PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft (oh yeah! XD) & some other schtuff [A]

Luthien Rogue
03-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Did this last night while I waited for Squalleh to get home. The right boot and left thigh aren't finished, obviously. >.< I used an Angelina Jolie reference pic, but decided not to do a realistic pic for a change. :\ Took about 3-4 hours. Drawn on artist quality paper with a 2B mechanical penicl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/GreenTara/lara444.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/GreenTara/Laraava.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/GreenTara/lara2.jpg

(Yeah, looks like I got carried away with her chest XD)

This one was drawn for my dad from Frank Frazetta's 'Death Dealer'... it's old, though... did it when I was 12... so don't laugh... :\ Drawn one night while I was bored on artist quality paper, using a 9B pencil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/GreenTara/Art/Death_dealer.jpg

Yeah, I guess that's it for now. <.< >.> :D

Wilhelm III
03-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Wow, I really like the Lara Croft!

Rye
03-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Those are excellent. :D

kikimm
03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Wow. They're all very, very good, but I really like the Death Dealer one. I'd be extremely proud of that if I drew it.

So yeah, keep it up. ^_^

:D

Gunblades
03-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I personally prefer your DeathDealer over your Croft because the picture looks like you have a good (very good if you were 12) control of your pencil. Thats the thing that takes alot of practise for most people and you either have it when your born or you dont.
I admit, i carnt remember what franks original looked like, but it doesnt matter because yours stands out on it's own. It's personal preferance weather people like a lighter picture, or they like the deep heavy shading you have done - have you seen Mike Mignolas work, very dark and bold use of shadow. Some might not like that heavy shading but i think it suits the style your developing
The bit i like the best is the birds in the corner and the breath coming from the hoarses mouth (or noose lol), it's those little elements that can give a picture motion.

For me, one of the best parts of your Croft picture is the Lips because Jolie has whopping lips and they LOOK like hers, only you know if thats good or not. I cannot say you got anything wrong because i have been looking through my old Todd Mcfarlane Spiderman issues and gee, he drew some terrible pictures but they sold well :) What i can say is that through personal experiance, i think your still searching for your own style, like a singer searchs for their own voice. Some parts of your drawing come across more confidently than others, thats not a weakness, it me comparing what you got out of the DeathDealer image compared to the Croft one. I personally like smooth lines and Crofts arms arent smooth, but then neather are FrankMillers and he created BatMan dark knight returns. Your deathdealer is coverd in smooth lines.

have you considerd Inking?

Luthien Rogue
03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
I personally prefer your DeathDealer over your Croft because the picture looks like you have a good (very good if you were 12) control of your pencil.

It's one of the few pieces that I still like after so many years. :P

I admit, i carnt remember what franks original looked like, but it doesnt matter because yours stands out on it's own.

I always try to compare my work to other's. If it doesn't look like the original I'm not happy with it and, yes, I know that is really stupid. <.<

have you seen Mike Mignolas work, very dark and bold use of shadow.

Can't say that I have, but it sounds like I'd like it. :P I'll try and find some.

Some might not like that heavy shading but i think it suits the style your developing
The bit i like the best is the birds in the corner and the breath coming from the hoarses mouth (or noose lol), it's those little elements that can give a picture motion.

See, I don't have a style. :P I have no idea what I want my style to be. The DD pic was just copying someon's style.

For me, one of the best parts of your Croft picture is the Lips because Jolie has whopping lips and they LOOK like hers, only you know if thats good or not.

Of COURSE that's a good thing. ;) I used a pic of Miss Jolie from TR for reference so that makes me happy. :P

I cannot say you got anything wrong because i have been looking through my old Todd Mcfarlane Spiderman issues and gee, he drew some terrible pictures but they sold well

o.o That is the most hurtful thing anyone has ever said to me. XD Thank you for reassuring me that I can sell crap. XD (although I do agree about his old art... have you seen the original Spwan sketches? <.< >.> )

What i can say is that through personal experiance, i think your still searching for your own style, like a singer searchs for their own voice.

*Ding ding* You win 50 dolla.

I personally like smooth lines and Crofts arms arent smooth, but then neather are FrankMillers and he created BatMan dark knight returns. Your deathdealer is coverd in smooth lines.

Yeah, I can't decide what I like better. :\ I TRIED to make the lines on the pic of Lara more rigid and schtuff. I like seeing bones and stuff so I think that's why I did it. <.>

have you considerd Inking?

*is scared of the ink* :3 I've inked before but I like the pencil because I can erase my many, many mistakes. :P

Agent Proto
03-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Oh snap. That's pretty sweet. I love the shading you've done! That's very clean and crisp. You should finish Lara's other boot though. It's almost finished though.

Just a question, how'd you get it done without any smearing? I've always want to know, but I always smear my drawing no matter what.

Luthien Rogue
03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Just a question, how'd you get it done without any smearing? I've always want to know, but I always smear my drawing no matter what.

I just put a the picture I was drawing from underneath my hand. :P

You can also buy hand/arm supports at art stores. Or, just take a long piece of wood, stick another small piece on one end, and use that to rest your hand on. :D

Miriel
03-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Beautiful work. :)

Gunblades
03-12-2005, 09:54 AM
see, being happy with it, thats how you judge your own artwork. If you like it then others will also, even if your hailed as the best artist in the world, theres still gonna be people who dont like your work and people who want to tear you down. I was Self tought, no teachers anywhere and i learnt by copying from the likes of Jim Lee, eventually you begin to make up your own poses and if you try hard enough your own style emerges.

