PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime

dufflebag
03-03-2005, 06:38 PM
is it a good game? what are its pros and cons?can it be multiplayer?what do you rate it?and should i buy it?

Doomgaze
03-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Yes it's good, only the second one is multiplayer, and yeah, the first one should be pretty cheap, go ahead and buy it.

Rainecloud
03-03-2005, 09:56 PM
It bored me to death, quite frankly.

It also made me feel sick with it's jerky movements.

edczxcvbnm
03-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Best game ever!

Xalioniaf
03-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Best game ever!
Hmm...it's a good game. Not Best Game Ever material, but a good game. The multiplayer is not worth it, as it sucks royally. Although I lvoe playign camera man(four people, two teams, one person following his teamate like a 3rd person camera). Graphics are astounding for the gamecube, and the story in both games is worth playing through at least once. I don't recomend playing the 2nd one first, as it's so much harder than the first.
I don't consider this game a 1st-person shooter. I consider it a 1st person adventure. People rate it as something it's not.

Lord Chainsaw
03-04-2005, 04:27 AM
I didn't like it. The controls didn't work for me. I've got to put it in competition with Resident Evil for the worst controls on the Gamecube.

Metroid just doesn't work in First Person mode for me. I didn't find myself having fun when I played the game. I dragged myself through the entire game without enjoying it, simply because I respect Metroid and Super Metroid so much.

This is not to say you shouldn't pick it up though. You should. The game appeals very much so to many gamers. Let's just say that I have very strange tastes.

SeeDRankLou
03-04-2005, 04:45 AM
I thought it was a great game, and for it's price nowadays I would definately say get it.

edczxcvbnm
03-04-2005, 06:30 AM
Hmm...it's a good game. Not Best Game Ever material, but a good game. The multiplayer is not worth it, as it sucks royally. Although I lvoe playign camera man(four people, two teams, one person following his teamate like a 3rd person camera). Graphics are astounding for the gamecube, and the story in both games is worth playing through at least once. I don't recomend playing the 2nd one first, as it's so much harder than the first.
I don't consider this game a 1st-person shooter. I consider it a 1st person adventure. People rate it as something it's not.

There was no multiplayer in Metroid Prime. Only in Prime 2.

They were both piss easy on all levels. I didn't use the hint system and still beat the games realtivly quickly and got over 90% item completion without trying. I was hoping for a challege since everyone said Prime 2 was SOOOOOO much harder. I guess everyone else just sucks at playing games.

Mittopotahis
03-04-2005, 06:49 AM
I love it... One of the best games ever...and 2 is better!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2005, 06:53 AM
I definitely suck at the Prime games. I'm not a fan of first-person shooting at all; I never would have bought Prime or Echoes if they hadn't been Metroid games. To this day, I haven't been able to beat the final boss of Prime on Hard Mode, and I still haven't completed Echoes on any mode--from lack of interest, though, rather than being stuck on something. I still think they're generally fun games, though, and they certainly do justice to the franchise in terms of music, cinematics, and atmosphere.

Xalioniaf
03-04-2005, 01:38 PM
There was no multiplayer in Metroid Prime. Only in Prime 2.
I never really specify, since I consider it genreal knowledge.

Lionx
03-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I wouldnt say its the best, but i wouldnt say its the worst ever...i have thought about a FPS Metriod before way back in the years but i never really thought it be like this. Lets just say i dont get that traditional metroid feel...i dont konw like freezing something with an Ice Beam and then Space Jumping ontop of it, then freezing the enemy ontop of that and SpaceJumping higher. The game is more just powering yourself up than exploring i guess...Metroid Fusion i feel is way better than this and i would sugguest that game over this one. I also dont like the clunky controls...the targeting system is kinda crappy and it doesnt really score high on a FPS rating scale IMO either....so i feel its decent and prolly worth a few plays...but it just doesnt capture...the Metroid feel if you know what i mean...and it also doesnt capture the FPS feel as well...sorta in between...but lacking. But dont let me stop you from buying the game, its definetly not bad.

Lindy
03-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Stop saying it's an FPS, it isn't an FPS, it's the same as other Metroid games just happens to be displayed from a first person perspective.

FPS denotes First Person Shooter, where shooting is the main focus of the game, which it isn't in Metroid. FPS games usually have the ability to move while changing both X and Y axis, this isn't the case in Metroid, since you have a lock-on option, or a manual aim which means you can't move.

And personally, I think Metroid has an EXCELLENT control system, which works perfectly for what its intended to do, and I find it very very easy to use and control.

Now Metroid Hunters, that's an FPS game due to the way you control it, but Prime isn't.

