PDA

View Full Version : Button mashers these days...

crashNUMBERS
03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Don't you hate it when button mashers beat you in a Fighter about a couple of times and then they act like their all good and their the best. Damn I HATE it...

Levian
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
What's the point in winning if you're not going to whine about it for at least 5 hours afterwards? :/

Mashed potato > Button mashers.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-13-2005, 11:03 PM
I get the feeling that if button mashers can win consistently against people who are actually trying to win, it says something about the game as a whole.

crashNUMBERS
03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Don't go thinking I suck now! I can easily learn a combo in SF and KoF...

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-13-2005, 11:09 PM
I never said you sucked. I said the game sucks.

Erdrick Holmes
03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Button mashers are no threat to me. SNK fighters like KoF require better attention to button pressing so button mashers can't do jack crap.

crashNUMBERS
03-13-2005, 11:23 PM
I especially hate CHEAP button mashers . Like the ones who keep on jum,ping then land with their signiture move "the button mash"...

Sepho
03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
I get the feeling that if button mashers can win consistently against people who are actually trying to win, it says something about the game as a whole.

Or it says something about the player losing to the button masher :p

For (3D) fighters these days, I mostly play DOA3 and Soul Calibur II, and I don't lose to button mashers that often. Every now and then my little cousin will win a round against me in SCII, though.

crashNUMBERS
03-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Oh 3-D fighters no. 'cause in 2-D you can trap some very easily to a corner a button-mash your way..

Ryth
03-13-2005, 11:59 PM
I hate button-mashers I never lose to them though its just stupid they're mashing buttons like an idiot and then you're schooling them its quite boring.

Cless
03-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I find in Soul Caliber 2, button mashing is quite an effective technique with a fast character, and that it can beat a competent player with a fair amount of regularity. Button mashing seems to be more effective in 3-D fighters. What Joel said about the SNK games, which I am yet to play, I find applies to Street Fighter II as well. It's the only fighting game I play, and if someone tries to button mash me, they will get promptly shot down. I find "Button mashers" will leave themselves exposed too often to stand a chance.

If you have trouble against one, try to capitalize on all the moments that they leave themselves vulnerable, and believe me, that is practically all the time. Pick the flaws in their cheap technique, and you will own them. :D No doubt about it. Make sure skill prevails! ;)

Meat Puppet
03-14-2005, 12:40 AM
People who stand on the spot kicking.

Lionx
03-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Too much Tekken?

Luc
03-14-2005, 06:40 AM
I don't really care about button mashers because I don't really like fighting games. But.. If a button masher beats me, oh well. I'll know what to do next time. Maybe.

edczxcvbnm
03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
There is only one fighting game series that I have played where a button masher stands zero chance against someone who some what knows what they are actually doing. That game is Virtua Fighter. You don't have to be great at the game but if you understand a few things such as half of your characters moves and how to block effectivly, do a combo break and parry a move(the basics in other words) then a button masher will ALWAYS lose to you...as long as you actually try that is.

No other fighting game I have played is that in depth to the point where you only need to know the basics to never lose to a button masher.

BatChao
03-14-2005, 08:32 AM
I beat someone who knew how to play button mashing in VF4 before... heehee. Of course, I was doing what I call 'smart' button mashing, which is basically having an actual defense (blocking and such) and mashing buttons when an opening appears... and then after a little bit of mashing and figuring mashing which buttons does what, kinda mash those buttons a bit more. Haha.

I will say, though, that button mashers actually have more of an advantage against a seasoned player than someone who is kinda okay at the game. Because seasoned players look for patterns in an opponent's attack to create an effective counter attack, button mashing can be very confusing due to the lack of pattern.

Cless
03-14-2005, 08:44 AM
What's this I hear? "Smart" button mashing? Oh, you are a devious one indeed... :mad:

NM
03-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Anyone who try's button bashing with a 2D beat 'em up will lose. I've played many a button basher on Street Fighter game's and they never win.