Mike Mignola mostly works for DarkHoarse comics and draws/rites his own comic called HellBoy. At first glance i didnt like his work, but when you read it as well as look at it it takes on a cinimatic feel.

Okay, first lesson (thwak goes the cain lol), it's impossible to copy someone elses style. You can try to draw the picture like they did, but your not them, so you carnt build the same skeleton that thier piccy was built on, you canrt erase the same details that they did that they werent happy with, little traits that are a part of their subconsouis you carnt do naturtally because your doing it form your head and not theirs. So no matter what you copy, it's still YOUR work thats developing, just like taking a knife to a peice of wood and whittling.
You begin to whittle, making the same shape as them, and every so often you find things that are easier to draw a differnt way or you prefer the look of, thats a little bit of wood you trimmmed off untill eventually your drawing the whole picture in your own style.
I didnt know what my style was going to be untill i got it, you only get a faint very faint clue from what things you enjoy drawing.

(spawn sketchs), no, i only started with issue one and stopped at issue 81, if you go back to issue one onwards or the venom saga of spiderman turner draws Spidys face very very long and it doesnt look right, but it did to alot of people, thats why you carnt get art wrong, because it's all personal tastes, you can only get what you wanted to achive wrong.

Thre you go, i hate seeing bones, for one thing i hate women so skinny you can see their bones, it's unatractive and i know from teaching and fighting women that skinny girls get tired faster, they dont have as much stamina or speed or grip etc. BUT you like seeing bones, so how could i tell you you were wrong, i couldnt and no one else could. I draw tons of detail when i think it's needed, but i became a master of only useing detail that WAS needed, loads of people love my style (across the net) because i do things sexy and slightly gothic, but that didnt stop two dorks with an agenda telling me im not that good because i dont put enough detail in...i knew they were wrong because i was already in my own style, but thats what will happen

i too was once in fear of inking, it's a dangerous and scary tool, but once you tame it the world opens up to you and you never loose your ability with a pencil. It's an important move if you want to draw for anything similar to comic books and the fact your understanding shading early one will make it easier. Start by drawing a quick sketch, a simple picture, copy it if it's easier with not much shading, then take a everyday fineliner to it, try finding a very cheap, fibretip black pen, the smallest nib you can get (like an 0.4-0.6 is quite common) and just take the pen to it, drawing over all your lines, even shading in with it so you get blocks of deep black. It wont look like the blacks do on comics, you need to photocopy to get the blacks that smooth. Once youve inked leave the image for a quater hour and then come back to it with a rubber, the ink should be nice and dry and simply rub out all your sketch linesand you will have a clear crisp image. As long as you let your inks dry before you do any rubbing out you can erase all your pencil mistakes (just make sure you didnt ink them)

nik0tine
03-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Very nice.

Luthien Rogue
03-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Okay, first lesson (thwak goes the cain lol), it's impossible to copy someone elses style. You can try to draw the picture like they did, but your not them, so you carnt build the same skeleton that thier piccy was built on, you canrt erase the same details that they did that they werent happy with, little traits that are a part of their subconsouis you carnt do naturtally because your doing it form your head and not theirs. So no matter what you copy, it's still YOUR work thats developing, just like taking a knife to a peice of wood and whittling.
You begin to whittle, making the same shape as them, and every so often you find things that are easier to draw a differnt way or you prefer the look of, thats a little bit of wood you trimmmed off untill eventually your drawing the whole picture in your own style.
I didnt know what my style was going to be untill i got it, you only get a faint very faint clue from what things you enjoy drawing.

Allow me to correct myself: I was mimicking someone elses style. I was not drawing the way I normally would. I was simply trying to mimic an already existing picture.

(spawn sketchs), no, i only started with issue one and stopped at issue 81, if you go back to issue one onwards or the venom saga of spiderman turner draws Spidys face very very long and it doesnt look right, but it did to alot of people, thats why you carnt get art wrong, because it's all personal tastes, you can only get what you wanted to achive wrong.

*faints*

i too was once in fear of inking, it's a dangerous and scary tool, but once you tame it the world opens up to you and you never loose your ability with a pencil. It's an important move if you want to draw for anything similar to comic books and the fact your understanding shading early one will make it easier. Start by drawing a quick sketch, a simple picture, copy it if it's easier with not much shading, then take a everyday fineliner to it, try finding a very cheap, fibretip black pen, the smallest nib you can get (like an 0.4-0.6 is quite common) and just take the pen to it, drawing over all your lines, even shading in with it so you get blocks of deep black. It wont look like the blacks do on comics, you need to photocopy to get the blacks that smooth. Once youve inked leave the image for a quater hour and then come back to it with a rubber, the ink should be nice and dry and simply rub out all your sketch linesand you will have a clear crisp image. As long as you let your inks dry before you do any rubbing out you can erase all your pencil mistakes (just make sure you didnt ink them)

Ooooh. T_T Now I have to give this a try.

By the way, do you have an online gallery?

Gunblades
03-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Mimiking, copying is just as important because it makes your hands draw shapes your mind may not be ready to make them do, so by getting used to drawing them it teaches your motorfunctions how to control yourself doing what ever your doing.

well many people are scared of inking because they think it means brush's, but i only use a brush and pot of ink for doing mass black, alternativly, you can leave all the blacks white and then scan your image and put the blacks on digitally.

Actually im in the middle of creating a website, it's mostly done but i have to change some details now that i have had a creative idea, if you want to email me i will share some of my work with you. as well as loads of artist sites you may not know of :)

Az Lionheart
03-13-2005, 02:22 PM
you certainly have some tallent however i would like to see some with her or the guy on a horse in battle or moving...... :D