PDA

View Full Version : Legend Of Dragoon

Dreddz
03-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Just wondering if this game is any good.Should I buy it cause I need a good RPG fix till FFXII which I have high hopes for.
Descibe the game in as much detail if you can.
Thanks

Ichimonji
03-14-2005, 03:53 PM
It's good I guess, if you're young. The dialogue is really slow, cheesy, and cliché. Emphasis on cliché, it's chock full of it. The graphics aren't that good for it being made in 2000, especially when they really stressed the fact that it was three years in the making. They really made sure we knew that before we played the game. The music is good, and the battles are alright. I would suggest that you play a different RPG till FFXII though, like Suikoden, Star Ocean, Xenosaga, Grandia, etc... Samurai Legend Musashi is also coming out pretty soon.

But hey, play LoD if you like.

Dreddz
03-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Guess I wont.
Suikoden sounds really good but to fork out £70 for it really puts me off.Star ocean sounds the ticket

udsuna
03-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I happened to like the game. The plot is rather good... except for the one girl who just can't stop being kidnapped. It's got a lot, and I do mean a LOT of character developement. But, my favorite part is the strategic challenge. After a certain point, there will be no such thing as an "easy" boss. The leveling system is kinda slow, but very well balanced.

Actually, it kind of reminds me of a fighting game in a lot of ways. If you want the standard Final Fantasy style gameplay, this won't give it to you. But, I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Especially the dragons, there were all kinds of cool looking dragons.

LH
03-14-2005, 06:11 PM
I would suggest buying it. It should be fairly cheap now.

Like Ichimonji said, its dialogue is terribly cliche. And so is its character design and storyline too. What a surprise, the red guy uses fire and the green guy uses wind, and so on. You can probably get used to that, after all, you're here on a Final Fantasy site. The battle system is really awesome though. In order to do any significant amount of damage, you need to time your combos properly and hit the button at the right moment in the animation to extend the attacks. You can transform into a dragoon and use new and different modes of attack, which adds a whole spin-off to the battle system making it less tedious, kind of like how Xenogears uses Gear and human battles. It's also quite long and provides a good challenge. The character graphics aren't so good, but you'll find yourself getting absorbed into the background graphics. Music and sound effects are nice, and you even get a catchy tune to listen to when you go into the menu.

kikimm
03-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Absolutely not. Don't waste the money, even if it is only 10-15 dollars. I made that mistake.

Like everyone else has said, the dialogue is horribly cliche.....or just horrible to begin with. So much that I couldn't stand it, any of the three times I tried to play it. For me, dialogue is extremely important, so if you're anything like me, stay far away.

If yuo care about graphics, the game is all right in that department. The FMVs (oh which there's only a few, I think) are excelent-looking, but the voice-acting is atrocious. So it balances out.

The only thing I can say that's good about this game is the battle-system. It's pretty damn fun, and not monotonous like most RPGs. But this alone wasn't able to carry me the whole way through.

Characters also suck. But this goes along witht he dialogue. :)

I don't know, perhaps I was too harsh, but that's what I made out of that experience.

:D

Dreddz
03-14-2005, 06:42 PM
LOD sounds pretty bad so im not going to get it.
I heard from somewere that it was really good.
But that source was wrong then

Yuzuki130
03-14-2005, 07:08 PM
IT WAS GOOD! The plot is pretty good, even if it is a little cliche. And the battles are fun! There's a good mix between fun and challenging battles.

udsuna
03-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Yes, it was fun. You actually get dragged into the battles, you can't help but pay attention. And the transformations are cool, too. With most RPGs, the entire game is killing things so that you can either get further along the plot, or get cool stuff to play with. In LoD, the battles themselves stay interesting and engrossing the entire way through. Like I said, kinda reminds me of a fighting game.

Dreddz
03-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Theres those K=Legend of Legaia and Mana
Dunno if they have any connection but are they any good
Also is Vandal Hearts good as well

Sepho
03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
I would recommend Legend of Legaia. I'm currently playing through it for the third time, and it's one of my favorite PS1-era RPGs, by far.

youk
03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
i like rpg's alot and FF is the best rpg i played so far and after the FF serie came for me Legend of dragoon
LOD use's a uniqeu battle system by pushing the button at the right time you can make a powerfull combo wich you can get extra points for but you have to play it cause if i say to many about the game it aint no fun to play anymore

TheAbominatrix
03-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Legend of Dragoon is bad. The story is bad, the characters are ultra-cliched, and it's just a bad game.

Anyway, I would support the recommendations for Legend of Legaia though not everyone enjoys it, Star Ocean, and Suikoden especially. Suikoden is one of the very best games ever made.

