PDA

View Full Version : The downside to being European

tomamar04
03-08-2005, 07:03 PM
There are many advantages living in Europe, nice weather, not too hot not too cold, a area of the world where many cultures come together, football, no G.W.Bush, etc...

But there is one BIG downside...Eurovision...

Sweden votes for Denmark, and Norway and Finland, and what a surprise Spain voted for Portugal, and Portugal voted for Spain. Austria of course votes for Germany and Germany returns the favour, Greece and Turkey vote for Cyprus, while the Balkan countries vote for each other. Russia votes for the ex-Soviet states and they vote for Russia, Belgium votes for Holland, UK votes for Ireland. Oh and it's full of camp singers singing crap songs.

If you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, don't worry...you're one of the lucky ones...

Pure Strife
03-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I do wonder why it's always pop-singers, why can't bands enter? Everyone loves Coldplay except me, let's send Coldplay or Radiohead or Muse or Feeder. We might at least get some votes for doing something different.

Chris
03-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Europeans were the only ones who could handle disco ...

... and that's a fact.

boris no no
03-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Europeans were the only ones who could handle disco ...

... and that's a fact.
yeah! *funks* :cool:
notice that we never send anyone thats much good? like muse - fantastic!
or someone else!
noone votes for england since tony got his head stuck up someones bum....

Psychotic
03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Eurovision is great, purely because it's so terrible.

Rainecloud
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Eurovision is great, purely because it's so terrible.

And everyone knows it. And everyone still watches it.

:thumb:

jrgen
03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Good bands wouldn't sink as low as performing in the Eurovision Song Contest.
Even though it always sucks,
I always find it moderately interesting to see what the different countries send.

Destai
03-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Like when Russia sent TaTu. They had a single out but they were 17 so they managed to get in. If they won they planned on performing naked. They came VERY close to first.

Chris
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
We (Europeans) never got Final Fantasy Tactics.

:mad2:

Chaos
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Ain't us Brits sending Jordan to be our representive for Eurovision.

*shudder*

Our entry last year was PAINFUL. We got no votes - seriously....it was....a shame.
I guess this year if Jordan goes, no-one will be paying any attention to her song.

Eurovision is funny.

Chaos

Destai
03-08-2005, 11:00 PM
We (Europeans) never got Final Fantasy Tactics.

:mad2: or Xeno gears, Xenosaga, Xenosaga episode II, Chrono trigger, Chrono cross...

Chris
03-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Look at the bright side: We don't have that stick-in-the-mudd BUSH.

Destai
03-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah I guess that and everything that comes with having little to do with him is good enough.

Chris
03-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Those Americans have: Plenty o' nuttin' !

Did I say that right? :D

gokufusionss1
03-09-2005, 12:07 AM
i'm glad i'm not european.

Chris
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
i'm glad i'm not european.

What's that?

:shifty:

~red.foxx~
03-09-2005, 01:00 AM
i wish that i was american england is so booooooring and cold :fpcold:

~red.foxx~
03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
and the gov sucks big time :D

lordblazer
03-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Don't come to america but if you do .Dont come to oklahoma unless your ready to face the wraith of the tornado's!!!

~red.foxx~
03-09-2005, 01:49 AM
i could do with some excitement i've only experienced a hurricane and i was just about to be born so i guess that doesn't count :D

failureBYdesign
03-09-2005, 02:02 AM
I've always been jelous of the accents

~red.foxx~
03-09-2005, 02:05 AM
im jealous of your accent mine is too brittish!

The Captain
03-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Is Eurovision sort of like the American Idol stuff that we in the states have and mostly suffer through as well?

Take care all.

lordblazer
03-09-2005, 02:30 AM
i could do with some excitement i've only experienced a hurricane and i was just about to be born so i guess that doesn't count :D
I survived an F5 tornado. and I was 12 at the time so that counts hahaha.I wish I was in europe.Nice fair weather.Doesnt get 110 degrees outside and no wind blows like it does in oklahoma.

Doc Sark
03-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Our entry last year was PAINFUL. We got no votes - seriously....it was....a shame.
I guess this year if Jordan goes, no-one will be paying any attention to her song.

We did get votes man! Fame Academy's James Fox came 17th with a song I can't remember. it was painful though. BTW, Javine will be going to the Eurovision and hopefully she'll pop out of her skimpy dress on live T.V again. That was sweet.

Is Eurovision sort of like the American Idol stuff that we in the states have and mostly suffer through as well?

First off, I'm pretty sure Pop Idol is a British concept and we have been suffering longer. Simon Fuller came up with the idea and American Idol is one of it's many spin offs.

Basically Eurovision has been around for about 40 years and it's a song contest where something like 20 countries make it to a final and then comes massively biased political voting from each country to decide the winner. The songs, with very few exceptions, are cheesey, crappy, poppy, poopy, experiments in shizzle. If you can catch it on some random American cable channel, you should, just for the experience.

The Captain
03-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Ah, so it's closer to American Bandstand, minus the band aspect?

"First off, I'm pretty sure Pop Idol is a British concept and we have been suffering longer. Simon Fuller came up with the idea and American Idol is one of it's many spin offs."

That makes sense. Just about every reality show that the USA has was 'borrowed' from Europe as well.

Thanks for the info good sir!

Take care all.

~red.foxx~
03-09-2005, 03:24 AM
reality tv is really uggh make it stop!!

~red.foxx~
03-09-2005, 03:27 AM
I survived an F5 tornado. and I was 12 at the time so that counts hahaha.I wish I was in europe.Nice fair weather.Doesnt get 110 degrees outside and no wind blows like it does in oklahoma.
fair weather are you nuts we've just had blizzard conditions and its spring :confused:

Doc Sark
03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Dude, find the "edit" button.

