PDA

View Full Version : Second Place

Dking'squeen
03-12-2005, 06:37 AM
I hate it. I don't like coming in second place. You win, and yet you lose. It's a disturbing feeling for me, knowing that I'm not winning. I;ll give you an example

Teacher: And second place for Social Behavior in the science fair, Carmelita White

Me: Sh!t! *gets up and takes award* goddamn it *sits down with people loking at me*

Teacher: mad winners. I've never seen it before

Well, that's my experience. The point is to know whether you can deal with now winning, or coming in second or third place? Or no place at all.

Jojee
03-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Even if you're not happy to win second place, I would accept the award and at least act glad about it. I think it's something you should really be glad about, as well. It's unsportsmanlike to act so angry simply because your project was judged the second best of all of them. First place is better, but winning isn't everything.

Dking'squeen
03-12-2005, 06:42 AM
yeah i know. I was happy for my friend who won first place though

Martyr
03-12-2005, 06:47 AM
Yeah, accept your award with that gallant attitude that you were taught to have.

Never forget that second place is first loser, and never do it again.
If I'm not the best at what I do, then I certainly ain't going to bother ranking.
And if I can rank, then I will be the best. Anything less is a waste of time when talent is assisting in victory.

Meat Puppet
03-12-2005, 06:51 AM
I never got second place in anything. I would've killed for 3rd. I sucked.

boris no no
03-12-2005, 08:09 AM
the only things i've ever won are to do with dancing, and they wern't really all that hard.
i'm used to coming 3rd or 4th. i used to do swimming galas when i was healthy and not fat.i always came 4th. i hated it. :(

Yamaneko
03-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Me: Sh!t! *gets up and takes award* goddamn it *sits down with people loking at me*
Well, you're not going to get first place with that attitude.

The Captain
03-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Jerry Seinfeld has a great bit about 2nd place at the Olympics, and while I'm a little fuzzy on the exact words, I'll give it a shot:

"I always have a problem with that Silver Medal. When you win, well, it feels good, when you get the Bronze you think 'Well, at least I got SOMETHING'. But, getting the silver is just saying, 'Congrats, you almost won! Of all the losers, you came in first. You're the number one loser.' And most of these losses are by fractions of a second. Then when you get home, everyone wants to know what happened: 'Hey Frank, great job. Silver Medal. So, what happened? Did you trip, did you fall'. In the end, is it really worth it?"

Though, it has been said, to accept defeat graciously, is a greater victory than to win ungraciously. If you can gain something out of placing second, 3rd, 56th, etc, etc, then not always winning can be extremely worthwhile.

Take care all.

Old Manus
03-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Do I detect sore-losership?

Nod
03-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Be happy for other peoples success and it shall bring success to you. :)
Take pride in what you accomplish. To get your name mentioned and recieve recognition for something you have created is a great achievement. :)

Silmaril
03-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow. Winning never mattered to me. :)

amratis
03-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I never got second place in anything. I would've killed for 3rd. I sucked.

I would've been happy to get 3rd. I never win things

crashNUMBERS
03-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't care, its just a game. As a matter of fact life is like a game itself. In a race depending on what you do or how you run you get what you earned. Just like life...

Itsunari 2000
03-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Second-place is better than no-place at all. Just be thankful for what you've got.

Rye
03-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Jerry Seinfeld has a great bit about 2nd place at the Olympics, and while I'm a little fuzzy on the exact words, I'll give it a shot:

"I always have a problem with that Silver Medal. When you win, well, it feels good, when you get the Bronze you think 'Well, at least I got SOMETHING'. But, getting the silver is just saying, 'Congrats, you almost won! Of all the losers, you came in first. You're the number one loser.' And most of these losses are by fractions of a second. Then when you get home, everyone wants to know what happened: 'Hey Frank, great job. Silver Medal. So, what happened? Did you trip, did you fall'. In the end, is it really worth it?"

Oh, the wise words of Jerry Seinfeld. :)

I can see where you're coming from with the dissapointment. If what you're doing matters a lot to you, second can hurt. :(

Dr.K
03-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Aside from all the phrases about 2nd place regarding being the best loser etc., coming in second place shows that you are, most things considered, rather good at the job in question - no doubt about it. It's only when you start comparing yourself to others I feel, that the feeling of coming in 2nd starts to tarnish.

Psychotic
03-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Seriously. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=57848)

eestlinc
03-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I got third place in a beauty contest once. I won $10.

Jojee
03-12-2005, 06:16 PM
That's monopoly, dear :|

Yamaneko
03-12-2005, 06:39 PM
I got third place in a beauty contest once. I won $10.
You must have the version before inflation because mine gives me $20. Or maybe I'm just more beautiful than you.

kikimm
03-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow. Winning never mattered to me. :)

Yes. It's so much easier to be happy when you're not expecting anything. Plus, I'm not a competitive person..at all. And I avoid contests at all costs. :)

:D

Psychotic
03-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Yes. It's so much easier to be happy when you're not expecting anything. Plus, I'm not a competitive person..at all. And I avoid contests at all costs. :)I bet you I can avoid contests better than you can!

kikimm
03-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I bet you I can avoid contests better than you can!

You're on.

:D

eestlinc
03-12-2005, 09:26 PM
You must have the version before inflation because mine gives me $20. Or maybe I'm just more beautiful than you.

yea, mine's from the '80s.

krissy
03-12-2005, 09:28 PM
i was in an actual beauty contest yesterday. didn't even make top 3, however, i am definately sure i was #4.

rubah
03-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Second place makes me angrier than many things.

Second place in art contests, second chair at region, second rank in class (haha, that doesn't happen often:D)

But, that just means 'Find a way to make yours be the best in art,' 'only make second band first chair, 'cause then you have someone to boss around instead of being second string to some other stuck up keyboard player (although then I'm sad about being in second band)' and 'FRIGGIN' STUDY FOR THOSE GEOMETRY TESTS'.

Instead of getting mad, realize that next year will probably happen sooner than you expect, so might as well make a good start now.

darn me and my competitiveness.