guts screaming I didn't immediately recall that first episode ... so I was like yeah that's the worst ending ever. Anyway, ya they really should follow up on more berserk anime ... wonder what's taking them so long?

XxSephirothxX
03-04-2005, 09:37 PM
well you do realize that the very first episode in the first volume is technically the "end" ... I say this because the first time I watched it through and episode 25 ended with Guts screaming I didn't immediately recall that first episode ... so I was like yeah that's the worst ending ever. Anyway, ya they really should follow up on more berserk anime ... wonder what's taking them so long?

Yes, I knew that the beginning was technically the end, but it was in no way a real conclusion. It was more of a beginning. The author of the manga has even made a statement that 'now that the (insert name) arc is finished, the story of Berserk can truly begin.' And that was probably a good 30 volumes past what the anime covers. They aren't planning on making another anime, either.

Shadow8017
03-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Uhh I'm pretty sure there's only like 27/28 volumes total to begin with...