MJN SEIFER
03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm English and I used to vote for france (Wether they where good or crap - I like the french hence forth I vote for them) But Now...I stopped caring I'm not gonna watch it

boris no no
03-09-2005, 08:04 PM
the one in england? along the south coast? i was in that! :cool:

anyone remember about 3 years ago Greece (i think) had an act were they were all dressed in tin foil and playing those eighties hand keyboards....
that was the coolest thing i've ever seen! :cool:
god bless eurovision! it will always be in our hearts! :love:

Doc Sark
03-09-2005, 08:19 PM
anyone remember about 3 years ago Greece (i think) had an act were they were all dressed in tin foil and playing those eighties hand keyboards....
that was the coolest thing i've ever seen!
god bless eurovision! it will always be in our hearts!

YES!!!! That was one of the worst things I have ever seen on live T.V. I was beginning to think I was imagining things because no one else remembered it!

tomamar04
03-17-2005, 11:51 AM
That's why we always lose, our perfromers aren't camp enough.

gokufusionss1
03-17-2005, 12:14 PM
you say that despite the continued availabilty of dale winton.

Doc Sark
03-17-2005, 12:37 PM
...and Paul O'Grady.

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Hahaha cool you guys live in England...i think thats cool, its a pretty cool country i think.

tomamar04
03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Depends what your opinion of cool is...

But I know for a fact England is cooler than Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Greiver205
03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Dont say that...i have nothing against no country...I dont think US is better than any country because you no wat its not...I respect every country the same

K-chan
03-24-2005, 09:17 PM

But I know for a fact England is cooler than Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Its a fact. England is the best because of Manchester United and everyone knows it

Lankyman
03-24-2005, 09:28 PM
oh dear, Manchester United...what is the world coming to?
Shame on you ;)

Greiver205
04-08-2005, 01:16 AM
whats Manchester United ????

gokufusionss1
04-08-2005, 09:19 AM
manchester united is the devils representation on earth.

tomamar04
04-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Manchester United are the world's biggest sports team/money making corporation.

And Old Trafford is the closet thing to heaven on Earth (until Wembley is reopened).

Heath
04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Manchester United are the world's biggest sports team/money making corporation.

And Old Trafford is the closet thing to heaven on Earth (until Wembley is reopened).

Kinda ironic considering one of Manchester United's nicknames is "The Devils", eh?

I don't pay any attention to Eurovision, no decent songs or performers really spring to mind, and basically only found the countless excuses for Britain's "0 point" performance amusing.

Destai
04-08-2005, 02:40 PM

But I know for a fact England is cooler than Scotland, Wales and Ireland.*buzzer* WRONG

Loony BoB
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Let's not turn this into a "England vs. Celtic Nations" war or anything like it, please. =P

On a sidenote, Pop Idol I believe was a British concept based on Pop Stars, which was something that was done in NZ and then Australia and then the UK. New Zealand had the worst result of a band, Aussie's wasn't much better and, as anyone would expect, the UK had actual decent singers and therefore it took off like a rocket.

Eurovision is something I have never really paid attention to. I think that the UK (or England, I don't know for sure) is sending Jordan over is kind of funny. Maybe they just wanted her out of the country for a little while.

Destai
04-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Let's not turn this into a "England vs. Celtic Nations" war or anything like it, please. =P

On a sidenote, Pop Idol I believe was a British concept based on Pop Stars, which was something that was done in NZ and then Australia and then the UK. New Zealand had the worst result of a band, Aussie's wasn't much better and, as anyone would expect, the UK had actual decent singers and therefore it took off like a rocket.

Eurovision is something I have never really paid attention to. I think that the UK (or England, I don't know for sure) is sending Jordan over is kind of funny. Maybe they just wanted her out of the country for a little while.
I was kidding Bob :p Iwasnt gonna turn this into one of my rants :greenie:

Nod
04-08-2005, 03:42 PM

I'm kinda embarrassed that I know this but.....actually, Javine will be representing the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest. There was a competition held a while ago and Javine beat Jordan for the 'honour'.

I do wonder why it's always pop-singers, why can't bands enter? Everyone loves Coldplay except me, let's send Coldplay or Radiohead or Muse or Feeder. We might at least get some votes for doing something different.

There is the possibility of sending these bands over there!
but they have to WANT to do it.
And i mean, seriously, no band is gonna want to do that because there is always the possibility they might LOSE!! Inevitably to some act dressed in tin-foil or whatever. :D

Maxico
04-08-2005, 05:08 PM
the UK had actual decent singers

I would have to dissagree with you on that one.

Heath
04-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Don't we all want her out of the country for a little while?

Cuchulainn
04-09-2005, 02:43 PM
The biggest downfalls of being European are;
1. Join the Euro or be Economically ignored
2. Being the first ones hit when Germany decides to Rock N Roll again
3. Tight Pants=Low Sperm Count
4. Eurovision Song Contest.
5. Having to wait to Last for Video Game/Movie releases
6. Having to smell the French when It's particularly windy
7. Drunk Union Jack-Wearing English Twats on holiday
8. No Taco Bell
9. The Weather & If you want to go to a European Destination That's Hot, See No. 7
10. Alan Titsmarsh & Charlie Dimmock & their European Clones

Of course, all that is bearable because we get to witness the greatest Football the world has to offer :D

Greiver205
04-10-2005, 07:31 PM
LOL thats Funny...Do you really have no Taco Bell :eek:...that sucks, thats like my favorite fast food place...anyway, oh so thats wat Manchester United is, thank you people who answered my question...hmmm well i still think Europe is cool...