PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is (a character)

Azotar
03-06-2005, 01:24 PM
what the heck is Amarant, is he human? He looks more like a animal to me.

Armisael
03-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Yup i think he is a human..He just has a really weird and very spiky hair!^_^

Azotar
03-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey dark angel. u like repliying to me dont u?

Armisael
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Um yeah..I reply to every post i can ^_^

Azotar
03-06-2005, 01:56 PM
umm are u a girl?

Armisael
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
umm are u a girl?
Yeah..but what does this has to do with the topic?

Azotar
03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
just wanted to know. Any way. people think : human is, a person these days animal that looks like a person is a human at least that what people that play ff think. but not me. hey amarant is a Moul.
damn i never seem a person with red hair like that and made of plastic .
A mouth like a peak.

Hey amarant is not human.

Armisael
03-06-2005, 02:45 PM
just wanted to know. Any way. look human is a person these days animal that looks like a person is a human. hey amarant is a Moul.
damn i never seem a person with red hair like that and made of plastic .
A mouth like a peak.

Hey amarant is not human.
With this logic Zidane is not a human too since he has tail..^_^

Azotar
03-06-2005, 02:49 PM
lol u got me

TheSpoonyBard
03-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Amarant is a human, he just happens to have a slightly greenish tint to his colouring. FFIX is full of strange characters that resemble humans, such as Queen Brahne, and whether they are human or not is debatable. The only character who could be classed as 'human', judging from today's norms, is Garnet, but even she used to have a horn like Eiko's.

Azotar
03-06-2005, 02:52 PM
No there is still steiner.
lets not forget of the poor man

TheSpoonyBard
03-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Indeed, I overlooked him.

Before this discussion progresses any further I think we should define what being a 'human' actually is. Is it formed purely on the basis of appearance, or can a character such as Red XIII be called a human? He certainly seemed the most knowledgable and logical group member. The same can be said for Freya. She was a Burmecian, and although she had a head, body, two arms and two legs, she did not look like a 'human'. What constitutes humanity? Could the Genomes be called 'human'? If you disregard their tails you are left with the basic human form. However, they do not possess any individual thought our display any signs of autonomy which are common traits found across the globe. In my eyes being a human is having the capabilities of free thought, having a conscience, and possessing the intelligence to act independently of one another. Using this interpretation the majority of characters in FFIX are human, all in fact except for the Black Mages (not including Vivi).

Chris
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
I think he's like a...being?

I was like whoa! I think he's like alive? :D

Azotar
03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
yes they were really black
and big

Like u said ffix is full of weird characters, but dont u think that his eyes are like that of not sleeping because of guarding the Castle 24/7??

Are we going off the main subject?

No, i said (a character) so there is no problem

Hey forest owl: Nice speech, but u didnt give a more simple meaning , in other words i didnt get it. Now here is my speech (Simple and short)

Lets stop talking as players of ff and speak with reality.
If u see a man with a hat and a dark matter face with 2 yellow supposedly eyes, are u gonna say its human, no.
If u see amarant walking around are u gonna say its human or are the people gonna say its human no!!!
Regent Cid is human. Zidane is not, not only because of the tail, but the big mouth he has. So human is something like us.

Luthien Rogue
03-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Yup i think he is a human..He just has a really weird and very spiky hair!^_^

Dreadlocks. :P

umm are u a girl?

Yeah..but what does this has to do with the topic?

xD He's hoping you have a crush on him, hon. :D

Azotar
03-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey what the heck u know?
I just wanted to know

eden knight
03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
yes they were really black
and big

Like u said ffix is full of weird characters, but dont u think that his eyes are like that of not sleeping because of guarding the Castle 24/7??

Are we going off the main subject?

No, i said (a character) so there is no problem

Hey forest owl: Nice speech, but u didnt give a more simple meaning , in other words i didnt get it. Now here is my speech (Simple and short)

Lets stop talking as players of ff and speak with reality.
If u see a man with a hat and a dark matter face with 2 yellow supposedly eyes, are u gonna say its human, no.
If u see amarant walking around are u gonna say its human or are the people gonna say its human no!!!
Regent Cid is human. Zidane is not, not only because of the tail, but the big mouth he has. So human is something like us.
Then only VIII and some of X and X-2 characters look like human.

Ichimonji
03-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Barely anyone is human in FFIX, and out of your characters only Steiner is human.

Ultima Shadow
03-06-2005, 06:31 PM
He's a UWO. Unidentified Walking Obeject. :cool: Either that or a UAO. Unidentified Annoying Obeject :greenie:

With this logic Zidane is not a human too since he has tail..^_^
Since when was Zidane a human anyway? He's one of those things that Garland created, not a human.

Ichimonji
03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
A Genome.

TheSpoonyBard
03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
What I was trying to say is that a character does not have to appear human to be human. That may not make much sense, but I believe that someone's humanity comes from within. The examples I gave were Nanaki and Freya. While not appearing human they were both autonomous, had a conscience and knew the difference between right and wrong. These are qualities I deem to be human. Now take the example of Kefka. He appeared human (to some extent), but did not have an ounce of humanity inside him. The same can be said for Kuja's Black Mages. I guess what I'm saying is to be human you need to have a soul, and a good one. Therefore I see almost everyone in FFIX, and others, as being human.

