PDA

View Full Version : SLANG!

Razael: The Angel Slayer
03-10-2005, 03:08 AM
Here in Australia there are alot of different cultures, all of which have their own slang.
Australians themselves are the only nation of people with their own dictionary (Consisting of all their own coloquialisms).

In Denmark we have no slang but on my trip to Japan they sometimes say things backwards....like shi-Su for Sushi or ja-Nin for Ninja, is that Japanese Slang? .
America has a lot of slang too, like fishizzle (what ever that means...I think it has something to do with snoopy).

So, Fellow-forum-freaks, is there something i'm missing?
Fill me in, educate me in this thing called SLANG.

Love Razael

Shlup
03-10-2005, 03:11 AM
It's "fo'shizzle." It means "for sure."

Kirobaito
03-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Fishizzle has nothing to do with Snoopy.

Here in America, we have a dialect called Ebonics that some black people speak; it has very little grammatical rules and is pretty much adding "fo'sho" and "izzle" to the ends of words.

As for slang that I know, uh...it's not slang to me. I use the word "ain't." That's not a real world, but screw it. Some people try to tell me that "y'all" isn't a word, and that just shows that they plainly don't know that a contraction can be anything if used properly.

Shlup
03-10-2005, 03:13 AM
I don't think "fo'sho" and the "izzles" count as ebonics. Those are just "street." Ebonics just has words like... instead of "ask" its "aks." Ridiculous stuff like that.

Kirobaito
03-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Quiet, or I'll jar you in your grill.

Caspian
03-10-2005, 03:16 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com

That's a lot of slang. A lot.

Halan
03-10-2005, 04:02 AM
Why does Snoop need an umbrella? Fo'drizzle.

fo'shizzle was made popular by Snoop Doggy Dogg, which was probably where you got Snoopy from.

Ebonics is more of a shortening of words into easier pronunciation or just very bad grammer (ie. saying "I be here" rather than "I am here"). If you want a fantastic example of Ebonics, the book Their Eyes Were Watching God is written entirely in it.

DMKA
03-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Quiet, or I'll jar you in your grill.
Wtf?

And btw, not only black people use ebonics...and yes, I know ebonics is a combo of "ebony" and "phonics", but still...that's irrelivant.

Foo.

Shlup
03-10-2005, 05:40 AM
I hate ebonics to much... *grumble*

Quina
03-10-2005, 05:50 AM
You know wha' they say: See a broad to get that bodiac, lay'er down an' smack 'em yack 'em.

DMKA
03-10-2005, 06:14 AM
I hate ebonics to much... *grumble*
Sweet. I hate American English.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
03-10-2005, 06:38 AM
STRUTH RUTH!!!

Rainecloud
03-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Here in England, we abbreviate everything. Unfortunately, it's now getting to the point where you cannot have a conversation with someone without them abbreviating at least 90% of the words in their sentence. Of course, I don't do this, my friends do, and it's annoying.

We also have many different accents, which confuse a lot of people. If you travel for one hour west from my home town, everyone speaks "Skallie". If you travel South-West for two hours, everyone speaks "Welsh", which is even worse. And, if you travel North-East for about three hours, everyone speaks "Geordie", which is almost impossible to understand (for me, anyway).

Rusty
03-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Fair dinkum mate :cool:

DK
03-10-2005, 08:00 AM
We also have many different accents, which confuse a lot of people. If you travel for one hour west from my home town, everyone speaks "Skallie". If you travel South-West for two hours, everyone speaks "Welsh", which is even worse. And, if you travel North-East for about three hours, everyone speaks "Geordie", which is almost impossible to understand (for me, anyway).

xD That cracked me up, man. Anyway, where I live now and where I used to live in England both use helluva different slang words. But I quite like slang, it's mink.

Mittopotahis
03-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Fair dinkum mate :cool:

You are Aussie right? I havent heard Fair Dinkum from anywhere else in the world

Fair Dinkum (you people who dont know) means "really really truely" as my year 5 english teacher explained it.
Most people (outside of Australia) think that we are people with big accents and own Crocodile Farms and live in the Bush...but that is very stereotypical...infact thats basically Steve Irwin...
Back to slang...basically every word that is used in everyday language for the Aussie is slang..

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
03-10-2005, 10:52 AM
lol in addition to that i think "they" as in outsiders think that we have dingo's, Kangaroos and Koala's roaming all over the place! Amazing race went here to Australia and as far as the sound over the tv is concerned....the aussie accent is pretty strong....i dont notice it in real life but when i hear it on tv it stands out lol

G'day all! Im off

Boosk
03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Here in England, we abbreviate everything. Unfortunately, it's now getting to the point where you cannot have a conversation with someone without them abbreviating at least 90% of the words in their sentence. Of course, I don't do this, my friends do, and it's annoying.

meh heh!!its so true! I live in Derbyshire and they speak anouther language
"ey up me duck!"-hello my dear
"gooin dawn t' chippi"- I'm just going to go down to the chip shop
"watta"-water
etc
Kagga :love:

louby_4eva
03-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I live in Bury, we all proper common, well me and my friends anyway, we say stuff like, 'goin ont tinternet' dunno why, t's suddenly appear in our words.

crashNUMBERS
03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
http://funnyjunk.com/pages/ebonics.htm

:lol:

Caspian
03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Wow, I hope I never visit England.

