PDA

View Full Version : And now... the FFV challange!

Ultima Shadow
03-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Before I start... I just want to warn you that there may be spoilers ahead in this tread. That's all, have a nice day.

It has been a while since I last made my own FF challange and posted it here. But now I've come up with a new, cool and completely orginal FFV challange! :cool:

It's really sad that this game is so underrated and probably one of the least played FFs. The FFV forum is also pretty dead compared to the other forums... and that's really a shame! Hopefully, more people will discover FFVs greatness and discuss this game a bit more in the near future. :)

Now... on to the actuall challange. For those who wants to experience this great game once again but in a harder and more challanging way... here's the FFV Challange!!! :D

The rules are much more simple than in, for example, my old and awesome FFVIII challange. The rules are:

1) Unequipp all your characters and NEVER equip them again. No armours, no weapons and no relics trough the whole game. The knight class will be much less usefull and the Monk class will kick ass (compared to most of the other classes) but magic will also play an alot greater role than before.

2) The "ability" command in the menu that allows you to equip 2 special abilities to your characters is not allowed to be used trough the whole game. Thanks to the ability thing, you're allowed to have a knight equiped with black mage spells etc. However... since it's not allowed you'll have to be a black mage to use black magic, be a blue mage to be able to use blue magic etc. Also, you won't be able to equip abilities like Gil Toss and X-Fight.

I've just started the challange myself. I'll update as I advance. Good luck to anyone else who wants to try this. :cool:

rubah
03-07-2005, 11:10 PM
I predict dancers might make a great appearance.

I might have wanted to join in if I hadn't already got a game I'm working on halfway through:)

Ultima Shadow
03-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Yup. You may have to rely alot on dancers and mages. :cool:

Oh, well... :greenie:

Necronopticous
03-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Final Fantasy V was, unfortuntely, my least favorite game in the series so I won't be following you through on this one, but I'll definately be keeping up on your progress.

eestlinc
03-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Final Fantasy V was, unfortuntely, my least favorite game in the series so I won't be following you through on this one, but I'll definately be keeping up on your progress.

FFV is my favorite game in the series but I doubt I'll be following this one either, although I wish you luck.

Monol
03-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Well look who it is....its my old nemisis Ultima Shadow..muahaha...er well im gonna also agree that ffV is COMPLETELY underrated and i respect this little challenge of yours and am here to say that im with ya all the way :cool:

who knows i may even try this challenge my self...(I LOVE CHALLENGES and i hate wasting things! ((such as magic)) so this is perfect! taking full advantange of a great game...ingenious)

Excelsior
03-08-2005, 03:11 AM
yes this challenge is most intriguing. however, i will not be joining this challenge, as i dont even have the skills to beat the game proper (i got to like N-Zone and then my characters sucked to much to continue) but once i beat the game regularly i think ill have a go at this.

Ultima Shadow
03-08-2005, 03:53 PM
That's sad... because I, myself, loves this game with all my heart. :) In summer I'll get alot more free time... I guess I'll come up with a whole bunch of new challanges in different FFs then. Hope you'll join on a few of those then. ;) However... there's a long time to wait before it's summer. But whatever.

Well look who it is....its my old nemisis Ultima Shadow..muahaha...er well im gonna also agree that ffV is COMPLETELY underrated and i respect this little challenge of yours and am here to say that im with ya all the way :cool:

who knows i may even try this challenge my self...(I LOVE CHALLENGES and i hate wasting things! ((such as magic)) so this is perfect! taking full advantange of a great game...ingenious)
:D

If you'll try it out, then tell me. :cool:

I'm currently in the small town in the very begining of the game since I just started the challange yesterday... and I didn't get much time yesterday... but I'll edit this post soon and update the situation. ;)

Chris
03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I truly hope you make it... as for myself I'M JUST TOO DAMN LAZY TO DO IT MYSELF ;_;

But I'll be following your progress!

Ultima Shadow
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Ok, I've defeated Siren and my save file is currently on the world map shortly after. So far it's easy as pie since there hasn't been any need for good equipment yet. But that's the way it works in no-equipment challanges. The futher you get, the more powerfull equipment is required. Almost no abilities have been learned so far either, so that's a later-game problem as well. The hardest fight so far was the first boss battle since the classes weren't allowed at that point but it was still pice of cake, first try win, no problem at all. Hopefully it won't take too long before it gets intressting... :greenie:

Ultima Shadow
03-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Yea, I know this is an double post but it's just to keep this tread alive. :greenie:

Still haven't got too much time but yea, yea... whatever. :p
I've just defeated Garula. Garula is the first battle to be a bit tricky. His average phsycical attack takes away about 130+HP... and my monks only have about 210 and my white mages about 160. However... it's still not all that hard. This is the first battle where I had to spend a Pheonix Down. :cool:
The mountain part was very easy and the boss was pretty much a pushover as well. The dude could do about 50% of my characters HP in dammage with a normal hit and the girl used Ice which did some dammage as well but that battle was really no problem. About as easy as Siren. Garula however, required a second try. :cool:

Ultima Shadow
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Ok, I've just escaped the castle with the fire crystal. The Fire Boss was no problem either, even though Fire2 was an instant kill, thanks to the Monks counter-attack. Enemies are getting thougher and the defense of the party members is nothing but crappy. :) When I've finished the game, I'll also try to take on Omega and Shinryuu this way. :cool:

Edit: I went to the library... and Ifrit was a push over. I just had everyone as Black Mages and used Ice2 4 times.
Byblos, the book boss, could kill my whole party in 2 moves but since he's weak to fire he went down pretty fast himself since everyone where black mages. Fire2 made short work of the book dude. :cool:

Faris
03-11-2005, 02:20 PM
:D! I'll try this sometime! :D :D
and spoons are teh graetest!

Ultima Shadow
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Ok, I've just got the airship.
Everything went alright until the part where I tried to get Aqua Rake from that Chimera. It took me 2 tries before it went like it should. Everyone but Reina where Ninjas and threw Mythril Swords from the backrow. I had to hit it 2 times, wait until it almost killed my party with Aqua Rake, and then throw a 3th Mythril Sword to finish it off. The Sand Worm dies in 1 singel hit from Aqua Rake, but even without Aqua Rake it's not much to fear. The random encounters are getting a bit tougher. :cool:

Blackmageboi
03-11-2005, 07:18 PM
hey i will try this is very hard at the first boss though so i have to keep leveling

Ultima Shadow
03-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Yup, the first boss is the second toughest boss I've fought so far in this challange but as long as you've stocked up on potions from the first town, it's not too hard. Just don't be afraid of using all your potions. :p Thanks to the Monk class, stuff gets a bit easier for a while. In the begining everything is just as easy as normal. Then, after a while, the difficulty level goes up every now and then. In my current situation, most random encounters can do about 40% of my characters total HP in dammage with a normal attack. Stronger monsters, like Sand Bears, does about 50-60%.