Most 3D beat 'em ups suffer from button bashing. Especially the Tekken game's as there's no parrying or counter system.

Project G
03-14-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm a button basher and proud, we don't bother wasting valuable game time learning moves, we just get on with it

Xander
03-14-2005, 12:14 PM
xD I'm so one of those with fighting games, except when people say, wow that was a good move or think I'm good or anything I tell them I'm really not and it's just luck. I can never get how to play those games properly.

Pheesh
03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
who cares. if they can win because of button mashing, good for them, except that you lost and shut up. If you can pull off combos then you're just button mashing with style and technique. Also, i know what you're thinking and i am not a button masher as i can do any combo in mortal kombat: deception (even shujinko's ones) and i am a combo master at tekken (i like the faster players like steve and hworang (spelling) because they leave no chance of a counter attack once you start and assault with one of their combo's).

Peace out and :rock:
EE

crashNUMBERS
03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Are you people implying that I suck...

Pheesh
03-14-2005, 01:06 PM
i'm implying that you're making a big deal out of nothing. Let the people enjoy the fact that they kicked a serious gamers a$$.

Peace out and :rock:
EE

Dreddz
03-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I hate it when that happens.But to be honest after im skilled with the game I can defeat they easy and laugh in there face.Button mashers always lose.They got no skill.But if they start bragging saying there the best then your rubbish then go off for a rematch and show them there awful at the game.

Project G
03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
I hate it when that happens.But to be honest after im skilled with the game I can defeat they easy and laugh in there face.Button mashers always lose.They got no skill.But if they start bragging saying there the best then your rubbish then go off for a rematch and show them there awful at the game.

I find that offensive, I don't lose and as I said earlier, I'm a button basher, but I get practice in with my fave characters. e.g. Soul Calibur 2- Nightmare, I always win

Dreddz
03-14-2005, 02:10 PM
You dunno what your doing so if you pull off a good combo and say bet you cant do that.Ill just say do it again.Skilled gamers can whoop a button basher any day any time.
But the people I hate most are people who use cheap tactics.Like in soul caliber 2.My bro uses Raphael ( spelling ) and if he was losing would go and press forward and triangle endlessly till he won. If you know what move I mean then you will know how annoying it is

Sepho
03-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Raphael is actually one of my favorite characters, and his quick single strikes are a factor in that choice. If you're a "skilled gamer", you shouldn't have to worry about it, though.

Shoden
03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
i can beat many people with basic combos such as kicking and ounching everywhere and when they refuse to near you, you then use a special attack which can deal uber damage ten keep kicking on the spot unless its a timed fight which i hate

i noly button mash in Tekken 3

Old Manus
03-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I am a button-masher. I don't have the patience to learn all the moves. Even if I learn one I balls it up and leave myself open to their extrememegadeathomfg attack.

edczxcvbnm
03-14-2005, 05:24 PM
I beat someone who knew how to play button mashing in VF4 before... heehee. Of course, I was doing what I call 'smart' button mashing, which is basically having an actual defense (blocking and such) and mashing buttons when an opening appears... and then after a little bit of mashing and figuring mashing which buttons does what, kinda mash those buttons a bit more. Haha.

I will say, though, that button mashers actually have more of an advantage against a seasoned player than someone who is kinda okay at the game. Because seasoned players look for patterns in an opponent's attack to create an effective counter attack, button mashing can be very confusing due to the lack of pattern.

Not to discredit your button mashing skillz but that guy can't play VF. He didn't have the basics I listed. He would have been able to parry your move and then hit you without you doing anything. He would have been able to break your combo after the first few hits when a bit of an opening appeared. I call those the basics. The hard stuff is being able to dodge everything and counter everything. The only time to use the block button is to grab, break a grab, deny slam damage and other things. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like that guy knows the basics.

