PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Cloud's role in FFT?

Crossblades
03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Just curious

Cylest
03-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Just add another element of gameplay I would say. You don't HAVE to get him...it just gives you something to do after you've mastered your final party. I've never completely mastered Cloud though...got him up to level 70 though. anyway, Cloud being in Tactics has no relevance to the story line of Tactics. Perhaps it was an advertisement for FFVII? Who knows.

DocFrance
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Random cameo.

RedCydranth
03-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Cloud's appearance in FFT is, to me, an answer to what happened to him while in the lifestream. After being engulfed in the lifestream Cloud mentioned that it took him to a far away place (or something like that) and Ivalice was the place in question... that's just my take.

BG-57
03-08-2005, 09:42 PM
It's certainly cute to see a reprise of the first time he meets Aeris.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Cross-dressing references

dodhungry
03-08-2005, 10:06 PM
I think it is kind of interesting to see Cloud in the game because FF7 and Tactics both came out in 1997.

vireblaze
03-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Cloud's appearance in FFT is, to me, an answer to what happened to him while in the lifestream. After being engulfed in the lifestream Cloud mentioned that it took him to a far away place (or something like that) and Ivalice was the place in question... that's just my take.

Hey! Yeah! You're on to something there! :O_O:

Kiwi Nazi
03-26-2005, 09:16 PM
after i get worker 8, what else do i do to get cloud? i've tried everything, well obviously not but still. I love the scene when you worker 8, it's hilarious

RedCydranth
03-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Kiwi: After you get worker 8, (you obviously have Beowulf and Reis right?) continue the storyline until you find the rumor about Nelveska temple and a robot. Once you get that rumor Nelveska will appear (before this you WILL come upon Aeris, buy her flower). Once Nelveska appears, go to Goug and you'll see a scene with Besrodio and a new gadget and need the Cancer stone. Now, go to Nelveska and you'll face Worker 7. (make sure to get the secret items on each of the pillars there, as this is the only time you will battle here) Once you defeat worker 7, Reis will be human. Now that thats done and you have the Cancer stone go back to goug and cloud will appear. He will then run off. Go to the city where you bought the flower to find Cloud getting into trouble, recue him and he'll join you to find a way back to his world. Ultimately you never do, but you have Cloud on your team!

Tigmafuzz
03-26-2005, 11:19 PM
t

TurkSlayer
03-26-2005, 11:48 PM
I think its something for all the major fans of FF7 to look forward to when they play the game, so more of an add for FFT. And I believe RedCydranths right, though it something a lot of other people think as well.

Navydav
03-27-2005, 01:24 AM
I got him in my party once but after he leveled up for a little while he just ended up leaving my party! I was thinking man, I went through all that trouble to find him and he just leaves.

RedCydranth
03-27-2005, 02:13 AM
The only way he leaves is if you tell him to... You messed up or something.

Alder
03-27-2005, 02:54 AM
I thought it was probably just a cameo to cross-promote FFVII. Personally I would have rather got a character from FFIV or FFVI in FFT.

It would be badass to get Cecil, or Terra.

RedCydranth
03-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Cecil would be a standard Lancer and Terra would be like a Knight with sub Black Magic.

I think Cloud was a decent character. Another cool character from the regular FF series (7 or before) would be Strago, the Blue Mage. His entire Blue Magic skill would be based off of Enemy Skills and you CAN'T learn from friendly monsters.

NAyhow, I hardly think FF7 needed the publicity from Tactics, it was more like the other way around. All the FF7 fanboys would learn that Cloud was a character and buy Tactics on that premise. But, most people buy games for better reason than :Hey, Cloud is in it!"... But that's Ehrgeiz's whole speil so... I dunno.

Navydav
03-27-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't know. All I do now I got him up there pretty high and he started making comments about his head and just left. Does that mean you can't keep him once he gets to a certain level?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 05:03 PM
If a unit's Brave goes under 6 or his Faith goes over 94, he will leave the party. Best to avoid that.

