PDA

View Full Version : Ending

rubicant
03-08-2005, 12:49 AM
K, tell me if I understood the movie right.
You might as well highlight the entire message to see all of the Spoilers I typed.

This is my reasoning for Tidus' death. I think that everyone in Zanarkand was and is a fayth. Tidus is a fayth and by killing the Aeons, the fayth was destroyed. I came to this reasoning when Zanarkand became petrified.. Am I right or way off.

Skyblade
03-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Off, I beleive. Yes, everyone in Zanarkand was a fayth, but Tidus was not among those. The people who were the fayth were not the people in the dream version of Zanarkand. Tidus was one of the dream Zanarkand's people. So he disappeared when the summoning of the dream Zanarkand ceased. The fayth died, but Tidus just ceased to exist.

lord shishio
03-08-2005, 01:47 AM
How has this thread not been closed yet?

Skyblade
03-08-2005, 01:59 AM
How has this thread not been closed yet?

Um, because it has a valid question that has only been answered by one person so far..?

Squall of SeeD
03-08-2005, 02:28 AM
This should explain what you want to know and more than you cared to when you asked your opening question:

A thousand years before the main events of Final Fantasy X, there raged a war between Zanarkand and Bevelle. This is known as the Machina War. One of the many results of this war was that the Calm Lands were left desolate:

Maechen
"As you know, these plains were once a battlefield."
"A great battle between Bevelle and Zanarkand, a melee of machina!"
"That war left this place a barren, lifeless land."

Among those who fought against Bevelle, were Summoners, who could Summon powerful manifestations of the Fayth: the Aeons:

Maechen: Where to begin? About a thousand years ago, Lenne was a popular songstress in Zanarkand. The talk of the town, you might say.
In a more peaceful age, she might have lived out her years as a
performer. But the times-and her talents-did not allow such a thing to
be. You see, Lenne's gift for singing was matched by her genius in the
summoner's arts. When the Machina War began, all summoners were sent to the front lines.

However, this was a war that Zanarkand would not win. Bevelle's powerful Machina overpowered Zanarkand's defenders, and they were all captured or killed in battle.

Finally, with Zanarkand's defenders defeated, Bevelle decided to launch an assault upon Zanarkand itself. They sent their warriors up the slopes of Mt. Gagazet, expecting to find a helpless Zanarkand on the other side. However, this was not to be the case. Before they could ascend the slopes, they heard a song, and a moment later, they found themselves under assault from the great and malevolent force that would terrorize the world of Spira for a thousand years:

Maechen
"Just before the horrible Sin appeared..."
"a terrible war raged between Bevelle and Zanarkand."
"When the armies of Bevelle attacked Mount Gagazet, they heard a song echoing across the snowy slopes."
""'Tis a song from an otherworld," they said. The soldiers panicked and ran." "And then, as if to pursue the retreating armies, Sin appeared!"

Yu Yevon, Summoner and ruler of Zanarkand, had convinced his People that if they were to all become Fayth, they could let their memories of the Zanarkand that was live on. However, in addition to their dreaming creating Dream Zanarkand, Yu Yevon was able to tap into the great amount of power produced by the dreaming Fayth, and create an armor with which to punish Bevelle. That armor was Sin.

Essentially, Sin was an Aeon, as Aeons are manifestations of the Fayth, that are formed when the Fayth's memories are processed through their dreams, and these memories are then processed into the real world by Summoners who tap into the Fayths' dreams. In the case of Sin, Yu Yevon tapped into the dreams of the Fayth on Mt. Gagazet, and processed the memories from those dreams into Sin.

Using the armor that was Sin, Yu Yevon destroyed the true Zanarkand, and set-about the task of terrorizing Bevelle and the world at large:

Maechen
"Some time later, scouts from Bevelle braved the mountain."
"On the other side, they witnessed the ruins that had been Zanarkand."
"The city destroyed. Not a single soul left standing. Gone!"
"In its place, a multitude of the fayth had gathered on Gagazet."
"They were singing a song."
"It's the song we now call the "Hymn of the Fayth.""

The People of Bevelle feared Sin, believing the Fayth on Gagazet to be what had created Sin. Their fear would later turn to reverence, however, partly due to the actions of Yu Yevon's daughter, Lady Yunalesca, and her husband, Lord Zaon:

Maechen
"Rumors flew in Bevelle about Sin's sudden appearance."
"They said that the people of Zanarkand became the fayth, that they had called Sin."
"And that the man responsible..."
"was none other than the summoner Yevon, ruler of Zanarkand!"
"Yes, the lord father of Lady Yunalesca."
"On the eve of Zanarkand's destruction, Lady Yunalesca..."
"had fled to safety with her husband, Zaon."
"Later, the two used the Final Summoning to defeat Sin."
"Yet the people of Bevelle still feared Yu Yevon."
"It was to quell his wrath that they revered him, and first spread his teachings."
"And so were born the temples of Yevon."
"I suppose it's possible Yunalesca had planned it that way from the start!"
"A fair trade, she defeats Sin in exchange for her lord father's honor."

The People of Bevelle continued to fear Sin, believing it was their punishment, and, thus, they began to rever Yevon, as a repentance of sorts.

However, Yu Yevon found himself caught. He could not stop Summoning Sin, and he was now forcing the Fayth on Gagazet to continue dreaming. He lost his sense of self to the Summoning, and becoming nothing but a living force of Summoning, that could not be destroyed with other Aeons, as Yu Yevon's spirit would possess them and turn them into a new Sin:

Fayth
"Yu Yevon was once a summoner, long ago."
"He was peerless."
"Yet now he lives for one purpose: only to summon."
"He is neither good, nor evil. He is awake, yet he dreams."
"But...maybe not forever."

Tidus
"Yeah, that's right. Because we're ending it."

Fayth
"Yes."
"Even if you defeat Sin with the Final Summoning, Yu Yevon will live."
"Yu Yevon will join with the Final Aeon."
"He will transform it into a new Sin."

The cycle of Summoning worked like this:

Yu Yevon forces the Fayth on Gagazet to dream of Dream Zanarkand and Sin.

As a Summoner, Yu Yevon taps into the power of the Fayth, and Summons Sin.

Sin lives on forever, as Yu Yevon will always join with the Final Aeons, and continue to force the Fayth to dream of Dream Zanarkand and Sin.

In order for the cycle to end, Sin had to be destroyed, and any Aeons that could be transformed into a new Sin had to be destroyed. Thus, Yu Yevon would have no host, and would be made vulnerable, as it would have to fashion a physical form for itself. If then destroyed, Yu Yevon would no longer be able to force the Fayth into dreaming, and they would rest, thus ending the Summoning forever.

Tidus was one of the Fayth's Dreams. Thus, when they rested, he faded away.