You could beat me in that game at the arcade because I can't use an arcade stick worth a crap. I hate them SOOOOOO MUCH!

Dreddz
03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Yer in arcades all I can do is kick and punch.None of those fsncy combos

Spammerman
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh 3-D fighters no. 'cause in 2-D you can trap some very easily to a corner a button-mash your way..

HOLD IT.i know u made this thread cause of me but, YOU hate it when ppl cotrner u.I hate it when u corner me.I went over ure house and u aint let me stand up in game.ALl u did is hit me halfway there.

crashNUMBERS
03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Theres the difference half-way and no it wasn't 'cause of you idiot...

Spammerman
03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I know part of it it.Im not dumber than i look[well maybe a little

Mo-Nercy
03-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Soul Calibur strat against button mashers: Mass GI everything then grab.

Arcade button mashing is very annoying. Not just in the sense that the character on the screen is going nuts but also the sound of the guy next to you killing the machine is agonising.

I find in Soul Caliber 2, button mashing is quite an effective technique with a fast character, and that it can beat a competent player with a fair amount of regularity.
A competant player will know what to do against a Talim or Taki or Maxi player, even if their pattern is unpredicatable because they're button mashing. A competant player wait for the end of the string before following with a quick punisher (Cassandra's 236B is god. :p ) . You come up against me in an arcade, you'd be out so fast.. :love:

Most 3D beat 'em ups suffer from button bashing. Especially the Tekken game's as there's no parrying or counter system.
When was the last time you played Tekken exactly? Tekken 2? Parrying was introduced a while ago. Any half decent Tekken player can prevent against button mashing by backing up or sidestepping. Those who button mash usually do not know how to sidestep, what with being too busy mashing buttons.

Cless
03-15-2005, 12:37 AM
A competant player will know what to do against a Talim or Taki or Maxi player, even if their pattern is unpredicatable because they're button mashing. A competant player wait for the end of the string before following with a quick punisher (Cassandra's 236B is god. ) . You come up against me in an arcade, you'd be out so fast..
By competent, I kind of meant okayish at it. Like, knowing a fair few of the basics, but that being all. And I have no doubt that I would slaughtered by you at it in an aracade! :D But I'm sure that you're good at it. ;)

I just think that a button basher would tend to have slightly more sucess at Soul Caliber II, than they would have with Street Fighter II. My reasons being, there are none of these aforementioned "fast" characters in it. Okay, there are certainly speedy characters but I don't think there are any who can pull off fairly large combo hits by tapping one button in sucession.

By the way, I am in no way disrespecting Soul Calilber II, I really do think that it's a great game. I'm just saying that I think it may be a tad more "button masher" friendly than Street Fighter II. (or maybe I'm just saying that because I suck at it! ;) )

Lionx
03-15-2005, 12:47 AM
In the game, unless its totally unbalancing the game, then there is no cheap tatic. You play to win, the difference there is that no matter what happened, you win. Doing flashy and tricky combos are nice and i sometimes do them too. But what matters in the end is that you won. If that means implying "cheap" (yet its effective...so what are you trying to say?) tatics to form a "wall" for you to win, then so be it. The other player must break the wall and form a wall of his own either by pressuring or turtling.

Rase
03-15-2005, 01:11 AM
<----- Apparently disliked by half of the people in this thread.

Yeah, I button mash, but that's on the rare occasion you find be playing a fighting game. I freely admit that I suck at fighters and most of the people here can probabaly beat me at any one. The only one I'm good at really are the Super Smash Bros. games. 3D are just hard for me (dunno why) and 2D have way too many combos for me to learn, so I usually go down fast against anything. Except if I'm playing with my Fighter-impaired friends, in which case we usually jump around and punch/kick like crazy, pretending we're good. :)

Cless
03-15-2005, 01:14 AM
Agreed lionx, if it's an effective tactic and one cannot be beaten while using it. Then sure, one shouldn't stop it. In the end, as you said, the result is all that really matters; not how you achieve it. But IS "button mashing" an effective technique, I wonder? If you ask me, in any fighting game, it's only really effective against the "lower echelon" of players.

