PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like dropping out of college?

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 05:11 AM
I know I do sometimes, but I won't. My grades are pretty good, not the greatest, but good...but sometimes the stress of college is killing me.

Like, I'm going to be a math teacher that teaches no more than Pre-Cal, yet I have to learn Abstract algebra, Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Calculus 4, Statistical Probability, etc. I'm NEVER going to use this stuff anyways. A co-worker of mine has a math degree, he's an actuary at an auto-insurance firm...he never uses any of the upper level undergrad math he learned. I swear, it's all profit. They say we have to take all these science classes to broaden our horizon...broaden my ass...but eh.

There are times when I think, I should just quit and just work full time. I make $13.40/hr, which is good...but if I work the standard 40 hours a week, I'm due to make about 28k/year...this is before taxes too. So I think, even teachers start off higher than that.

But eh...I'm just so stressed out now. All this math is killing me.

krissy
03-01-2005, 05:15 AM
No. I've tried to imagine what it would be like and it got really boring really fast.

i like linear alg. vectors mostly, but that's cuz its easy i guess. hate markov chains.

could be a student all my life. because every now and then there's really good things you learn that are interesting. technically most of what you're learning should be interesting at least a bit to you, otherwise you might have chosen the wrong direction.

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 05:18 AM
No. I've tried to imagine what it would be like and it got really boring really fast.

i like linear alg. vectors mostly, but that's cuz its easy i guess. hate markov chains.

could be a student all my life. because every now and then there's really good things you learn that are interesting. technically most of what you're learning should be interesting at least a bit to you, otherwise you might have chosen the wrong direction.

I really like math, I really do. But one thing about math is that it testes your patience. I know that if I keep trying I'll eventually get it. But I actually enjoyed Linear Algebra, I remember Markov chains, symmetric matrices, QR factorizations, etc.

But eh...even if I did choose the wrong path(I don't feel I have), I've invested too much into it to change. Tuition this year alone has cost me $6000, with aid. So I can't afford to switch. But I can't imagine doing something as easy as being an English major or sociology...I would hate myself for it.

Mirage
03-01-2005, 05:18 AM
All the time. Really, I do.

Hawkeye
03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

Miriel
03-01-2005, 05:26 AM
There are times, particularly at 4 AM in the morning when I'm killing myself over an essay, that I really believe that a life of flipping burgers might be a sound alternative.

Shlup
03-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Nah. Dropping out now would be an awful waste of the last four years, and my family would be like... ready to kill me. I don't think college is that hard.

The Captain
03-01-2005, 05:48 AM
I think at one point or another, all college students go through that feeling Dingo, where the stress piles up so high that they begin to question the value of where they are.

Yet, in the long run, there is no more potent or important tool to have at one's disposal than an education, and the ability to reason, think for yourself and be knowledgeable which all should stem from said education.

Also, the world is becoming an increasingly tough place to live in without a college education as many more people are in college and therefore, it's becoming almost mandatory if you want to find any type of job that is both self-satisfying and can bring a relative degree of money and security to your life.

All in all, try your best to hang in there. Only a few more months before the summer break, and there should be a nice week off on the horizon for most American college students as well.

Take care all.

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
I think at one point or another, all college students go through that feeling Dingo, where the stress piles up so high that they begin to question the value of where they are.

Yet, in the long run, there is no more potent or important tool to have at one's disposal than an education, and the ability to reason, think for yourself and be knowledgeable which all should stem from said education.

Also, the world is becoming an increasingly tough place to live in without a college education as many more people are in college and therefore, it's becoming almost mandatory if you want to find any type of job that is both self-satisfying and can bring a relative degree of money and security to your life.

All in all, try your best to hang in there. Only a few more months before the summer break, and there should be a nice week off on the horizon for most American college students as well.

Take care all.

Yeah...I know that the stress will sway me towards dropping out, but I guess academic stress beats paying the bills stress.

I mean they say ignorance is bliss, and I've always believed that...but not so much that I'm going to throw away a college degree. I know that in a few years, when I'm teaching those students...I'll hug myself for staying and hanging in there.

But you're right, the world is becoming more and more degree dependent, and I hate to be one of those disposable factory workers too.

The Captain
03-01-2005, 05:57 AM
"I know that in a few years, when I'm teaching those students...I'll hug myself for staying and hanging in there."

Honestly, in my humble opinion, there is no nobler profession than teaching. Hopefully giving the gift of education to others so that they too can be both happy and successful in their endeavors is in my mind, the single greatest achievement any one person can accomplish and I wish you the best of luck, though I know you'll beat the stress and do great anyway.

Take care all.

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 06:17 AM
"I know that in a few years, when I'm teaching those students...I'll hug myself for staying and hanging in there."

Honestly, in my humble opinion, there is no nobler profession than teaching. Hopefully giving the gift of education to others so that they too can be both happy and successful in their endeavors is in my mind, the single greatest achievement any one person can accomplish and I wish you the best of luck, though I know you'll beat the stress and do great anyway.

Take care all.

Geez, I can see why no one can ever hate you. :)

But I hope nothing too drastic happens. It would be so perfect to start a family once I get a teaching job, but we'll see.

The Captain
03-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Several friends and peers of mine have gone into the teaching field and have reported that male teachers are in demand, so that's one bit of hope for you, if that helps any.

Probably the toughest part of teaching is keeping your energy level up, as the grind of teaching a subject everyday for nearly two thirds of a year and always trying to keep it both informative and interesting to the students is one tough juggling act.

