PDA

View Full Version : question about ff7

sephiroth JR
03-12-2005, 08:43 PM
hi iv'e been playing ff7 for years and know just about every little thing in the game but one thing thats being bothering me lately is wondering whats the purpose of the prizes that you recieve when you score 3000 points or over on the rollar coaster in the gold saucer. I know the umbrella you recieve is aeris best weapon but does the masamune blade, toy soldiers and the super sweeper do?

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Nothing. They're just random stuff to aquire. They have no purpose.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Aeris's best weapon is the Princess guard

TheSpoonyBard
03-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Actually, it depends how you define 'best'.

Princess Guard: Found in Door IIII in the Clock Room of the Temple of the Ancients.
Attack: 52
Attack %: 111
Materia Slots: O=O O=O O=O O
Growth: Normal
Special Bonuses: Vitality +12, Spirit +20
Notes: This weapon powers up when the party is on critical health, and the weapon is at it's most powerful when the other two allies are both on 1 HP. If the other two allies die, the weapon weakens again.

Umbrella: Exchanged for 5,000 points at the Shooting Coaster in the Gold Saucer (Disc 1 only).
Attack: 58
Attack %: 118
Materia Slots: None
Growth: None
Special Bonuses: Vitality +20

The Umbrella has more Attack power but does not possess the special qualities of the Princess Guard.

As for the Masamune Blades, Super Sweepers, 1/35th Soldiers and Tissues they have no purpose whatsoever.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 10:24 PM
the Princess guard has materia slots, the umbrella isnt really suited for aeris though since she is a spell caster not an attacker

TheSpoonyBard
03-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Aeris isn't an attacker? The joy of FFVII is that the characters can be whatever you want them to be. Say I wanted to give Cid and Barret a huge amount of Magic Sources. Would they refuse to accept them because they aren't magic users? I think not. The characters aren't assigned a specific role. Whenever I play through the game and reach the Train Graveyard, and therefore the oppurtunity to steal Aeris' Striking Staff, she become twice as strong as Cloud. In my eyes that is an 'attacker'. Am I supposed to keep her in the back row only using Cure spells when I have a very powerful weapon going to waste in my inventory? Similarly, would you refuse to equip Barret or Cid with Kights of the Round or Ultima because they have low magic stats? There are no predetermined roles in FFVII, and they can become whatever you want them to be.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 11:03 PM
i'm talking about default statistics her magic does more damage than anyone elses even at max stats her attacks do low damage you have to rememember that some characters raise differently and do more damage in other stats while less in others

Destai
03-12-2005, 11:04 PM
In general the games equipment and physical stats leaned toward Aeris being a magic user. Shes the closest the games has to a pure mage.

TheSpoonyBard
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
A while ago I actually took the time to raise everyone to level 99 (I used an Xpolorer to get obscene amounts of EXP) on disc one and I compared their maximum natural stats. I found that there was very little variation between the characters, I think the most was 40 points. Although Aeris does have a higher Magic stat than others, it does not overshadow her Strength stat. She can be used to great effect in whatever role you assign her.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 11:14 PM
but that was with a cheat cartridge if it was natural it would be different cheats dont always do what they say

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 11:16 PM
That's a cop out reply. Try doing what she did manually. At the end, all of the characters are basically the same.

The only time I used Aerith as a 'magic user' was with her limit breaks. Her strength is very useful for people like me who rarely use magic to begin with. All of the characters in VII are very very interchangable. They dont have set roles at all.

Destai
03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I know theyre all similar which is why I said the game "leans" toward it. What I meant was the game makes suggestion to her being a magic user. Her weapons through most of the game that she lives throughmade her somewhat weaker than the rest of the party although the whole party is very similar in stats. She does come off as the party magic user even in personality wouldnt you think?

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 11:19 PM
They certainly have 'personalities' of jobs, but that doesnt make ForrestOwl's words any less right. She's very right that Aerith's best weapon depends on the gamer.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
no materia slots not all Materia are magic that could make room for an attack up materia or something

Destai
03-12-2005, 11:23 PM
I forgot we were talking about weapons :p

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 11:24 PM
no materia slots not all Materia are magic that could make room for an attack up materia or something

And there are bangles for that.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 11:30 PM
yeah but alot of bangles have few slots whilst weapons have many still room for about 3-6 usefull materias are out of the pic with the umbrella

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 11:31 PM
If all you want is an attack up materia, why would you need that many slots?