Umm... I'm starting to think now that if one has trouble with "button mashers", then perhaps they are not as good at the game as they think they are. And instead of spending time frustrated about it, maybe they should be spending that time practising the game instead! Then, come next time, they'll be better equipped to deal with the "button masher"! ;)

There you go, a possible solution if "button mashers" annoy you!

Trumpet Thief
03-15-2005, 01:22 AM
chaos: Let them do what they want. Some times it actally works, so you should let them enjoy their victory. Of course, it can depend on how good you are if you win/lose. I myself have been a total button masher in Tekken Tag Tournament, but other than that, I'm able to plan out moves etc. etc.

Lionx
03-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Button Mashing i personally think can be effective. For example Tekken games i have little idea how to play, so i mash the buttons like crazy and sometimes a random combo appears...so that sometimes works and i actually won a few rounds with that. A game like Capcom vs SNK 2 however mashing buttons generally do not work as well as with Tekken (especially since moves are more control stick based). So i think it depends on the game itself... However just because it works more often in one game than another..usually(usually) does not out weigh real skill...

Yea i agree with you too, if you lost to a button masher, maybe you are doing something seriously wrong..>_> Start forming new strats, see why you are failing against someone who is just randomly pushing buttons, and most of all..admit that you lost and probably arent as good as you think you are(either that or face the person again seriously). Practice and then rematch, and show him that you improved, and that you are better than before. Why? Because you got skills to be a better fighting game player. Playing fighting games is alot like being Ryu sometimes isnt it? ;)

crashNUMBERS
03-15-2005, 03:22 AM
Yeah giving up his life yeah! I see where your getting at. But please don't think I suck. It makes me think its true :cry: :cry:. But hey I like that practicing part 'cause it's always good to learn new combos...

Edit: Oh didn't I forget go here (http://eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57119) if you wanna feal like ryu...

Cless
03-15-2005, 04:03 AM
Look crash, I don't think you suck, if that counts for anything! :)

Because you got skills to be a better fighting game player.
If I may add to lionx's good point with an example; I like to think that I'm very good at Street Fighter II. Was I good at it when I first played the game? Was I hell!!! I'm not trying to insinuate that you may be a beginner with fighting games, but I am trying to say that there is always room for improvement. You know, you'd be be surprised at how good people can get at something if they practice. There are people out there who can do superhumanely amazing things in their respective fields. Are they all crazy genius's with special gifts? I, personally don't think so. If you asked these people how they are so good, they would tell you one word; practice.

Crash, I know that if you just put in a little bit more practice, you would be taking down these "button mashers" with ease, combos rolling off your fingers with surgeon like precision! All it takes, is a wee bit o' the ol' practice! :D
And, also as lionx said, if he does beat you, try not to get infuriated. But accept that he beat you, give credit where it's due and take it with some dignity. You'll feel better for it. ;)

Masamune·1600
03-15-2005, 05:15 AM
What's even worse is single button mashing in non-fighter games. The inability to press to a button fast enough to keep Solidus from choking Raiden is the reason my brother never finished MGS2 on Extreme.

NM
03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
When was the last time you played Tekken exactly? Tekken 2? Parrying was introduced a while ago. Any half decent Tekken player can prevent against button mashing by backing up or sidestepping. Those who button mash usually do not know how to sidestep, what with being too busy mashing buttons.

Las Tekken game I played was Tekken Tag. I've never played Tekken 4 as went of the series after playing Virtua Fighter 4.