Dormos
03-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Wow, this seems interesting. I'll probably try it out after I beat the game the first time (I'm at the last save point in the N-Zone, mastering all the jobs).

Ultima Shadow
03-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I've now got to the part where Galuf returns to his own world and my party is currently at level 15. :cool:

The Turtle boss in the meteor is pretty tough and standing in the front row is NOT a good idea since that means that this Naughty Turtle can kill a character in 1 hit. The tactic I used was having 2 Ninjas, 1 Black Mage and 1 White Mage, all standing in the back row. The Ninjas threw stuff for pretty good dammage and the Black Mage used Ice2. Using 3 Ninjas could have been more effective but I didn't want to waste all my throwable stuff and the Black Mage works very good as well. The White Mage just healed over and over again. Since the Turtle only had about 2000HP, it went down quickly.

Before going to the floating city-thing with the Earth Crystal, it's a good idea to get the Charm Song since it's pretty usefull inside the floating city-thing and also... Level5 Death is very usefull! :)

Inside the floating city-thing I had an intressting encounter with a boss called "Arch Avis" or something like that. Geomancers where powerfull in this battle but NOTHING beats the Blue Mage. I used Galuf as a Blue Mage. The battle was way too easy in the begining but then Arch Avis revived itself (it's just like a "second part" of the battle). All magic attacks seemed to be completely ineffective and Arch Avis also got a bit more dangerous. Since I didn't have any Monk or Ninja in my party (the only classes that can do some good phsycical dammage, Ninja with "Throw" and Monk with "Attack") I could hardly do any noticable dammage at all. However... right before I decided to restart with a Ninja or Monk in the party, I just tried Level5 Death... and it actually worked. If it wasn't because of that, I think this should have been the hardest boss fight so far. But... yea, it worked. So I beat this dude on my first try as well. SO far I've only died once, on Garula. The random encounters keep getting more dangerous though... and the bosses HP are becoming more of a problem than before. :goomba:

Ultima Shadow
03-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Just got to Galufs world. :)
Now, the Bomb dudes in the first meteor where extremely easy and no problem at all. Titan on the other hand... was probably the toughest guy I've faced so far. Even though you can kill him with a few Shurikens, his earthquake attack was as close to an "instant game over attack" you can get. It leaved 1 of my party members alive... with 3 HP left. Sure, maybe leveling up a bit would have helped but but... whatever. :p It took me 3 tries to take down this fat dude. The Chimera thing wasn't really a problem. 2 Aqua rakes would kill your party but you only need to survive 1 since this is a short battle... when you have 3 Ninjas in your party. Throw a few... umm... weapons or Shurikens or whatever you've got, and this boss will go down in no time.

Necronopticous
03-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Sounds like your progressing well, good job!

Who do you suspect will be the toughest boss in this challenge?

Ultima Shadow
03-16-2005, 06:02 PM
If not including Omega and Shinryuu... then I think it will be Neo-Exdeath... however... Twin Tania and Necrophobe may be very tough as well (I really hope so).

I've currently reached the Mog Forest and my party level is 17-18.

Gilgamesh and the "Big Bridge" wasn't really a problem. Even though the monsters are cappable of doing a noticable amount of dammage in a singel move, I've never had a real problem with them. If I'm unlucky, I'll have to wait until the X-Zone until they get really intressting. The Bone Dinosaur was a pushover, whenever you use Life on it or not.

Dormos
03-18-2005, 12:35 AM
I don't know how you're doing this at lvls 15-18. My friend and I are sharing a game (on the two-player kind of thingy that they have), and we're on Biblos at lvl 21, and he kills us in two hits. That can't be just bad skill that we died, and we've never done any extraneous training. We've gone straight to the next place, save for when we leveled up one more level in order to avoid Lvl 5 Death right before the Library of the Ancients.

Ultima Shadow
03-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, at the moment I'm at level 22... and I'm just about to enter the living forest. :cool:
Anyway... Biblos is very simpel. He may be able to kill your party in 2 hits... but he will only get 1 hit if all your party members are Black Mages and use Fire2. That's how I could beat him at level 15 without any trouble. My party was almost dead after his first attack, yes, but he never got the time to use a second move. Fire2 > Byblos. Oh, and I run from battles every now and then since 1) I don't want it to be too easy if I'm at high levels and 2) sometimes I'm just too lazy to fight. :p That's probably why my levels aren't all that high.

Anyway... like I said I'm just about the enter the living forest of Mua (or whatever it was called).
The Hiryuu montains had some tough encounters. Zombie Dragon + Bone Dragon is a good example of a very tricky encounter... especially when Life and Pheonix Downs just refuses to work on them even tough they are undead. However... having "Geomancers" in the party is a very good isea since their Terrian ability have many great moves in this area. The Hiryuu Plant-boss itself was the greatest pushover so far. I just had 3 Geomancers killing all the small flowers with powerfull attacks like Quake. They didn't get the time to attack even once. Gilgamesh and that flying monster thing was a bit tougher but still not too much trouble. Bio is extremely usefull against most baddies, including Gilgamesh. Now... the sheild-tower was pretty intressting. The red dragons are by far the toughest thing I've fought so far. The Automic ray killed off my whole party at once. The only way I could beat them where by having a 4 ninja party and throw water scrolls at them and hope that they wouldn't use Automic Ray. Most of the other encounters wasn't really any problem though. Atomos was by far the most "expensive" boss I've fought so far. He finished my party twice before I killed him with a 2 Black Mage and 2 Time Mage party. However... I had to use about 6 Pheonix Downs in this battle. That's very expensive in my opinion. :greenie:

Ultima Shadow
03-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Ok, I went trough the forest, killed the crystal boss-things with Gil Toss and then went to Ex-Deaths castle... and that place had the by far most dangerous encounters so far. Red Dragon + Blue Dragon = DANGER!!! I was killed once by those 2 dragons, but I managed to beat them the second time I faced them. I just refused to run them. :p

Carbunkle went down pretty fast and so did Gilgamesh... Ex-Death was a big deal of trouble since both his normal attack AND his "Wave-something" attack worked like an instant-kill attack at my weak party members. His magics dealed about 80-90% of the characters max HP in dammage and his Quake dealed about 60% to my whole party. Yes, that's very much trouble since he also attacks twice in 1 turn sometimes. He killed my twice and when I defeated him on my 3th try, I had to spend about 16 Pheonix Downs. :) It's finally getting intressting. :)

KuRt
03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, I went trough the forest, killed the crystal boss-things with Gil Toss

I just tought you said NO GIL TOSS at the start..

nah, maybe i missed sumpn.
the game is super easy with gil toss and healing
EDIT: started the challenge and i have never been leveling up so much! Ultima Shadow, what is your current location and level? i´m lvl 18 and i should go fight kraken or whatever the boss in the canal is..