Navydav
03-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Oh I see. So if they become too scared or too religious they leave the party?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
That's the idea, yeah.

Dignified Pauper
03-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Cecil would be a standard Lancer and Terra would be like a Knight with sub Black Magic.

No, Cecil would be a Knight with white magic... Kain would have been a lancer. Terra could be anything, since she could be in FFVI.

I like the addage about Cloud ending up in a different world due to the lifestream, and he does say he needs to find a way back to his world, perhaps beating Ajora sends him back to his world.

TurkSlayer
03-28-2005, 02:56 AM
NAyhow, I hardly think FF7 needed the publicity from Tactics, it was more like the other way around. All the FF7 fanboys would learn that Cloud was a character and buy Tactics on that premise. But, most people buy games for better reason than :Hey, Cloud is in it!"... But that's Ehrgeiz's whole speil so... I dunno.

Thats pretty much what I said.

RedCydranth
03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
No, Cecil would be a Knight with white magic... Kain would have been a lancer. Terra could be anything, since she could be in FFVI.

I like the addage about Cloud ending up in a different world due to the lifestream, and he does say he needs to find a way back to his world, perhaps beating Ajora sends him back to his world.

True about Cecil and Kain, my bad. But Terra is stuck usind swords in FF6. Meaning she is a knight. The only other class that can use the good swords (without Equip Sword) is Geomancer and I never saw Terra use any Geomancing in FF6. Her 'squire' class may be like:

Magic Knight

Abilities:
Cure
Cure 2
Fire
Fire 2
Fire 3
Esuna
Raise
Life Drain
Dispel Magic
Raise 2
Holy
Petrify
Demi
Flare
Ultima (Learnable like Ramza)
Morph

I based that off of her skillset from FF6. Those are the spells she learns without Esper assistance (Some are reworded to FFT spell names like Quartr = Demi and Life = Raise etc.)

Morph would double her speed, magic and attack for 1 turn and its would consume 1/2 her total MP.

Alder
03-30-2005, 08:28 AM
True about Cecil and Kain, my bad. But Terra is stuck usind swords in FF6. Meaning she is a knight. The only other class that can use the good swords (without Equip Sword) is Geomancer and I never saw Terra use any Geomancing in FF6. Her 'squire' class may be like:

Magic Knight

Abilities:
Cure
Cure 2
Fire
Fire 2
Fire 3
Esuna
Raise
Life Drain
Dispel Magic
Raise 2
Holy
Petrify
Demi
Flare
Ultima (Learnable like Ramza)
Morph

I based that off of her skillset from FF6. Those are the spells she learns without Esper assistance (Some are reworded to FFT spell names like Quartr = Demi and Life = Raise etc.)

Morph would double her speed, magic and attack for 1 turn and its would consume 1/2 her total MP.

That would be pretty cool, if she had good stats.

Okay, the character from an earlier FF that I would want in FFT, would be Mog. He'd be able to equip spears and he'd have a unique skillset of dances... like a Dancer's dances, but more powerful. I think that would be neat.

KainTheDragoon09
03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
I think you get Cloud because, well, I dunno. It Is kewl gettinn cloud in ur party, even tho he starts out at Level 1, he raises lvs fast and is AWESOME when he is above the 70's. But to answer ur question, i dunno....

Destination0
04-01-2005, 01:29 AM
There is only one role for cloud in FFT and i.e. to attract diehard FFVII fans

RedCydranth
04-01-2005, 02:36 AM
thats an improper usage of i.e... But you are correct.

zpforter
04-17-2005, 09:35 PM
i thought it was cool that you could get cloud in your party in FFT. his limit breaks took forever to learn and even longer to actually execute on the battle field. he was still a great addition to the game. they should have made him a more important character....or given him a sub plot to do.

