PDA

View Full Version : Favorue game storyline

Erdrick Holmes
03-10-2005, 02:59 AM
Which games has the best storyline ever?

Mine would have to be from the Guilty Gear series.

I know its a 2D fighter but at least look at the storyline

The 22nd Century..Mankind has finally succeeded in his dream of developing a natural, limitless source of energy supply. The development of this energy having stemmed from the discovery of ancient technologies long thought lost. Perhaps from the ancient atlantean civilizations. This limitless energy supply was so all engrossing and all encompassing that many began to refer to it as the return of magic..and as such it was no surprise that when the new age began to dawn many began to refer to it the Age of Magic. Science and Industry, the source of enviornmental pollution and weapons of mass destruction, were outlawed. Nations, as a group, began to turn away from the use of technology that was damaging the world and bringing harm to the eco-system and instead were beginning to develop theories on 'Magic' as it was in order to use it to make living better for all. The world was revitalized by the return of this energy and all life was soon effected by the return of this energy to the world at large. New technology based on this developing source of energy was brought into being. Airships, floating cities and other such things began to be developed while animal life was also effected as sightings of creatures long thought the stuff of myth and legends began to filter into taverns and inns. Life had become something new and wonderous indeed.

However the abolition of technology did little to ultimatly sooth mankinds suffering. A war eventually did erupt despite attempts to do away with weapons of mass destruction. Instead new ones simply were brought into being..these weapons new ones based on rapidly developing magical theory and as a result potentially as devestating as the old ones. The science of magic had become as sophisticated as the science of technology once was and what had been abolished was simply getting replaced by things just as fearsome, even perhaps moreso. Eventually shockingly powerful biological weapons were produced by fusing human and animal DNA with magic, resulting in a horrible mix of vitality and raw strength. This was the birth of the Gears.

The production of the Gears was first began in the west upon American soil and soon the first set of Gears were produced who possessed shocking horrible strength yet were deprived of their humanity so as to be nearly souless beings. Ultimatly other nations began to develop the Gears to assist in their wars and soon a powerful military state arose that had began to perfect the ability to create Gears and began to unite lands within the far east under it's banner and then march upon the rest of the world. This military state monopolized the manufacturing process of Gears and began to soon bring countless other nations under their control.

The Gears were designed to be little more then slaves, incapable of indepdenent thought. Humans augmented by Gear technology yet not fully Gears themselves could exhibit more self control yet ultimatly were at the mercy of their creators. Despite the moral arguments regarding the use of humans and human and animal DNA in the creation of Gears, their creation continued and wars continued to rage until among the ranks of the Gears a rebel appeared..announcing himself to be fully self-aware. This insurrectionist, calling himself Justice, gathered an army of fellow Gears and declared war on mankind.

Justice had the ability to 'free' the Gears from the control of humanity however in truth he was simply exerting control over them and becoming their master through an unknown means. The Gear uprisings occured across the globe, as the former armies of the world began to turn against them. Unprepared for this event due to being so dependant on the Gears in the past for defense and offense the humans began to suffer heavy casualities and loss of life. Entire cities were destroyed and nations laid low in the onslaught of the Gears as Japan was all but wiped out and the United States suffered heavy losses as well. The rebellion of the Gears caused humanity to ultimatly put it's differences aside however and soon an elite order of warriors was formed that made use of the magic in the world and humanities own growing natural abilities. This group of brave heroes were formed to combat the Gear menace and became known as the Seikishidan AKA Sacred Order of Holy Knights.

One Hundred years of brutal war later, the fierce battle between the Gears and the humans had become known as the Crusades yet it was finally at an end. The face of the planet had been altered however and humanity had found new unity in survival yet differences still remained. The heroic Sacred Order had finally captured Justice yet in surprise to many the United Nations ordered him not destroyed but sealed away within an impenetrable dimensional prison. They believed that they would be able to eventually study and control Justice and find out how he became self-aware so that one day Gears could be used for the benefit of others. Despite the contreversy about this choice it was done and eventually the remaining masterless Gears were rounded up and destroyed. Gear technology for general usage was outlawed along with the use of Gear technology for military purposes. Yet this was not the total end of war on Earth as some nations began to take over others that had been weakened by the war. New maps were drawn, new cities had arisen and new territories and battlelines remained even in the five years of reconstruction that occured. Some humans had been altered by the tremendous energies released in the world, becoming Enhanced. The Seikishidan were disbanded and absorbed into the general military forces of the world.