Ultima Shadow
03-21-2005, 07:45 PM
I just tought you said NO GIL TOSS at the start..

nah, maybe i missed sumpn.
the game is super easy with gil toss and healing
EDIT: started the challenge and i have never been leveling up so much! Ultima Shadow, what is your current location and level? i´m lvl 18 and i should go fight kraken or whatever the boss in the canal is..
Yes, but that's because I thought that Gil Toss was an ability that you learn and have to equip. I had completely forgot that it was the auto-equiped and un-equipable command of the samurai class. It's really sad since Gil Toss feels a bit too powerfull. :( I tried out the crystals without Gil Toss at first and I defeated them with Ninjas throwing Shurikens... however... that just felt so EXTREMELY expensive that I reloaded the game to check if I could beat them in a less expensive way... and that's when I discovered that samurais permanently have Gil Toss. However... I haven't used Gil Toss since then since it didn't feel good to use it. I'll complete the rest of the game without it.

What? Level 18 before the cannal? Are you really serious? That must have taken a lot of time...

Well, I've just got to the 3th world. I haven't had the time to continue since my last update so I'm still at the same place. In the very begining of the 3th world. My party level is currently 26.

KuRt
03-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Yes, i tought that this may be hard so i started by leveling up..

KuRt
03-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Now i´m at lvl 21, just got the steamship, monk job is almost master at all chars and lenna has lvl 5 death against adamantoise and aqua rake against sandworm, SoL cannon might be a problem, so I have to keep levelling up..

Ultima Shadow
03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Now i´m at lvl 21, just got the steamship, monk job is almost master at all chars and lenna has lvl 5 death against adamantoise and aqua rake against sandworm, SoL cannon might be a problem, so I have to keep levelling up..
Seriously... I think you're overdoing the leveling. :p You really don't need to keep leveling. Man, I was like level 15 when I defeated the Sol canon. :p It's not much of a challange if you're completely over leveled. :greenie:

I'm still at level 26 and I'm just about to enter the Pyramid. I killed the Gargoyles by summoning Titan a few times.

Ultima Shadow
03-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok... Bahamut was without a doubt the toughest boss so far. He finished me off 6 times. My party level is 29... except Reina who is 27 since I didn't get to use her for a while back then. Ex-Death "voided" her and all that stuff. :greenie:

After the Pyramid I went back to the forest and fought that naked girl boss. She died after a very few Fire3 and Ice3. No trouble at all. I got Reina back and decided to go and get Odin.

Odin was a VERY expensive battle. I had to use those VERY expensive "Super Shurikens" (I forgot the name but it's the Shuriken-things that are better than the normal ones). I used a 4 Ninja party, Threw 4 of those "better Shuriken-things" got hit by that slash thing that Odin does and 2 of my characters died while 2 stayed alive with a very small amount of HP left. I used another of those things and finished off Odin with it! :cool:

Then I went to get Bahamut!!! :eek:
Got the Black Chocobo (altough it's actually purple) and went to that big desert and then to the mountains and then I climbed the mountain etc. :redface: And THEN I got to a SAVEPOINT! :eek: And THEN... I saved my game! :spin: And then I walked towards the top of the mountain... :excited: And then I... ENTERED A RANDOM BATTLE!!! :hyper: And then I ran away from the battle because I was too lazy to fight. :eep: And then I encountered BAHAMUT!!! :x_x:

The first time I fought Bahamut, I was killed after about 2 or 3 turns... by Mega Flare which did about 2000 dammage to my party... and Butz as MONK only have about 1500-1600. The following 3 battles I was finished off by Mega Flare again. My "Super Shurikens where all used up and I never bothered to buy new ones... and I didn't have enough money anyway. Instead I used ODIN! My party was 3 Summoners and 1 White Mage. The White Mage only used Shell and Cure3 while the Summoners started off by summoning Golem and then only summoned Odin over and over again. Odin did about 2500dammage most of the times. I had to use an Elexir in the end of the battle to restore both HP and MP of 1 of my summoners in order to survive Bahamuts next move and then Finish him off with a final Odin attack.

So... that's where I am now. Outside the mountais where I just defeated Bahamut. Oh, yea... and Exit is an awesome spell. It saves alot of time to use it instead of walking all the way back from the top of the mountain. :cool:

rubah
03-24-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm glad you're finally getting a challenge;)

Ultima Shadow
03-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm glad you're finally getting a challenge;)
Yes. :)

I can hardly wait until I'm taking on Shinryuu and Omega though. THEY are going to be a hellish load of trouble! :D

Ultima Shadow
03-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I went to that temple-thing in the middle of a bridge. Gargoyles= Mega pushovers. The ninja in the chest called "Invisible" was easy as pie as well. However... some of the random encounters where very tough. Espesially those small wizards that likes to use Level2 Old, Level3 Flare, Level4 Quadra and Level5 Death. However... I didn't have Level3 Flare until now and Level3 Flare is pretty usefull so... they wheren't all that bad after all. Those big birds that you may encounter are extremely annoying because of their extremely high HP. The boss that you fight in the end of the temple, Stalker, is the most annoying boss so far.

Stalker is 4 targets. Only 1 is vurneable at a time and once you hit the vurneable target, it will became invurnable and another of the 4 targets will be vurneable instead. If you attack them with attacks that hits all the targets, then they will all counter with Blaze... which will almost annilate your party. I was extremely close to die once because of that and I had to use an Elexir and a few Pheonix Downs to prevent a Game Over at this boss. All simply because I used an all-targetting attack before I was aware of their counter. However... I got the extremely usefull Blue Magic "Mind Blast" from this battle! While I've forgot many things from when I played the game normally, I still recall dammaging, stunning, and HP-runs-away-effecting powerfull foes with Mind Blast... and for the cheap cost of only 6 MP. This magic is simply awesome. :cool:

Then I went to the Fork Tower to get the ultimate black and white spells. Flare and Holy! :cool:

I split in 2 groups. Butz and Faris took the right side while Reina and Cara took the left side. Lenna and Cara had to face powerfull encounters that I ran away from most of the times while Faris and Butz blasted away every singel encounter with Mind Blast and Level4 Quadra and a few other Blue Mage spells. Why couldn't Cara and Lenna just do the same? Well... simply because the encounters on the left side are a lot harder than those on the right side and the stunn effect from Mind Blast won't work on the left-siders. :greenie: I would have had to use My most powerfull Magics and/or Odin and Bahamut to get trough those dudes without having to use up a load of Pheonix Downs, Hi-potions and maybe even a few Elexirs. And I didn't want that... so I just pressed down the good, old run buttons... and used the Exit spell when those didn't work. :greenie:

The bosses however... where both pushovers. For Minotaur I just used 2 Ninjas. I threw some Shurikens and healed with Hi-potions. In the end of the battle Minotaur tried to use Holy, but failed because of lack of MP. :p The Omni-something Mage dude was a bit tougher but still very easy. I just used some cool magics, slowed him and hasted myself. In the end he finished off Cara with Flare but Reina was alive and healthy. :)

Yea, that's how far I've got. :cool:

rubah
03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Ugh, I remember those things that cast mind blast. although I was more annoyed with the mind blast itself.