I personally love both of the Prime games, as I do with every other Metroid, and people may whine and complain about the way it's moved into 3d, but it's called change and progression, and that happens like it or not. Though personally, it is something I like very much, since if I want 2d, I can just go back and play Super Metroid and Fusion and whatnot, it's not like they totally removed the option of EVER playing a 2d Metroid game ever again.

And for the record, I feel it captures the Metroid feel a LOT more than Fusion, since you're left on a planet all alone, with only your natural instinct to explore to keep you going, in Fusion you were sheparded around by Adam constantly, with relatively little freedom in terms of back-tracking for upgrades and so on.
How can you say that Prime is more about powering yourself up than Fusion? When all you're ordered to do is go after the X that have your equipment? All Fusion plays as is just going around the space station, being told exactly where to go, and exactly what to expect.

Lionx
03-04-2005, 04:19 PM
It is a first person shooter, else it wouldnt see the arm and the cannon. Although it is not as intensive or has the same purpose as some other FPS, it can definetly be compared to one on some degree. After all whats the difference in shooting with a cannon besides shooting with a pistol? Theres a story behind both games, although they are just different stories. So how it isnt a first person shooter is beyond me, it at the very least has to be a FPS to some degree. Why would we compare it to one otherwise? All Metroids besides the GameCube ones are Exploration Platformers. This one isnt really a platformer.

The X and Y Axis does not determine if its a FPS or not. Do we denote that Goldeneye is not a FPS because we dont not use the X and Y Axis system and instead the control stick? Do we say that FFX is not an FF because it doesnt use an ATB like a majority of other FFs?

I wont say too much on controls because its a personal thing. I didnt quite like it because i felt it was clunky and hindered my movements in my opnion. But for you it might be just what you need. It just so happens that i dont feel it is what i personally like and i find that to be generally true that its a love it or hate it factor when people talk about Prime's control schemes.

Also i like progression, but just like Xenosaga II and Xenosaga I there are some changes that people like and dislike. Should we always love whats new out there? Personally i think no. Yes it happens, but we dont always have to like it and we do have a right to say "We do not like *insert game here* because of *insert "problem" here*" (problem in quotes because you might like it, but i dont). Some of us welcome the new 3-D Samus the way it is, some like it 3-D but not in a FPS-ish style, and some of us just want more 2-D and not the same old game they played since 1995. Are they wrong for wanting more of the same? I hope not.

I think the main reason why i feel Prime was more of a power-up mission than an exploration is that whenever you are done with your "objective" theres always something that pops up in your radar and that place is usually another upgrade to your weapon systems. I personally had to wander around for the Artifacts which arent shown on the radar or guarded by bosses. Which made me feel it was more of a treasure hunt than exploration. The radar is the same as when you compare to Fusion's Navigation room IMO. Whats your point?

The fights are marvelous though in Prime, it is never as intense as those in other Metroid games and i like that.

Whereas in Fusion yes it doesnt feel as Metroid as say Metroid 3, but Fusion to me felt more storyline driven and that was big plus to me. You are left alone on a ship, filled with parasites that are a threat to every living thing out there, and there you are only with a gun. Granted you also had the HQ there but it feels more in-touch with Samus than Prime. I can know more about Samus and how she feels, whereas in Prime all i see is just a cannon. I dont feel in touch with Samus at all in Prime. Prime does not give Samus character, Fusion however does and its a plus to me.

I dont know about you, but the SA-X was a big surprise to me and certainetly gives you that fear factor when you do see it.

I personally think a Prime with Fusion story would be pretty great. But thats just me.

Bottom line: Its my opinion, we all have one.

EDIT: Minor changes on post.

Lindy
03-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Metroid games have never had an obvious, highly explained storyline, so how can a storyline make it feel more Metroid?

I think that the Scan system in Prime is a far better way of explaining things than in Fusion, because you don't HAVE to scan in Prime, in Fusion the story is forced down your throat and many a time I just wanted Adam to shut the hell up and let me do what I wanted and explore.

Lionx
03-04-2005, 04:35 PM
I said it doesnt feel as Metroid-ish as Metroid 3 as where you actually had no clue where to go and stuff. However i like Fusion over Prime because it felt more storydriven. Not that it makes it more Metroid-ish itself. But it was something that i am very attracted to in Fusion that i would like to see. I mean most of the time all we know is Samus in a spacesuit with a ultra sexy gun. But with Fusion we can find out who Samus as a person really is, and that is one thing i like about it is all.

Its also more Metroid-ish where its a Explorer Platformer. I mean where are those death defying leaps in Prime? Wheres that coolness of wall jumping up a long corridor or using a speed booster and plowing through a pile of bricks and straight into a missle canister? Where are those platforms that you hop around so much trying to avoid the boss's special attack? Prime is an open field most of the time...kinda..meh. And where is that sexy SCREW ATTACK? God i miss flying into enemies (yes with SpaceJump...not a wimpy 2x Jump) and using your body as a weapon. Even Smash Bros you can do that, but Prime doesnt have it =/ I just personally think it didnt make it as a Metroid game but you might.