Wiegrahf42
03-22-2005, 02:22 AM
The only good thing about LOD was the graphics were okay (though Chrono Cross's were easily superior). and the Dragoons looked cool. The story is cliched, the characters card board stereotypes, the music is uninspired and irratating, and the battle system is simply learning to press the button at the right time, no other strategy. The whole idea of the Dragoons and of course, each character wearing the matching color made me want to say "Go Go Powerangers"! Thats as sophisticated as it got.

ShunNakamura
03-22-2005, 02:54 AM
The game it is good.

I use it in comparison to the FF's in the same way I compare Doctor Seuss to Orson Scott Card, or Mary Shelly to Milton. Both are good.. but the second one is usually on a different level.

So FF's are more hashed out and unique in story but LoD is just fun to play(although replayablility is lower then in FF(for me anyways). That game is fun... and you should get it... or find someone to loan it to you... I would if we happened to live anywhere near one another.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-22-2005, 04:19 AM
I already made this thread

strawberryman
03-22-2005, 04:21 AM
You don't need to ask anybody if you should buy a game. If you want to buy it, buy it. You might be surprised and actually like it.
As you can see, everyone has thier own opinion, and you should respect them, but what you need to do is what YOU want to do.
Oh, My opinion? It was fun. Cliched, but fun.

Dreddz
03-22-2005, 09:04 PM
What game is most like it.
So is it alot like FF or like star ocean

Yuffie514
03-22-2005, 10:25 PM
i used to not like it since it :p was the like the only rivaling RPG against VIII :yuck: when it came out, but it's quite good :meditate: .

ShunNakamura
03-23-2005, 03:24 AM
What game is most like it.
So is it alot like FF or like star ocean

Please be warned there may be some spoilers... such as I may hint at future characters, or right out name them.

This is a tough question since it is different(that and I haven't played star ocean only read about it). So I'll try again with a discribtion.

In some areas there are no random battles, but if you bump into the enemy there is a battle(such as in the Chrono Series). In other areas there are "random" battles... but they aren't exactly random because you have a "danger meater" that tells you when you will roughly get in battle... basically red means danger approaches.

The battle system has already been commented upon, but I'll rehash it. You must in order to do realitive damage pull of Combo moves by hitting the button at the right time... this is quite entertaining till you have it down to memorisation then it becomes easy. However the opponent is capable of attempting to counter your combo... you will get hurt if you don't avoid the counter.

The magic(Dragoon) system is interesting at first... but well the damage comes from the combos. Unless you are Shana.. .her Dragoon form is actually quite useful. However also in Dragoon form you can pull off physical combos, which for me was slighlty easier then the later combos, but more difficult then the first lvl combos. It still doesnt' deal as much damage though(unless you are shana but she is special)

The story is simple but complete. The story is cliche'ed but can be fun. All the loose ends(or most of them) are tied up in the end so the speculations that FF's have aren't as applicatable.

While the battle system is the most remarkable thing in this game, the characters do shine. True they are cliche... but so are many FF characters.. but people still love them. In fact LoD has one of my fav characters of all time, the Martial Artist Haschel. Oh boy is he ever cool.. high evade, decent speed and attack.. low defence and really shouldn't go dragoon unless you want special effects :P. I'll give you a synops on him... so be warned this is a definate spoiler;

Also Haschel can be quite funny, namely i remember the part after Rose and dart return to the party after being dumped off of the ship, Meru asked if Rose and dart cuddled and Haschel said it was rude to ask, and then he went and asked the question himself . Also i like his dragoon physical attack:) Jumps up and blasts ya with energy, it has gotta be one of the cooler dragoon physica

Anyways you should try it, unless you really don't like the sound of it... the game is simple... but it is relaxing and fun.(btw the scene above is funnier when you actually see it :P)

Dreddz
03-23-2005, 11:15 PM
thanks
I might get it but only if its on cheap ( and when I mean cheap I mean cheap )
Sound like a cool game to play on my 3-week holiday :)

Chibi Youkai
03-24-2005, 01:56 AM
definantly overcliched, as everyone else said. The game was really good, but the ending wasn't the best. Overall, it's a great game, despite it's flaws.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
I already made this threadCan a admin lock one or something so a continuation can come from one of them? We don't need two threads about the same thing!!!!!!

Sephex
03-24-2005, 05:27 PM
My friend loves this game. I own it, but I never felt the motivation to go through it. The voice acting is hilarious, though.

T-MaN
03-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Can a admin lock one or something so a continuation can come from one of them? We don't need two threads about the same thing!!!!!!

Yo guy, chill out a bit :D

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Yer sorry for copying your thread but chill

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-24-2005, 07:48 PM
I am very calm, I just put a little "!!!!!"'s that's all.