Ultima Shadow
03-27-2005, 12:17 AM
I just went trough the waterfall cave. The most common encounter seemed to be a woman and a toad. If you wait too long, the woman will turn the toad into a Red Dragon! Ouch! However... with 4 Black Mages, those encounter where extremely easy. I just absorbed MP from the woman and then finished off both her and the toad with Flare and Bio.

If you get back-attacked, then you're in trouble... atleast if you're at the same levels as me. A small Bat is capable of dealing 600+ dammage in 1 hit... and my characters have about 900 as Black Mages.

Leviathan was the second thoughest boss so far. :D I died 4 times on him. :cool: Sometimes he does the Tidal Wave move twice in a row... and that means instant-kill to anyone who doesn't have Shell. When I finally beated him on my 5th try, I used 2 BMs and 2 WMs. The White Mages used Shell, Safe and Cure3 while the BMs used Bolt3. Leviathan was much faster than my party tough... and Tidal Wave was a pain. :)

Oh, yea... and my party level is 30(Reina), 32(Cara) and 33(Butz+Faris).

Ultima Shadow
03-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok, I got all the stone tablets and went to the Cleft of Dimensions.

The last tablet, the one under the sea, wasn't that hard to get. The encounters where no problem and I just had a Geomancer in the party to avoid dammage from the magma. The boss, those 3 annoying things, was very easy... but probably only because I used Carbuncle and Golem. Almost every attack they made was either reflected back at themselves or blocked by Golem. I beat them up with Fire3, Ice3 and Flare and then finished them all off with Bahamut.

Then i went to the Cleft of Dimensions!!! :eek: And most encounters did about 500 dammage with a normal attack... when I was standing in the backrow. When I got back-attacked (which happened twice) a normal, phsycical attack did about 1000+ dammage. Scarry... but I managed to get trough it all without having to restart from the latest savepoint even once. The first boss, the one in the forest, was easy as pie. Then I encontered Omega... just for the sake of it (after saving, ofcourse) and my party was wiped out in a few seconds. Hmmm... this will be tough when I do serious atempts later on. Then I killed that Book-Boss that was even easier than the one in the forest. I went to that castle place and encountered an IRON GIGANT! Yes, only 1... and the battle still took like 3-4 mins + it almost wiped out 2 party members. The Monk class is not that usefull anymore, by the way. I've had to rely on magic, Bards and Ninjas lately. I fought the Blue Mage boss and got Big Guard by casting reflect on him. Once I got Big Guard, I just finished him off by using the blue magic "Bombarder" which made him learn it and then use it himself. (Bombarder is a sucide attack).

Well... then I saved at the savepoint that appeard and then I fought Catastroph. I failed once since I got killed by his first move, a powerfull earthquake attack. When I fought him again, I used Float on my party before entering the battle. He used Gravity 100 to take down my party on the ground again, but by recasting float and always keep 1 character in the air(floated), he just used Gravity 100 instead of that Quake attack. He died after a few Flares. :cool:

That's how far I've got. I saved at the save point again after beating Catastroph. :cool:

My party level is 32(Reina) and 34(everyone else).

Masamune·1600
03-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Good luck with your continued efforts. I may have to try this the next time I play FFV. Omega, however, is really going to take some thought.

Ultima Shadow
03-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Good luck with your continued efforts. I may have to try this the next time I play FFV. Omega, however, is really going to take some thought.
Thanks. Oh, and Omega... well... the REAL problem is being able to dammage him. There's no X-Fight or Magic Sword to save you this time. You'll probably have to cast Bolt3 on a party member with reflect... however... when I tried that, it only did about 1500 dammage. :greenie: Shinryuu will probably be an even greater problem because of TIDAL WAVE!

Masamune·1600
03-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Wow, I didn't even think of that! Without protection from water, even starting the Shinryuu fight seems a bit much. If you can think of a plausible strategy, be sure to post it.

Ultima Shadow
03-29-2005, 08:40 PM
I've been thinking for a while... and casting Big Guard will make Tidal Wave only do half dammage... but if I remember correctly, Shinryyu always gets the first strike and always uses Tidal Wave before anyone else gets a move... that could be pretty troublesome... but it SHOULD be possible! :cool: There HAS to be a way to survive it! :greenie:

Necronopticous
03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
I've been reading up on your challenge, sounds like you're making great progress. I'm very curious to hear about your attempts against Omega and Shinryuu, that will be great if you can manage to beat them like this.

Ultima Shadow
03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes. When I fought Omega and Ultima Weapon in FFVIII without junctioning and with the crappiest weapons, I almost thought it would be impossible at first... but I still managed to beat them that way. And you, Necro, have also got past almost unbeatable bosses in your FFX challange... so this have to be possible. I really hope Tidal Wave won't be the horrible attack that makes Shinryuu impossible, like Seymours Firaga storm did in your FFX challange. But I'm sure that atleast Omega is possible... even though he may be even whorse than no-materia Ruby Weapon... :greenie:

However... for now, I'll just finish the game to begin with. I'll need a lot of power leveling and job mastering before even thinking about taking on Omega and Shinryuu. :cool:

Ultima Shadow
03-31-2005, 12:41 AM
I've just finished the game! :D The level of my party was 34 and 36.

Beating that dude who turns everyone into frogs in the begining of the battle was pice of cake. No strategy was really needed. Just heal with White Mage, Protect with Blue Mage (Mighty Guard) and strike with Flare with Black Mages.

Twin Tania COULD have been a problem... if it wasn't because I used Carbuncle with my summoner. Every time Twin Tania used his Mega Flare, it was just reflected back at himself... doing about 4000-5000 dammage. Another pice of cake battle.

Then I went to the cleft of dimensions. The encounters here are very tough sometimes... but they are far from terrible. I healed my party with potions and ethers before taking on Necrophobe... and changed my party to 3 Summoners and 1 Blue Mage. Those Barrier things can be very dangerous... but I managed to finish them off with a few Bahamuts before they got me caught in a bad situation. When the barrier where gone, I used Golem and Carbunkle to protect myself from just about all Necrobhobes moves. Odin and Mind Blast took care of Necrophobe until Gilgamesh come and saved the day.