In the year 2180, five years after the end of the brutal war, reports began to occur about the dimensional prison beginning to erode away unexpectedly. Given that human kind was again beginning to create and use Gears the threat was great. Assessing the threat before them, the worlds leaders quickly began to organize an internaional fighting tournament by which they could pick out the best and most powerful of the populace that possessed unnatural abilities, skills and powers. Their intentions was to select members for a proposed Second Order of Holy Knights who could be trained in the battling of Gears and provide adequate defense should a new Gear uprising occur. The grand prize for this tournament, astonishingly enough, was not only entry in the beginning circle of the Second Order but also said to be the ability to make a single wish... any wish at all.

Yet in the panic surrounding the imminent decay of Justice's dimensional prison, few seemed to take notice of the rather suspicious rules of this tournament, such as the welcoming of criminal entrants and the permission to shed blood during the matches.

The brutality of the tournament was ignored by the world leaders and general populace who were to busy preparing the armies of the world for a new possible insurrection and turning their eyes to the tournament. Looking for new heroes and new leaders to emerge. Numerous other participants came from around the world to take part in history and the great Tournament although those would be principle players. Many others had background roles and matches were fought in a variety of exotic locales while the world watched and the prison of Justice wavered. Meanwhile the forces of the United Nations gathered together in council to determine what to do as some of the Gears were beginning to once more mysteriously move on their own although not necessarily attack humans as if waiting and watching. Ultimatly however chaos began to occur as the entrance of criminals into the tournament began to draw numerous questions and as death began to occur and blood was spilled attempts to shut down the tournament occured yet were mysteriously countermanded.

The ultimate reason behind the Tournament was revealed as Testament, the Second Lord Gear, revealed himself to key participants of Ky Kiske, Sol Badguy and Kliff Undersn and his plan to use the power of the blood spilled in the tournament to break the seal on Justice from this side. Eventually a battle was waged between Sol, Ky and Testament at the Lexicon before the gates of the dimensional prison and though Testament was defeated the seal shattered and Justice was released. Unable to face his foes at full strength, he was driven back by the Sacred Knights and mortally wounded. All seemed to be completed one again but the words left by the 'dying' Justice became scarred into the hearts of all who witnessed the end of the Tournament. Was he truly at fault? He was born a slave into the world for the purpose of destruction and was fulfilling his purpose of design. Numerous questions were created at this point. Who truly created the Gears. The 'Creator' as he was referred to by Justice. What was his grand plan in all of this and are Gears truly inherently evil.

Nevertheless the panic caused by the near release of Justice, who was presumed dead and his body taken from the Lexicon and hidden away, caused mankind to rejoice again at his demise..despite the moral confusion given to those who witnessed his end. A year has since passed however and the world on the surface is a place of peace yet internal affairs have begun to once again boil to a point of near explosion. Rumors of countries stockpiling inactive Gears abound. Then, in the year 2181 A.D. a rumor persisted of a Gear becoming active on its own self-will. Not a Gear that escaped the war but simply becoming self-aware.

The report stated, "This Gear is functioning properly, even though its activities should be inhibited by its lack of leadership. There are no signs of abnormalities or physical damage. It is also noted that no civilians have been harmed, either intentionally or accidentally. We have made several attempts to eliminate the Gear; because of its tremendous combat capabilities, we were unsuccessful. The number of casualties has yet to be confirmed. We are currently keeping the Gear under surveillance."

Gears are biological weapons that are programmed to blindly obey the orders given them by their commander. In the absence of orders, they become passive and behave like their original forms. However, all existing Gears have had their memories erased by Justice, and without orders, they are incapable of doing anything; not only do they lack the instinct to protect themselves, they cannot even perform the essential activities to keep themselves alive. As long as a Gear is functioning properly, it should be following commands given by Justice.

