PDA

View Full Version : Snake eating in the UK baby

Pure Strife
03-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Things I noticed since the release of MGS3 in the uk:

1. It's incredibly difficult.
2. I suck at it.
3. It's one of the best games I have ever played.

After all the whining I've been hearing about it, I thought it may suck, but no. Apart from being rather bad at the sneaking about (thanks in no small part to some idiot putting a rather tasty shotgun in there) I have been enjoying this game non-stop since it's release. Sure, I thought the name "Snake Eater" was some kind of sexual innuendo from Kojima, and sure, I thought Metal Gear in a jungle would be stupid, but it is in fact kick-ass. Everyone go play it.

Psychotic
03-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Got it today, and I have to say: What the heck is up with the Bond-style opening sequence? :laugh:

Also to hell with sneaking. I never do that on MGS games. I kill everyone I see. Admittedly stealthily. Well, I fire a tranq into their face then slash them to death with a knife, but there you go.

Rainecloud
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Also to hell with sneaking. I never do that on MGS games. I kill everyone I see.

As do I.

Question: are there less cut-scenes this time round, or is the game 90% story like the last two? Although I "enjoyed" Metal Gear Solid I & II, I'm holding off buying Snake Eater because I don't want to sit through another 6+ hours of boring dialogue. I'd rather sneak around and hide in lockers.

So, would you recommend it?

Pure Strife
03-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Well your Fox Hound/Dead Cell type bosses get all of thirty seconds of dialogue each, so that cuts the amount of verbal yammering immensely. There are a LOT less codec/radio convos than in 2, it's very much visually driven cut-scene wise. There are naturally two or three painfully long cutscenes, but most of these are very interesting and contain a lot of action, I think I only got bored of two cut-scenes in this one, as opposed to fifty or so in 2, and that was only cause they were all talking with little to no action.

So yeah, its MGS so it's going to have a lot of story, it just happens to have a lot less than the others whilst still being damn cool and having far better action cut scenes.

Rainecloud
03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
So yeah, its MGS so it's going to have a lot of story, it just happens to have a lot less than the others whilst still being damn cool and having far better action cut scenes.

Sounds like an improvement. I'll probably buy it now. Thanks.

Cz
03-09-2005, 07:08 PM
There's a real lack of decent PS2 software at the moment, so I'll definitely be getting MGS3 at some point in the near future. It's a little disappointing to hear that the sneaking has been dumbed-down somewhat, but it should still be an excellent game, and that's all that matters.

Psychotic
03-09-2005, 07:15 PM
From what I've played, the sneaking hasn't really been dumbed down at all. You can do all the same moves as before, and there's many new ways to distract the guards, like throwing crabs at them.

Heartless Shadow
03-09-2005, 07:16 PM
i completed it yesterday it rocks.I thought it was a bit short but loved the boss's espesially The End

Maxico
03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I got it too but one thing troubles me... I got shot twice... in the face... and then proceeded to extract the bullets with a knife... Now something there doesnt seem right to me.

Cz
03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
From what I've played, the sneaking hasn't really been dumbed down at all. You can do all the same moves as before, and there's many new ways to distract the guards, like throwing crabs at them.What kind of cra... *stabbed in the neck*

Psychotic
03-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Kenyan crabs, I think.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-09-2005, 09:46 PM
I managed to give one of the guards crabs.

Herpes too.

Big D
03-10-2005, 03:35 AM
It doesn't arrive in my country until next Friday; I've had it on pre-order for a few weeks now.

It's going to be great, I think. Reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive. I've got a demo that came with last month's Australian PS2 Magazine. Not a playable demo - we haven't had one of those - but a rolling demo comprised of numerous cut-scenes, albeit all in Japanese, with Japanese subtitles. I find it rather amusing to listen to 1960s Russian, British and American Special Forces all chatting to each other in fluent Japanese. Fortunately, the non-English dialogue reduced the number of spoilers from that demo... though it was a pity to see a lot of key characters and events in advance.

I'm greatly looking forward to the full game, though. Apparently the Australasian PAL release has a few bonus features that weren't in the US and Japanese release.

Maxico
03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
The PAL vesion has some extras but its not much. You get some face paint made to look like flags and a mode where you can fight the bosses seperatly.

Heartless Shadow
03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
hey once you complete mgs 3 go to this page and click secret theater for some funny clips made by the mgs3 team http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs3/english/index.html

just curious but did anyone apart from me wonder where the hell the original mgs theme tune went?

Dreddz
03-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Anyone think the game is scary at all
There some bits were its kinda freaky.Like that fear guy.Or the old man in the chair.Thinks hes the end.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-13-2005, 04:24 PM
The Metal Gear Solid theme is still part of the soundtrack. It plays during the closing cut scenes and part of the credits.

Psychotic
03-13-2005, 04:27 PM
An old-timey version of it also plays on the radio when you meet Granin. The Metal Gear Solid theme is a brilliant song, if you ask me. My favourite version of it has to be the Skateboarding rock version of it from Substance, though.

The MGS theme is like the Final Fantasy theme. It only plays rarely, but when you hear it it's just...great.

Maxico
03-13-2005, 05:30 PM
This game needs to win some sort of award as the first game in which you can kill ghosts with a fork.

Dreddz
03-17-2005, 07:39 PM
It's a little disappointing to hear that the sneaking has been dumbed-down somewhat, but it should still be an excellent game, and that's all that matters.

The sneaking is more vital in this game than the prevous ones.
The camo is a great feature as well plus this game is very hardcore.
Theres no Radar even in Really easy.Completed it in normal now im on to Europeon Extreme. Damn thats hard

Cless
03-18-2005, 03:21 AM
What I think:
-Sneaking in this is much harder than in previous editions.
-Bosses in this are easier than in previous editions. I was very dissappointed with some of them.
-This game is larger than the other two MGS's.
-Best moments in the game: Battle with The End and the chase scene
-It's great! :love:

NM
03-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Well I think MGS3 is a great game, but I think it suffers in the camera angle deparment. Sneaking is the aim of the game after all, and checking to see whats around you in 1st person view every few steps is a pain in the arse in certain areas.

Cless
03-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I can see how it could be irritating but I actually liked it once I'd gotten used to it. I think it just encouages one to play more cautiously, and I feel makes the game a bit more tense, because the camera angles (combined with the no-show of the radar system) leave you feeling a bit more vulnerable. And, you can swoop them 'round a bit with the right anolouge stick.

So, I actually liked the camera system. Thought it made the sneaking more "edgy" or something.