PDA

View Full Version : Aeris or Aerieth

zimmunky
03-10-2005, 05:11 PM
i dont get it, she died in FVII, Was alive in KH as Aerith and is a memory in AC. Are Aeris and Aerith the same person? Because they look alot alike and they seem related or somethin.

Chris
03-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Aerith is Aeris' real name.
And yes they are one and the same person.

Craig
03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
All the Final Fantasy characters featured in Kingdom Hearts are just cameos, the KH storyline has nothing to do with any of the other games.

Cybele
03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Some people call her Aerith, some people call her Aeris (it was because of translating, people say that they made a mistake and corrected it in Kingdom Hearts). They're all the same person. I prefer to call her Aeris though. It sounds prettier to me.

amratis
03-10-2005, 06:12 PM
All the Final Fantasy characters featured in Kingdom Hearts are just cameos, the KH storyline has nothing to do with any of the other games.

What he said.

It can get abit weird, especially at the end of KH whereafter you've finished the game, that scene with Cloud and Aeris meeting up at Hollow Bastion happens, I mean, its just weird seeing that then watching an AC trailer for example. Its like, hey! you were alive a min ago, talking to Cloud! now you're dead.....

You just have to keep in mind they're too completely different storylines/dimensions. Otherwise it'd be 'Hey Leon/Squall...where the hell's Rinoa? or Zell for that matter?'

TheAbominatrix
03-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Well said, amratis.

Yep, KH is a completly different story. Selphie is like... 8 years old in it while Squall is in his 20's. Definitly different. If it were canon, it'd screw up 3 ff's and countless Disney movies.

Raven Nox
03-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Aerith is supposed to the “real” translation of her name, but Aeris can be right also. My Japanese support system doesn’t work any more (damn Microsoft programs) if it did I’d look at Aerith’s name, I could look at Japanese KH screenshots, but I’m lazy so I’m not going to, but anyway, her name should end in the katakana “su”, if so, when the Japanese write English “th”’s (I know the name’s not English, but it probably goes for other language’s to, and if they made the name up, they probably had this in mind) they have to write them with “su”, which depending on what you’re saying, can sound like “ss” , which is the closet they’re going to get to an English “th”, so when the translators were looking at her name, maybe they forgot that and saw it as “s”, or they liked it better, who knows, I only started Japanese, what place do I have to tell them they’re wrong, so I think it’s supposed to be Aerith, but the FF7 translators liked Aeris, which could be correct also, but the Kingdom Hearts translators liked Aerith because, well, that’s probably what it’s supposed to be. If you wanna know where I read this, it’s on thejapanesepage.com, go find the info your self, it’s there, but it’s been awhile since I read it so I don’t know where. Anyone who knows Japanese, feel free to correct me.

Luthien Rogue
03-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Please... For the love of God... Read this... (http://www.geocities.com/ff7analysis/aerithaeris.html)

:crying2:

BackRoomKid
03-15-2005, 10:55 PM
thop thaying that name, aerith, it jutht makth you thound like you have a lithp

Aeris...is what i say

Luthien Rogue
03-15-2005, 11:17 PM
thop thaying that name, aerith, it jutht makth you thound like you have a lithp

Aeris...is what i say

*sigh*

Obviously, you have chosen to disregard my previous post. For this you must pay. *Straps you down to a chair and places tiny, little hooks on the insides of your eyelids, peeling them away from your eyeballs, forcing you to stare directly at the following text, taking in EVERY LAST WORD* "Aerith" isn't pronounce "Air-eeth" it is pronounced EXACTLY the same way "Aeris" is pronounced: "Heir-iss"

In Japanese there is a Katakana and a Hiragana alphabet. Hiragana is used for Japanese names, however, as her name isn't of Japanese origin, Katakana is used. Her name written in Katakana is "Earisu." Being, however, that "th" carries an "s" sound in Japanese -- there is no lisp involved -- "Earith" can be made from this.

Romanized, it became "Aerith," however, being that in Japanese the "th" would carry the "s" sound, this could technically still be pronounced with the "th" having the "s", thus making this name be pronounced as "Air-riss" or "Aeris."

Where the confusion between "Aeris" and "Aerith" comes from is that when FFVII was translated, the name "Aerith" was localized to fit with English phoenetics. In other words, the spelling was altered to reflect how the name should be pronounced: "Air-riss." This prevented a confusion, in which people would have pronounced her name with a lisp that isn't actually there: "Air-rith."

To put it another way, "Aeris" and "Aerith" are pronounced exactly the same way: "Air-riss." There is no difference whatsoever in the two pronunciations. Both are equally appropriate and equally accurate spellings of the name. Their pronunciations do not vary at all, while the spelling of one is simply altered to fit with English phoenetics.