I saved at the savepoint and before I went to Ex-Death, I tried out Shinryuu... just... because... I wanted to know if I ever would be able to stand a chanse... and now I'm sure I won't. Shinryuu gets the first move and uses Tidal Wave... and does 8000+ dammage to everyone! Is it even possible to get more than 7000HP in this game? This is scarry...

Oh, well... I fought Ex-Death and it was a pretty tough battle. My party was: Butz as Blue Mage, Reina and Cara as Summoners and Faris as Time Mage. The first part was pretty easy. Mighty Guard + Haste2 + Golem + Reflect + Being able to heal with Hi-Potions and White Wind was a pretty good combination. However... there's 2 attacks that I had to watch out for. Meteo and White Hole. Meteo basically killed 2 party members and White Hole... kills and petifies 1 party member. I attacked with Odin, Mind Blast and Meteo. Neo Ex-Death was much tougher. I had to have Mighty Guard, Golem and Reflect on my party all the time to be able to survive. Wacum Wave kills part members if Golem don't protect them, Fire3, Ice3 and Bolt3 kills my party if I don't have reflect... and that weird attack called Allmast or something like that is an instant game over attack if I don't have Shell on my party... since it does a little more dammage than the max HP of my characters. I had to heal with Elexirs and White Wind. And even if I had my party protected... Grand Cross could still ruin everything! :p It only happened twice tough. I had to restart this battle 3 times before I beated Neo Ex-Death on my 4th try. Bahamut was my most powerfull move against Neo Ex-Death (I refused to use Gil Toss) and it was almost the only offensive move I ever used trough the whole battle. Meteo wasn't that effective and the Blue Mage only had level3 Flare which only worked on 1 of all the targets. The Blue Mage and Time Mage was better as healers and supporters. It was Bahamut that saved the day! :cool:

So... I've finally finished the FFV challange... but I still have an Omega and Shinryuu to deal with! :cool:

Dormos
04-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Congratulations!

Ultima Shadow
04-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks. It feels like this challange was a little too easy though. But Omega and Shinryuu will be a big problem. Shinryuu might not even be possible... and if Shinryuu IS possible, then I guess I'll have to be at level99 or something. I'll have to level up alot... :greenie:

KuRt
04-04-2005, 12:02 PM
congrats, the only way i could think of getting enough hp to survive tidal wave is to have lvl 99 chars as monks.
I myself, I´m leveling up for the final boss of world 2

Gwelenguchenkus
04-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Ultima Shadow.. that is amazing! I had a lot of trouble beating Ex-Death.. on a normal playthrough :( And I was at higher levels. Maybe I just don't know the good strategies or something? I need a mentor!

Anyway, you said yourself that it was pretty tough at certain battles, but it looks like a lot of other really useful abilities saved your butt in other situations, so it made the battles easier.

Congratulations! I don't know HOW the heck you will beat Omega and Shinryuu, but I will be really impressed if you do. Good luck!

KuRt
04-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Ultima Shadow.. that is amazing! I had a lot of trouble beating Ex-Death.. on a normal playthrough :(
For exdeath, use 3 or 4 gil tosses. for neo exdeath, use 4 gil tosses.

I advanced to the dyramid, my party lvl is currently 28 and lenna is at lvl 27. Exdeath at the end of world 2 was the most diffuclt boss so far. Had Lenna as time mage, Butz and Cara as black mages and Faris as white mage. at the start of battle, I used Cara to cast haste2. butz and lenna was only doing bolt3, fire3 and ice3. Faris casted wall and image on everyone, cara casted float on everyone, then slowed exdeath. Exdeath´s only attack that hit me, was bolt 3 before i had putted wall on everyone, so lenna and butz died. i revived them and started the magic hacking again. finally exdeath used ice3 to lenna, got reflected back to him and he died.. :rolleyes2

Well maybe he wasn´t hard, he was time consuming. still the hardest fight i´ve had.

Gwelenguchenkus
04-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I always avoided Gil Toss because I felt so incredibly cheap using it, nd I didn't want to depend on it.. so good chance I've never tried it on Ex-death either .

When I get a little more free-time (I always say that :( ) I might replay FFV, and then maybe the third playthrough I'll try a challenge, but that will be a long long time considering I usually wait a while between playthroughs, so I'll have to sit this one out for now.

the omega/shiryuu battles may be impossible, but if they are possible with no equipment/second abilities, that would be pretty damn amazing.

Ultima Shadow
04-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I always avoided Gil Toss because I felt so incredibly cheap using it, nd I didn't want to depend on it.. so good chance I've never tried it on Ex-death either .

Same here. That's why I used Bahamut instead. On my normal playtrough I just slashed away with whatever I got. :greenie:

KuRt... you're leveling up WAAAAY too much. :p Really... you don't need to power level at all to complete the challange. :)

Masamune·1600
04-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I just did some calculations, and all might not yet be lost! According to J.L. Tseng's algorithm FAQ on GameFAQs, in FFV, the base HP at level 99 is 3950. With the monk's 50 vitality bonus, that means a level 99 monk should have, as I calculated, around 9899 HP. If said formulae are accurate, then you might be able to survive Tidal Wave after all!

Ultima Shadow
04-04-2005, 07:14 PM
I just did some calculations, and all might not yet be lost! According to J.L. Tseng's algorithm FAQ on GameFAQs, in FFV, the base HP at level 99 is 3950. With the monk's 50 vitality bonus, that means a level 99 monk should have, as I calculated, around 9899 HP. If said formulae are accurate, then you might be able to survive Tidal Wave after all!
Great! I'm very gratefull for giving me that info. :)

Oh, and KuRt... keep us updated. It's always nice to hear how you're doing + it will keep the tread alive for longer. :)

Masamune·1600
04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
I just realized I didn't include innate character statistics in my calculations, so Bartz, Reina, and Faris should all actually reach 9999. Krile stays at 9899 using Monk as a job, since she has no inherent vitality bonus.

Continued good luck!

Ultima Shadow
04-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for that info! :)

I'm currently mastering classes. I just want to do that before I start powerleveling. My current average level is 40 though.

KuRt
04-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Oh, and KuRt... keep us updated. It's always nice to hear how you're doing + it will keep the tread alive for longer. :)
Thx! So..

Ok, so i got the stone tablet from bottom of the ocean, got phoenix and next I´m ging to hack bahamut. With time mage, 2 black mages and a white mage I´m unstoppable.
Oh yeah, also should go get odin, tough i dunno can i beat him with those in one minute. Think i have to collect some money from statues at Odin´s place and buy a couple pinwheels to throw him off.
So, just wapping around. Think I´ll go get Syldra now, collect money, beat bahamut, beat odin, get the last stone tablet, go beat the crap out of exdeath.
But I´m going to have another savestate that I´ll try to beat omega and shinryuu. Shinryuu might be little tougher than Omega, but omega is still hard, beause with no equipments, cant use any fire resistance items.. U know, atomic ray...