Dreddz
03-15-2005, 05:53 PM
You cant really button mash at tekken.
Its quite a slow fighter so although you might pull off a random combo
the really good combos you will never achieve unless your really lucky
Street Fighter it a real button masher game.But big combos wont be done unless you know what your doing

Necronopticous
03-15-2005, 05:56 PM
http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details.asp?affid=-1&productID=359

Dreddz
03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
LOl so true

Lionx
03-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Then you guys honestly have sucky SF players around your area >_>

Annoying, yet you still lost. So...really what are you doing wrong? That you would lose to someone doing random things?

Swordicanus
04-14-2005, 06:20 PM
i HATE button mashers in fighting games the keep doing random moves and you can't get up...........oh GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD :tied: :barf: :crying2:

Erdrick Holmes
04-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Why are people so threatened by Mashers? They don't do well at all compaired to me. Screw them.

crashNUMBERS
04-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Don't think I suck now and SD why'd you revive the thread :cry:. And SD again cheapness is bad but thats how they find out the best characters...

Agent Proto
04-14-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't play fighter games on a regular basis, so I have to be "button mashing" if I were to play them. After all, I don't want to take the time to learn everything when I play. I know that I don't do mash buttons very often, but if I don't intend on learning to play fighter games, that's what I'll do. :p

Dreddz
04-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Why are people so threatened by Mashers? They don't do well at all compaired to me. Screw them.

Exactly what ive bin saying.
Even if someone buton mashes I can still whoop there butts cause they dont even know what there doing plus cant pull of any real combos

crashNUMBERS
04-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Nevermind. I have gotten my revenge against the button masher. I was probably not calm or something...

Lankyman
04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
No one's ever beat me by button mashing in Tekken 4 (god I love that game). Basically, if you are a half decent player, it should be pretty easy to block button mashers and then cane their ass without them having another chance to get up of the floor. All of the effective moves can't really be aquired by randomly pressing buttons, and if you know how to counter and parry then they're mince meat.

Virtua Fighter is another one where it is hard to win as a button masher, it just requires good timing to string some combos together.

black orb
04-16-2005, 07:18 PM
>>> Button mashers arent skilled fighters so they are the easiest target to beat..

Rye
04-16-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm not a BIG fighting game player, but when I do play them I may or may not button mash depending on which game. I don't really button mash in Tekken.

Flamethrower
04-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Button mashers are awesome. I love it when a fighting game expert talks like they are the second coming of Jesus because they spend six hours a day praticing combos, then some newbie who has never played that game before in their life totally owns the expert by going insane on their controller. It amuses me to no end.

crashNUMBERS
04-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Button Mash + Eddie Gordo = Ooooh, pretty moves. Seriously, you can button mash with Eddie Gordo and make it look like you know what you're doing.
thats EXTRA cheap!! But funny... :lol: :laugh: :lol: :lol:

Dreddz
04-16-2005, 09:14 PM
All Eddies moves look so cool

Rinen
04-16-2005, 10:24 PM
I haven't met a button masher that could beat me at Soul Calibur 2. Anyways, I know a lot of button mashers, they talk big, and well, their controller's aren't that good after all year of button mashing (some of them cant control their anger, so they end up hitting their controller or somethin like that). When I lose to a button masher, which doesn't come very often, usually I'd play the person again, and if I lose again, which doesnt come very often, I'd congratulate them and then go off with my business. I'm usually doing work, and when I play, I play a couple rounds and get back to the work. I know that I can beat a button masher, all I have to do is analyze their little techniques even if it does appear random. This usually can be stopped by side stepping or stepping backwards then unleashing a long series of combos. Which comes down to this, all games in a way are button mashing games. Some just appear to be slower than others.

crashNUMBERS
04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah where I live there are no "really-know-how-to-play" players. Other than my 2 best friends. They're kinda in training. The only worthy opponets I know are really my brother and sisters boyfriend...

Edit: And my cousin...

Dreddz
04-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Im not that Good At SC and Tekken anymore so there are many challenges out there. But when it comes to Guilty Gear Or Street Fighter I can barely find a worthy challenge