Just out of curiousity, have any of your courses offered advice on how to mantain the balance between the information and the technique to connecting it to and with students?

Take care all.

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Several friends and peers of mine have gone into the teaching field and have reported that male teachers are in demand, so that's one bit of hope for you, if that helps any.

Probably the toughest part of teaching is keeping your energy level up, as the grind of teaching a subject everyday for nearly two thirds of a year and always trying to keep it both informative and interesting to the students is one tough juggling act.

Just out of curiousity, have any of your courses offered advice on how to mantain the balance between the information and the technique to connecting it to and with students?

Take care all.

Well, I am taking education courses, I've taken 4 of them...all of them were 400-level classes. I have to take 5 more. So when all is said and done, I'll have taken 11 Math classes (9 Math, 2 Stat) and 9 Education classes. I hope I'll be a good teacher...but we'll see.

My Education courses tries to teach me techniques and new ways with communicating with students. Half the teachers teaching now don't have an Education degree. So I'll have some leverage when I get out there. The reason why I want to teach is that I had some pretty bad teachers in the past, I want to change that. The best way to change something or someone is to replace them...sounds harsh, but that's reality sometimes.

The thing I'll probably hate most is waking up at 5AM. I have to be at class by 6AM, but the bell rings at 6:45AM...for now at least. Good thing is that the stress ends at 2:45, but since I have to start so early, that kind of even things out from a 9-5 day.

But I will keep my current job as a cashier, I want to work like, 4-8 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and work like 12-5 on Sundays when I teach. I kind of like the thought of being busy with 2 jobs and all, but we'll see how things turn out.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Didn't you just make a thread about how college is the best thing in the world?

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Didn't you just make a thread about how college is the best thing in the world?

Yeah. College is a GREAT experience. I love it. But, the stress of the work can get to you just as equally as the good vibes can.

Jebus
03-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Yeah. Quite often actually.

It's not just the stress, and the not so good grades, it's also because recently I've been gravitating towards something that I've always enjoyed doing: cooking. Suddenly I feel as though I want to find a professional culinary school and learn to cook. Both professionally and recreationally.

There's really nothing else I can do. I love science, but I'm bad at math. I love law, but I can't give a speech. I love art, but I'm not creative enough, and I sing out of tune. It basically leaves me with the one choice, but I don't just wanna drop out. I hate not finishing what I start.

Dingo Jellybean
03-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Yeah. Quite often actually.

It's not just the stress, and the not so good grades, it's also because recently I've been gravitating towards something that I've always enjoyed doing: cooking. Suddenly I feel as though I want to find a professional culinary school and learn to cook. Both professionally and recreationally.

There's really nothing else I can do. I love science, but I'm bad at math. I love law, but I can't give a speech. I love art, but I'm not creative enough, and I sing out of tune. It basically leaves me with the one choice, but I don't just wanna drop out. I hate not finishing what I start.

I know what you mean about having an interest but not being good in it.

The great thing about the human mind is that no matter how many times you do something, you'll eventually get it. It might take you your first try, 5th, or 50th...but it depends on how persistent you are. What motivates me is that Einstein flunked his first year of college. Go figure.

Samuraid
03-01-2005, 07:08 AM
No, dropping out would be a waste. My grades are pretty good as it is.

Rainecloud
03-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Hang on in there, Dingo. I'm sure your final grades will be well worth all the effort you're putting in. I absolutely hated College, but the good points far outweighed the bad points. For every bad lesson I was in, I had at least three free periods to catch up on other homework/coursework. Yeah, that's the only good thing I can remember about College - having more free time than High School.

Loony BoB
03-01-2005, 09:14 AM
If by college you mean university (college can also be high school in NZ), then I'd not drop out - I just didn't go. The problem with dropping out is that an employer may see it as you giving up on something you started, which isn't great. I didn't go because I knew it wasn't for me at the time.

Stick to it, in the long run you'll be a lot better off for it... well, in America, at the very least, it's practically vital as far as I know. =/

Krelbel
03-01-2005, 12:27 PM
If you leave in good standing, you can come back to most colleges at any time without having to re-apply at all (a very good thing)

I mean, from my experience, I got accepted to UC San Diego, spent a semester there, wasn't ready for the whole ordeal, went back home to get some growing up over with over two years. Was lucky enough to have a good community college. Now, this fall I can walk right back in with no worries. Good alternative to dropping out entirely, especially since you get to avoid the whole brutally competitive transfer process.

Spuuky
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I dropped out. I guess I just 'took a break' since I never unenrolled and I'm going again in September.

However, I never found it to be stressful. I never found it to be difficult. I did find it to be intensely boring and I found it hard to stay motivated. Having no direction and no interests does that.

I hate everything.

m4tt
03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I took a break after about a year of junior college.. It's been almost 4 years and that break is still going.

gokufusionss1
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
i only went to university to avoid getting a job, to be honest i can't really be bothered with it constantly feeling like i should just leave it alone, probably why my average is only 61%. but in my final year so should finish it.

theundeadhero
03-03-2005, 06:02 PM
I DID drop out of college and just look at me now! Wow!

There nothing to look at, really.

fire_of_avalon
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I left for this year, to take care of stuff at home. I miss it terribly.

eestlinc
03-04-2005, 03:25 AM
I almost got kicked but there was no way I wasn't going to graduate with my degree in four years. Even in the worst and toughest times I never wanted to quit college.