PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean?

ViVincent
03-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Ok, I am interested in buying Star Ocean: Til the End of time. I was just looking for anyones opinion of the game. Is it worth buying? Explain it if you like. Im just tryin to make sure i will like it before i buy it.
Thanks!

FallenAngel411
03-12-2005, 02:36 AM
It's a decent game. Nothing extraordinary, and the story's somewhat slow and changes direction very suddenly and sort of spins very far away from its own point.....

But it's still enjoyable. If you RPGs, you should try it out.

Cybele
03-12-2005, 02:43 AM
I love Star Ocean. I played the second one and loved it, the private actions, battle system, and many different endings are what drew me in. Then I bought the third one, it was pretty good. The battle system is great, being able to move your characters freely and use different abilities is a lot of fun. You should buy it if for nothing else but the battle system (you can play multi-player if you get a secret item). The story is okay and you still get different endings depending on how you acted during the game. So far, I've gotten Fayt alone and Fayt with Adray. You also get to choose what characters you get (you may want to look up a faq for picking your party though). There's stuff to do after you beat the game as well, your file gets marked as clear and a few new dungeons open up. Over all, I highly recommend it. Guess I got a bit carried away when making this post though... :laughing:

FallenAngel411
03-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Oh yes, the battle system. :D

The battle system is very fun. It's cool to be able to run around knock bad guys around in an rpg, without the camera going nutso on you like Kingdom Hearts.

Yes, the game is definitely recommended. :)

Luc
03-12-2005, 05:48 AM
It's a decent game. Nothing extraordinary, and the story's somewhat slow and changes direction very suddenly and sort of spins very far away from its own point.....

But it's still enjoyable. If you RPGs, you should try it out.

FallenAngel said it exactly as I would have. :)

dragonheart2za
03-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Star Ocean is pretty good. I actually have the game, along with the stratagy guide (the game gets pretty complicated at sometimes). The game is actually about 72 or 73 hours long, most which are due to long storylines. Overall, the game is pretty good, as far I see it. The only I might disapprove of would be the long storylines. It takes most of the gameplay away. But, It's crazy fun, graphics are well designed, great characters, gameplay is alright, and it suites your other wanting-to-know questions. I would give this game a 8.5-9.0/10.0

Excelsior
03-13-2005, 07:41 AM
star ocean, is, in my opinion a great game. i normally cant stand sci-fi, even star wars is boring and lame to me. but star ocean had such an intriguing premice, intresting characters, fun battle system, and one of my favorite plot twists in any game ever. a must buy, in my opinion.

Cless
03-13-2005, 08:15 AM
I thought it was a good RPG. I felt it had a Fun battle system, decent tunes and a good/ish story. The thing I liked most about this game, though, was the insane plot twist. The invention system is also a good feature. Overall, I would say it's a good, solid RPG experience. However, if you go into it expecting something truely great, you may be disappointed. Though that plot twist was very good!

My personal rating - 83% :)

Alice
03-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Its really good! I loved it, the graphics are great, the story is good and u can play it more than once ^_^

Ezme
03-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Am i missing something? I got it for christmas and played for ummmm 3hours....just defeated Norton or whatever his name is and found it really boring and complicated....mabey it because i had just finished FFX and X-2 but.....i dont think i like it. I generally dont like RPG'S that have some bases in reallity like this is in our future, plus i got stuck cos I ran out of healing items. oh well, each to thier own i suppose.

Alice
03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
WelshWonder.. keep playing and youll understand its not based in reality :P

Destai
03-13-2005, 09:59 PM
What I didnt like about it was even though it was in the future so little of the game took place in a future setting. It was like false advertising!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Not if you'd have played any of the other games in the series.

Destai
03-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Ive only played Star Ocean 3 and as far as story and settings go I was really dissapointed. I wanted it to be all sci-fi and a normal story that just has a futuristic setting. I hate medieval settings which is where almost all of disc 1 took place, It seemed like a copp out. The stories plot twists about virtual worlds just annoyed me.

Ezme
03-15-2005, 07:31 AM
I cant play it anymore! I lent it too a mate to see what he thought. I did have the trailer to FFXII tho whihc was a bonus because i have dial up and cant DL trailers.

Raven Nox
03-17-2005, 08:25 AM
It's not the best RPG ever made but it's still one of my favorite games. If you havn't played the 2nd one though, I suggest playing it first, you'll like the 3rd one more if you do, plus, the 2nd one is a pretty good game to. It's a you ether like it or you don't type game, you can't really go on what other people say about it. You should probably rent it or borrow it from a friend that has it (if any of your friends do). Well, if you decide to play it I hope you like it.

fahadalhasan
04-09-2005, 04:30 PM
It is a cool game! I recommend it to you! I love the battle system, soryline etc.... beware it is on two discs! It is a quite long game!

