PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping a waste of your time??? Try this

super sayin Tidus
03-02-2005, 02:25 AM
OK.. March my month of madness. I'm going to attempt to completly change my sleep pattern. Here's how it goes. Work,Course work,FF,music and oh the the ever more addictive internet, more or less my day. Alot to cram into a day with work taking up 9hrs a day 6 days of the week so......! The conclusion i have arised at is to create lots of spare time by sleepign once every two night so i have a whole night to do what i enjoy doing instead of getting 3/4hrs sleep and waking up for work all grumpy. :(
So i have currently been up awake for 21hrs and 20 mins, so i go to sleep tommorow<or today even> at say 10pm and i have created lots of spare time. Over the month i will try to adapt my body to this lifestyle and get into regualr eating times to fit with the night where i don't sleep.....!
If anyone else has tried this pure maddness let my know.
What are your views on what i intend to do?
Anyone else thinks sleep wastes time?

rubah
03-02-2005, 02:30 AM
. . .

I've never stayed up for an entire 24 hours, and I like my sleep thankyouverymuch.

Madness is a very good word for this.
<723 sleep.

Carnage
03-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Poser

Spike369
03-02-2005, 02:47 AM
I like my sleep. If I dont get enough it starts to effect my moods. I normally get angered very easily.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Or you could go the Kramer route and sleep for 20 minutes once every three hours.

super sayin Tidus
03-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Poser
What?

ljkkjlcm9
03-02-2005, 03:08 AM
dude that's the dumbest thing I've heard, no offense. Humans need sleep to perform certain functions DAILY, if you don't get even the required amount of sleep your body needs in a day, you have problems, forget about not having enough for 2 days! Your body wouldn't function correctly and you would be tired that second day, and using caffeine or something to stay awake, will just make it worse.

that's my two cents...

THE JACKEL

Spike369
03-02-2005, 03:13 AM
dude that's the dumbest thing I've heard, no offense. Humans need sleep to perform certain functions DAILY, if you don't get even the required amount of sleep your body needs in a day, you have problems, forget about not having enough for 2 days! Your body wouldn't function correctly and you would be tired that second day, and using caffeine or something to stay awake, will just make it worse.

that's my two cents...

THE JACKEL
i commpeltly agree with that. Because sleep is so nice i really dont see how anyone can hate sleep

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Yeah, I give it a week. If that.

super sayin Tidus
03-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Yeah it's not that i dont like sleep its just a thing i am trying you know. ave done the whole just drink for a week and 200 sit -ups a night thing,that was a tuffie. Ave done some crazy things. People says you can't go a week without eating i done it nearly died after it tho never the less it's possible. So why not experimenht with your body. Plus i get a sense of achivment out of doing this that require alot of will power and courage. So i will make it past a week and finish the month.

Kirkpatrick
03-02-2005, 03:34 AM
I actually did something kind of similar to this, about three years ago, but it was very not an intentional thing.

The deal was, I'm very much a night-person, and so in the summer I stay up pretty late, and often my schedule will shift later until I end up being awake until morning, and then napping in the day and it resets. Not very healthy, I know.

So anyway, I would be up all night one night, and then I would fall asleep at night, and be really tired, so I'd sleep quite late, and not be tired, and stay up again. This repeated for roughly fourteen nights, broken by the fact it was a really terrible thing to be doing to myself, and I had to start school soon.

I have had a fair amount of experience with sleeplessness, and I must say: I don't know anyone who can function as well with no sleep as they can with, and more free time isn't all that useful if you can't make good use of it, now is it? :P

Shlup
03-02-2005, 04:23 AM
I've stayed up for 32-ish hours a few times. Its hard.

Let us know how your experiment goes. I'm very interested.

Samuraid
03-02-2005, 05:08 AM
My longest uptime was 42 hours and that was due to flying from Israel to Germany then back to California.

The human body really does need sleep every night to function properly.

Destination0
03-02-2005, 06:08 AM
OK.. March my month of madness. I'm going to attempt to completly change my sleep pattern. Here's how it goes. Work,Course work,FF,music and oh the the ever more addictive internet, more or less my day. Alot to cram into a day with work taking up 9hrs a day 6 days of the week so......! The conclusion i have arised at is to create lots of spare time by sleepign once every two night so i have a whole night to do what i enjoy doing instead of getting 3/4hrs sleep and waking up for work all grumpy. :(
So i have currently been up awake for 21hrs and 20 mins, so i go to sleep tommorow<or today even> at say 10pm and i have created lots of spare time. Over the month i will try to adapt my body to this lifestyle and get into regualr eating times to fit with the night where i don't sleep.....!

well good luck mate...
max I was awake was 72 hours....driven by the circumstances...