AND I HAVEN´T USED GILTOSS!!

I tought of doing some kind off ff4 challenge after this, then maybe ff7

KuRt
04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Updtes, updates.

I killed odin wiht a 1 time mage and 3 ninjas party. Hasted myself and pinwheeled odin in 20 secs. After that i went to the pirates hideout and got syldra. Oh! also went to get the magic lamp :cool:

And then there were Bahamut. Tried him a couple times unti l i died in mega flare every time, no matter did i have shell, or no. I tried many ways like black mages and a time mage, time mage, 2xblackmage and a white mage, nothing seemed to work. Then i used a time mage and thee summernerds (summoners :D). Battle started, time mage casted haste 2. The rest of the battle was very simple. Summoners used odin, time mage meteo and Bahamut attacked a couple times, but no one even died.

Went for the fourth stone tablet, And currently I´m battling Leviathan. the battle is real hard. the only way to survie from tidal wave is to have shell on. I have 2 white mages and 2 black mages, so i could get the shells on more quickly. But still, it allways goes like this: Battle starts, Lenna casts shell on herself. Butz casts bolt3 on leviathan. Leviathan uses tidal wave. Everyone else except Lenna dies. Leviathan does a normal attack on Lenna. GAME OVER.

So, it seems like lvl 31 lenna and 33 others is not enough..

Ultima Shadow
04-07-2005, 04:46 PM
But it IS enough! :p I did it at much lower levels so it really is possible. You should try to get Shell on the whole party before attacking. :greenie: But yes... Leviathan is 1 of the few tough battles. Oh, and I think that Omega actually MAY be harder than Shinryuu as long as you survive Tidal Wave without too much trouble. It's simply because it's much easier to dammage Shinryuu than Omega. Omega is a PAIN when it comes to attacking him. His defence is probably the greatest problem.

KuRt
04-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I dunno, tou maybe right, Leviathan just does the tidal wave just after i got shell on 1 party member..

But also tou survive from shinryuu´s tidal wave by having lvl 99 monks. Currently, I see monks are useless. But maybe in lvl 99 they´ll kick shinryuus sorry butt. maybe.

Still trying on leviathan!

Ultima Shadow
04-07-2005, 07:27 PM
But also tou survive from shinryuu´s tidal wave by having lvl 99 monks. Currently, I see monks are useless. But maybe in lvl 99 they´ll kick shinryuus sorry butt. maybe.

Yes... I'm afraid that Monks won't be all that effective on Shinryuu... therefore I guess I should just have about 2 Monks and then have them revive the other 2 party members after Tidal Wave. I don't think 4 Monks stand a chanse against Shinryuu even at level 90+.

Oh, and you said that you could do 1 Shell and 1 Bolt3, right? Then maybe you should change the BM who used Bolt3 to a WM instead. That may make you able to cast atleast 2 Shells before Tidal Wave. :greenie:

KuRt
04-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, well I found that having 3 ninjas and 1 time mage would do the battle if i had 3 pinwheels more. haste 2 and pinwheels are kinda effective. :love:

So I´m collecting money in "lake of no exp" :cool: (at least i like to call it that way) The lake near the waterfall where is leviathan (just fly your airship in the lake). Anyways, there are much of battles where there are 3 sea devils, wich tou can just use Odin to, and tou get 9000 gil and 6 Abp, or there maybe also 2 seadevils and one giant bird. Odin in this battle does only gungnir, so using shoat 3 times causes very easy victory with gaining 11000 gil :D and 13 Abp :eek: , only thing is, tou cant get any exp from these battles. :mad:

Hint for all who didn´t know the place!! ;)

Edit: Hahahahhaaha! looks like leviathan could not handle haste 2, 9 pinwheels and a meteo without dying. SHE DIDN´T EVEN HAVE TIME TO USE THE FRIKIN´ TIDAL WAVE!!

Ultima Shadow
04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
haste 2 and pinwheels are kinda effective. :love:
And extremely expensive... :p Really... 25000 for a pinwheel is a lot. However... yes, pinwheels are very powerfull. :greenie:

So I´m collecting money in "lake of no exp" :cool: (at least i like to call it that way) The lake near the waterfall where is leviathan (just fly your airship in the lake). Anyways, there are much of battles where there are 3 sea devils, wich tou can just use Odin to, and tou get 9000 gil and 6 Abp, or there maybe also 2 seadevils and one giant bird. Odin in this battle does only gungnir, so using shoat 3 times causes very easy victory with gaining 11000 gil :D and 13 Abp :eek: , only thing is, tou cant get any exp from these battles. :mad:

Hint for all who didn´t know the place!! ;)
Yes, it's an awesome place... even though I prefere the cleft of dimensions when it comes to ABP. :D
Good luck! :cool:

Edit: Hahahahhaaha! looks like leviathan could not handle haste 2, 9 pinwheels and a meteo without dying. SHE DIDN´T EVEN HAVE TIME TO USE THE FRIKIN´ TIDAL WAVE!!
Hmmmm... I just thought of something. Maybe the best way to beat Shinryuu is by throwing... Dragon Spears! :p You'll just have to go trough the hell of getting enough Dragon Spears to throw... ouch!

KuRt
04-07-2005, 08:25 PM
well, they do cost munny but in 3 battles, tou get the money to buy one.

And btw, Ultima, what level are tou?

Hmmmm... I just thought of something. Maybe the best way to beat Shinryuu is by throwing... Dragon Spears! :p You'll just have to go trough the hell of getting enough Dragon Spears to throw... ouch!

sinistral idea, fella!

Ultima Shadow
04-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm still spending some time mastering classes in the Cleft of Dimensions where you get no EXP... but I've fought some Iron Gigants and got my party to level 44 and 45. :cool: I wonder if it may be worth having a Class-less character in the battle against Shinryuu and maybe Omega. Even though I pretty much only will be able to use items with it, I'll have a lot of high stats that could help me survive. And I guess I'll have to spend some elexirs anyway so... yea. :greenie:

Braindead_Paul
04-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Well, that shouldn't be much of a problem. I think 6-8 should be enough to defeat Shinryuu so you only have to fight 6-8 Crystal Dragons and have some time to restart the battles using "Reset/Return" until you get what you want.

KuRt
04-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Just curiosity, how much abp do tou get from cleft of dimension per battle?

Masamune·1600
04-08-2005, 12:38 AM
It might be possible for other job classes to survive Tidal Wave at Level 99. I only did the calculations for Monk because it was the class with the highest Vitality bonus (the stat crucial to HP determination). However, I doubt that the magical classes will have sufficient Vitality to build up the HP high enough. If I do any additional calculations, I'll let you know, but they're extremely easy to do if you want to do them yourself.

As to Shinryuu, I would also advise you to be wary of Blizzard, which can take off around 2500-5500 HP on all. That could be problematic in mid-battle if you're working with less than full HP.

