PDA

View Full Version : BLACK WINDOW of death.

strawberryman
03-08-2005, 05:50 AM
just recently my computer has had these weird occurances where what looks like an MS-DOS program opening and closing. Not only is it very annoying, but quite frankly, I am concerned.
Of course I should'nt be, considering I have a full anti-virus thing.
Any help?

EDIT- I forgot to add one thing.
Just about two day's ago I had thought I got rid of it, but It just started up AGAIN. Sometimes...

Peegee
03-08-2005, 10:50 AM
buh...are you running any ms dos command line scripts during periods of idleness? I did that once (a script to delete the blasted my pictures/music/etc directories), and every minute a flicker of black would appear.

Failing that (which is likely the case), maybe just a msdos batch is running for some reason?

crono_logical
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Not only is it very annoying, but quite frankly, I am concerned.
Of course I should'nt be, considering I have a full anti-virus thing.
On the contrary, you should be very concerned, regardless if you have antivirus or not. Plus antivirus does not substitute anti-spyware, or a firewall, or even an up to date antivirus database.

Are these occurences always when you turn on the computer and/or log in? You might want to check what's being autoloaded in this case. Going to Start > Run > type "msconfig" and click OK, then look on the startup tab is one way to look at this list. Then check the list for anything that looks dodgy, or you know don't belong on your computer because perhaps you didn't install it. You might also want to do this anyway, because there might be a backdoor or trojan in there, allowing someone else to control your computer whenever they like, and they're causing this. There are trojans capable of crippling certain brands of anti-virus programs - this might be noticable from your antivirus program not functioning correctly when you attempt to use it for certain tasks.

strawberryman
03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Theres really nothing out of the ordinary that I can see.
Course i'm not a complete computer wiz, :rolleyes2 so...
All that I see is the following:
Mozilla Quick launch
ScanRegistry
Taskmonitor
Systemtray
lrmon
loadpowerprofile (two of them?)
Schedulingagent
Cmaudio
PCTVOICE
a whole bunch of antivirus stuff,
and Winzip quick pick

Anything out of the ordinary there?

crono_logical
03-08-2005, 11:16 PM
The command associated with each startup item is usually more informative than the name itself, since it's easy for trouble programs to hide themselves by using a fake name, but not so easy in the command :p

o_O
03-09-2005, 03:47 AM
There's a small chance that it could be kwbot. It's a nasty mass-mailing worm, which repeatedly opens and closes the DOS prompt. Later versions of it spread through P2P clients and the IRC protocol, and can give remote control of your box through IRC.
On the off chance that it actually is, you can remove it <a href="http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-w32-kwbot-p-worm.html">here</a>. :p

strawberryman
03-30-2005, 03:40 AM
It's finally gone. Yay. i thank you all for helping. :D

Meat Puppet
03-30-2005, 04:54 AM
On the topic of black windows
My winlogon.exe runs as a command prompt window for some whacky dacky reason. Then when I close it, my computer resets itself.

Also, I start to blackout when I turn my head like this.. *--*