PDA

View Full Version : every Summon EVER!!!

zimmunky
03-01-2005, 02:48 AM
Can neone name all of the summons in every square game? i havnt played all the games and i was wondering if neone knew them all???

DocFrance
03-01-2005, 03:07 AM
No.

EDIT: It depends on your definition of a summon. You're not likely to find too many outside of Final Fantasy.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Final Fantasy III
Chocobo
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Titan
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Final Fantasy IV
Chocobo
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Titan
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Mist Dragon
Goblin
Bomb
Mind Flayer
Cockatrice
Black Dragon (Used only by Golbeza.)
Sylph
Ashura
Final Fantasy V
Chocobo
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Titan
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Sylph
Remora
Golem
Catoblepas
Carbuncle
Syldra
Phoenix
Final Fantasy VI
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Odin
Bahamut
Golem
Catoblepas
Carbuncle
Phoenix
Vrigarmandah
Cait Sith
Kirin
Siren
Lakshmi
Unicorn
Bismarck
Phantom
Madin
Zone Seeker
Seraphim
Fenrir
Quetzali
Midgard Sorm
Alexander
Ragnarök
Raijin
Jihad
Final Fantasy VII
Chocobo & Môguri
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Titan
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Phoenix
Alexander
Knights of the Round
Kujata
Bahamut Reborn
Bahamut Form Zero
Hades
Typhon
Final Fantasy Tactics
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Titan
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Sylph
Golem
Carbuncle
Midgard Sorm (Used only by Elidpius.)
Môguri
Fairy
Lich
Salamander
Cyclops
Zodiac
Final Fantasy VIII
Chocobo Child
Shiva
Efreet
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Carbuncle
Phoenix
Siren
Alexander
Quetzalcoatl
Pandemonia
Diabolos
Brothers
Cerberus
Glasya Labolas
Sabotender
Tonberry
Gilgamesh
Môguri Child
Moomba
Eden
Tiamat (A boss.)
Griever (You never get to use it, but it's still a Guardian Force.)
Final Fantasy IX
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Odin
Leviathan
Bahamut
Carbuncle
Phoenix
Madiin
Fenrir
Alexander (Only appears in a story scene.)
Atomos
Ark
Final Fantasy X
Shiva
Efreet
Bahamut
Valefor
Ixion
Yojimbo
Anima
Magus Sisters
Sin (Again, not one you can control, but a summoned beast nonetheless.)
Final Fantasy XI
Shiva
Efreet
Ramu
Titan
Odin
Leviathan
Carbuncle
Fenrir
Garuda
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Shiva
Efreet
Carbuncle
Phoenix
Kirin
Unicorn
Madiin
Famfreet
Ultima
Adramelech
Exodus
Mateus
The only game I can think of offhand that has summons but isn't a Final Fantasy game is Kingdom Hearts.

kikimm
03-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Well, Drakengard has summons, but they're human; I'm not sure if you want to count those, but there it is.

:D

Masamuneˇ1600
03-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Chrono Cross also has summons; there are 12 total (two for each color element). They are:

Unicorn (White)
Saints (White)

MotherShip (Black)
GrimReaper (Black)

Sonja (Green)
Genie (Green)

Golem (Yellow)
ThundaSnake (Yellow)

RedWolf (Red)
Salamander (Red)

FrogPrince (Blue)
BlueWhale (Blue)

Also, I'm not sure you can call Elidibs' 'Midgar Swarm' from FFT a summon, since it can damage him as well. In FFT, all summons damage only enemies or heal only allies. This is supported by the fact that summoners can learn the hidden summon Zodiac from him, but not Midgar Swarm.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-01-2005, 03:59 AM
There are exceptions. In FFVI, Jihad's attacks does damage to the party as well as the enemy. Plus, if a technique has a huge show-stealing magical creature come down and use some devastating attack before disappearing whence it came, and especially if the name of the technique is the name of this very creature, it counts as a summoning.

MecaKane
03-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Golbez summons a dark/black/something dragon in the first fight underground, too. Stayed around longer than Rydia's summons, but it said summon for the attack. :o

Sepho
03-01-2005, 04:57 PM
To add to the list, if we're considering Greiver a Guardian Force, then Tiamat is perhaps also a legitimate entry. He is never summoned by Ultimecia, but his Scan information notes that he is a GF corrupted by her.

DJZen
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Golbez summons a dark/black/something dragon in the first fight underground, too. Stayed around longer than Rydia's summons, but it said summon for the attack. :o

Dark Dragon? Something like that? I don't rememder the "correct" translations of things...

KH summons:

Dumbo
Tinkerbell
Mushu
Genie
Simba
Bambi

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Fixed. Good looking out.

Big D
03-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Technically, nearly every monster the daylight areas of Lea Monde in Vagrant Story is a summoned creature. Most of the creatures fought throughout the game are summoned from the Dark by Sydney, or by corrupt members of the Church army. The Dark Crusader, for instance, is seen to be summoned by Grissom.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-02-2005, 06:16 AM
There are also a bunch of Phantom Beast NPCs in FFIV and FFVI.

zimmunky
03-03-2005, 03:18 AM
if u include ones that are summons that you cant use then you gotta put in the summon the bizarro sephiroth used. cant remember the name though.....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-03-2005, 03:46 AM
A supernova isn't a beast, and therefore it can't be a Phantom Beast. If Sephiroth summoned like a huge space dragon that shot the sun until it exploded, causing a supernova, that'd be different. As it is, though, regardless of what people want to say, Super Nova is not a summon.