As to your other challenge: One of the things I find most horrifying about Omega is the possibility of Encircle being used multiple times. I don't know if how many times Omega can use the technique in a protracted battle, but if he can use it more than once, that's very bad.

Anyway, continued good luck with the project. Keep updating!

EDIT: I like the idea of throwing Dragon Lances at Shinryuu. Hope it works, if it eventually comes to that.

Ultima Shadow
04-08-2005, 12:11 PM
As to your other challenge: One of the things I find most horrifying about Omega is the possibility of Encircle being used multiple times. I don't know if how many times Omega can use the technique in a protracted battle, but if he can use it more than once, that's very bad.

That's 1 of the reasons Omegas defence is so dangerous. Since it makes the battle take more time, it gives him more time to be able to use that move. And only having 1 character removed from the battle is an extreme dissadvantage. If he would use it twice, then you probably won't stand a chanse at all.

KuRt
04-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Keep us udated of your levels and jobs, ultima!

I by myself am at cleft of dimensions, beat every boss except exdeath and shinryuu, I tried to find some movers but they are really rare so I didn´t find any. I think I´ll go back to lake to collect money, or try to steal dragon lances. Everytime i´ve stolen from a crystal dragon tough, I´ve only got elixers..

So the first boss of the castle: Apocalypse: He was easy. Did wall on him and waited for him to use big guard. All the waiting time I used odin and when he used the big guard, got it reflected, and i learnt it. Then i used a couple of odins and he died.

Next: catasthrophe: He was even easier. just kept my chars floating and casted odin, it was there. the only thing he did was gravity 100.

And then, The evil dude whose name i always forget: He made all my chars frog at the start of the battle so i had to use maiden kisses. Next, casted haste2 and just kept flare/holy/meteo him.

Twin tania: I had a time mage, blue mage and 2 white mages party. blue mage did the big guard and time mage haste2. Only thing that white mages did, was just cure3 when the party was hurt, life2 when someone was dead and holy to do 5000 dmg to twintania when there was no need for healing. Time mage slowed Twintania and after that just kept using meteo. Blue mage only used a couple of hi-potions or phoenix downs and did the big guard again to those guys who were dead.

Gilgamesh: Just did 15000 dmg to him with different spells and he escaped.

Necron was a bit tougher but still not that hard. just bahamutted the barriers away and healed with cure3. when necron was out of barriers, odin/flare/holy started. Then came gilgamesh and blew him away.

Chars lvl 34 and summoner mastered at all chars. black mages just missing a couple hundreds abp so If i found movers, i could buy pinwheels and master my jobs veery quickly.

Ultima Shadow
04-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I've just got my party to level 50 (except Reina who is level 49). I've also been able to steal 4 Dragon Lances.

Ultima Shadow
04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
I DEFEATED OMEGA!!!

...with a level 60 party. I used a Blue Mage, Black mage, Summoner and a Time Mage. The Blue Mage, Black Mage and Summoner are MUST HAVES! And I had my 4th character as a Time Mage because of Haste2 and Quick. Quick is awesome in bad situations since it allows you to use 2 Elexirs in 1 turn... or 1 Pheonix Down followed by an Elexirs etc.

It took a few tries but after a while, I defeated Omega thanks to reflected Bolt3. By having reflect on my whole party and then cast Bolt 3 on my whole party, I was able to do about 6000 dammage to Omega. The BIG problem was that Omega countered every singel attack with Rocket Punch... or even, a few times, Circle!!!

Masamune·1600
04-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Wow.

My sincerest congratulations on an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

Dormos
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes, congratulations. That's really impressive.

KuRt
04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
OMG or should i say OMeGa!

kool :cool: I haven´t played for a while

Ultima Shadow
04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Now it's only Shinryuu left. But the leveling is driving me insane. I think I'll finish off Cara and Reina and just level up with Faris and Butz in order to gain twice as much EXP. Then I'll just have to revive Reina and Cara. It's still going extremely slow though. I think I'll stop as soon as my HP goes a liitle above 8000. Just enough to survive Tidal Wave. I just can't stand leveling to 99! :p

Gwelenguchenkus
04-13-2005, 04:37 AM
That is really amazing, Ultima! I wasn't sure if it was even possible but you proved me wrong. I can't wait to see your inevitable victory against shinryuu! :D

Dormos
04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Have you mastered all the jobs yet, Ultima?

Ultima Shadow
04-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Not all jobs with all the characters, but most of them. I'll stick to leveling though. Man, leveling in FFV is such a h-e-l-l! :yuck:

Ultima Shadow
04-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Ok, I've finally decided to take on Shinryuu. Only Faris and Butz are at high enough levels to survive Tidal Wave though. I killed Cara and Lenna in order to gain twice as much EXP for Faris and Butz. I just couldn't stand the slow leveling. :p

Anywaw... I have NOT been able to defeat SHinryuu yet though. Shinryuu has proven to bee much more dangerous than Omega... :greenie:

Masamune·1600
04-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Good to see an update, though.

Ultima Shadow
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Yea. It took a very long time before I could update and say something else than my current level. I've stoped leveling now, though. And I'll keep trying to beat Shinryuu. :cool: The biggest problem is Shinryuu's crazy speed and that he/she may attack twice in a singel turn. Maelstorm + Automic Ray is not a combo that you want to be hit by. :greenie: Also... that SHinryuu may use Mighty Guard makes the battle much tougher.

nik0tine
04-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Wow.. You're crazy!

Masamune·1600
04-20-2005, 02:39 AM
What jobs are you using right now?

Ultima Shadow
04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
The Blue mage is a MUST HAVE because of Mighty Guard but I still need to have 2 characters as monks or bare class... so I'll only be able to have 1 singel attacker... and that would probably be a Ninja. However... I think I'll have to level ALL the characters to 98 (not 99 because of Level3 Flare). Seriously... I really underrated Shinryuu. I can't belive I actually thought Omega would be harder. 50% of the times I try this battle, it usually goes like this: Tidal Wave kills Cara and Reina, Butz and Faris are alive with very, very low HP. Faris and Butz heals themselves with Elexirs, Shinryuu attacks about 3 times before I get a move and usually finishes me off before I even get a chanse to revive Cara and Reina. If I revive Cara and Reina instead of using Elexirs, I usually gets finished off by Shinryuus next move which probably is Thunder (not the weak magic), Atomic Ray or Snow Storm (I HATE snowstorm!). Even though Shinryuu have a lot of different moves, only Level2 Old, Level3 Flare and Might Guard are the only moves that won't do a LARGE amount of dammage or KO a character. And since Shinryuu is fast as crap, it's no easy task. I'm not even sure if it's possible to do this at my current levels. Really... it's almost impossible to survive more than 4 of Shinryuus attacks. A big problem is that a Blue Mage don't have enough HP to even be able to survive Tidal Wave. If I could make a Blue Mage survive Tidal Wave, it wouldn't even be close to as hard as it currently is... however... now that's just impossible so... I'll have to come up with something else. Another even bigger problem is that I'll need 2 bare classes and 1 Blue Mage to even have a chanse to survive... which means I'll be very weak when it comes to offense. Man, this is a VERY tough battle. I'll actually go back to leveling for a while.

