PDA

View Full Version : Where is my Startup folder?

Xander
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Okay, when I had Windows 95, and I had programs that always opened on start up, I just went to the Start up folder within the Windows folder, and deleted them from there. Simple. Now I have windows XP and I can't find the startup folder? And lovely Quicktime doesn't seem to give me an option to stop it always running when I start up. Help?

Samuraid
03-14-2005, 05:42 PM
You can use msconfig: Start -> Run -> "msconfig"
There is a part of that program that allows you to configure which programs are running. (check the "startup" tab)

If you feel like being really "technical", you can also disable/enable programs by editing your registry directly. Run "regedit", browse to HKeyLocalMachine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrectVersion/Run and you can edit/delete any keys for programs you don't want.

By the way, quicktime would be "qttask.exe". And feel free to disable it. :D

Yamaneko
03-14-2005, 11:58 PM
msconfig makes you restart after you change any startup values, though. Editing the actual registry item is easier (well, I think).

Samuraid
03-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Editing the actual registry item is easier (well, I think).

Yeah, exactly. But many people prefer msconfig for some reason. I'll take registry over msconfig any day. :)

rubah
03-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Maybe because msconfig has about six tabs, but it takes about five minutes of searching through the registry before anything looks likelyX.x;;

well, when you're not familiar with the registry, anyways.

crono_logical
03-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I prefer msconfig first to find which startup area is causing something to startup, since there's more than one startup location, then I'll go to the registry afterwards to disable it :p

Xander
03-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, I remember using this msconfig thing now. Thanks. =)