Dreddz
03-24-2005, 07:56 PM
yer I sometimes do that

TheAbominatrix
03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
You made a thread asking if anyone liked this game. Gibbi made a thread asking opinions, if he should purchase this game. Not the same thread. And I'll risk being a bit of a modwhore and say that, if you think a thread should be closed, use the warn button feature. It makes the admins job a lot easier and thus mine a lot easier, because then Shlup doesnt take out her rage on my face xD (kidding).

Daggers64
03-25-2005, 04:57 AM
OMG Legend of Dragoon is awesome!!! If anything play it for the wonderful/colorful backgrounds and towns! And wow the locations T_T and the videos!!! XD This was one of the first RPGs I'd seen back then that actually had voice acting!!! OMG remembering this game makes me cry! It has soo many nice memories for me.
This game, FF8, and CC+CT, are my top games of all times! ^_^; Probably because they where the first games I had played.lol

I love the Dragoons in battle system! omg, I used to want to be oneXD!
I think the characters are cute and original and the plot is soo interesting and certainly not cliche!!!
I think I'm gonna have to go play it again now! ^____^//

Although, If you dont have the patience to lvl up... I highly suggest lvl cheats for this game... cause I can see how lvling might get annoying, especially if you can't do the timed button attacks.
I beat it once without, but the second time, I couldn't risist cheats. xD
This was also the first RPG I beat without a guide book, back when I was new to RPGs.

Does anybody out there remember the Website for this game? back when it came out???
OMG it was soo cool! it was like a mockup archeological dig, where they discovered a human body with a dragon-wing-like things coming out of its back! and it really made it seem like it was real!!! XD but the site dissapeared a long time ago...T_T

ShunNakamura
03-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Woah... needing to lvl up? I only needed to do that once or twice my first time.. and I never even got the ultimate combo moves.. it just takes strategy and a bit of luck(also my turbo button controller helped :P). Basically the normally playing feild should give you enough xp.

And anyways.. people spend forever lvling in FF's so I really don't see why lvling here would be a problem.. much easier then FF... all that really matters is your combo lvl.. high combos=pwnage.... just like high limits=pwnage in FF7. And the combos aren't too hard.. just takes some time to adjust.... DRAT NOW I WANT TO PLAY AGAIN!!!! grr... and I deleted all my save states last time... I don't know if I want to go through the begining again.... My fav character doesn't come to later... drat it haschel way can't you be an early bird?!

Daggers64
03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
I always wanted every combo I could get, and There where times when I couldn't beat a certain boss without getting to a high enough lvl... maybe other peope are different ^_^; but I still think this game is awesome!

Only reason I would suggest lvl cheats, is if you were interested in getting more of the story faster, without taking the time to lvl up ^_^;;; Normally playing the game through without cheating is best. XD

T-MaN
03-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Yo what about leveling up Shana and Miranda? ( Damn, it took me soo long to pump 'em up cuz they were so damn weak!) :mad:
Did any of you experience the same situation?

Chibi Youkai
03-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Yes!!! I hated both of them with a passion, and only used them when required.

ShunNakamura
03-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Yo what about leveling up Shana and Miranda? ( Damn, it took me soo long to pump 'em up cuz they were so damn weak!) :mad:
Did any of you experience the same situation?

It ain't hard to lvl them up if you have them in your party with two other strong characters. And once you get their dragoon lvled you get some nice powers.. their strength is their dragoon form.

xtreme112
03-27-2005, 10:20 AM
have you bought anything yet? sorry, i just skipped like every message here, but if you haven't, LOD is verrry long, and it has got some parts of the game that really piss you off! but the fight scenes are excellent! anyway, go with suikoden 2 don't bother with any of the others! but thats just my view, if your into sprites then go for it. if you can get your hands on an snes emulator, go and download bahamut lagoon, you'll never look back again!

meowwl
03-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Now you've gone and done it. I'm going to have to play it again..I loved the game, though it did take a lot of time to level up..it's another one where I fell in lust with one of the villains.Lloyd..bare chest and silver hair...sort of Sephiroth with short hair and amber eyes. I liked the music and the graphics. Most of the magic was pretty to look at, and I loved the fact that you could choose to have the long version of the transformations, or you could choose a short version..handy after you've sat through it for the hundredth time. The item usage is a LOT easier with a turbo controller! I liked the battle system, it gives you something to do rather than just mash buttons. I can understand people getting frustrated by the story..it's very linear, and not too complicated. Something really disturbed me about one of the characters dragoon attacks.Rose's Demon's Gate attack drops out from between her legs for crying out loud!..There is something so medieval and Freuidian about that. Other than that I loved the game..I rented it long before I bought it though.