PDA

View Full Version : You're A Big Girl's Blouse.

Rainecloud
03-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Attached is a fairly amusing example of what can happen when someone from the States and someone from Britain have a conversation. Of course, this is an obvious wind-up, but sometimes both parties have no idea what the other is talking about, as each have their own special little phrases and terminology that only a select few can actually understand.

So, do you know what a Big Girl's Blouse is? What sort of phrases and terminology do you use that only a few special people can understand?

Nod
03-03-2005, 06:21 PM
A big girl's blouse is someone who is like an item of clothing that a big girl might wear. :D
one might equate it to someone being a wet-lettuce. :)
:roll:

amratis
03-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I've always taken a big girls blouse to mean someone who's a wuss, or a pansy, or generally just scared of stuff? Someone whose very timid.

Theres probably alot of things that I say like that but I cant remember any off hand right now

louby_4eva
03-03-2005, 06:36 PM
There's not much I say that I think Americans wouldn't understand, 'chuffed' don't know if that's british or not. I heard that Americans need a book to understand Eastenders, is that true??

Little Miss Awesome
03-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I say "propa" and "gutted"
I also call people a "big kaboosh" this was a very random insult thrown at a friend of mine, it's stuck as a playful insult within a small group of friends!
Also I say "ahk" as a sign of pure fatigue, explaining it would only bore you all, so I'll spare you the details :tongue:

louby_4eva
03-03-2005, 07:12 PM
i say proper and gutted all the time, somtimes I even put it together and say proper gutted, its mad.

Kirobaito
03-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I say "over yonder." Is that weird?

One day I'm going to write an essay for my Language Class consisting of all-British spellings and phrases. Every word- or, wourd- that has an o(u) in it nouw has tou have a u in it alsou.

Dragon Ash
03-03-2005, 07:43 PM
I use bam alot. I think (don't quote me on this) that only Scottish people would understand what I'm talking about. Most people think I mean the guy from Jackass!

Also when I do something stupid I say crap-cakes. Then everyone thinks I randomly shout out seafood products and hilarity ensues. :D

Old Manus
03-03-2005, 08:16 PM
We Brits are rather sexist.

Little Miss Awesome
03-03-2005, 08:17 PM
I do that too Louby! :D
Also I say "Look at me you filth" because it's on Titanic and it sort of clicked as a catchphrase between me and my friend, we say it to everybody and our friends just say
"We'd prefer not to" :p
Also My cousin's and me say "Thou art a villian" and pretend to spit
(That only makes sense if you've seen Romeo and Juliet! :tongue: )

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Rather cheeky if you ask me! Bloody hell! Cricket! Lift! Biscuits! Colour! THE LOO!

Ouch!
03-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I say oyo as a greeting. I'm one of a few of my friends who actually say it, and the only time they say it is when they're talking to me. I just use it all the time.

louby_4eva
03-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Lift! Biscuits!.....THE LOO!

Isn't that what everyone calls them, or is it just us brits?? I also say muppet a lot.

Tasura
03-03-2005, 08:49 PM
i say craptacular, bloody fudgecicles, lucky charms to a friend, and poke the corpse to another. thats all i can think of at the moment.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Isn't that what everyone calls them, or is it just us brits?? I also say muppet a lot.
Elevator = Lift, Cookies = Biscuits, Bathroom = The Loo.

Then there's French Fries = Chips, Apartment = Flat, Your Mom = Your Mum, and President Bush = AMERICA SUCKS JOLLY GOOD DIE DIE DIE

Jojee
03-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Arse :p I like British dialogue, it's fun. ^_^

Old Manus
03-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm so cool I managed to edit my own post!

I wonder (http://htmlgear.tripod.com/guest/control.guest?u=xdeath23&i=1&a=view) if mods can see stuff like this

boris no no
03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Elevator = Lift, Cookies = Biscuits, Bathroom = The Loo.

Then there's French Fries = Chips, Apartment = Flat, Your Mom = Your Mum, and President Bush = AMERICA SUCKS JOLLY GOOD DIE DIE DIE
yeap thats pretty right! :p
i say
poo
arse
willy :tongue:
bap (as in cob/roll/bread)
i prenounce scone as s-c-O-n not s-c-ooooo-n
dafty
monkies! ;)
marvalous!
i love saying thats a kettle of fish!
or pot calling the kettle black
bleedin heck!

thats all i can think of!
i am silly! :D

Rainecloud
03-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Arse :p I like British dialogue, it's fun. ^_^

Yes. I'm still perturbed by the fact that the people of America still haven't added the word "Arse" to their everyday vocabulary.

Yamaneko
03-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm off to uni!

