PDA

View Full Version : Train, train, take us away (spoilers)

TheSpoonyBard
02-28-2005, 11:09 PM
"Train, train, take us away
Into the future we will go"
Or something similar. These are the words to Selphie's song in the train from Balamb to Timber. Using Barret's quote "There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on" and the lyrics from Selphies song it is possible to predict the rest of the game.

Selphie unintentionally (or is it?) tells us what happens in the game. Trains run on one track, unable to deviate from it's course until it reaches it's destination. Let's call this 'Destiny'. It is Squall's destiny to travel along a path of which he has no control and ultimately this path will lead to time travel into the future.

Now is this coincidence and I'm looking too deeply into it, or have I hit on something significant?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-28-2005, 11:17 PM
It's a game, so don't look to much into it! And I think Selphie was singing it to represent going into Laguna's time or something like that. And yes Squall has the power to control his future, but some times he has to listen to SEED's orders.

Destai
02-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Is there any such thing as a coincidence in FF? :p

TheSpoonyBard
02-28-2005, 11:26 PM
But Laguna's 'dream' took place in the past. Selphie is talking about going into the future.

About Squall's destiny. At no point in the game does Squall give up and go home. He contemplates it but decides not to. Why? Because there is something motivating him, driving him forward, much like the engine of a train drives the carriages. It all seems to link so well there must be some significance.

seiyuimore
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
May be that song is for telling people to think about the future and not getting tied with the past. As Ellone said, they can't change the past so just go forward to future

Destai
02-28-2005, 11:30 PM
In what FF isnt the character motivated. I think thats a pretty common link making it less significant. I really thought this was nothing more than just making Selphie out to be a four year old as per usual.

rubah
03-01-2005, 12:25 AM
At first, you don't know that laguna is in the past^_^
But I thought it was just selphie being ditzy and cute^_^

barret+extended metaphors != anything good.

udsuna
03-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Umm... trains have been a pretty big symbol for the final fantasy series from six on (maybe earlier- I can't be sure). There are a couple good poems about them that I think the creators of the series happened to like and chose to incorperate into the story. But the symbolism has been present for a while.

Kamrusepas
03-01-2005, 06:03 AM
About Squall's destiny. At no point in the game does Squall give up and go home. He contemplates it but decides not to. Why? Because there is something motivating him, driving him forward, much like the engine of a train drives the carriages.

And that something is decency. He can't leave the world on the brink of destruction and go home and have coffee :)

Slade
03-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Im pretty sure the tune that goes with Selphies song is the map music.....it fits.

Skyblade
03-01-2005, 06:20 AM
At first, you don't know that laguna is in the past^_^
But I thought it was just selphie being ditzy and cute^_^

barret+extended metaphors != anything good.

I agree one hundred percent.

...Although I still love the "Golden Shiny Wire of Hope"... :D

Camanche
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Heh, that's kind of a neat idea for a metaphor and forshadowing in the game. I don't know if this was the creator's intent, but it's nice to think they have a grasp of literary devices. But the fact that it's so subtle makes me think otherwise. I'd like to think it has a Deep Meaning, but I just figured it was one of Selphie's cheerful quirks. All the characters have little quirks to go along with their unique personalities.

Future Esthar
03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Good point,ForestOwl.This sing expresses what is really happening on the game.But the meaning is much more deep than that.It is quite LITERAL instead of metaphorical.It pointīs to something wonderful.But itīs not so logical as you think(itīs not that the train reaches to itīs destiny 30 minutes after departure or something like that).Itīs something unimaginable and not too evident.

Itsunari 2000
03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Hmmm ...I didn't realize that the song had any significance till now... then again , I'm just totally useless when it comes to identifying literal subtleties like that, even if it is a basic metaphor.Inever imagined it was somehow referring to the time-travel element of the game.

* whistles melody of "Train Song " *

Good thinking , Forest Owl.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Selphie always wants to go in the back room of the trains, I think she just likes train rides.

Shoden
03-04-2005, 09:48 PM
yeah Barret was never good with Metaphors bu Selphie is saying into the future after you hear Ellone say "you cannot change the past" you figure out what Selphie meant she may have believed that this train is on a one way track through the future once the future becomes the past theres nothing you can do

rubah
03-04-2005, 11:55 PM
*or* maybe she just likes train rides.

Destai
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
You stole my comment! :mad2:

Lucky Charms
03-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Well, everyone knows how the Japanese love their trains.. the lyrics you're giving are English.. I'd like to know the Japanese sentenced version of that.. just curious..

Angel Of Apocolypse
03-13-2005, 02:36 AM
Yeah
"Train, train, take us away. Take us away, far away. To the future we will go, where it leads no one knows..."
I guess you're right...

MJN SEIFER
03-14-2005, 02:02 PM
It's a game, so don't look to much into it!

We shall actually. It's alright to look deep into a game/film/story because that shows as sign of good writing that there usally IS something hidden (And square put "Hidden" messages in alot trust me)

Who would you like to "MAKE MOVIES WITH?!"

Future Esthar
03-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Rubah is the only one who canot see them,MJN Seifer.But I donīt wanna to discuss more.

nik0tine
03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Rubah is the only one who canot see them,MJN Seifer.But I donīt wanna to discuss more.

Oh my god please do. The things you have to say are always amusing, and interesting, even though sometimes they don't make much sense.

rubah
03-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh yey:D I'm blind now^_^

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-05-2005, 01:07 AM
That's ok, we can be blind together