PDA

View Full Version : japanese in word..

Udon
03-07-2005, 07:54 AM
How to type Japanese words in MS word?

Mirage
03-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Do you actually know japanese, or do you just want to enter random kanji?

Udon
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Yep. I know Japanese... I think there is a way of typing roman characters and automatically be change to hiragana/katakana/kanji. Right?

Endless
03-07-2005, 10:08 AM
You need the Japanese IME, which you can get <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEED31CD-15A9-4B86-AFE5-E77A095599F3&displaylang=en">somewhere</a> on the MS site. Then in the language setting in control panel > regional and language etc... > language > check the east asian box, then > details > add, then select Japanese.

Lucky Charms
03-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I tried installing that Japanese package.. for some odd reason never worked on my Word.

Well here's an alternative if that doesn't work, you can download a program like NJStar. It types Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji real easily. I use it to write notes to my friends. :)

Endless
03-07-2005, 12:30 PM
It should look like <a href="http://lopez.famille.free.fr/images/J-IME.jpg">this</a> in order to work and be typing Japanese in Word (note the [Jp] in the taskbar).

Udon
03-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks! I'll download it later. I think think the ime link is broken :c

YukiKiro
03-08-2005, 06:47 AM
i don't know about MS, but if you go to alta vista or babble fish.com you can enter english words and it will give you the japanes words in kanji, you need to do the right word order though.

Udon
03-08-2005, 07:01 AM
I know. But I prefer typing. XD

Udon
03-08-2005, 01:39 PM
uhm i saw the ime is only for windows xp? i'm using office 2003. so will it still work?

crono_logical
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
What version of Windows do you have? If you have Windows XP, you don't need to download anything, it's on the installation CD. Just follow the steps Endless said in his first post, skipping the bit about downloading from the MS site. You might have to download if you're using Windows 2000 though, I can't remember. In either case, it should work with any recent version of Office - Office is not even required to have japanese input. It'll work in other programs too, like Mozilla Firefox.

Note Office is not Windows, since you appear to be confusing them in your last post :p

Mirage
03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
i don't know about MS, but if you go to alta vista or babble fish.com you can enter english words and it will give you the japanes words in kanji, you need to do the right word order though.
Yep, you can always count on Babelfish for good and accurate translations.

Necronopticous
03-08-2005, 06:46 PM
You can get a really good free Japanese word processor <a href="http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html">here</A> called JWPce so you don't have to mess around with your regional settings.

It's a good program, I've used it myself.

i don't know about MS, but if you go to alta vista or babble fish.com you can enter english words and it will give you the japanes words in kanji, you need to do the right word order though.=
Or insert the English word it can I do not know the Japanese of Chinese character word concerning the person whether babblefish.com goes, if to Alta Vista it gives, it is necessary to do but word order the right.