Anyone else want to ignore me? *evil laughter*

Destai
03-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Anyone else want to ignore me? *evil laughter*....*squeak*(no) :cry:

I can uderstand why theyd be pronounced the same in Japan but not outside of it.

Raven Nox
03-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Please... For the love of God... Read this... (http://www.geocities.com/ff7analysis/aerithaeris.html)

:crying2:

Hey, I was at least on the right track

Luthien Rogue
03-15-2005, 11:52 PM
....*squeak*(no) :cry:

*roffle* Sorry if I scared you, hon. :mad: I mean :love:

zimmunky
03-16-2005, 02:47 AM
cool, i was just confused bc i never saw the movie at the end, i guess i took a victory bathroom break or something bc i dont know how i could've missed it. oh well, thanks guys.

Aeritho
03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Her real name is Aerith but when the game was translated to english they mistook ( the th in Japanese language sounds like a s )

AoiSora
03-16-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm certainly glad you guys cleared that up. It's a little pet peeve of mine when people try to say Aerith, as a "th" instead of an "s." Like I tried to tell my friends back home, it's the same pronounciation, regardless of the spelling.

Though I had the reasons behind it wrong. I had always heard that her name was Latin. And in Latin, "th" is pronounced "s." You guys ever listened to One Winged Angel? The choir pronouces it "Sephiross." But....it's a personal preference of mine to say Sephiroth (pronounced as spelled). :D I likes it.

Yuffie514
03-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Aerith always sounded better anyway:jap: .

Camanche
03-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Though I had the reasons behind it wrong. I had always heard that her name was Latin. And in Latin, "th" is pronounced "s." You guys ever listened to One Winged Angel? The choir pronouces it "Sephiross." But....it's a personal preference of mine to say Sephiroth (pronounced as spelled). :D I likes it.

I always wondered about the pronunciation of Sephiroth in the One Winged Angel song. Damn, no one makes such a fuss about that. :D

So, Sephiroth's name pronunciation suffers the same mistakes as Aeris/Aerith's? His 'th' at the end is pronounced as an 's'? I hope not, I prefer 'Sephiroth' the way I would sound it out in english.

Squall of SeeD
03-17-2005, 04:36 AM
And in Latin, "th" is pronounced "s." You guys ever listened to One Winged Angel? The choir pronouces it "Sephiross." But....it's a personal preference of mine to say Sephiroth (pronounced as spelled).

"Aerith" isn't Latin and "th" is not pronounced with an "s" sound in Latin ("Aeris" is a Latin word, but considering the Katakana of Aerith's name is "Earisu," taking into account Japanese phoenetic values ("th" having an "su" sound), that "Erith" is the Hebrew word for "Flower," and Aerith's connection to flowers, "Erith" is much more likely the origin of her name). "Th" carries a sound similar to the "s" sound in Japanese ("su"), which is what you're likely confusing this with.

As for Sephiroth's name, the Japanese translations would have it as "Sephiros" or "Sefirosu," so the choir saying it as such is understandable. The name comes from the Kaballah of Jewish Mysticism, in which it is pronounced "Seh-fer-oth." I hope this helps.

Camanche
03-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Ah, I see now. Kudos for all the help.
I want to learn about languages, so it's nice to understand the differences between these things.

Big D
03-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Her real name is Aerith but when the game was translated to english they mistook ( the th in Japanese language sounds like a s )It wasn't a mistake, it was a deliberate change. Western listeners liked the sound of "Aeris" better than "Aerith".
It's all about aesthetics, really.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-17-2005, 06:50 AM
Sony translated FFVII, not Square. If Square had translated it, she probably would have been called Aerith.

Big D
03-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Unless Woolsey was re-hired to do the translation; in that case she'd probably have been called "Rabid Moose".

amratis
03-17-2005, 03:49 PM
That could have worked :D

I'll continue to call her Aeris, its what I've always called her and its habit now. Interesting to read about the whole pronounciation thing though, I didnt know they were actually the same except just spelled differently

AoiSora
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
"Aerith" isn't Latin and "th" is not pronounced with an "s" sound in Latin

Sorry 'bout the mistake in the "th" = "s". I've never taken Latin. I was going on what I've heard from a few different places. I don't know much about the Japanese katakana though. But thanks for the info. It's nice to know the origins of the names.