Understandably, the news of this Gear that seemed to have a will of its own stunned everyone. Terrified by the possible emergence of a second Justice, combined with the rumor that each country possesses their own Gears for military use, anti-Gear sentiment increased to protect their long-awaited peace.

It was announced that whosoever succeeds in destroying the Gear will be rewarded with 500,000 World Dollars

However, in the end, the Gear known as Dizzy was spared. A young waiteress named Jam collected the bounty, Dizzy went to live on the pirate Airship with Johnny and May, her guardian Testiment stayed in Wicked Forest, and everyones lives returned to what passed for normal.

However...new...more perplexing events began to occur.

The activities of the Post War Bureau and the army of Robo-Ky's who seek to capture all Japanesse and brainwash them for unknown purposes...

The appearance of I-No, an incredibly powerful none Gear who serves the mysteries 'Man' responsible for the creation of all Gears...

As the history's of each character unfolds a new peice of the puzzle is put into place. what can it all mean?

Now you can't say that fighting games can't have a storyline.

Camanche
03-10-2005, 03:14 AM
Sure I can. I just might not say that fighting game. ;)

For me, I'd have to say, in no particular order:

Final Fantasy VII
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (though linear, the concept is what makes the story so memorable and good, to me.)
Metal Gear Solid Series
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy VI

EDIT: Oop! Almost forgot about Kingdom Hearts. Though the story wasn't ground breaking, I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

FallenAngel411
03-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Currently obsessed with Fatal Frame!!! Wahhh, that's a crazy storyline!!!

Of course, all the FFs....ALL of them....including the earlier ones that I haven't played yet but hope to someday....(except X-2...*shiver*)

Also Xenosaga....2nd one sucked me in even deeper than the first. Well, in terms of the story, anyways. I didn't like the battle system.

A...letsee....Kingdom Hearts....everything depends on the sequel...*crosses fingers*...and.....the Monkey Island series! Gotta love the random insanity :D

Luc
03-10-2005, 03:58 AM
I loved Shadow Hearts' storyline.

kthxbai

Skystone
03-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Xenogears. Xenogears. Xenogears. And Xenosaga...maybe. I'm on the second disc of Ep. II, and I think that the series has the potential to rival its predecessor. It just depends on 1) how Ep. II finishes and 2) Ep. III.

Other than that... I don't know, nothing stands out to the same degree; Chrono Cross had alot of unrealized potential, other games are good, but they didn't engross me to the same degree as the Xeno games have.

I've heard good things about Shadow Hearts II, but though I have it lying around somewhere, I haven't played it yet.

Lionx
03-10-2005, 07:32 AM
FFXI :x

DK
03-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Arc: Twilight of the Spirit's has a great storyline.

Destai
03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
the whole .hack//series.

Old Manus
03-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2 has the best stroyline ever. Though it may be a little hard to get to grips with.

Behold the Void
03-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Xenogears. As far as Xenosaga goes, I'll withhold judgement until the end. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne seems to be quite good as well.

Chris
03-10-2005, 05:30 PM
It's hard to single out a few but here I go:

# Final Fantasy VIII - The greatest love story in all of history.

:D

Dreddz
03-10-2005, 07:03 PM
The Story to Resident Evil games are quite good.All the FF games had good storylines to me ( yes FFVII as well ) Vagrant Story was meant to have a good story but havent really got into the game full enough to know.Xenosaga also was meant to have a rich story but I dunno if its any good cause those people at Namco aint released it over in the UK.ICO didnt have a complex story( or a story at all ) but I found it to be very sad so ill say it as well

Bulldog
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Planescape Torment, I guess.
Also Baldur's Gate was quite fun. Not to forget, Starcraft with all the intrigue. And of course the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. At last, Romacing SaGa. Very memorable.

Camanche
03-10-2005, 09:39 PM
It's hard to single out a few but here I go:

# Final Fantasy VIII - The greatest love story in all of history.

:D

Sorry, but am I the only one who thought FFVIII had a completely unrealistic love story? To me, the love story was the worst part of the game.

Dreddz
03-10-2005, 10:06 PM
FFVIII's love story was rubbish.FFVII had a much better love story.
I mean come on,one of the girls dies!!!!

Erdrick Holmes
03-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Dude, spoilers

Camanche
03-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Now all the people who are new to the game will be devastated when they find out that Yu-- oop, nevermind.

Craig
03-10-2005, 10:32 PM
One of the girls dies?! Is it Yuffie?! :cry:

Hmm, i'm not too sure, maybe the Metal Gear Solid, Onimusha and Resident Evil series.

I won't say any RPGs 9 times out of 10 storyline is a major factor for them.

Camanche
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
I never said nothin'

Dreddz
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Come on every on heres played it

FallenAngel411
03-12-2005, 01:02 AM
I liked FFVIII's love story.....sure it was a little shoddy at times, but......

Of course, I'm one of the girls who dropped everything and drooled over Squall whenever he came on. :D

Which was quite often actually....huh. That's a lot of dropped thingies.

Dreddz
03-12-2005, 07:47 PM
wow a girl who likes FF
Now ive seen everything maybe except a dog who meows

nik0tine
03-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Xenogears has the best story line ever conceived. Well, for a video game at least.

After that I would say that the FF series, and the Metal Gear Solid series come close.

Meat Puppet
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Wizball had a storyline that had me on the edge of my seat.

The Prophet
03-13-2005, 02:00 AM
I liked Chrono Trigger's story. It was very well concived, I thought. Another good one was Super Mario RPG. Talk about unlikely allies :eek:

Cless
03-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 has the best stroyline ever. Though it may be a little hard to get to grips with.
I think Metal Gear Solid 2 had the best storyline in a video game also. I was literally taken aback by the events near the end of the game and honestly couldn't believe what was unfolding in front my eyes. Actually, it gave me creeps even though the game isn't of the horror genre. I kept thinking to myself, that I had accidently entered some sort of cheat code by mistake. It completly took my breath away, and then some.

In saying that though, as I come from Europe, I have never played this Xenogears that I hear has a briliant storyline to it.

Del Murder
03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics or Metal Gear Solid. MGS2's story reached a little too far in my opinion.

Camanche
03-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I liked FFVIII's love story.....sure it was a little shoddy at times, but......

Of course, I'm one of the girls who dropped everything and drooled over Squall whenever he came on. :D

Which was quite often actually....huh. That's a lot of dropped thingies.

Heh, well I think you just kind of showed what I meant. You had your reasons for liking it, which were not entirely because it was a good love story- which I don't think it was.

wow a girl who likes FF
Now ive seen everything maybe except a dog who meows

Really? I was always under the impression, that, out of all video games, FF is something that is played by girls quite often. At least more than other games. Well, except for The Sims maybe. Heck, in the 'Eyes on Each Other' forum there is an entire thread dedicated to 'girls who play FF', and it seems that just here there's quite a lot of them. But, if you were just being sarcastic, than nevermind. :eep:

Yuffie514
03-13-2005, 09:37 PM
for the FF series, it's VIII :cool: and Silent Hill 2 :D .

muchacho
03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
for FF's, i think ill pull a long shot and say X(not includeing X2).

but for any game, thats a toughy. i think its crono trigger

as for the love story in FF8, i think it was lame. the one in X was much better, even though it got annoying at times.

and for the MGS2 lovers, it would have been SOOOO much better if they finished the story, and not left you with the questions of "why would they do such a stupid thing."

Cless
03-13-2005, 11:15 PM
I prefer to call MGS2's story ambiguous, rather than unfinished! I think it was finished. Okay, so there are still a lot of loose ends that aren't explained fully, but it's all down to what you make of it and interpretation really. And even if one didn't like the direction that they took with the story. I feel gamers, at the very least, should be able to appreciate the scale of what they tried to accomplish with it. However, in my eyes they pulled it off greatly. I can see how one wouldn't really like it though.

It would be interesting to point out that the story is also unique in the fact that it couldn't be as effectively told in another medium.

TidaRalique
03-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and Silent Hill (2).

Nocturne turned me into a Megaten slut (and I have only researched others, so I'll have to go back and confirm the sluttism by playing the series) and Silent Hill 2 just gives me chills, I love it.

-N-
03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Just storyline?
1. Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Deus Ex
5. Final Fantasy X