PDA

View Full Version : Neon Genesis Evangelion. Dub or subtitles?

Cless
03-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Okay, so my Evangelion perfect collection arrives in the post. I can't wait to get my teeth into this series! Problem is, I really want to ensure that I get the best viewing experience, and I don't know whether to watch the English dub, or the Japenese subtitled version. I always get this problem when I buy anime! :mad2:

So my questions for you are:
-Which version do you personally prefer?
and
-Is the English dubbing of a good quality?

Thanks for reading.

lord shishio
03-14-2005, 10:49 PM
subtitles, it's the only way to go.

MecaKane
03-14-2005, 10:53 PM
While Shinji is an annoying little asshole, his english voice is far too annoying for me to tollerate.
Asuka sucks too, I think.

Sepho
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
I haven't watched Evangelion (When I get a new hardrive, that problem will be solved), but subtitles versus dubbing doesn't have to be a subjective debate.

I'm almost certain I'd rather have the original voices with subtitles. I love the way Japanese sounds when being spoken, and most english dubbing is lackluster.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Before a few years ago, all of ADV's dubs were pretty crap, including Evangelion's.

XxSephirothxX
03-14-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, I thought the overall dub was fairly decent, with the exception of Shinji. However, I apparently have a higher-than-usual tolerance for English voice actors, so you'd probably like the Sub better. I like Misato's voice, though. :)

HIK248
03-15-2005, 01:27 AM
SUBs,dont even think to use the dub,on a general note the original japanese actors are better than the english speaking ones but this is epsecially true in EVA's case.NGE has one of the best seiyuu(voice actors) casts in anime history and they give some of their best performances here(Hayashibara's performance as pen-pe.. er Ayanami Rei I mean,is almost legendary :bow: )you shouldn't miss them.
I was curious one day so I downloaded the first episode in dub and started playing it,i never finished it,about half way through i stopped and deleted the file,it sucked(the actress that did Misato doesn't have half the talent Kotono Mitsuishi has)

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-15-2005, 01:33 AM
I've only seen one that had the Japanese voices, and I don't really mind the english dub, but if I got used to the subtitled I don't know what I'd say.

Although Kensuke and Touji yelling "OHAYO IKARI-KUN!" in unison was freakin' awesome.

Cless
03-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Thanks a lot for all your helpful replies. It seems that most people recommend the Japanese voices, so I think will go for them. Just one more question though, if you don't mind, as I am relatively new to anime and usually always go through the same thing when I go to watch them.

-Would you say that the quality of the Japanese voices are usually always higher than the English dubs, in general?

HIK248
03-15-2005, 01:47 AM
-Would you say that the quality of the Japanese voices are usually always higher than the English dubs, in general?

Yes,they are higher

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-15-2005, 01:47 AM
They are. The only anime where I can recommend the English cast over the Japanese one are El-Hazard, My Dear Marie, Those Who Hunt Elves, and Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. And I've seen a fairly disgusting amount of anime.

boris no no
03-15-2005, 11:23 AM
you know whats freaky?
i'm waiting for my DVD box set of eva to come though! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
what a small world! :D
i've only ever seen it in english, and didn't think it was all that bad. i've seen far worse dubbing. the original american dubbing of akira comes to mind.....
i'm really looking forward to seeing it in both japanese and english!
ooooooo i can't wait!
will it come today?
*runs down to check*
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
oooooo i hope it comes today!!!
:D :D :D

KuRt
03-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Japanese is better

boris no no
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
it didn't come today....
:crying:

XxSephirothxX
03-15-2005, 10:18 PM
I would vastly prefer Cowboy Bebop's dub over that of any other anime and/or the original japanese dialogue of any other anime. Besides Bebop, though, I really don't have much of a preference over dubs or subs in general. If you ever think about watching Final Fantasy Unlimited...do NOT listen to the English dub. It's painful beyond belief.

Cless
03-15-2005, 10:29 PM
That is pretty strange boris no no! :eek:

Shlup
03-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Evangelion probably has the least crappy of all anime dubs. Still sucks, but I don't mind watching it dubbed.

Subbed is always the way to go though. English voice actors very often suck.

boris no no
03-16-2005, 12:48 PM
That is pretty strange boris no no! :eek:
:D:D:D:D
mines just come through the post!
:love:
i'm off to watch it in the dubbed and then japanese!
oooo i'm so happy!!! :D :D

Mo-Nercy
03-17-2005, 01:30 AM
True that some dubs are of high quality. Hellsing comes immediately to mind but whenever I watch anime (which isn't very often) I go for the subbies.

Armisael
03-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Well i have to say that japanese voices-as usually of course- rock!
But english are pretty good too..I would suggest to watch it the first time with subtitles and the seond time dubbed ^_^

p.s For the record i love both Asuka's voices!

DMKA
03-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Before a few years ago, all of ADV's dubs were pretty crap, including Evangelion's.
Yeah, I just recently bought "The Perfect Collection" and well...I watched the whole thing in Japanese, then I tried to watch it dubbed and couldn't get past the first episode.

They just released "Evangelion Platinum" though, and that's got a new dub. Plus the quality in both picture and sound is amazing...it's like it's a brand new series. If you're thinking about buying it, definitely get Platinum. I didn't know about it until a few days after I bought the old box set...and I was mad. The old box set is cheaper though.

Lankyman
03-21-2005, 08:06 PM
How much better is the Platinum collection than the original, cos' i'm considering buying the platinum set when i get some cash...just wondered if anyone has seen it?

Pauten
03-21-2005, 10:48 PM
The new dub is worse than the old dub...Kwarou Sounds like Michael Jackson! :mad:

Armisael
03-23-2005, 09:16 AM
How much better is the Platinum collection than the original, cos' i'm considering buying the platinum set when i get some cash...just wondered if anyone has seen it?
Yeah i do own Pl:02,03 and 04..It's clearly better than the original..

Rinen
03-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Not to mention the video is more clear, and also on the extras, you can watch the audio commentaries by the voice actors. It was interesting. I remember explaining for a couple hours on much of the meanings of the End of Evangelion to a couple friends. It was more of a lecture though, I was surprised to find out that I was talking about EoE more than how long it actually was. I'd explain them different scenes, ask them questions, hear their interpretations for another scene, and explain to them whats what, and also still respecting their original interpretations. What brings me down to this, different strokes for different folks. I've met people who prefers dubs over subs, and people who prefer subs over dubs. Personally, I dont care, if I'm desperate enough I'll watch Hamtaro for some kind of anime craving. I have a large collection of anime, there's eight feet's worth of anime in my closet on shelves. I have more anime coming in the mail. Perhaps it's a waste of money, and perhaps not. Depends on how you look at it.

MrCloudStrife
03-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Can't decide.

and as for the Dubbed one, Asuka's voice sounds like a snobby 16-year-old high school girl.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-04-2006, 02:10 AM
I've watched the series several times dubbed, but only once subbed. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I infinitely prefer the dub.

Well, depending on which episodes you watch. The new actor they got to play Gendo in 21-26 (Platinum) and the first one they had for Kaworu were pretty terrible.

kikimm
03-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Please don't revive year old threads. :DDDD