The only draw back is:

You don't get to use Maria, Fayt and Sophia's Speacil Ability! Which they have been infused with, which is not fair!

Buy it! Don't read the spoiler if you haven't completed the game atleast once! :D :eek: :tongue:

Ultima Shadow
04-16-2005, 05:26 PM
It's the freaking best game for the PS2! BUY IT NOW!!!

Dreddz
04-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Ive enjoyed the game but am a little annoyed with the lengh of it
Im in the spiral,Tower and Am on the 36hr
It says up to 80hr ?!?!?!
And by the false Advertising

Alice
04-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Its really a great game, it is long but the gameplay rocks, battle system is one of the best, the graphics r tight, and the characters are very loveable. ^_^ Im glad i bought it.

Ultima Shadow
04-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Actually... I've never found something like that annoying. The longer, the better... in my opinion. :greenie:

starlet
04-19-2005, 04:13 PM
After playing this game, it's really hard to go back to FF-style battles without falling asleep. and I love the 2-player mode! I suggest putting 3 rogers together all on range-orientd style. :D

JaytodaP
04-20-2005, 07:43 PM
there were three star oceans?????
I played the one for PS2 so what are the other ones

Lord Chainsaw
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Star Ocean 1 is for the Super Famicon only. You can probably download the ROM if you get a good patch. That is something that has eluded me for a few years now.

Star Ocean 2: The Second Story, is considered the best, and it was released on the Playstation back around 97 or 98.

Star Ocean: Blue Sphere is a sequel to the Second Story, and was released on the Game Boy Color. However, due to the large amount of dialogue barely fitting with japanese characters, Tri Ace/Enix never could port the game out of Japan.

As far as SO3 goes, it is my favorite next generation RPG. It has a great balance of gameplay, and wonderful existential story. Very challenging sidequests, and superbosses that are actually super. None of those "beat the game, train for 3 more hours and then whoop the superboss" shenanigans from games like Final Fantasy V.

Music is so/so. Although Tri Ace carries over the best tracks from Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean II to serve as awesome secret boss music, nothing incredibly great is in the original score for the game aside from maybe a boss track that plays once and the final boss track.

Overall, I'd give this game somewhere in the neighborhood of a 8.85 - 9.25. I really enjoyed it.

I'm a bit biased towards this series and SaGa in particular, so whatever acclaim I give any game in these series should probably be toned down a notch or two for an accurate reflection.

Ultima Shadow
04-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Overall, I'd give this game somewhere in the neighborhood of a 8.85 - 9.25. I really enjoyed it.

I'm a bit biased towards this series and SaGa in particular, so whatever acclaim I give any game in these series should probably be toned down a notch or two for an accurate reflection.[/color]
Hardly. 9.25 is a perfect rating of this game. Oh, and I have to agree when it comes to the music. However... there was no extremely bad track either. Almost every track was atleast above average. :cool:

Man, this is at the very least 1 of my top 5 fav games ever made. :cool:

starlet
04-21-2005, 06:31 PM
there were times that the music reminded me of joe satriani or maybe even dream theatre...that was a plus

Dreddz
04-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Actually... I've never found something like that annoying. The longer, the better... in my opinion. :greenie:

Dont you mean shorter is better
If you read my post it says im on the 36hr when it says the game goes on for 80hr
Thats mean the games shorter than said and I was looking for a long game

NM
04-21-2005, 10:37 PM
I think the 80hrs includes doing all the additional Super Bosses and sub quests, rather than just the main story.

Ultima Shadow
04-22-2005, 08:28 AM
If you read my post it says im on the 36hr when it says the game goes on for 80hr
Thats mean the games shorter than said and I was looking for a long game
I'm sorry. :p
I never payed enough attention to the post. I'm always getting confused when I'm too tired. I guess posting after 1am isn't a very good idea after all. :greenie:

TurkSlayer
04-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I really like this game. The story is good, the characters are cool, and overall its very goo. However, I recommend Star Ocean: The Second Story over this game because the truely is a spectacular game.

Mercen-X
04-29-2005, 09:04 PM
I love Star Ocean.
I think there should've been more worlds. I love the battle system. There could've been more freedom to the creation system. I like changing the characters name. I don't like the voiceover screwing it up. If they're going to have a name-change option, don't include the voice-overs.

Here's how I made up for this annoyance:

Fayt - Fate, Sophia - Zoevia, Cliff - Glyph, Maria - Muriea, Roger - Rahjer, Albel - Elbell, Mirage - Merozh, Nel - Nelle, Peppita - Pippyta, Adray - Adre

I changed everyone back except Fate, Glyph, Rahjer, Nelle, and Adre because the rest looked TOO stupid.

BTW: I don't like turning off voice-overs, feels like takes away from the experience. Besides, they're most often easier to skip.