Regent Cid is human
You say that Regent Cid is human even though we perceive him as an Oglop and a frog. Therefore humanity is something that comes from within.

Ultima Shadow
03-06-2005, 09:43 PM
A Genome.
Yea, that's the name. :greenie:

Camanche
03-06-2005, 10:32 PM
So Kefka, though born homo sapien, would not be considered a human?

I understand the logic you apply for what defines a human. (For example, Kefka's actions are refered to as inhuman.) It's really a good way to explain some of the characters in the Final Fantasy series.

A lot of FFIX's characters are a mix between a human, and some form of animal (FF in origin or not.)

I see Amarant as a demi-human. When I look at the skin colour and the hair I think of a Behemoth. (The one's from the series.) So as for what Amarant's 'animal' part is, I always kind of thought of him as an intelligent, bipedal Behemoth, without the horns. :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-06-2005, 11:02 PM
In my eyes being a human is having the capabilities of free thought, having a conscience, and possessing the intelligence to act independently of one another.In reality, however, being a human comes down to biology.

boris no no
03-06-2005, 11:24 PM
well at least he's alive! ;) then we wouldn't be able to play with him!
gosh that sounded rude didn't it! :p
i class him as human. but i also class zidane as human! noone that hot couldn't be! :tongue:

Ultima Shadow
03-06-2005, 11:45 PM
noone that hot couldn't be! :tongue:
Well, there's alot of creatures that are hot and still not humans. *points at sig* And they even exists in the real world as well. John Kerry for example. He's hot as hell but he's not human. He's a polar bear.

boris no no
03-07-2005, 12:01 AM
k.....
*backs away slowly....*

Excelsior
03-07-2005, 05:25 AM
when i first saw the cover of FF9 i thought amarant was like a chicken guy or something

Apollo
03-07-2005, 08:01 PM
when i first saw the cover of FF9 i thought amarant was like a chicken guy or something
Lol.So did I.

Craig
03-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm sure he's human, but all the main characters in IX are even not human or don't look it.

Zidane = Alien
Garnet = Horned summoner
Vivi = Puppet
Steiner = Uhh, well I guess he looks human, probably just wears alot of make up
Freya = Rat beast
Quina = Qu
Eiko = horned summoner
Amarant = Blue chicken man

TheSpoonyBard
03-07-2005, 09:38 PM
In reality, however, being a human comes down to biology.It's called Final Fantasy, so how much reality do you expect there to be? If you want to think that way then none of the characters are human because they are merely an arrangement of polygons on a television screen. My interpretation gives the characters the oppurtunity of adopting human qualities. How do you think it is players form a 'bond' with the sprites and actually begin to care about what happens to them in the story? It is because they possess human qualities that we can relate to. It has nothing to do with appearance, because players can form this bond when playing either FFVI or FFX, both of which have varying portrayals of 'human' characters.

Ichimonji
03-07-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure by reality, Kawaii means that being human officially comes down to Biology. Take FFXI for example. Mithra's, Galka's, and Taru Taru all have human-like qualities; externally, internally and mentally... But they're not categorized as humans. Why? Because they don't have the same bionic human builds. A human is you and I, black to white. Anything else isn't human.

Azotar
03-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah. But since the Game is called Final Fantasy i guess its alright to call them human

lol

DJZen
03-09-2005, 08:45 PM
A human is a being that can have viable offspring with other humans. Any species is defined as a group of beings that can have viable offspring. This means if a male and a female of that species have children, if those children can also have children, the original male and female were members of the same species. That's the scientific definition anyway.

As such, it would stand to reason that Galka and Hume couldn't have grandchildren. Unfortunately, it's fantasy. Fantasy LOVES to bend the rules. According to the Greeks, Centaurs could have children with horses and humans alike. There's also stories like Rosemary's Baby where a woman gives birth to a demon. Physical features seem to be the more defining aspect when it comes to species in fantasy styled stories. Even then it's kinda up in the air. Sometimes humans are depicted as looking VERY unhuman, but are still called human.

Then there's transformation to further complicate things. With Cid it's obvious enough. He was human first, and then became transformed into an Oglop by magic. Later he was transformed into a frog. So clearly he would be rightfully called a human who was transformed. Then we hit the dodgy "demi human" area. Is a werewolf human? Well... Most sources say no, a werewolf is just a werewolf, and they have two or three different shapes.

As far as Amarant is concerned I think of him as human (or hume or whatever) with a skin tone unique to the world of Final Fantasy. His hair is red. So? Lots of people have red hair. As far as its style is concerned, it's not that unusual. He just has dreadlocks. Seems simple to me, I don't know why that would make him un-human. It's definitely a lot less far fetched than Cloud's hair....

qwerto
03-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Barely anyone is human in FFIX, and out of your characters only Steiner is human.

what about Beatrix? Shes a Human. She may not be in your party but you get to fight with her... And she is darn good.

I have a few small questions:

1. What is Doctor tot? (I say something to do with a chicken...)
2. What is Kuja? (He is the same as Zidane but hides his tail... right?)