Rase
03-02-2005, 06:45 AM
As much as I wish I didn't need sleep ( I wish you could just do it to feel good or if you were bored), I do, so I sleep a lot. But good luck, anyway.

Rainecloud
03-02-2005, 07:10 AM
You'll be dead within a week. :)

Meat Puppet
03-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Try making time to sleep for 6 hours instead of 3/4. You'll have less time to do things in overkill but hey, you'll be feeling better.

Probably.

Doomgaze
03-02-2005, 07:42 AM
The twins keep us on Centaurian time, standard thirty-seven hour day. Give it a few months. You'll get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
03-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Seems pretty drastic, though i doubt this will last for very long (i hope not cause as everyone says your body needs sleep) i suggest you make a rough plan of the week, like with your whole work commitments and stuff...its pretty clear you have a jamm packed scheduale right now so seriously, let go of the stuff that will cause you trouble, LIVE AND ENJOY!!!

never-the-less im not in charge of you do whatever you like best and see if this works or not, and if it doesnt, DONT FORCE IT!!

Miriel
03-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm also curious to see how you react psychologically. If you're coherent enough after a few days of sleep deprivation, post back here with results!

boris no no
03-02-2005, 09:34 AM
you'll be eating your own shoe within a week!
no sleep makes us do crazy things.... ;)

Rye
03-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I like sleeping and I don't get enough of it as it is. :(

BTW, you need sleep to function and remember things well. When you sleep, your brain processess the events in your day or something like that, but without sleep things are harder to remember and concentrate on.

Giga Guess
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Amen, Rye...but then...I am also kinda fascinated on how this'll work.

Psychotic
03-02-2005, 01:27 PM
The oldest woman...probably the oldest person in the world (I don't know if she's still alive though) used to stay awake for 24 hours, then sleep for 24 hours, and hey, it obviously worked for her.

ljkkjlcm9
03-02-2005, 01:28 PM
there are better ways to challenge yourself... try marine boot camp...

THE JACKEL

Hawkeye
03-02-2005, 01:58 PM
lets see... the latest i ever stayed up was 21hrs... i couldve done more, but i forced myself to go to sleep XP

Silmaril
03-02-2005, 02:41 PM
My sleep is too important for me to let go (even though i have exam startng the 7th).

Good luck anyway. :D

Mirage
03-02-2005, 04:45 PM
It is a better idea to sleep for about an hour 4 times daily. Your brain will adjust to it and go into REM sleep faster, which is the type of sleep you need As far as I know, you have REM sleep about 4 times each night if you have a "regular" sleep pattern, so yeah.
The result is 4 hours of sleep per day, half of what you need (on average) if you get all your sleep in one go.
The only problem is you'll need to do sleep breaks at your job, better ask your boss :p.

louby_4eva
03-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Work,Course work,FF,music and oh the the ever more addictive internet, more or less my day.

BTW, you need sleep to function and remember things well. When you sleep, your brain processess the events in your day or something like that, but without sleep things are harder to remember and concentrate on.

Your coursework isn't going to be all that great. How about playing final fantasy less and go on the net less, you really have to organise your priorities.

Jojee
03-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I've stayed awake for 48 hours. Wasn't tired, but forced myself to go to sleep anyway cos' I was bored. I could have stayed up another 24, probably. That was during summertime though, a few years ago. School screws things up ^_^

Anyway you'll probably be too tired after a while of that. Don't overdo it just to get a "sense of achievement," there are other things to achieve :P

ffrinoa8
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM

hey i've tried that once for three months but not quite the same... stay up for 72 hours and sleep around pretty much a whole day it's hard to regulate yourself to it but after that when you've done that for a while you start to act as i would say "odd"....so if you, want go ahead. :) :tongue:

YunaGirl05
03-03-2005, 12:27 AM

Is that healthy?

Tasura
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
it can never be healthy, but i shouldnt talk, i periodicaly dont sleep for a few days, its not that im trying to stay awake, its just the opposite im trying to go to sleep, but alas i cant, so sometimes i go for days without sleeping, the longest i think ive gone without sleeping is between 4 and 6 days, also during the summer i hardly ever sleep, maybe 21 to 28 hours a week., i know its not healthy, but i cant help it, brain and body dont agree.

rubah
03-03-2005, 01:23 AM
I can't sleep for 24 hours straight though. . . and 50/50 is a lot more sleep than 33/67

GhandiOwnsYou
03-03-2005, 02:22 AM
you're not gonna work right, seriously. The REM sleep thing is what you're missing.