Meat Puppet
03-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I suppose I've probably got the best of both worlds.

SilverWind
03-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Talking like a brit is fun...I even took a What Country Are You? quiz and I got Britain!
Blast! (Bl-ah-st) Is somthing i say alot. Also, Righto!

Jojee
03-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm off to uni!

That's not British. I say that!! :(

kikimm
03-04-2005, 03:09 AM
Burglefickle.... Burglefickle. Burglefickle. Burglefickle. The only other person who understands me, though, doesn't come on here anymore. :(

EDIT: Oh, yeah...and Cambell's Soup is..very.....very.....good..... :love: :love: :love:

Big D
03-04-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm off to uni!That's not British. I say that!! :(I'll see you at varsity, then. Gotta go up the boohai shooting pukakas with a long-handled shovel, first.

strawberryman
03-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Now this was funny.

What we have here is a failure to communicate!

MoonsEcho
03-04-2005, 06:25 AM
I say "over yonder." Is that weird?

:<3:

My friends and I used to occasionally try on British accents. That was the only time I'd ever use any of those phrases. Ever.

I have begun to spell certain words with a 'u', such as 'favourite', and I'm not entirely sure why. I guess maybe it just looks nicer. O_o;

DMKA
03-04-2005, 06:44 AM
That was funny...I have no idea what "a big girls blouse" means though. xD

People from around here don't know what I'm talking about when I say soda...or curb.

MoonsEcho
03-04-2005, 06:57 AM
They don't know what a curb is? O_O What the hell do they call it?

Rainecloud
03-04-2005, 07:01 AM

It's a sidewalk!

(If I'm thinking of the same thing you are =/)

MoonsEcho
03-04-2005, 07:12 AM
The sidewalk is the part that you would walk on. The curb is the raised edge of concrete...you know, where you would park you vehicle against or sometimes run up on if you cut a corner too closely while driving. Curb check!

Rainecloud
03-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Ah. We here in Manchester refer to the entire pavement as a curb.

Angra Mainyu
03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Summat, Nought

i heard that for the first time while watching Trisha i had teletext on and i couldn't figure it out. when I finally did I couldn't stop laughing.

Ill give ye summat to cry about

i no longer live in the UK (was there for a year) I'm back in Aus now. Everything is great but why oh why did Australia have to be a Pal region?

why? why? why?

Citizen Bleys
03-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Ah. We here in Manchester refer to the entire pavement as a curb.

All bloody clouds and bloody rains
No bloody curbs, no bloody drains
The council's got no bloody brains
In bloody Orkney

Rainecloud
03-04-2005, 05:00 PM
All bloody clouds and bloody rains
No bloody curbs, no bloody drains
The council's got no bloody brains
In bloody Orkney

Thanks for that slice of "poetry".

I get enough of that sort of talk at work, thank you very much. ;)

boris no no
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Summat, Nought

people say nought here all the time! i do occasionally :cool:

DMKA
03-04-2005, 07:06 PM
"That thing where the road touches the pavement."

MoonsEcho
03-04-2005, 07:36 PM
That thing where the road touches the pavement."
:exdee:

Shame that I'll be moving there soon. :(

meowwl
03-04-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't know how, but "bugger it" and "puckernuts" have crept into my vocabulary. My mom and dad were stationed in Oxford during the sixties..she tells me of a bit of confusion with the definitions of the word fanny. Here in the USA, it means one's rear end, caboose, tail, butt. :bow: .Arse in other words. In Britain, it apparently means something exclusively feminine, and a bit more intimate. :cat: So telling someone that she'd been sitting on her fanny all day, and boy was it tired, made the Brits laugh, and the Americans wonder what the Brits were laughing about.

Citizen Bleys
03-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for that slice of "poetry".

I get enough of that sort of talk at work, thank you very much. ;)

I didn't write it, Captain Hamish bloody Blair did.

Rainecloud
03-05-2005, 07:37 AM
I didn't write it, Captain Hamish bloody Blair did.

I didn't say you were the author, I simply thanked you for bringing it to my attention.

*wins*

louby_4eva
03-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Here in the USA, it means one's rear end, caboose, tail, butt. :bow: .Arse in other words. In Britain, it apparently means something exclusively feminine, and a bit more intimate.

Oh, I was watched scary movie 2 (i think) and this guy was saying 'watch my fanny' it really confuddled me, because, well, he's a guy, and now I understand it.

Meat Puppet
03-05-2005, 09:42 AM
She DOES sound like a right swinger!

