PDA

View Full Version : WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ???!!!

Itsunari 2000
03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Here's something I've been pondering ...

Has anyone made up their mind about Quina's gender ? I noticed that throughout the game " it " ( I've not made up my mind either ! ) is constantly referred to as " s/he" which is really annoying to have to explain to people when I'm discussing FF9. Some people might argue male , some would say definitely female - but keeping in mind , " it's " only sub-human , there's really no way of knowing.

What do you think ?

Camanche
03-06-2005, 03:14 AM
In nature, have you ever heard of those frogs that are essentially both? They take on the role of whatever gender is needed for the survival of their species. I see Quina as a creature like that. They don't have a specific gender really, but they can take on the role of a gender when necessary. (Reproductively I mean.)

Qu's live in swamps generally, so I assume they evolved from a lifeform that lived there prehistorically. So, I guess you could say I see Qu's as a highly evolved tribe of amphibians, who are neither, yet both sexes. (Hence the 'he/she' but also the 'it' that is used to refer to Quina. If Quina had no gender, the words 'he/she' would not be used, they would just use 'it'. That's why I figure, somehow, Qu's are both, yet neither.)

(Mind you, this entire theory could be debunked if the translation in the English version changed what Quina was originally refered to as in Japanese.)

It's kind of hard for me to explain. The best thing I can think of is those frogs from real life that have no defined gender role until it becomes necessary. (Like when it is mating season... or whatever.)

FallenAngel411
03-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Ah....good question....nice, long explanation already offered...but here's my two cents: it's just a game, it has no basis in reality, Quina is there for pure comic relief, so don't take it too seriously. When talking about Quina, sometimes I use "he", sometimes "she"....whatever feels like slipping out. Whatever....hell of a funny little dude :p

Azotar
03-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Indeed, Quina is there as a comedy. and u can call it whatever u want.
but In the game they said Him a cpouple of times, so i guess u could call it a him. But Quina is more likely a woman. She talks like a woman, she is dressed as a woman etc...

eden knight
03-06-2005, 01:21 PM
I think she is a woman,i mean since vivi is a guy and they "got married" to Conde Petie..There couldn't be a gay marriage right?

Azotar
03-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I think she is a woman,i mean since vivi is a guy and they "got married" to Conde Petie..There couldn't be a gay marriage right?
lol . So u also think that, but isnt it that she looks like a woman.
Hey but they give u an option to marry or not. so that couldnt be something.

boris no no
03-06-2005, 05:42 PM
i think quinas a she.
noone wears pink that well! :cool:

Ultimate99997
03-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I also think that quina is a she, as far as I know quina is the only one of her tribe that is wearing a pink apron, her master wears something slightly different and comes across very much as a male.
One other question would be - what gender are those little cooks that you come across in the kitchens when controlling Steiner. When I ventured round I spotted another character identical to Quina, the smaller cooks with big hats were running around preperring meals.
A theory could be that these smaller cooks would be the male versions from an alternate tribe to Quina.

Camanche
03-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I kinda figured those little guys didn't have a defined gender either. Yeah, I'd have to agree that, of course, Quina is just there for comedy, as are the little kitchens guys. I guess I'm just trying to find an explanation for the lack of gender in Quina's species.

Does anyone know what Quina is refered to in the Japanese game? Like, is there some special character that is used when specifically refering to Quina, that does not denote Quina as either a he or a she?

Itsunari 2000
03-06-2005, 11:31 PM
The dress and everything suggest " it's " a female ,yes , but then why the " Him " references ?

UltimaLimit
03-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Somebody kick Quina in the crotch. If Quina's a guy, there will be an appropriate reaction. (Namely enormous pain on Quina's part followed sometime later by an oversized fork in your gut.)

Or you could just ask Quina, I guess.

Mirage
03-07-2005, 08:17 AM
I am going with the dual gender theory. That way it wouldn't really be homosexuality when it and Vivi got "married" either.

Cuchulainn
03-07-2005, 11:51 AM
They have a gender, after all Vivi's 'Grandfather' was of the same Clan

Zante
03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know if Zidanes 'Protect Girls' works with Quina?

Rykashi
03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if Zidanes 'Protect Girls' works with Quina?

You know, I suppose that's a great way to figure it out! In the mean time, I'm going with the theory that Quina's a girl, just by how there are at least three girls in every final fantasy I've ever played, and so I guess it would make it Garnet, Eiko and Quina by default.

Ichimonji
03-07-2005, 04:08 PM
No, the three girls in FFIX would be: Eiko, Dagger, and Freya.

m4tt
03-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Somebody kick Quina in the crotch. If Quina's a guy, there will be an appropriate reaction. (Namely enormous pain on Quina's part followed sometime later by an oversized fork in your gut.)