BackRoomKid
03-17-2005, 11:40 PM
*sigh*

Obviously, you have chosen to disregard my previous post. For this you must pay. *Straps you down to a chair and places tiny, little hooks on the insides of your eyelids, peeling them away from your eyeballs, forcing you to stare directly at the following text, taking in EVERY LAST WORD* "Aerith" isn't pronounce "Air-eeth" it is pronounced EXACTLY the same way "Aeris" is pronounced: "Heir-iss"

that was the most cruel and unusual punishment from a FF Fanatic I've ever had

Luthien Rogue
03-18-2005, 01:27 AM
that was the most cruel and unusual punishment from a FF Fanatic I've ever had

Out of love, my friend... out of love... :love:

BackRoomKid
03-18-2005, 04:57 AM
lol "this will hurt me more than it hurts you" i getcha

well, now I know that the spelling never had anything to do with the pronunciatians...and plus, when AC says the name of Aeris/Aerith, this old debate will never be brought up again

AkiraMakie
03-18-2005, 05:45 AM
....*squeak*(no) :cry:

I can uderstand why theyd be pronounced the same in Japan but not outside of it.

ok put it this way. Would your NAME be prounced any other way than it is intended to be pronounced.

I would understand where you were comming from if you were talking about a regular word. But this is a name. not just any old common word.

fire_of_avalon
03-18-2005, 07:05 AM
In my master save, I call her Billy.

Destai
03-18-2005, 04:05 PM
ok put it this way. Would your NAME be prounced any other way than it is intended to be pronounced.

I would understand where you were comming from if you were talking about a regular word. But this is a name. not just any old common word.um, yes.

Squall of SeeD
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
As Destai said, yes. The Spanish form of "Henry," for instance, is "Enrique." "Jesus" is pronounced "Hei-zoos" in Spanish. Another Spanish example is that "Carlos" is the Spanish form of "Charles."

These are just a few examples with English to one other language. So, again, the answer is "yes."

AoiSora
03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
In my master save, I call her Billy.

:lol:

AkiraMakie
03-18-2005, 07:02 PM
As Destai said, yes. The Spanish form of "Henry," for instance, is "Enrique." "Jesus" is pronounced "Hei-zoos" in Spanish. Another Spanish example is that "Carlos" is the Spanish form of "Charles."

These are just a few examples with English to one other language. So, again, the answer is "yes."

ah, this is very true. But you wouldnt call someone who's name is Carlos, Charles just because thats the english interpretation of the name would you. His name is still Carlos and you would pronounce it as such. AND not only that, you are comparing two similar langauges. English and spanish are very much alike. But you cant use the same rules like that for two completely unrealted langauges. There just is no equvilant for a name in japanese because the two languages just arent realted. And the spelling of the name is only an issue because there isnt a way to really honestly spell it in english. Romanji isnt perfect. So some things you gotta take at face value.

Squall of SeeD
03-18-2005, 08:13 PM
ah, this is very true. But you wouldnt call someone who's name is Carlos, Charles just because thats the english interpretation of the name would you. His name is still Carlos and you would pronounce it as such.

Yes, but in such a case as that, the spellings are different anyway. With "Jesus," the "J" carries a different phoenetic value and there is no Spanish equivalent to the English "J" sound when using the letter "J" itself (the closest to it would be a "ch" sound when using "ch") . One utterly unfamiliar with English but only versed in Spanish may not be expected to use the English form of such a name, even were the person carrying the name from America, Britain, or another English speaking nation.

AND not only that, you are comparing two similar langauges. English and spanish are very much alike. But you cant use the same rules like that for two completely unrealted langauges. There just is no equvilant for a name in japanese because the two languages just arent realted. And the spelling of the name is only an issue because there isnt a way to really honestly spell it in english. Romanji isnt perfect. So some things you gotta take at face value.

I understand your point and was simply offering an example. However, something that needs to be kept in mind is that a lot of names used by English-speaking people aren't of English origin to begin with. They very well may be of Hebrew, Arabic, Asian, or any origin not as closely related to English as Latin or Hebrew, and there may well be a Japanese equivalent.

In any event, my point is that depending on the name and the phoenetic value of its characters from one language, people using a certain language might well pronounce another's name incorrectly due to their own understanding of phoenetic values.

While that can happen and it's not necessarily a discourtesy to another when it does, I personally am in favor of recognizing another language's phoenetic values provided one is aware of them in regard to names and using those names' respective proper sounds in regard to their language of origin. Pronouncing "Tao" as "Dow," for instance.

Greiver205
03-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Your right you know my parents are from Ecuador and the talk like that with an accent...its hilarious :laugh: . Anyway i think that the name sounds better like Aeris because when you say Aerith it sounds like you have LISP.

PS.My middle name is Enrique...so thats why my family calls me Henry sometimes because thats my middle name in english... :eek:

Del Murder
04-02-2005, 08:07 AM
We already have one of these in the FFVII Forum.