Shoden
03-12-2005, 11:35 PM
because the more attack up materias the higher the strength same with other stat raising materia

TheSpoonyBard
03-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Shoden, I'm not sure what your post is meant to say, but there is no such thing as an 'attack up' materia.

TheAbominatrix, thanks for backing me up. Glad someone agrees with me.

Going back the levelling up I mentioned earlier, I have eight characters raised naturally (with no use of Sources) to level 99 on disc 3, but due to certain events in the storyline it is impossible to compare these stats with the ninth character. It was necessary, therefore, to do the levelling up on disc one. After using the cheat cartridge I compared the stats of the characters on disc one (raised using a cheat) with the stats on disc 3 (raised naturally) and found there was no difference.

Destai
03-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I dont disagree with you. ; ;

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 11:37 PM
because the more attack up materias the higher the strength same with other stat raising materia

And how many do you have in your inventory on disc one? How bout on disc two? Not six, I can tell you that much. Even for most of disc three you dont have that many, unless you're obsessively leveling them up.

And no problem, ForrestOwl :skull3:

fainaru
03-12-2005, 11:39 PM
(im kinda off topic bout your post here sephiroth JR, but since your questions been answered...)

yea i kinda agree with some of you...there's this preception of aeris as being a "magic user" just cuz her limits don't cause dmg, and supports the party/cause status effects. Because of this i think ppl just slap a sign on her basically saying shes weak in strength and not an attacker...but the truth of the matter is, like ForestOwl implied is "There are no predetermined roles in FFVII, and they can become whatever you want them to be." i guess some ppl just label her as either weak or a good magic user so calling her a magic user is kinda better than calling her weak. i know ppl that say that and it irritates me when they haven't even experienced her last limit which is amazingly brilliant =)

TheSpoonyBard
03-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Destai, I didn't say you did. I apologise if you thought I implied otherwise.

Shoden, the majority of materia slots the higher grade bangles have is 5-6, and bangles such as the Edincoat, Wizard Bracelet and Precious Watch have eight. That is more than enough to equip your imaginary 'attack up' materia.

Shoden
03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
i used it as an example for http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif sake go screw something else ok ive got a headache from http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif thats here at the moment here goodbye hopefully i'll get to sleep tonight

what I'm saying is at default statistics without using guard sources etc. then you'll see differences

TheAbominatrix
03-12-2005, 11:54 PM
She's also talking about default stats. Aerith still has decent strength, and with a good weapon she's a good attacker.

Del Murder
03-13-2005, 06:33 AM
I've always noticed that Aeris had higher magic stats and lower strength stats than the rest of the party. I have no evidence to back this up. Of course, with the right materia and equipment you can make anyone anything. She had always been my best magic user, even when I gave Cloud all the best magic materia.

Masamune·1600
03-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Alright, just to briefly address the original question: those items have no purpose. The Umbrella cannot be earned, however, with 3000 points. You need 5000. In Discs 2 and 3, the Umbrella is replaced at the 5000 mark with the Flayer. Each of these weapons can only be acquired once; after that, you will continue to receive 1/35 Soldiers, Masamune Blades, etc.

Now, as to the current debate, there are several ways of looking at it. Statistically, there are slight tendencies for the characters. They are not, however, all that significant. As to the question of the characters at level 99, I'll be sure to manually max levels on Disc 1, and give a definitive answer. However, since almost all abilities are derived from materia, and any materia can be used by any party member, you can build up your party however you prefer.

DaremihC
03-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I often switch roles every time I play FFVII. Last game I had Barret as my primary healer, tifa as my prime magic user, Aerith, Red, and Cid as my attackers, Vincent as my long range and Cloud as my status magic user. It dosn't really matter, especially at level 99, you just crush everything anyway...

You can always switch them around during the game too; it depends on your fighting style, what materia you like to use, and which other characters you have in your party.

As to the Aerith weapon problem, The Parasol is the most powerful, but the Princess Guard is the most practical.