PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to Musashi Samurai Legend

Necronopticous
03-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I was fortunate enough to pick up Musashi earlier this weekend but unfortunately have only really had time to put in a couple of hours. So far I am really enjoying myself. Surprisingly the game seems to have more in common with it's predecessor than I imagined it having. The battles seem very familiar in feel, the environments are reminiscient of Brave Fencer, and I got a wave of nostalgia from freeing some of the town NPCs from energy fields scattered around. The graphics are flat out beautiful, the cell shading and anime outlining looks awesome on screen and in play, I'm glad they chose such an original shot at it. The opening anime sequence that Gainax did for them is also great to watch. I'm really digging the whole NPC "carrying" implementation, I think it's funny and well done, makes for some good gameplay. Other than that I've noticed that the game seems slightly faster paced than I remember, which is a good thing because I was dreading it being slow and uninteresting.

On the downside Musashi's voice has went from "bad but funny" to "downright godawful", the other NPCs voices also aren't too great, but in comparison to Musashi's unbelivably bad voice they don't sound all that bad. Also, so far this game doesn't seem to have as good of a story or character development as Brave Fencer, however, perhaps I haven't played enough of the game to say so just yet. I'll let you know how it goes when I put some more hours in after school today. I hope to hear the reactions from all of you soon as well.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
03-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Have yet to rent it. Is there still a bunch of stuff named after food?

Alice
03-14-2005, 09:53 PM
AGH i totally forgot about it!

Necronopticous
03-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Have yet to rent it. Is there still a bunch of stuff named after food?The strange food references are all gone D;

AGH i totally forgot about it!Don't worry, it's not even out yet. It ships on the 15th so you can probably get it tomorrow or the next day.

Necronopticous
03-17-2005, 04:43 AM
No one has it still? Seriously?

How depressing ;(

Ichimonji
03-17-2005, 05:29 AM
It's only been out two days. Don't worry, I'll have it.

Excelsior
03-17-2005, 05:46 AM
i hope its good, i really liked the other one. and hey, i liked musashis voice in the first one. is it like basically the same story or what?

Alice
03-17-2005, 06:47 AM
im so poor i only have like.. half the moneys necesary... time to go whore myself out i suppose

Necronopticous
03-17-2005, 07:35 AM
i hope its good, i really liked the other one. and hey, i liked musashis voice in the first one. is it like basically the same story or what?The gameplay is very similar, especially when you get a few hours into the game. The story is silly like the first one but they are not connected, they are sort of the same premise though. Princess calls hero to her world to stop an evil corporation, hero cannot return until that deed is done.

Musashi is a totally different character this time around and his voice is arguably the most annoying voice ever recorded for a game. It gets less annoying just from desensitization but man, it's pretty awful.

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 02:26 AM
is it hard, cuase im tired of games bein to easy too still too easy

crashNUMBERS
03-18-2005, 02:28 AM
IT CAME OUT!!!!!!!!!! I love the original game!!!!!!!

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 02:29 AM
i still hopetheres a game in the wrld extremely hard at the beginin

Ichimonji
03-18-2005, 02:31 AM
i still hopetheres a game in the wrld extremely hard at the beginin

Play Devil May Cry 3.

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 02:37 AM
thatll wrk.DMC 1 and 2 were annoyin more than hard.Except for that friggin bird thing on the ship.I guess dante gonna have some chicken that night

Necronopticous
03-18-2005, 04:28 AM
I have died a few times... It's not easy but it's not insanely hard, some of the bosses are really tough to figure out.

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 08:02 AM
What i hate is when bosses have a red health bar and u think itshis last one but then a whole bunch of them come up

Necronopticous
03-18-2005, 08:30 AM
For anyone playing Musashi I went ahead and made a full list of the possible invention combinations and their result to save you loads of time putting the list together yourself like I did today. Enjoy.

Spammerman
03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
i looked a musashi website and he reminds me of shaman king for some reason

ArchAnemone
03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
It got reviews that aren't much above average.

8.25/7.5 from GameInformer, citing frustrating platforming, terrible voiceovers, and repetitious, mindless hack-n-slash gameplay
5.2 from IGN, citing slow framerate, repeated areas, below average voiceovers, weird music, slow movement during gameplay, lots of backtracking through areas, and little replay value

Do you have anything to say to contradict them?

crashNUMBERS
03-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Is kojiro in it??

Alice
03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I rarely trust reviewers.. cuz everyone has different tastes i like to always try it first then make an opinion. ^_^

Necronopticous
03-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Do you have anything to say to contradict them?No, not that I haven't already said. I really loved the game, but then again, check out my custom title.
Is kojiro in it??No

Necronopticous
03-23-2005, 06:14 AM
I beat it tonight, yay.

I'm not quite sure I understand the new game + mode.

Ichimonji
04-03-2005, 06:55 AM
Okay I bought it today, and I'm about two hours into it; not that far. But here's my review anyway...

I like the story; it's simple yet enjoyable; just like the first Musashi. I'm already noticing tons of elements returning to this sequel from the first one. Although there are no returning characters you'll feel a sense of nostalgia while playing this game. If you know all the tidbits from the first one, you'll definitely appreciate the little quirks.

The action in this game is pretty fun and easy to muster, but don't be looking for a DMC or GoW paced fight system. And it takes a while to level up. Just like the first one you can learn techniques from enemies, though it’s extremely tricky this time around. I enjoy the different ways you can destroy things. I haven't gotten that far like I said so I haven’t experienced the vast amount of stuff you can learn.

The graphics are absolutely amazing. The Cel-shaded/Manga thing is a nice touch. This is probably the best thing about this game... The special attacks look awesome and the bosses are outstanding. The first boss you fight is so unique and detailed. The art is sweet, especially on Gandrake's character design. The landscapes are excellently done and pretty vast. Good exploration aspects.

As you've probably heard everywhere on the internet, Mushashi sounds like a moron. That's the most disappointing thing. I understand he's supposed to be a zany character, but I mean come on... Mona Marshall was ten times better at Mushashi than Lenne Hardt. Every other voice is alright though, I don't mind them.

There's lots of stuff to collect in this game it appears. Parts, Alloy, Imagicards, abilities, items, Mystics, etc... Seems like I have my work cut out ahead of me. It's gonna be fun.

All in all, I enjoy it. I played and liked Dark Cloud, Zelda, and Chaos Legion,... So repetitivity isn't really an issue here.

Necronopticous
04-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Good man.

Ichimonji
04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Beat the game.