Hartigan
04-27-2005, 01:39 AM
he has no role, except being at lvl 1 when you get him at almost the end of the game >< thankfull you got nerds liek me that are willing to lvl him anyways

Koryiaki
05-06-2005, 04:54 PM
*blinks* i loved ehrgeiz.....fun fighting game and dungeon mode was awesome *misses it*. But yah, cloud is there for looks if not to add another type of charecter. As for the terrra issue, just give her ALL magic (the skill the ''sorceror'' class has [id explain that but dont feel like doin a spoiler]) as well as all the knight abilities, and morph would have to be longer than one round because after using morph, and moving, thats the one turn -_-. As for mog, yah, thatd be awesome, have dances that do elements, or element damage or wutever, and since it changes the scenery, have it change all pannels to a certain type or layout.....mog+geomancers = death. Oh any spoiler questions, how the hell do you get on those pillers? (i use beowulf and with move find item, there is no way up there[unless i ride chocobo but move find item doesnt seem to work on chocobo]) and i heard somewhere that lower brave = higher chance of finding item, is that true?

Masamuneˇ1600
05-06-2005, 07:19 PM
As for the terrra issue, just give her ALL magic (the skill the ''sorceror'' class has [id explain that but dont feel like doin a spoiler]) as well as all the knight abilities, and morph would have to be longer than one round because after using morph, and moving, thats the one turn -_-.

Well, using that reasoning, Cloud should have every spell in addition to his Limit set, since materia allowed for full customization. However, he was restricted. Similarly, rather than give Terra every spell, (or the Sorcerer's ability set All Magic, which includes things like Dark Holy), it makes sense to give her spells that would make her useful, without being overpowered. The spells that RedCydranth listed were noted because those were the spells Terra learned independent of Esper assistance; a certain spell would be gained at particular levels.

Oh any spoiler questions, how the hell do you get on those pillers? (i use beowulf and with move find item, there is no way up there[unless i ride chocobo but move find item doesnt seem to work on chocobo]) and i heard somewhere that lower brave = higher chance of finding item, is that true?

I assume you're referring to the pillars at Nelveska Temple. The most common strategy for obtaining the items at the top of the pillars is to move Worker 8 next to one, then move a character with at least Jump 4 on top of Worker 8. Proceed from there to the top of the pillar. Repeat for the other pillar. On top of one of the pillars is an Escutcheon, and on top of the other is a Javelin. However, this is deceptive. You can either get the extremely weak equipment, or the best spear and shield in the game (names remain the same). You can tell which is which by appearance. The good Escutcheon appears golden, and the good Javelin looks much different from its counterpart.

Lower Brave doesn't translate to better chance of finding an item, exactly. However, the idea is similar. The lower one's Brave, the better the chance of getting the rare item. The exact formula is:

(100% chance of getting the rare item) - (Brave).

In other words, if the character with Move-Find Item has a Brave of 60, they have a 40% chance of finding the rare item. A character equipped with Move-Find Item will always find an item on initially moving to the panel; it's a matter of chance whether they get the preferred item. Rafa is often used to find items, because her Brave statistic starts very low.

Koryiaki
05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
oh ok, thanks, i completely forgot that you could walk on worker eight, never even thought of that as i rarely use him so hes lvl 70 and the monsters are 99 (commen level of my charecters) well thanks for the reminder. :D

Riddle Master
05-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I'd like to address the 'Lifestream Theory' on how Cloud arrives in Ivalice if I may. I find it highly unlikely that this is the explanation for Cloud's arrival.

First, there is no evidence that the Lifestream is a gateway for time travel in FFVII. Unless I am mistaken, the Lifestream is the coalescence of all deceased life on the Planet, which in turn maintains a sense of homeostasis on the Planet, maintaining balance and integrity. This is why the Lifestream aided (or strove against) Holy at the ending of FFVII to stop the imminent destruction of the Planet. Basically, the Lifestream is a kind of glue that keeps the Planet together in some respects. Yes, physical beings can make contact with the Lifestream, and be inadvertantly 'swept up' in it. However, following the logic supplied from FFVII, Lifestreams probably exist in every world within the Universe (that caters life) and they are probably governed by a set of physical laws. And so, the Lifestream in question that exists on the Planet where FFVII occurs is restricted to that particular planet. The events that occur in FFT are certainly not occuring simultaneously as the events of FFVII unless it is a different planet. So...in order for the Lifestream to act as a vehicle for Cloud to travel from the Planet to Ivalice, and vice versa, the Lifestream must be able to either cross over between worlds, or be able to access different time periods.