Pouring Rain
03-11-2005, 11:57 PM
i call 'em what i see 'em and this is what i think

Zidane: Monkey/Human
Garnet: Unicorn/Human
Stiener: Some freaky dude with mascara
Vivi: A man-made (maybe) black mage
Freya:A talking rat
Quina: Unknown
Eiko: Unicorn with wings/Human
Amarant: Blue dude with red dreadlocks (or maybe thats a hat)
Queen Brahne: a mutated freak
Kuja: Same as Zidane
Regent Cid: Human (turned into animals because of wive)
Sir Fratley: Same as Freya
Tantulus: Human (execpt for Cinna)
Cinna: talking Pig

thats all i gotta say

Quina
03-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I think it's a dude.

DJZen
03-16-2005, 11:11 PM
i call 'em what i see 'em and this is what i think
Tantulus: Human (execpt for Cinna)
thats all i gotta say

Cinna may or may not be human, it's kinda hard to tell, but I think you're forgetting Baku, Benero, Genero and Zenero.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/misc/tantalus-a2.jpg

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Doctor Tot is a human with an enormous nose.

Destai
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Baku looks more animal like than Cinna. Blank just looks kindve artistic. The leather sown into him yet hes not all gothic and demonic. Didnt Zidane make a comment about Cinna just having a smooty face? Besides that the only animal feature is his nose really and that could just be cartoony. (Blank roxors)

Camanche
03-17-2005, 06:27 PM
His hair is red. So? Lots of people have red hair. As far as its style is concerned, it's not that unusual. He just has dreadlocks. Seems simple to me, I don't know why that would make him un-human. It's definitely a lot less far fetched than Cloud's hair....

Heh, I love Amarant's hair. DJZen had certainly got us on the Cloud part too. ;)

I have a few small questions:

1. What is Doctor tot? (I say something to do with a chicken...)
2. What is Kuja? (He is the same as Zidane but hides his tail... right?)

1. I think Doctor Tot is meant to be a rather comically overexagurated human. All the characteristics that some people might think of when they think of a sweet, bumbling old professor are shown in the extreme with him. I think he is just an extreme charicature-type of human, but still human. Or a mole maybe. Maybe he's modelled after a mole. :p

2. Kuja is a genome, just like Zidane He is just kind of ashamed/unhappy with that fact, and hides his tail. I think Garland tells you this in the game.

DJZen
03-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Kuja is like the Beta version of Zidane, and Zidane is meant to be the angel of death IIRC. So yes, they're both Genomes, and Garland is the one who tells you all this.

Azotar
03-19-2005, 07:13 AM
So the ones that really look humans are Dagger and Steiner.

Ofcourse beatrix is also Human (completely)

JseanjohnC
03-19-2005, 09:49 PM
before I read the posts I would have voted for non human but he looks human to me...just weird looking.lol.(plenty of those in Florida)

Azotar
03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Ok. About Tantalus : Benero, Zenero and the other venero (these 3 look like sheeps to me), marcus ( He looks like a demon), cinna looks like an old dude to me ( like my uncle), and Baku just a big stupid talking bear. Zidane a Monkey boy

udsuna
03-20-2005, 05:30 PM
I always figured we just had a bunch of species of critters running around. We have humans, whatever the summoners are (and Eiko's wings are fake), Genomes, Rat-People (freya), hippo/whatever people, and then whatever Amarant is just whatever he is.

UltimateSpamGrover
03-20-2005, 05:43 PM
A Genome falling in love with an unicorn. Weird.

TheSpoonyBard
03-20-2005, 05:45 PM
No, not weird. Fantasy.

ffrinoa8
03-20-2005, 08:51 PM
when i first saw amarant i thought he was a duck with red dred locks....

Swordicanus
03-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Hey dark angel I think Azotar *cough* likes you ;)

Zerlina
03-25-2005, 02:05 AM
Sorry if this was said already, but I don't have the patience to read every post ;)

In FF they seem to have differing pictures of humans. They point out Vivi looked like a human. I don't know about you, but 4 foot tall creatures with no faces and glowing eyes don't look human to me.

Ultimate99997
03-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Doctor Tot is a human with an enormous nose.
I always thought that doctor tot was some kind of small owl who had green feathers and clothes - I didn't think that was his nose - it looked like a kinda beak. Hmmmmmmm - I 'll try and find a picture of him - very interesting character!

POST #2- can't find doctor Tot pic but......this original concept artwork for the game shows that Amarant is indeed meant to be human....

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/2917/amanoamarant3ca.jpg

viviismagod
03-25-2005, 11:45 PM
? Who cares? The guy is so useless, him AND his stupid looking claw. i mean he borin and crap at fightin and talkin!! he really make me fall asleep!!!!! everytime i see him on FF9 i just sream at him sayin "borin!!!!" cos he is!! :mad2: :mad2: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Azotar
03-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Hey, Amarant is very good, i use him to fight Ozma and he's very useful.
and hee's not boring he's like a friend i have and trust me he's cool.

O yeah.. and Shadow Dragon, U THOUGHT WRONG.

I mean .... never mind.