Adam might have been annoying but interaction is a key to character development which Fusion had some. Without the scan in Prime, i get lost...and bored...blehhhhh...or as Omecle says neeaaawww... XD

EDIT: Hey its fine if you like Prime, i just didnt think it lived up to the Metroid standard, but you might have. I can see how some people might like it, but i just didnt like it as much as i would have liked is all. Again to the original poster, do not let me stop you from buying this game, its not that bad and i think at least one run through of this game is needed.

EDIT2: I think Fusion is more mission oriented than Prime with Adam in it. The feeling of doing something for greater good or the feeling of "Mission Complete" is not as apparent nor as pressed in Prime...my opinion though.

Full Moon Coyote
03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I thought Metroid Prime was an incredible game. I'm playing through it again on Hard mode, and its just too tough for me. The Phazon Mine is a damn murder zone, I can't remember how many times I died on Normal my first time through. I haven't played 2 yet, but its on my most wanted list currently. All in all, awesome game + cheap price= Good

dufflebag
03-05-2005, 05:28 PM
thanks evrebody it sounds good i think i'll get it.

dufflebag
03-26-2005, 01:18 PM
sorry for 2 posts

i bought metroid prime and it's a good game but i think it has more of a zelda feal than a normal fps kind of like a rpg/fps.

Sepho
03-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Just so you know, you can use the edit button to add to your first post instead of making a new one. I'll get a 'Knight to merge the two for you.

As far as the Prime games go, I like 'em. I own both of them and I've completed the first a couple of times. I haven't finished Echoes yet, but I suspect I'll be spending much of spring break playing it in order to do so. At first, like many gamers, the first person perspective put me off, because Super Metroid is quite possibly my favorite game of all time and I wanted yet another game reminiscent of that. I still favor the 2D gameplay of the earlier titles, but I feel that Prime has captured the Metroid atmosphere and sense of exploration as well as any of the series' prequels.

The games are much more fun to play once the gamer accepts that it's not a first person shooter in the same sense as, say, Unreal. Like Lindy said, it's definitely an Adventure game first, which just happens to have a first person point of view. If a Quake or DOOM fan picks up Prime and expects to do some serious fragging, then of course they're not going to like it. I think the controls are great - The absence of the simultaneous running + Z axis isn't a big deal, because present is the Zelda-esque lock on feature, which eliminates any need to manually aim. There's nothing wrong with that, because the emphasis isn't on shooting. Rather, it's on adventure and exploration, like it always has been.

Xalioniaf
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Stop saying it's an FPS, it isn't an FPS, it's the same as other Metroid games just happens to be displayed from a first person perspective.

FPS denotes First Person Shooter, where shooting is the main focus of the game, which it isn't in Metroid. FPS games usually have the ability to move while changing both X and Y axis, this isn't the case in Metroid, since you have a lock-on option, or a manual aim which means you can't move.

And personally, I think Metroid has an EXCELLENT control system, which works perfectly for what its intended to do, and I find it very very easy to use and control.

Now Metroid Hunters, that's an FPS game due to the way you control it, but Prime isn't.

I personally love both of the Prime games, as I do with every other Metroid, and people may whine and complain about the way it's moved into 3d, but it's called change and progression, and that happens like it or not. Though personally, it is something I like very much, since if I want 2d, I can just go back and play Super Metroid and Fusion and whatnot, it's not like they totally removed the option of EVER playing a 2d Metroid game ever again.

And for the record, I feel it captures the Metroid feel a LOT more than Fusion, since you're left on a planet all alone, with only your natural instinct to explore to keep you going, in Fusion you were sheparded around by Adam constantly, with relatively little freedom in terms of back-tracking for upgrades and so on.
How can you say that Prime is more about powering yourself up than Fusion? When all you're ordered to do is go after the X that have your equipment? All Fusion plays as is just going around the space station, being told exactly where to go, and exactly what to expect.

*ahem*

Del Murder
03-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Just so you know, you can use the edit button to add to your first post instead of making a new one. I'll get a 'Knight to merge the two for you.

When the posts come a few days apart and still contribute to the topic it is considered ok. Thanks for the warn, though. :D

Sepho
03-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Holy crizap, I hadn't even noticed the posting dates (I was late to the topic). I'll be sure to visit church tomorrow so as to repent.

My apologies, dufflebag.

dufflebag
03-27-2005, 01:33 AM
When the posts come a few days apart and still contribute to the topic it is considered ok. Thanks for the warn, though. i did not know about that thanks.
Holy crizap, I hadn't even noticed the posting dates (I was late to the topic). I'll be sure to visit church tomorrow so as to repent.

My apologies, dufflebag.no prob

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2005, 08:31 PM
So a couple weeks ago I went back and finally finished up Echoes. I was pretty surprised by how much more fun it was than before. The bosses were awesome, the Spider Ball was awesome, the Screw Attack was awesome, Dark Samus was awesome, and like with prettymuch all Metroid games, the last few parts of the game were so great that I was compelled to start from my last save and fight the last bosses and watch the ending over and over. I knew beforehand that there was a timed escape, but I never expected them to use the escape music from the original Metroid. So, that was a rush, and fighting the last boss to that music was even better. I beat her with 35 seconds left my first time.

So, having beaten Echoes and really fallen in love with it, I went back and played Prime again from beginning to end. It seemed a lot easier just because it's so basic compared to Echoes, but at the same time I could appreciate everything better, too. I used to be freaked out by all those space pirates swarming around in the dark in that lab in Phendrana, going invisible with the freaky space pirate music and all, but this time I just laughed, especially once I realized that each one goes down with just a charged Wave Beam shot, which keeps them stunned, and a missile. Suckers. Even the last boss, which I remembered being really rough, was a simple affair; I only lost a couple energy tanks, and even that was because I knew I wasn't going to die and took it easy.

Then I went back and played through Echoes again. Wonderful. I'm not so sure about going for Hard mode, since the whole Hard mode concept has just never seemed too fun to me, but I could probably handle it and hey why not give it a shot. I love the Prime games now.

Sephex
04-27-2005, 08:35 PM
*post*

I wish I had that much time!

Lindy
04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Hard Mode on both games gets you the final artwork gallery, you know it's worth going for.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah, that's how I know I'll have to go through with it eventually.
I wish I had that much time!Well, the thing about getting better at the games is that you can get through them that much more quickly.

Sephex
04-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah, that's how I know I'll have to go through with it eventually.
I wish I had that much time!Well, the thing about getting better at the games is that you can get through them that much more quickly.

True, but I don't have that much time these days to do something like that. I was just bitching about it for the sake of it. I can't wait for summer when I will have more free time to do those type of things.

Laguna
04-27-2005, 10:18 PM
To be honest I didnt like this game. When I first saw it I sort of constructed it as a FPS in my head. However, it isnt really so much of a first person shooter but a classic metroid game from a first person perspective. Its more about exploring and puzzles than most FPS (I mean normally its just a case of get key, open door, jump over crate etc, metroid goes much further!). Dont get me wrong, the boss battles are epic- but Im not all that great at metroid games, which is why I was disappointed. Still, I accept the fact that it is an excellent game and it clearly appeals to lots of people ( I may suck at the single player but I love the multiplayer in Echoes!). Oh yeah, apparently you should play #1 before Echoes ^^

And thats what I have to say on the matter.

Lindy
04-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh yeah, apparently you should play #1 before Echoes ^^
Because, unsuprisingly, Echoes is the sequel, hence the whole Metroid Prime 2 thing.

Devourment
04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
In my honest opinion, this game is the best game you'll get on the GameCube, perhaps just under Soul Calibur II, Metroid Prime2: Echoes, & Resi 4. Metroid Prime is a great game, though it does get boring after you've already completed it once. Its hard mode is not really that much harder at all, well that's what I've found anyway. The gallery images that you get form completeing it are very good, & quite enjoyable. I've still to buy MP2, but I will soon. I hope the second is just as equally brilliant as the first one. :p

Excelsior
04-30-2005, 07:07 AM
good god, i played this game sooooo much it was ridicoulous. it got to the point where i could beat the last boss on hard mode without losing one energy tank. i think you could tell from that that i loved it. i loved 2 as well, but 2 was so...hard. and i didnt really like fusion, not only for the fact that i can beat it in about an hour, but also, i thought samus' personality just flat out sucks. i used to think that she was kinda like the badass shadowy bounty hunter, boba fett style, but with a little bit more feeling. but actually, shes just your typical heroine type character. after playing fusion, i started to appreciate the silence of samus in the other games.

Laguna
05-01-2005, 12:18 AM
What I meant about playing #1 before echoes was that most players I've spoken to said they found echoes easier after playing metroid prime. A lot of people who try and play echoes straight off can find it hard- I know its a sequal.

Apollo
05-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Okay first of all, everyone who is was argueing about it being a FPS, it's not. It has been stated that Metroid Prime is a First Person Adventure. The game is very good in my opinion. But not the best in the series. I liked Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, and MP2E more. The controls are pretty easy to use, it takes a bit to get used to for some people though. Personally, Metroid is my favorite game series to be honest. I love all the games. The only thing that I think needs to be improved is Samus' character developement. Which Nintendo seems to be fixing. :)