for starters, i don't really see the huge kink in your schedule. you're NOT that bad off. at all. My schedule as it sit right now (on a standard weekday) is i wake up at 8:00, i'm off to school by 8:15 (yes, that's correct. i know it seems bizarre, but i actually can get up, showered, groomed, clothed, packed and out the door ready for the day in under 15 minutes, bed to car) 8:30-2:00 is my standard school day (senior release) and 2-2:45 is make up time, either small homework, figuring finances, or finishing up work in the photolab. by 3:00 i have to be AT my job, where i will stay til 8 on a usual shift, though frequently til 11 or later by picking up extra hours. (no work on Mon and Tues though) I come home and do all the homework i can from 8 til 10, then take a bathroom break (yes, i have to schedule them. it literally doesn't work any other way, but you get used to timing it. it's odd.) I go to the gym, swim a mile, hot tub, sauna for twenty minutes, then go home (aprox. 1 am), where i'll either finish up homework or go to sleep. then i'll get maybe 5 hours of sleep, if i'm lucky, before i get to do it over. and on the weekends, it's the same thing, except minus the homework, and an extra shift at work from 7-3 instead of school. yes, on the weekends i work 13+ hour days.

My point behind all that was, forget the internet and FF. get some freaking sleep, there are those of us that would kill to have your schedule. If you absolutely must take the narcoleptic route, sleep 3-4 hours a night. your body WILL adjust to maintain REM sleep quicker and longer. I'm literally forced (IB program at school, ridiculous HW load and long papers at one time.) to do three day sleepless binges. it doesn't work, you start to get an irregular heartbeat, muscle spasms, and you'll twitch constantly. it's one fo the most uncomfortable things in the world. so get 3-4 hours of REM sleep, or be intelligent and GIVE UP FF for a month, and get a full eight hours... geez, it's a good game, but it's not worth your health over.

super sayin Tidus
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Hmmmm i will make a plan as *ETERNAL FANTASY* suggersted. Then by Tuesday 08-03-2005 i will have successfully completed a week and will post back with how things went. :)

Casey
03-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm also curious to see how you react psychologically. If you're coherent enough after a few days of sleep deprivation, post back here with results!

Yeah! :p

Also take in consideration your diet. Say you eat bad foods with a ton cholestral and then not getting enough sleep over along periods of time, it's really bad for your heart. And like most people said, you need sleep to function well.

GhandiOwnsYou
03-04-2005, 02:05 AM
wow, like i said, that's pretty sad. That you'd actually think of sacrificing a vital bodily function to play video games or surf the net. Your priorities are way out of wack man, and i'd worry about your health if i were you. You're essentially saying that you want to take a big expensive car out on the road, and smash the pedal to the floor and keep it there for 72 hours, without refueling or putting in oil. you're just asking for trouble...

super sayin Tidus
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Oh dear. I think i migh tnail this in the but due to the fact that i ahve had a promotion at work. and that i am falling behind in things i had planned to do. I am now working a 70 hour week at work and am gonna have to get back to sleeping at right times. The up side of this was that to try and get ride of the tierdness my house it sparkling clean and ave master ironing and well my work and course is more important at this point in my life. BNut hey a dun well.

Craig
03-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Man, I salute you I tried to give up food for lent (I didn't plan on lasting the 40 days, just like 2-3) and I ate within 9 hours, I think i'm gonna try some of this stuff. Not the sleep though, I love sleep.

Dreddz
03-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Sleeps important but I dislike it.Feels like im wasting time.I slept for 4 days when I had to go to hospital.Had a sort of black-out.Said sumin like a part of my brain became non-functional and paralized my upper part of my body and effected my heart.Im ok now but I have to visit the hospital every few weeks to check up on me.Missed 2 weeks off school though

FallenAngel411
03-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, I like sleep when I'm actually tired...but yeah, it does feel like, if only we didn't have to sleep, we ould be able to do so much more. It wouldn't feel like I was getting out of school and going back five minutes later (ugh).

Anyways, glad you gave up the experiment....waaaay too unhealthy, believe me. I stayed up once for four days in the summer. I didn't mean to...that was true insomnia. In the end I could barely walk or think straight at all, and I finally collapsed in my driveway. Sleep depravation is baaaaaaad.

Tasura
03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
ive been sick for the last 5 days, so i havent slept, i wasnt trying to stay awake, i just couldnt sleep.

SoulSeek139
03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
REM sleep is good for repetitive actions and motor skills, but deep sleep shouldn't be underestimated. It is during this critical stage your brain waves become slow and powerful, and basically burn out loose neuroconnections and reinforce strong ones. It's kind of like brain defragmenting. You would be a serious mess if all you got was REM sleep.

Onewinged Angel
03-11-2005, 09:50 AM
i once stayed up for like 39 hours. And i must say i looked walked and talked like a zombie. NEVER AGAIN will i miss out on my sleep. :D

sephiroth JR
03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
i tried doing it once a few months back i didnt sleep for 3 days until i passed out in my mates house