BlackCape
03-03-2005, 03:48 AM
technichally,didnt Sephireth summon Meteor?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-03-2005, 03:52 AM
Meteor is a spell in FFVII, just like it is in FFII, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, and prettymuch every other game. Holy is a spell, too. It's just that, in FFVII, they were directly tied into the plot. Meteor is even called the "Ultimate Destructive [read: Black] Magic" in the game. So, no, Sephiroth didn't summon Meteor, he cast Meteor.

Doomgaze
03-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Tidus is kind of an Aeon, isn't he?

You had your chance to play it, spoiler-time's over.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Your mom is an Aeon, sir.

udsuna
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't know if Legend of Dragoon quite fits in here, but there were some later-level spells that allowed the "summoning" of dragons to cast whatever their specialty spell trick was. I only remember the white dragon and its very impressive healing ability.

Sefie1999AD
03-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Your mom is an Aeon, sir.

ROFL!

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories also has summons. It has those that DJzen listed, plus a few others. Practically, you also summon your party members (Donald, Goofy, Ariel, Aladdin, Peter Pan, Jack Skellington, Beast and King Mickey), but if only "real" summons count, then Cloud Strife is also a summon. Sora asks him if he wants to join your party. He says he's not interested, then he becomes your summoned beast/character.

Memorylight
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
How do you get the Chain of Memories?

DJZen
03-03-2005, 10:21 PM
I don't know if Legend of Dragoon quite fits in here, but there were some later-level spells that allowed the "summoning" of dragons to cast whatever their specialty spell trick was. I only remember the white dragon and its very impressive healing ability.

Legend of Dragoon isn't a Square game. It's a Sony game IIRC.

Masamuneˇ1600
03-03-2005, 10:49 PM
There are exceptions. In FFVI, Jihad's attacks does damage to the party as well as the enemy. Plus, if a technique has a huge show-stealing magical creature come down and use some devastating attack before disappearing whence it came, and especially if the name of the technique is the name of this very creature, it counts as a summoning.

Well, on a technicality, the original question asked for summons, as opposed to every instance of summoning in the series. If that were the case, you would have to include, for example, the Pooder and Bad Rap Samples Hojo calls upon in FFVII, or when the first Black Waltz brings up the Sealion in FFIX. That last example clearly demonstrates summoning, yet I would not classify Sealion as a summon. Summons are essentially a class unto themselves, and, except for a few rare cases, are accessible to the party. The exceptions, of course, would be for situations like Griever, clearly a GF despite the fact that the party can never use him.

I do like your suggestion for the summon NPC's in FFIV and VI; they would match my definition.

In response to your Jihad example, allow me to point out that FFVI was absolutely awash with instances of "unfocused damage." Merton, Quake, WWind....we all know. Given the prominence of that style of attack in that game, it makes sense that they would have had an unfocused Esper.

However, FFT is a tactical game, where you have take movement of a character into attack range into consideration. Much of the usefulness of summons in FFT is derived from the fact that this is not a concern; you can't slaughter your own characters with Bahamut or Odin or Zodiac. The fact that Midgar Swarm doesn't follow this pattern classifies it as a spell, which I always liked to think was somehow related to Bio in that game.

My second point, however, clearly dismisses Midgar Swarm as a summon. If it were, any summoner who survived the attack would have learned it. As such, Midgar Swarm is a best an instance of a summoning, rather than a legitimate "summon," and probably not even that.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2005, 12:10 AM
The map zooms out, the camera drifts upwards, we see the Midgard Sorm blur and dart around as the map spins and receives the damage. Just like every other summon in the game.

DJZen
03-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Plus which it was a summon in FFVI anyway. I'm definitely siding with Kishi on this.

Del Murder
03-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Shocker.

What did 'Cait Sith' translate to in FFVI?

Also: Was Eiko's Mog considered a summon? 'Gaurdian Mog' or something like that.

Sepho
03-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Well, Mog = Madeen, which is already covered as an Eidolon.
The "Guardian Mog" was a support ability that Eiko could equip.

Del Murder
03-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Did it do anything?

Sepho
03-12-2005, 08:37 AM
"Mog protects with unseen forces", whatever that means.

I read what it did one time, but I presently forget.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-12-2005, 11:05 AM
What did 'Cait Sith' translate to in FFVI?Woolsey called it "Stray."

udsuna
03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
"Mog protects with unseen forces", whatever that means.

I read what it did one time, but I presently forget.

I believe it generally boosts her luck stat and when Ribbon is equipped, boosts that as well. It also adds additional abilities to Madeen.

Oh, and yeah, LoD doesn't count :mad:. But it STILL has summons, you can't take that from me :p.

KuRt
03-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Also bahamut lagoon summons:
Valitora
Leviathan
Garuda
Jormungand
Hyperion
Bahamut
Alexander

And also their baby forms:

Vali
Levvy
Garu
Jormy
Hypie
Bahamie
Alex

Flamethrower
03-18-2005, 07:24 PM
You guys forgot the best summon. The IMP :cool:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Oh look.
Final Fantasy IV
Goblin

Flamethrower
03-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Pfft, Goblin. :rolleyes2 Poor man's Imp.

KuRt
03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
also ffV shoat

Doomgaze
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Final Fantasy V

12. Catoblepas

KuRt
03-21-2005, 12:32 PM
catoblepas and shoat are different summon monsters, still the same effect. tou can get catoblepas by beating a catoblepas and use the item that tou get from it. and shoat tou get by killing a shoat and using the item it drops. same effect, different summon still.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Shoat and Catoblepas are the same thing.

Masamuneˇ1600
03-23-2005, 06:23 AM
Catoblepas is Shoat; Goblin is Imp. The names were "localized" during translation. There's certainly nothing missing from the games noted on that list.