PDA

View Full Version : Are you a good exam taker?

Dingo Jellybean
03-07-2005, 06:03 AM
Me, no. Any exam that is timed to a few hours or less certainly puts me in the state that I must rush things. When I rush things, logic doesn't flow through my head the way I want it to.

Like take my number theory exam. I knew all the answers to the questions, because they were EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE HW, but because I only had 1hr to do them, I rushed my logic. As I rushed my logic, some of my proofs were worded incorrectly. I hope my professor will be in a similar state and give me full credit because he feels rushed to grade them and not notice any minor miswordings. Exams are worth so much of your grade, but they take only a few hours out of an entire semester that bad-test takers can suffer.

I never liked the idea of exams being weighted so much, but eh. I swear, no matter how much I study for something, sometimes I end up doing poorly despite knowing the answers.

Del Murder
03-07-2005, 06:04 AM
I'm quite good at. Perhaps one of the things I'm best at.

Yamaneko
03-07-2005, 06:06 AM
I enjoy essay exams more than multiple choice.

Del Murder
03-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah, more room to bs.

Awrini
03-07-2005, 06:11 AM
bs for teh win on teh essay exam!

Rase
03-07-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm pretty good, I never feel rushed unless it's Finals week, so I can think my answers through.

Samuraid
03-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Nope. If I haven't learned the material well before the exam, there's no use in me trying to study. And my exam grades generally don't reflect how well I actually know the material.

strawberryman
03-07-2005, 07:01 AM
I never study, and yet I always do good. It's probably because of my high mental capacity.
I'm also starting to think I take tests better when I'm tired.

Meat Puppet
03-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Like, presumably, everyone else, I'm far better at practical exams than written exams. In fact, I totally suck at written exams. My short term memory is screwed.

Rainecloud
03-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I handle English exams quite well.

I still get extremely nervous before taking them, though.

RSL
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I was a great exam taker. Nearly always got A's on them. It's the fact that they also graded homework that brought my GPA way down as I often didn't do it or waited until the last possible second and did it crappily. Ah well.

Sepho
03-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I love testing of any kind, and I think I'm pretty good at it.

As for as timed exams go, I don't let the pressure bother me. I speed up a little bit, but otherwise, I'd rather be almost positive that 80% of the questions are right than put a half-hearted attempt into all of them.

The only tests that have ever gotten me nervous are a couple Algebra II tests, and the ACT, the latter being the only one that was timed.

Loony BoB
03-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I've never failed an exam that was part of the curriculum (there was one a while back that was a 'test' exam half way through the year, but almost everyone failed it because we hadn't learned some of the stuff). I suppose that makes me fairly good at exams. I never really study, though. Although I have tutored a couple of people, including Calliope. I don't know if I really helped...

fire_of_avalon
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I like taking exams, for some reason, especially essay exams. I don't like math exams, though. If I can't figure something out right off the bat, I get frantic and spooked, which obviously has a negative effect on the rest of my exam. But I'm a terrible when it comes to studying, because I never HAD to do it. That's why I was so irresponsible in school last year. I've learned my lesson though.

Resha
03-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Not really. I've never failed any, but the stress nearly kills me. :( But I ain't seen nothing yet...

boris no no
03-07-2005, 02:57 PM
awful.
i got As in all my coursework but Ds and Cs in my exams
i just can't remember stuff all that well! :p

Silmaril
03-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Noy at all. I panic esp with essay questions. Though i suck at MCQs. :cry:

Dr.K
03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I prefer exams to coursework, at least through my experience. Not too sure whether essays or multiple choice are better though, both types can pose ambiguous questions.

Rye
03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
The last time I took a test that was really long, I ended up sitting near my friend, so we sent signals to each other using basic calculator letters (if you type some numbers and turn the calculator upside, you can spells things. I think the letters you can do are I, s, e, b, l, o. I'm sure there are a few more.) I ended up spelling stuff like "boobs" and stuff to my friend. xD

So no, I'm not very good at it, because I rush. I get good grades, but I could do better if I got breaks through the exam.

Tasura
03-07-2005, 11:01 PM
i havent studied or done homework in 12 years, but i manage to get above average grades, i have a sponge brain, stuff goes in and doesnt come out until after a few years. id say 7 or 8 years minimum

SoulSeek139
03-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Scantrons are my friends. There's nothing like being able to check your answer against 2-5 definite choices. I've always relied on tests for decent grades.

Kirobaito
03-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Considering I've never had a B average for a class and have never done my homework at home, I'd say that I'm a good test taker. I don't study either. But I know a few who are better at test-taking than me.

Shlup
03-07-2005, 11:36 PM
I must say, yes, I'm a good exam taker. I rarely study, I usually do well, and I'm quite often the first person to finish. I consider myself very lucky to have this talent, if that's what you want to call it. Takes off a lot of pressure.

Rye
03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Same here, I rarely study or put any effort into homework and I'm usually a 90 average student..

kikimm
03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
No---but only because I really don't like them. I hate filling in the stupid bubbles, reading questions, blah blah. I enjoy writing so much more; there's a lot more thinking involved, for me, when it's an essay test. A little more variety in my thoughts, which is always good during a test.