The common language has devolved and sounds pretty nauseating.

Halan
03-10-2005, 11:11 PM
And btw, not only black people use ebonics...and yes, I know ebonics is a combo of "ebony" and "phonics", but still...that's irrelivant.

Right. Can't forget all of those white boys who pretend to be black. Quite annoying, in my opinion.

Del Murder
03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
I partake in the occasional 'hella', but it's mostly on purpose to stay true to my roots.

Mittopotahis
03-11-2005, 12:20 PM
lol in addition to that i think "they" as in outsiders think that we have dingo's, Kangaroos and Koala's roaming all over the place! Amazing race went here to Australia and as far as the sound over the tv is concerned....the aussie accent is pretty strong....i dont notice it in real life but when i hear it on tv it stands out lol

G'day all! Im off

Yeah aparantly some person related to me (i forget who) said that outsiders believe that Kangaroos freely hop the streets of Sydeny! That cracked me up so much!

Oh yeah Ive got a story to tell

My pop and my nan went to Hawaii about 25 years back, and they were on a bus. It was mainly filled with Americans, but there were also a few other Aussies. An american said to my pop "So Bob, what do you do for a living.?" For a bit of fun, my pop said "oh im a kangaroo Trainer!" Now everyone in the bus was listening, because they were intruigued about him being a kangaroo trainer. All the Aussies on the bus knew he was just having some fun and pulling their leg, but the let him have his fun. He started to talk about how he trains them to round up sheep, he trains them to box, and currently how they were trying to train them to help old ladies cross the street! And they were falling for it! HAHAHAHA!

boris no no
03-11-2005, 02:30 PM
STRUTH RUTH!!!
yes?? what have i done?
(my real name is ruth ;) )

apparently derbyshire has the closest version of old english in the world......weird!

yorkshire is silly!
moooooooer - more/moor
canna - can't

some people pronounce buried - berryed
i pronounce it with the U

then theres the obvious
tatties - potatoes
:lol: silly people! heeheehee!

Resha
03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
fo'shizzle was made popular by Snoop Doggy Dogg, which was probably where you got Snoopy from.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-11-2005, 04:41 PM
America has a lot of slang too, like fishizzle (what ever that means...I think it has something to do with snoopy).

I laughed when i read that. Alot. :goomba:

Rye
03-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Why does Snoop need an umbrella? Fo'drizzle.

xD! I don't use slang often. "Ain't" is as far as I go with slang, and I really only use it in school with my friends.

My problem is how I pronounce my words. Since I have a brooklyn accent which can get very thick at times when I say "Dog" it comes out as "Dawg" even though I'm not trying to sound like Randy Jackson or anything! xD

DMKA
03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Right. Can't forget all of those white boys who pretend to be black. Quite annoying, in my opinion.
How does talking a certain way make you "pretend" to be a different race/skin color? I talk only English, and hardly any slang, unless you count the "curse words" I use frequently, and I'm mostly Mexican. Does this mean I'm pretending to be a white guy from Boston, or something?

I really, really don't get people like you.

Old Manus
03-11-2005, 07:11 PM
You know wha' they say: See a broad to get that bodiac, lay'er down an' smack 'em yack 'em.

Jiveman1: Sheeeet, man, that honkey mus' be messin' my old lady
got to be runnin' col' upsihd down his head!
Translation: GOLLY, THAT WHITE FELLOW SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM MY WIFE OR I WILL PUNCH HIM.
Jiveman2: Hey Holm, I can dig it! You know he ain't gonna lay no
mo' big rap upon you man!
Translation: YES, HE IS WRONG FOR DOING THAT.
Jiveman1: I say hey sky, s'other say I won say I pray to J I get
the same ol' same ol.
Translation: I KNEW A MAN IN A SIMILAR PREDICAMENT, AND HE ENDED UP BEING SORRY.
Jiveman2: Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got
perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'.
Translation: DON'T BE NAIVE ARTHUR. EACH OF US FACES A CLEAR MORAL CHOICE.
Jiveman1: You know wha' they say: See a broad to get that bodiac
lay'er down an' smack 'em yack 'em.
Translation: EARLY TO BED, EARLY TO RISE, MAKES A MAN HEALTHY,
WEALTHY AND WISE.
Together: Col' got to be! Yo!
Translation: HOW TRUE!
Together: Sheeeeeeet!
Translation: GOLLY.

Airplane is the best.

Razael: The Angel Slayer
03-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all your help..........Istill don't get it though.

DMKA
03-22-2005, 07:06 AM
I laughed when i read that. Alot. :goomba:
I died.