Secondly, if the Lifestream were to 'cross-over' to another world, say, the one where Ivalice exists, that would require tremendous energy. This energy loss could *possibly* cause damage to the Planet. Remember when Bugenhagen shows the animation of the Planet dying as a consequence of the Lifestream being drained away by Shinra? A similar fate could come to pass if the Lifestream leapt from one planet to another. It all depends on distance of course, but the farther the planet in question is away, the more energy loss would occur. And also, what would act as a catalyst for this event to occur? Cloud certainly didn't expect to end up in Ivalice, indicating that the event was either an accident or a terrible mistake. And what purpose would the Lifestream have in transporting Cloud to Ivalice? Ramza & Co. would have defeated Ajora and the Zodiac Braves without Cloud.

Thirdly, if the Lifestream could in fact transport a living being back in time, then why doesn't Cloud travel back in time and save Aeris?

*The best thing that you guys have going for this theory is that Aeris somehow made it to Ivalice...alive. I can't really explain that.

Just my two cents.

BG-57
05-18-2005, 08:43 PM
I agree that the Lifestream isn't responsible for bringing him to Ivalice. For one thing it's the machine powered by the Zodiac stone that draws him across.

However I believe that Cloud is traveling through space, not through time.

As for Aeris, I think she's a parallel Aeris. That is, she's the version of Aeris that exists in the dimension of Ivalice. It seems unlikely that her resemblance to Aeris is purely coincidental considering her name and profession.

It raises the possibilities of there being a parallel Cloud as well. I would have loved to see Cloud meeting himself. That would have been fun. :D

Riddle Master
05-19-2005, 03:40 AM
I disagree that the 'flower girl' that exists in Ivalice is a parallel Aeris. That would make absolutely no sense. Cloud possibly did travel through space instead of time, but he certainly didn't travel to 'another dimension.' If it is in fact another dimension, where are all of the other people from the Planet? Do they also have parallels? Where is Vincent, Rufus, Reno, Rude, Elena, Cid, Barret, Marlene, etc.? I suppose that they could all exist and be disguised by the apparell of Ivalice and the times, but why would Aeris dress EXACTLY as she did in FFVII, have exactly the same style hairdo, etc.? I'm sorry, but that explanation for Aeris being in Ivalice doesn't add up.

.:Blaze:.
05-19-2005, 04:23 AM
The Q? on why didnt cloud go back in time to save he is maby becouse you cant controll where it sends you whin/if it douse :greenie:

BG-57
05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Any explanation for why Aeris is there is going to sound far fetched. I think we can rule out coincidence.

There are several possibilities:

a) Ivalice is the same Planet as FFVII at different times. That would mean that the Lifestream could be involved and that Cloud traveled through time, either future or past. Most likely that Aeris would be a reincarnation if this was the case. However, the geography and city names don't match.

b) Ivalice is on a different planet but at the same time. It would be hard to explain how there could be two Aeris' at the same time, unless they were completely different people. Possible but unlikely.

c) Ivalice is on a different planet at different times. That would account for how Aeris could exist on both, but how would her soul travel between planets if the Lifestream stays put?

d) Ivalice is a parallel dimension. So people could exist in both in parallel planets and be unaware of each other. Very popular with science fiction writers. We only see a small fraction of the world in Tactics. There are other countries we don't get to visit, so it doesn't rule out other parallel people.

Of course she's really there because the game designers wanted a cute re-enactment of the scene where Cloud meets Aeris. If she wasn't included there wouldn't need to be elaborate explanations. :rolleyes2