:D

rubah
03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Exams I don't have trouble with. They're sorta fun and I can usually get done much earlier:D (unless it's essay writing)

however, auditioning for stuff is another matter. exams get you some adrenyline going, but auditioning in front of people just makes me shake like crazy@.@:;;;

amratis
03-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Damn no, I suck at exams, I wish everything was based on Coursework, I always get A's and B's for my coursework and C's and D's for exams. Quite frankly I think they're a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif form of testing. How is cramming the expierence of 2 years of learning into a 2 hour exam an accurate representation of someone's abilities? Answer - Its NOT

Xalioniaf
03-08-2005, 03:44 AM
For me, it's simple. I just sit and glance at the test for a while, then all of the information magically glides into my brain via the ear. No joke. I seem to always get high grades on exams.

Dingo Jellybean
03-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Damn no, I suck at exams, I wish everything was based on Coursework, I always get A's and B's for my coursework and C's and D's for exams. Quite frankly I think they're a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif form of testing. How is cramming the expierence of 2 years of learning into a 2 hour exam an accurate representation of someone's abilities? Answer - Its NOT

You're right. Exams will take a total of 4 hours this semester in both math classes, yet worth 70% of the grades. But eh...I just have to be better at adapting since there is nothing I can do about it.

Resha
03-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Coursework [IMO] is EVIL. Drama coursework drives me crazy, and I'm so lucky I don't do art.

Nino Brown
03-08-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm about to find out how good I am at taking Bio exams.

Masamune·1600
03-14-2005, 06:58 AM
The numbers at the end of my name indicate exactly what you think they do (given the topic of this thread). So, yes, I feel I'm justified in saying I'm a good exam taker.

-N-
03-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Yes.

Yuffie514
03-14-2005, 07:06 AM
it really depends :mad: , but i can't doubt that i always get jittery before taking one :monocle: . i hardly study and i do well in most of them :p .

Heath
03-14-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm not a bad exam taker, I've never gotten below a C on an exam, usually with little revision. I will have to revise for the exams this Summer though, to make sure that I don't drop below a C in anything.

I don't like coursework at all. It's more pressure put on you in year 11, of so I've found, having to do various pieces of coursework at one time. Some subjects have coursework that is easy enough though, like History or English, but I hate doing the coursework for my Maths and Statistics GCSEs. Which reminds me, I need to do some more Stats work tonight.

bennator
03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Very much so. I tend to do much better on exams than my knowledge should permit me. It's almost as if I've spent longer learning how to do well on tests, than learning.

Social Moon Firesky
03-17-2005, 01:13 PM
I hate all those damn exams! Why can't the examiners pick on someone their own size?*Picks up samurai sword and chops of examiner's arm* Hiiii-yaaa! Take that, you scum! I'm dreading my French, German and Japanese speaking exams...I'm crap at talking in foreign languages...I can't even speak English properly, despite it being my mother tongue.*Laughs nervously* Ummmm, bye!

Chemical
03-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Yeah, more room to bs.

Essay writing, I'm pretty good at, but it is the bs that I master.

Blackmageboi
03-17-2005, 06:31 PM
i am student type 2
good acheiver low behavoir
yes i exel in tests

amratis
03-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Some subjects have coursework that is easy enough though, like History or English, but I hate doing the coursework for my Maths and Statistics GCSEs.

:D 2 of my 3 A-levels were History and English, go figure :D And hey it wasn't easy :cry:

eestlinc
03-18-2005, 12:37 AM
The numbers at the end of my name indicate exactly what you think they do (given the topic of this thread). So, yes, I feel I'm justified in saying I'm a good exam taker.

lol, I should get my name changed.

Anyway, I always loved exam days in school because they were usually easy and you didn't have to listen to a boring lecture or do homework or anything. Finals week was always my favorite time because you didn't have to go to regular classes.

DaremihC
03-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Very good at taking tests... if the exams are worth 70% or more of the final grade, I do NO homework... I hate homework...

I did get a 1300 on the SAT though... no, not as good as masamune, but I'm still proud of it...
So far I have studied for one test in 10th grade (I'm a sophmore in college) and I failed it... only test I've failed so far...

Mo-Nercy
03-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Aw hell yes. I'm known for not doing anything all term and semester and then skipping about two weeks of school before exam week to study like a yak on heat.

As for actual exam taking. I write fast and neatly, I always plan essays beforehand and memorise quotes exceptionally well.

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 03:39 AM
im good.I dont study or nothin and i usually GET AN A OR b srry fdor caps

YunaGirl05
03-18-2005, 03:43 AM
I'm pretty good alittle nevous in the beginning but then i get comfertable and do really good.

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Ive got motivation to do good

Social Moon Firesky
03-19-2005, 09:13 PM
They had this insanity test at school once, and when they got to me, it imploded and created a black hole. True story.

Shoden
03-19-2005, 09:15 PM
I do pretty good but i hate exams

Social Moon Firesky
03-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Bump.

bigbri2k5
03-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I always do well in exams. In my mock GCSEs i beat everyone at everything without revising!
Dont know how. i feel nervous going in but then calm down and get on with it quickly. I finished a 1 hr 30min geography exam in 35 min i was so bored i fell asleep :D

Social Moon Firesky
03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm never nervous before big exams, 'cos I kid myself they're not important...

Little Miss Awesome
03-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I freak out when it comes to taking exams, I normally come out doing ok, but I just can't stand them, I wish all my GCSE results came purely from coursework!

Social Moon Firesky
03-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Crap! I've got 6 pieces of coursework to complete for tomorrow! Arghhhhhh! It's gonna be an all nighter for me. Well, you know what they say. No rest for the wicked...