Or you could just ask Quina, I guess.Uhh, getting kicked in the crotch still hurts if you are a girl. :p

Rykashi
03-07-2005, 05:27 PM
No, the three girls in FFIX would be: Eiko, Dagger, and Freya.

Oh, yea, sorry I forgot Freya...there goes that theory...

SeeDRankLou
03-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Oh why not? Maybe Conde Petie is a progressive nation, kind of like the Canada of Gaia. :D Besides, it would add all the more humor to that scene if it were a gay marriage and Vivi didn't even know it.

just by how there are at least three girls in every final fantasy I've ever played
Beatrix is playable for a while.

UltimaLimit
03-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Uhh, getting kicked in the crotch still hurts if you are a girl.I assumed. But kick a girl in the crotch, then kick a guy in the crotch, and compare the severity of their reactions. If Quina's a girl, it'll hurt her some. If Quina's a guy, it'll hurt him a lot more. Either way, you'll have a fork coming for your entrails, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to hit and run.

udsuna
03-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Besides, it would add all the more humor to that scene if it were a gay marriage and Vivi didn't even know it.

I feel compelled to point out that Vivi is a stuffed toy. Which blows your theory of gay marriage out of the water. Although you have to be pretty unusual to have interspecies marriages (and we KNOW Quina isn't human), so I doubt homosexual marriages are THAT big a problem.

Also, I ended up getting Zidane and Garnet/Dagger hitched... did I do something wrong, or something right?

And, I've checked, as far as I can tell, Zidane's protect skill will not aid Quina... poor Quina. You should also note that A: some amphibians can change from male to female genders, and B: Quina is an "imature" member of the species, possibly prepubescent.

Halan
03-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Uhh, getting kicked in the crotch still hurts if you are a girl. :p

True that. Just because girls don't have anything down there doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt. I haven't been kicked in the crotch before, but I fell on a bar in a jungle gym when I was 6 and I couldn't sit down for a week.

As for Quina, I hated it, and I always refered to it as an it. Aaaand I thought it was funny that Vivi had to get married to Quina, since no one was sure if it was a he or she. I'd go with neither.

Pouring Rain
03-12-2005, 12:03 AM
In nature, have you ever heard of those frogs that are essentially both? They take on the role of whatever gender is needed for the survival of their species. I see Quina as a creature like that. They don't have a specific gender really, but they can take on the role of a gender when necessary. (Reproductively I mean.)

Qu's live in swamps generally, so I assume they evolved from a lifeform that lived there prehistorically. So, I guess you could say I see Qu's as a highly evolved tribe of amphibians, who are neither, yet both sexes. (Hence the 'he/she' but also the 'it' that is used to refer to Quina. If Quina had no gender, the words 'he/she' would not be used, they would just use 'it'. That's why I figure, somehow, Qu's are both, yet neither.)

(Mind you, this entire theory could be debunked if the translation in the English version changed what Quina was originally refered to as in Japanese.)

It's kind of hard for me to explain. The best thing I can think of is those frogs from real life that have no defined gender role until it becomes necessary. (Like when it is mating season... or whatever.)
i got to agree. i call it exactly what it is, an it

Quina
03-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Quina is the evolution of man. In today's society the roles of the sexes are being gradually reduced and combined. Soon physical traits will follow that pattern, until we are unable to discern any difference between male and female. And there will only be one.

udsuna
03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Interesting theory... but if my species grows a four-foot-long tongue and starts eating everything that moves... I wanna get a new species.

*mind enters gutter*
Actually, maybe that 4-foot tongue, eating everything, type lifestyle wouldn't be so bad...

Angel Of Apocolypse
03-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow, she reminds me of Lickintongue from Pokemon. I'm a kid at heart...I like pokemon!!!!

Itachi
03-14-2005, 12:28 PM
........it's hard to tell at some point, i mean he/she acts like a guy but considering that he/she was so happy aboot his/her marraige with vivi ..... i think hes just gender confused!.......ok now im really confused!!

UltimaLimit
03-15-2005, 09:54 PM
*shoots Quina*

Maybe the autopsy will reveal the answer.

udsuna
03-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Couldn't we just ASK the poor freak first?

UltimaLimit
03-16-2005, 10:15 PM
That's what I said, but alas, nobody listened. :rolleyes2

Oh well. Quina wasn't too useful anyway. Meaning, of course, that I haven't gotten any of his Blue Magic skills yet on my current file. But that's a different thread.