Ultima Shadow
04-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Ok, I still haven't been able to beat Shinryuu. :p Seriously... this is probably the most insane battle I've ever fought... or something like that. But it seems like I'll need to have a Ninjaless party. In this battle you'll need all kinds of defense aviable... so I guess a Blue Mage, Summoner and 2 bareclass party will be a pretty good choise. Simply because Carbunkle (reflect) makes Atomic Ray get reflcted back at SHinryuu instead for dammaging your party and Golem will block and phsycical dammage. Mighty Guard is simply a good defense against almost all of Shinryuus attacks + White Wind is a great way to heal your characters. I'll have to stock up on Elexirs as well. I'll probably need atleast 50. Yes... I'm serious. ATLEAST 50 Elexirs. :eek:

I'll be very weak on the offensive side... but such is life. I will probably not live for long if I have a Ninja instead. Still... Shinryuu is an insane killing machine and surviving is extremely hard. Shinryuu is more than twice as fast as your characters and may attack twice in a singel turn. Really... you don't want to be hit by Maelstorm and then, before you get a move, Snowstorm or Atomic Ray... or even Thunder or Poison Breath for that matter. Man, you actually don't want to get hit at all directly after a Maelstorm. :greenie:

nik0tine
04-22-2005, 08:31 AM
I don't remember if you HAVE to attack with a character in FFV or not. In many of the FF games you can skip a persons turn and go directly to the next characters turn. However, the character still has a full ATB gauge so if you never attack and only skip with one character, you can have your turn ready whenever Shinryuu attacks. If that character is a healer, you can heal immediately after an attack. If possible, I recommend trying that.

Ultima Shadow
04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Well... I don't think it's possible to do that in FFV. It's sad because it would really have been useful some times. However... in this battle you'll have to heal just about every turn you get with a healer (bare class or blue mage). That's why you'll need all thos elexirs. I still haven't reached level 98 with all the characters yet... but now I'm almost sure that I won't stand a chanse at all until I've got all my characters at that level. Really... this battle is whorse than no materia Ruby Weapon and no stats junctioning Omega Weapon.

Masamune·1600
04-22-2005, 09:12 AM
I would suggest only going up to Level 97. At Level 98 (or any even level, really), Level 2 Old will be able to hit. This could really prove debilitating as the fight progresses, and you're clearly planning a protracted battle. Level 99, as you've already said, is out of the question thanks to Level 3 Flare.

Ultima Shadow
04-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Yes, thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot about level 2 Old. That would completely ruin my offensive side.

KuRt
04-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah I started playing again for a while and killed exdeath blah blah blah..

Oh! and about that lvl2 old would have also lowered tou characters´ speed so Shinryuu might have gotten about 4 attacks before tou..

Ultima Shadow
05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Finally... I'm almost at level 97!!! Soon I'll be fighting Shinryuu again... :cool:

Dreddz
05-04-2005, 07:45 PM
I cant be bothered to go through FFV again
Make a FFIV challege
Ill gladly do that

Ultima Shadow
05-04-2005, 07:57 PM
I've already made a FFIV no equipment change challange long ago... but I might as well come up with a new challange for FFIV.

We'll see after that I've beaten Shinryuu. :greenie:

Gwelenguchenkus
05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I wonder if you can beat shinryuu? It sounds.. soo tough :[

Ultima Shadow
05-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Ok, I'm finally ready to take on Shinryuu again! :cool: My mages still have a very low amount of HP though... oh, well... 6000 may not be low but... it's still not enough to survive Tidal Wave. The greatest problem is to completely recover after Tidal Wave...

Dreddz
05-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Shinryuu is really difficult
I can onli beat him on one of my save files which is where all my characters were about lvl 95 or 94
All my characters were bare which to me is the trick
But you probably already kno that
Good luck !

Ultima Shadow
05-07-2005, 03:10 PM
WHOA! I defeated Shinryuu!!! :cool: No equipment and no extra abilities!!! :D

I had 2 bare class, 1 Blue Mage and 1 Time Mage. The Time mage proved to be more useful than the summoner thanks to Haste and QUICK (I just love that spell)!!! It took some time and I had to retry a few times even with my characters at level 97 but yea... I was able to do it. :cool:

rubah
05-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Woot!

Good job ultima:D

Ultima Shadow
05-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks. :)

I would probably rate this as 1 of my thoughest battles so far. Shinryuu is a merciless killermachine when you don't have any equipment. :greenie:

Now I'm 100% done with the FFV challange! :cool:

Gwelenguchenkus
05-09-2005, 05:35 AM
Wow! Ultima, that is really great! I don't know how you did that exactly, but that's pretty incredible. Congratulations! :beer:

Ultima Shadow
05-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Well... the battle went pretty much like this:

Well... Tidal Wave kills everyone but Faris and Butz. Butz gets shell since he had mastered the Mystic Knight class and was bare class at the moment. I heal with elexirs. Now... I was very lucky because Shinryuu only used Level3 Flare (or Level2 Old... I don't remember which one but it doesn't matter), Automic Ray and a Phsycical attack. I survived without any trouble, used pheonic down and elexir on Reina (Time Mage). Then, thanks to Quick, I was able to revive and heal, cast haste and heal or attack and heal in 1 singel round + I already had 2 Bare class dudes who spent almost all their turns healing and reviving. Thanks to Cara's (bluemage) Mighty Guard, I could survive most attacks and since my characters were hasted, my characters were almost as fast as Shinryuu. I attacked by casting Meteor and a very few times even do a phsycical attack with Faris aand Butz. The only things that really was dangerous once I had my whole party revived was Snowstorm, Rollet and Demon Gaze.

Masamune·1600
05-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Awesome. Nothing else needs to be said.

Excelsior
05-12-2005, 05:54 AM
holy crap, how the hell did u get your characters to level 97!? jeez, i frickin suck at this game. my cahracters are level 36, and i cant beat neo x-death. damn u ultima!! :p

Ultima Shadow
05-12-2005, 06:25 PM
holy crap, how the hell did u get your characters to level 97!? jeez, i frickin suck at this game. my cahracters are level 36, and i cant beat neo x-death. damn u ultima!! :p
Trust me... getting my characters to level 97 was a hell. :p

Awesome. Nothing else needs to be said.
Thanks! :D

When summer break starts and I get a lot of free time, I'll probably come up with a few new challanges for other games. :greenie: