PDA

View Full Version : Anima?

Palindrome
03-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Why is a giant chained up fish named after a psychological term referring to the masculine aspect of personalities of females?

alexholker
03-05-2005, 03:39 AM
In latin, 'anima' means soul, wind or life. In the game, Anima is the dark Aeon, whose form is more like a big, corporeal banshee or other malevolent spirit than a fish, in my opinion.

YukiKiro
03-05-2005, 03:57 AM
also the fayth for anima is female, so that may also be a reason

rubah
03-05-2005, 05:06 AM
That or it sounds really cool.

and it's forever got the connotation of *PAIN* in my head.

*twitches*

For a fish mummy though, she's awful good looking. but her overdrive reminds me of an 80's movie's bad special effects:D

Necronopticous
03-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Anima is an aeon created from Seymour's mother by her own will to empower her son, not knowing he'll misuse the power. The name and image of Anima is very suitable because it represents the way Seymour sees and treats the human female part of his life, his mother.

Plus, "Anima" is too cool of a name to go unused at least once in every RPG.

Xalioniaf
03-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Anima is an aeon created from Seymour's mother by her own will to empower her son, not knowing he'll misuse the power. The name and image of Anima is very suitable because it represents the way Seymour sees and treats the human female part of his life, his mother.

Plus, "Anima" is too cool of a name to go unused at least once in every RPG.

Shouldn't that have been in spoiler tags?

Anyway, to answer your question...I don't know :P.

Queen Anthai
03-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Why is a giant chained up fish named after a psychological term referring to the masculine aspect of personalities of females?

Actually - and I think I've got this right - Anima is the feminine aspect of males and Animus is the masculine aspect of females.

Shameless plug: there was a GREAT comic book back in the early/mid-Nineties that dealt with this called ANIMA. Dig around the back issue bins at your local comic shop for it. Cheap and a hell of a good read.

Chopseuy
03-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Which is why Seymour always summons him.

FFVIII Fan
03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
In latin, 'anima' means soul, wind or life. In the game, Anima is the dark Aeon, whose form is more like a big, corporeal banshee or other malevolent spirit than a fish, in my opinion.

well said.

SeeDRankLou
03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
If you look up "anima" on dictionary.com it gives one of its definitions as this:

"3. In Jungian psychology, the feminine inner personality as present in the unconscious of the male."

So whatever Jungian psychology is, I guess that would be what Queen Anthai is referring to.

Pouring Rain
03-25-2005, 02:43 AM
? you lost me with all of this science. my brains hurts.

Fireblade13
03-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Anima I nicknamed her death I didn't know that it meant something

Cuchulainn
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Seymour always Summoned her because she was his Mother. I believe the Fish looks owe more to the way Anima is chained up than to her Genuine appearance (which you see in her Overdrive).

rubah
03-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Or it could be because she has fish lips and gils.

Just a hunch.

(plus she's on a hook)

Queen Anthai
03-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Or maybe it's because she was called by a Salmoner... :D

*dodges flying rotten produce*