YukiKiro
03-05-2005, 02:08 PM
me being an american, a big girls blouse rings no bells at all. unlike wanker which i find really fun to use, but anyways, no, i've never heard of someone being called a big girl's blouse before.

boris no no
03-05-2005, 07:46 PM
me being an american, a big girls blouse rings no bells at all. unlike wanker which i find really fun to use, but anyways, no, i've never heard of someone being called a big girl's blouse before.
i heard that in america they don't say wanker and that it dosn't mean anything....
in the UK its pretty rude. which is why i spoiler tagged it.
very rude! :eek:

DMKA
03-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Wanker became of wide use in the USA only in recent years. "Wanking" usually means something that I'm not about to say.

meowwl
03-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Aren't wanker and tosser synonymous? Ya'll brits have a lot of words that mean things that are a lot ruder in the USA. Anyway, I figured out where bugger it got in my head from..blame Terry Pratchett and the Hedgehog Song. :p No, I'm not posting any of it here, look it up yourself. Here's an interesting Bob's your uncle. (http://www.effingpot.com/people.shtml) for definitions of some of the less offensive terms..Roflmao @ hooters=Bristols. :exdee: :exdee:

By the way, Do british people still knock people up of a morning?..Try that here and you're likely to get slapped if it isn't appreciated! ;)I'm not a morning person, and I wouldn't want to get knocked up either way!:p

Please don't double-post, use the 'edit/delete' button if you want to add something ~ Big D

boris no no
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Aren't wanker and tosser synonymous? Ya'll brits have a lot of words that mean things that are a lot ruder in the USA. Anyway, I figured out where bugger it got in my head from..blame Terry Pratchett and the Hedgehog Song. :p
god bless terrt pratchett! :love:
i think that the british make things ruder because we've got nothing better to do in our day!theres nothing better then to have a sexual inuendo day with your friends! (i have actually done this! :cool: )

theundeadhero
03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Darning socks?

Darn you, socks! Always keeping my feet so warm and dry. Darn you!

soulICE
03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
use bam alot. I think (don't quote me on this) that only Scottish people would understand what I'm talking about. Most people think I mean the guy from Jackass!

its sad.. i think of emeril lagasse when someone says BAM! you know, the chef who yells BAM! as he's tossin salt on somethin.

id be so screwed if i ended up in britain.. NO CLUE what you guys are talkin about. but i suppose its the same in reverse too. i cant even think of anything i say that would be strange to others.

who says "blinkers" or "directionals" when referring to your car's turn signals? lol.. thats all i can think up.

Big D
03-07-2005, 07:39 PM
By the way, Do british people still knock people up of a morning?..Try that here and you're likely to get slapped if it isn't appreciated! ;) I'm not a morning person, and I wouldn't want to get knocked up either way! :p I don't know where you get your 'English slang', but these days if you talk about "knocking someone up", it means either having sex with them, or getting them pregnant.:p who says "blinkers" or "directionals" when referring to your car's turn signals? lol.. thats all i can think up.Indicators?

meowwl
03-10-2005, 02:54 PM
When my mom was in England during the late sixties, her neighbor's teenage son offered to "Knock her up" in the mornings..He meant knocking on the door or window of her cottage to wake her...Apparently that's all it meant at that time!

Resha
03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Lol, I can use British terminology EXCEPT for 'chips'. Chips, dammit...are French Fries. And crisps, dammit...are chips. :p LOL. I can never ever do crisps. And why do people like saying "manky"?!?! I said it once, and then this boy came up to me and said: "WOW! You're the first person I've seen in Malaysia who uses the word manky! That's so cool! Manky manky manky manky!".

Is it spelt 'manky', lol?!

louby_4eva
03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
And why do people like saying "manky"?!?! I said it once, and then this boy came up to me and said: "WOW! You're the first person I've seen in Malaysia who uses the word manky! That's so cool! Manky manky manky manky!".

I used to say manky all the time, then it changed to mank and now I say skank, it will probably change in the future, and I say it because it's a cool word.

EDIT: I say proper chuffed all the time, I've said it like 30 times today, besause AS results came out.

Sasquatch
04-22-2005, 06:03 AM
I live in Wisconsin (Northern U.S.), but I moved up here from Georgia (Southern U.S.). I was born in Illinois (Northern U.S.) and spent a year of my childhood in Alabama (Southern U.S.), plus a year in Iraq (Asscrack of the world). So being from here and there and all over, plus the military aspect, gives me a rather wide vocabulary.

Everybody here makes fun of me for the way I talk...I say things like "over/out yonder", as mentioned before, but also, I say "coke" to categorize nearly all carbonated soft drinks, I say "might could/should", and "hold up" to mean wait a minute, and "right quick" to mean fast. As in, "Hold up, I'm gonna go run grab a coke right quick."

Plus, I have a slight Southern accent still (Thank the Lord for that, it's much better'n having a yankee accent), so it confuses people.

EDIT: Hehehe. DMKA posted right after me, and his post was edited. Wonder what that was about ;) . Wish I could have at least seen it first.

DMKA
04-22-2005, 06:08 AM
<!--
Plus, I have a slight Southern accent still (Thank the Lord for that, it's much better'n having a yankee accent), so it confuses people.
Was that really necessary? To try to insult people and say you're somehow better? God.

Plus this thread has been dead for well over a month. :p-->*snip*

That wasn't necessary. ~ Leeza

Lenna
04-22-2005, 06:52 AM
I use bam alot. I think (don't quote me on this) that only Scottish people would understand what I'm talking about.

Erm, I'm Scottish, and I don't have a clue what it means lol. I use gutted alot, and I've developed using the word Innit...I speak to too many English people.

DaremihC
04-22-2005, 07:02 AM
I say 'sorry', 'about', and 'mum' like a Canadian... (I'm from California)

I also occasionally use words like 'buscuit', 'lift', and 'torch' to describe their respective american words (in this case, 'cookie', 'elevator', and 'flashlight').

I also say 'over yonder', 'bugger', 'vehicle' (when describing any automobile... I don't say 'car'), 'blast' (pronounced 'blahst'), 'grand', and even 'oy' when exasperated... 'crudmuffins', 'bullpuckey', and 'balderdash' are used also.

WildRaubtier
04-22-2005, 07:15 AM
bugger
n (plural buggers)
[b]1. a taboo term for somebody who practises anal intercourse (taboo)
2. an offensive term for a person or thing regarded as unpleasant, difficult, or contemptible (slang)
3. person of a particular type: used to refer to somebody with a particular characteristic or in a particular situation (slang) (often considered offensive)
The jammy bugger won the prize.

v (3rd person present singular buggers, present participle buggering, past buggered, past participle buggered)
1. vti a taboo term meaning to practise anal intercourse (taboo)
2. vt an offensive term meaning to damage, ruin, or spoil something (slang)
3. vt an offensive term meaning to make somebody thoroughly exhausted (slang)
4. vt an offensive term used as a swearword to express annoyance or frustration (slang) (can be used in the passive, especially to express an absolute refusal)

interj
an offensive term used as swearword to express annoyance or frustration (slang)

[Mid-16th century. Via French bougre ‘heretic’ from Latin Bulgarus , literally ‘Bulgarian’, from Western Christian association of heresy with anal intercourse.]
Microsoft® Encarta® Premium Suite 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

A man goes swimming at a fairly popular beach. He's out fairly deep when BAM! A shark bites one of his legs off. He manages to stay calm, and remembers to wave his arm in the air to attract the attention of the Life Saver. The life saver sees him, and being friendly, waves back. BAM! The shark takes another leg. The swimer starts waving faster, and again, the life saver simply waves back. BAM! The shark takes an arm. The swimmer is now waving like a madman, and, getting slightly annoyed, the life saver waves back again. BAM! The shark takes the swimmer's last limb, and only now does the life saver realise what is happening. He quickly swims out, throws the swimmer on his back, and makes it back to the shore.

"Whew, I'm buggered!" Says the life saver.

"Yeah, sorry about that. It was the only way I could hold on."

Jojee
04-22-2005, 07:18 AM
Sick, Seeby, sick! ;) You've been a bad two year old.

theundeadhero
04-22-2005, 08:51 AM
I still don't know what it means to darn socks. :(

Dragon Ash
04-22-2005, 08:18 PM
I use bam alot. I think (don't quote me on this) that only Scottish people would understand what I'm talking about.

Erm, I'm Scottish, and I don't have a clue what it means lol. I use gutted alot, and I've developed using the word Innit...I speak to too many English people.

Hmm... Maybe it's just an Aberdeen thing? It's the same as ned or chav.

Croyles
04-22-2005, 09:19 PM
you guys really dont know what a big girls blouse is????
isnt it kind of self-explanatory?????

Rye
04-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I still do NOT know what a "big girl's blouse" is. Please, tell me what it means? :(

EDIT: BTW, I don't think I use any terminology that a foreigner that speaks fluent English wouldn't understand. I don't say "LOLZ R LIEK 2 CHILL @ MY PHAT CRIB, YO" and that's the only terminology that I can think of.

Croyles
04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
a big girls blouse is a weak timid man, a wuss.
a very stereotypical insult but oh well.
i dont deal with simple minded stereotyping, mines a bit more complex xD