PDA

View Full Version : Help getting Tonberry GF!

Cltn2080
03-01-2005, 06:04 AM
I was told that if I defeated 20 tonberries in the Centra Ruins, the King Tonberry would appear. I've already beat about 25 of them and no sign of the King Tonberry. WTF!?

Skyblade
03-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Relax. It takes from 18-22, if I recall correctly. Your count is probably just a little too high. Breathe (keep breathing, even after they use Everyone's Grudge... :D ) and try again.

someguy
03-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but i've heard that you need to recieve 20 chief's knives from actually defeating the tonberry's and not just modding the cards to get them and such. And they don't always drop them after each battle as well :)

Sepho
03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Nah, that's untrue. I usually end up with anywhere from 5 to 10 Chef's Knife items after I've acquired Tonberry.

Like Skyblade said, most guides will state that you need to kill 18-22 Tonberries, before the king appears. It's very easy to lose count; he usually shows up for me at around 21. During my current playthrough, he showed up at 19 (I think).

The easiest way to kill Tonberries is to leave Squall's HP in the yellow and be liberal with his Renzokuken limit break. The only attack they use before they get close enough to knife you is Everyone's Grudge, and that will likely KO a Squall with 9,999 HP anyway, depending on how far you are into the game, and how frequently you fight (the damage dealt by Everyone's Grudge is based on the number of enemies the character has killed - and Squall has probably killed about 80% of your enemies).

A Spd-J junctioned or Auto-Hasted Squall with a high Str stat should be able to take out Tonberries with one or two Renzokuken's without getting interrupted. If he does get KO'ed by Everyone's Grudge, a Phoenix Down is all it takes to raise him and put him back into limit break-ready form.

Cuchulainn
03-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Isn't it true that Everyone's Grudge damage depends on how many Monsters a character has killed beforehand? I know it was that way in FFVII. The more you have killed the more damage you will gwt, just use2 characters that have killed less & Squall.

Sepho
03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Isn't it true that Everyone's Grudge damage depends on how many Monsters a character has killed beforehand? I know it was that way in FFVII. The more you have killed the more damage you will gwt, just use2 characters that have killed less & Squall.

Yep, that's true.

Tonberry's have high defense and HP, so it's difficult to wear them down and KO the before getting hit with too many Everyone's Grudge attacks as a counter, and possibly getting knifed. This is especially evident when you have to kill 20 of them in this manner.

That's why I recommend having a hasted Squall use a couple Renzokukens. If he gets hit by Everyone's Grudge, it would have killed him anyway, and he should be able to pull off two (shouldn't take more than one or two) Renzokukens without interruption. If he does get hit, a Phoenix Down will suffice.

Sepho
03-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Diablos can be a big help if you fight them while your characters' levels are low. But if the Tonberries have any more than 25,000 HP, summoning Diablos multiple times takes too long.

I started out using a combination of Diablos and Renzokuken, but on my last playthrough I had leveled up heavily and the Tonberries I were fighting had an insane amount of HP.

SeeDRankLou
03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
What are you doing when you kill the Tonberries? Are you killing them with physical attack, GFs, Card, or Devour. If you are using Card or Devour (I'm positive about the first and pretty sure about the second) then that kill doesn't count. You must actually see the Tonberry fall down and die to count as a kill. I made this mistake once while trying not to level up through the game. I forgot that they don't give you EXP, so I kept carding them, because it's faster and I was on a time limit because I wasn't getting Odin. So I carded like 25 and nothing. And then I realized my error, and I started killing them, and 20 later I got the Toberry King. And I don't know why, but I've played this game many many times, and every single time I've played this game it's has always been 20 Tonberries to get the Tonberry King.

My strategy for killing Tonberries involves a three Micro Missiles from Quistis and then a finishing blow from someone else.

seiyuimore
03-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I get Tonberry GF after I defeated Odin so I have no time limit. And I got it on the 2oth tonberry I killed.

My strategies for killing tonberries is having Quistis do micro missile 2 times and Irvine do Canister Shot for 2 times.

My strategies for Killing Tonberry King is having Irvine do Canister Shot and Quistis do Gatling Gun and Squall do the healing whenever Irvine or Quistis's health fall too low to prevent them from dying after the "junk" attack (That time becuase my Squall has no strenght junction so his attack hit is low.)

rubah
03-01-2005, 11:35 PM
I just use pulse ammo with irvine. You get chef knives=refine to pulse ammo, so you can't really run out.

SeeDRankLou
03-02-2005, 12:07 AM
I just use pulse ammo with irvine. You get chef knives=refine to pulse ammo, so you can't really run out.
You mean AP Ammo? :D

rubah
03-02-2005, 01:25 AM
ap, pulse, whatever:P

It does good damage and kills them tonberries.

Kills 'em right dead.

Skyblade
03-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Piffle. Just use Renzokuken with the Lionheart and 255 strength. You'll get a bunch of dead Tonberry's really quickly. They can't survive more than two when I do this, usually they won't even survive one. Also, if you have fast characters, wait for the Tonberry to take two steps before unleashing everything at him. If you can kill him before he gets to you everything will be fine. Once he's taken two steps towards you, he'll stop using Everyone's Grudge. Renzokuken away!

Laugh at face of Danger
03-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Collect 20xXChef's Knife without beating tonberry, then defeat one tonberry and Tonberry King will appear. Demi and Diabloswont work and make sure to cast triple and haste if your characters are slow or without initiative

rubah
03-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Why does the number of chef's knives matter?

I always refined all mine^_^